Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Fifteen of Many posted:

I started playing The Outer Worlds and I can't put my finger on why but it feels really hollow? Obviously the budget was smaller than a typical modern Fallout game but it just feels like there's so much less going on in the world that the kinda basic mission design isn't masked enough. I just did a quest series that boiled down to fast travelling back and forth between the same three or four points several times on the second major planet, occasionally fighting one of the two or three enemy types that the game has shown so far. I usually have a pretty high tolerance for games that people say are mediocre but this is just missing for me in a way that is surprising me. Also it seems like something is hosed up with the visuals, the day night cycle alternates between impossibly dark and wild neon haze.

I really liked the setting and just general art-style and the combat was mediocre, which means it was better than in the majority of open world first person RPGs, but yeah everything else was pretty under-cooked. Never experienced any hosed-up contrast during day/night cycle, so that might be something on your end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

Yeah it was really disappointing coming from Obsidian, though from what I can tell it was commercially successful.

They just recently said it crossed like 5M sales, which is baffling.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

Strange Brigade for $4 including all the DLC sounded too good to pass up so my friends and I picked it up, it seemed neat when it came out but maybe not $50 great and the reviews kinda back that up. Looking forward to checking it out.

Game seems alright? I guess? I managed to rope a couple friends in so that's good but I'm definitely glad I didn't pay $50 for it. Feels almost tower defense-y sometimes with the traps that you can activate while defending against hordes of enemies. There is an actual horde mode that could be neat.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's like gamers want bad.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Sab669 posted:

They just recently said it crossed like 5M sales, which is baffling.

you gotta cast a very wide net in a shallow pond to catch the most fish 🧠🧠🧠

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

anilEhilated posted:

It's like gamers want bad.

Baldurs Gate 3 setting gamer expectations to impossibly high levels only for the entire video games industry to be single handedly saved at the last moment by Todd Howard himself

:worship:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Well, that doesn't sound great. I'd hate to be stuck using only one or two skills forever. Do you lose ALL your progress every time you switch skills, or only progress which hasn't reached the next tier or unlock in the skill? I would assume the latter.

There's a minimum skill level that goes up as your character levels. So towards the end game when you reset a skill or a slot in a new one it already has some points in it. I think it maxes out at like minimum level 10 (of 20), and you might have some +skill points from gear that'll also add points to use right away.

I switch skills around quite a bit in LE and rarely feel like I have to grind out anything at all for them to be useful. Lower levels are very fast and except for maybe bleeding-edge stuff skills are more than viable with like 12-14 points.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Outer Worlds was Obsidian's first attempt at doing a Bethesda style RPG. I have faith that they've heard the feedback loud and clear plus are able to use the experience to make a better sequel. People say the DLC were better than the main game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fez_machine posted:

Outer Worlds was Obsidian's first attempt at doing a Bethesda style RPG.

sounds like they nailed it tbh

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
I don't post much and nothing of value is lost there, but I wish to confirm what others have already said: Slay the Princess is very good and absolutely worth getting.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Finished alan wake 1. I would suggest anyone else interested in catching up on the story before playing 2 just watch a video instead because the whole thing averages out to "very mediocre" at this point, but the two special feature episodes at least were considerably better than the main game, particularly the second special feature. the game would have held up much better if that was the standard.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I finished a full playthrough of Slay The Princess. It's an interesting game. And a wild one plot wise. As in LSD MIGHT help you understand what the gently caress is happening here. But if you do like horror visual novels, it's a recommend.

I also got Othercide. If you are a 40K player and want a Sisters Of Battle Game, then this is going o be your poo poo in terms of vibe. I'm still wrapping my head around how this game works but it's a really fun turn based tactics game,.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 30, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think Outer Worlds got a lot more hate here than it otherwise would have because Disco Elysium was just out simultaneously and Outer Worlds' paper thin centrist commentary was placed in stark contrast. I thought the story and companions were basically fine as video game stories go. It was the terrible gear and ammo system and useless perks that made it a stinker in my eyes. If it had been a Creation Engine game I think mods could have fixed it pretty easily.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Any opinions on Kingdom eighties ?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
That 5 million figure has to count Gamepass downloads.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ninjoatse.cx posted:

That 5 million figure has to count Gamepass downloads.
I doubt it. A Game Pass download isn't a copy sold by any reasonable metric. Considering it has had two releases and came out on every platform, 5 million is not a huge number.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not that companies don’t use completely inane metrics for their products all the time but 5m is probably reasonable for Outer Worlds. As noted it’s Obsidian doing a Bethesda, who basically doesn’t have competition in their space and it was very blatantly marketed as such.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Jack Trades posted:

Severed Steel owns a whole lot.

It really does :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/grf0IFO.mp4

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SUPER

HOT

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

That's not the worst comparison, in that they're both slick stylish games with a gimmick. In Severed Steel, you're invincible as long as you're sliding, diving through the air, or wallrunning. You can also activate slow motion for extra style points. The game is basically "do cool anime stunts or die."

Also, the exe file for the game is named "ThankYouVeryCool.exe" if that helps.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Koburn posted:

Alan Wake 2 is going to flop hard. The remastered original already underperformed 'Alan Wake Remastered has sold less than Remedy hoped.'

It's a sequel to a 6/10 game that was originally released 13 years ago! How could it possibly succeed?

and it's an epic exclusive, and the specs are ludicrous, and it has a season pass that the devs are going to be forced to make content for even though nowhere near enough people will have bought the base game to justify it. So what exactly does it have going for it?

It's gonna have to get 10/10s across the board to spark any interest. Remedy is a publically traded company (who knew?) My hot stock tip of the week is to sell now/ or buy and hope for an acquisition post gigaflop.

Been a while since I've read this thread and it was funny that this was the last unread post.

I am probably not going to get to play it before the end of spooky season but I will be checking out WORLD OF HORROR 1.0

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I have to admit that all the praise for Slay the Princess has me intrigued, but I'm also a huge baby. How bad does the horror aspect get? Are there jumpscares? :ohdear:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I tried the Severed Steel demo and concluded that it was a very slick and cool-looking game that I am completely incapable of playing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I have to admit that all the praise for Slay the Princess has me intrigued, but I'm also a huge baby. How bad does the horror aspect get? Are there jumpscares? :ohdear:

The horror is kind of more in the realm of the creepy cosmic style overall, though there are a few nods to different genres of horror that include some bloodier stuff. It's all abstracted in the game's cartoony style though and for me it was never quite what I'd consider "gory".

I don't think there are jump scares but didn't see all the content in my playthrough so no promises. Doesn't really seem like the game's style though

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The devs said they tried avoiding jumpscares. They aren't fans of it.

There's one scene that's like an explosion. I could see that getting people if they're tense. The empty mound erupting in hands.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There are definitely a few paths that can get quite gory but it's more existential and/or cosmic horror plus a dose of body horror, plus some heavy gaslighting.

A few paths have her ripping her arm off, one's slowly graphically burning to death and one is very combat heavy and will involve on-screen disembowelment

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 30, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Funny that Starfield made CP2077 look good enough to try playing again. It’s a pretty fun ride, though I switched to foreign VAs because English male V makes my toes curl.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

buglord posted:

Funny that Starfield made CP2077 look good enough to try playing again. It’s a pretty fun ride, though I switched to foreign VAs because English male V makes my toes curl.

Cyberpunk 2077 has always been good, but it's a lot better now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

it turns out that you really can polish a turd

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

buglord posted:

i actually don't mind male v, he's just a video game protagonist guy, he's fine. female v is good and probably better, but she's no jennifer hale.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

fez_machine posted:

Outer Worlds was Obsidian's first attempt at doing a Bethesda style RPG. I have faith that they've heard the feedback loud and clear plus are able to use the experience to make a better sequel. People say the DLC were better than the main game.

inXile is taking a crack at it! theirs is going to be called Clockwork Revolution

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2439280/Clockwork_Revolution/

a riff on Arcanum with some of the devs. I cannot imagine it being much better or worse. Im sure Ill end up playing it if its decent, and whatever tone deaf Steampunk crap that slips past a bunch of game developers isnt actually harmful or disgusting.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

fez_machine posted:

New... Vegas?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

anilEhilated posted:

New... Vegas?

No, that was a good game. :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

man i'm really digging alan wakenghi's darkplace, it's just the right kind of pulpy

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

wizard2 posted:

inXile is taking a crack at it! theirs is going to be called Clockwork Revolution

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2439280/Clockwork_Revolution/

a riff on Arcanum with some of the devs. I cannot imagine it being much better or worse. Im sure Ill end up playing it if its decent, and whatever tone deaf Steampunk crap that slips past a bunch of game developers isnt actually harmful or disgusting.

Isn't that a Bioshock-like rather than a Bethsoft-like?

anilEhilated posted:

New... Vegas?

You're right but I wanna say that it doesn't count because Obsidian didn't have to roll their own engine. Also it was a good game.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Outer Worlds is a good game, just not a good Obsidian game.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

fez_machine posted:

Isn't that a Bioshock-like rather than a Bethsoft-like?

it says stuff like "its a first person rpg from the people who brought you Arcanum" with "choices matter, butterfly effect narrative, blah blah nothing you havent heard before" so I couldnt tell you. the general look def gives off the same crappy negative emotional response as looking at Bioshock Infinite.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Capcom talking about how they're going to try to lock down those filthy filthy PC mods in their games, probably causing another Monster Hunter World: Iceborne situation when their in-house anti-tamper bullshit hosed everyone's performance up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT5bwwvDv00&t=820s

Gotta make sure the users can't violate public order and morals without permission. Performance and stability be damned.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Capcom talking about how they're going to try to lock down those filthy filthy PC mods in their games, probably causing another Monster Hunter World: Iceborne situation when their in-house anti-tamper bullshit hosed everyone's performance up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT5bwwvDv00&t=820s

Gotta make sure the users can't violate public order and morals without permission. Performance and stability be damned.
Wonder if this was inspired the Nude Chun Li Incident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m inspired by the nude Chun-Li incident