Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

So I'm not into racing much but my brother in law works at Michelin and asked if I wanted tickets to the road Atlanta race. Said sure and turns out we are in the hospitality tower. Pretty cool, pretty track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

lamentable dustman posted:

So I'm not into racing much but my brother in law works at Michelin and asked if I wanted tickets to the road Atlanta race. Said sure and turns out we are in the hospitality tower. Pretty cool, pretty track

:nice: Petit Le Mans is a great race. Supposed to start very soon here; have fun!

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Was that a dentist who ruined the Porsche race?

Oh not quite.

Another sick stint by Doriane Pin.

Brass Hand fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 14, 2023

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It's awesome that bros in sport cars cant just demolition derby away a climatic race to the finish

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Its fine as long as youve got a roll cage

E yesterday two funny cars decided to hug it out at 200mph. Ill throw it up on YouTube, because it was some pretty sick contact. Both guys got out and cut promos as best they could.

coconono fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 15, 2023

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Unfortunate end to a great race and a great season. Gotta say GTP/hypercar convergence really has made for some great racing in both series.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

https://youtu.be/uPjdW-OjHy4?si=urMDKUKzrr_VjwQ2

Really fuckin scary live

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cutting straight away from the crash before cars have stopped is a giveaway how worried they were, goodness. Thats a scary one.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

harperdc posted:

Cutting straight away from the crash before cars have stopped is a giveaway how worried they were, goodness. Thats a scary one.

That's standard procedure. Anytime there's a track incident, immediate cut away. If ppl are ok they do the replay and announcers go back to schtick.

NHRA/Texas Motorplex just honored my homie Mickey the Sound Guy. Legit legend of the biz. Dude has like 80 hours at least of old road stories.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does WRC stuff go here? It's finally happening relatively close by so I wanted to check out the Central European rally, but I saw that they sell tickets and there are none actually available for any of the days: https://www.ticketmaster.com/central-european-rally-tickets/artist/3025140

I've been to some other lower-profile rallies and I could just show up and watch cars go vroom :shrug: am I completely hosed now or is it ok to just drive out somewhere near the stages and hike up to an observation spot?

E: I guess they have event tickets here: https://www.centraleuropeanrally.eu/tickets

quote:

Access to all spectator points (standing room area) on all days incl. service park except Prague and Klatovy
No access to open grandstands (seating area) at spectator points and at the start and finish line, as well as in Prague and Klatovy
Parking at the spectator points and at the service park is not included
Children's ticket is only valid when accompanied by an adult

not clear what this means though? So there's no access to Prague/Klatovy events at all? Or does it exclude service park in Prague/Klatovy?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 24, 2023

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Vegas this week for the NHRA. Usually a pretty chill experience so hopefully no cars eat each other.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

My wife and I were walking the hills of Wales during our honeymoon and stumbled straight into the rally course back in 2018, so I can't imagine you can't just find a spot somewhere along the way. Spectator points sounds like official setups at the start of something.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Does WRC stuff go here? It's finally happening relatively close by so I wanted to check out the Central European rally, but I saw that they sell tickets and there are none actually available for any of the days: https://www.ticketmaster.com/central-european-rally-tickets/artist/3025140

I've been to some other lower-profile rallies and I could just show up and watch cars go vroom :shrug: am I completely hosed now or is it ok to just drive out somewhere near the stages and hike up to an observation spot?

E: I guess they have event tickets here: https://www.centraleuropeanrally.eu/tickets

not clear what this means though? So there's no access to Prague/Klatovy events at all? Or does it exclude service park in Prague/Klatovy?

WRC is welcome here, as this thread is the Island of Misfit Races.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

having been in some real holes for racing, its super nice LVMS racecontrol is an actual race control, and people are able to work like normal professionals.

coconono fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 25, 2023

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mobby_6kl posted:

Looks like you can still roll up and get tickets

However to address your other question - even at WRC level if you can get into the stages by a hike they aint gonna stop you unless you are trespassing on someone's private property - which "mostly" isnt the organiser's problem but be aware a pissed off property owner can make a lot of trouble for the organiser so when in doubt dont or ask first. There is always a lot of private viewing going on and locals that know the roads and ways to access.

Another way is that you can volunteer for a road closure. Volunteers get access to any other paying spot (usually) and as well when you are on duty you have a spot for yourself - which will usually have people show up because of the above. Last time I was at a Euro WRC event I hiked a few kms and found a crossroads and then settled in for the day.

Dont be an idiot about it and it'll be a good day. The new cars are insane up close.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Watching the last ELMS race.

Anyone know why Michael Fassbender still has a racing licence?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dudley posted:

Watching the last ELMS race.

Anyone know why Michael Fassbender still has a racing licence?

Cause money

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

For Porsche's parts department certainly.

For everyone who didn't see.

He wiped out an LMP2 car, which is an effort in a GTE. Pitting to fix that meant he hadn't hit minimum drive time.

So he came back out with 10 minutes to go, immediately spun in turn 1, wiped out an LMP3.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Orecas too apparently :v:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Series with multiple classes seem harder for bad drivers because of constant passing, rather than the trains you see in most races with more equal cars.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dudley posted:

For everyone who didn't see.

He wiped out an LMP2 car, which is an effort in a GTE. Pitting to fix that meant he hadn't hit minimum drive time.

So he came back out with 10 minutes to go, immediately spun in turn 1, wiped out an LMP3.

I'm actually kind of impressed at that level of binmanship.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

smackfu posted:

Series with multiple classes seem harder for bad drivers because of constant passing, rather than the trains you see in most races with more equal cars.

The documentary series Porsche put out about him show them jumping him from one "season" (it's like 4 or 5 weekends) in the Porsche Racing Experience Germany series in a cup car straight to the ELMS in the RSR which is a crazy leap. Not even a run in a proper Porsche Cup series or the LMC in the GT3 car with 1 other class, straight to the biggest GT car they have in a 4 class mix. I'm actually surprised he's not somehow worse.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Xisticide posted:

The documentary series Porsche put out about him show them jumping him from one "season" (it's like 4 or 5 weekends) in the Porsche Racing Experience Germany series in a cup car straight to the ELMS in the RSR which is a crazy leap. Not even a run in a proper Porsche Cup series or the LMC in the GT3 car with 1 other class, straight to the biggest GT car they have in a 4 class mix. I'm actually surprised he's not somehow worse.

I distinctly remember that, when fenderbender went on top gear, stig/clarkson were incredibly surprised at his performance. He is not a terrible driver but i feel like he reached his maximum level and he is running on classes that belong to far better drivers.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

He should try spec Miata

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Orecas too apparently :v:

Hey now, the LMP3 was a Ligier!

SlowBloke posted:

I distinctly remember that, when fenderbender went on top gear, stig/clarkson were incredibly surprised at his performance. He is not a terrible driver but i feel like he reached his maximum level and he is running on classes that belong to far better drivers.

These guys can usually lap in isolation, mainly because they can afford to spend as long as they like pounding round an empty track in bumfuck nowhere and no-one thinks to hurriedly send them out on cold slicks onto a slightly damp track.

Then they have to race someone and it all goes to absolute poo poo.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I mean he's obviously very good compared to the average dentist who doesn't do high level endurance racing.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Sounds worse than what happened at Petit Le Mans and teams there were bitching and moaning about driver quality. They did have an LMP2 take out like 3 cars though.

(I'm not halfway through yet but I did see some screenshots of the end :eyepop:)

Arcella fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 26, 2023

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It has been been zero days since Ive seen a nude racing fan

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

High quality on-board clip of various cars from Le Mans Classic in the summer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCSYTVaottg

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

mobby_6kl posted:

The onboards from the rally look insane with the narrow roads and the greasy conditions; hope you were able to find a spot to watch a bit.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

not gonna post vid but I just saw a motorcyclist take the worst possible spill during the Summit ET series. Dernoch(?) won the race but almost immediately lost the bike and hit hard at 150mph. He was conscious when they loaded him up tho.

here's the one from yesterday which was just as scary but the dude got out because he had a full roll cage

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cy-CnEPLZtA/

coconono fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 29, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Looks like you can still roll up and get tickets

However to address your other question - even at WRC level if you can get into the stages by a hike they aint gonna stop you unless you are trespassing on someone's private property - which "mostly" isnt the organiser's problem but be aware a pissed off property owner can make a lot of trouble for the organiser so when in doubt dont or ask first. There is always a lot of private viewing going on and locals that know the roads and ways to access.

Another way is that you can volunteer for a road closure. Volunteers get access to any other paying spot (usually) and as well when you are on duty you have a spot for yourself - which will usually have people show up because of the above. Last time I was at a Euro WRC event I hiked a few kms and found a crossroads and then settled in for the day.

Dont be an idiot about it and it'll be a good day. The new cars are insane up close.
Thanks! That's what I suspect but ended up just buying a rally pass to be sure I don't gently caress up and miss stuff on my first WRC event. Overall the whole thing was a bit of a mixed bag but it's not due to any of the event (other than the nature of rallies).

We had an official start and a special stage here on Thursday, but it wasn't included in the rally pass and I'd have to take a day off to watch it, which could be a bit of an issue since I already had last Friday and Monday off for another trip. So I decided to skip that and take off after work for the Klatovy stage. At least that was the plan, but I slept like poo poo and head a headache and generally felt terrible so I didn't get any work done anyway so oh well.

• Klatovy (I was at FZ1) was dark and wet, so I basically saw blinding headlights for a few seconds before they blasted through and disappeared behind a turn. This was like 30EUR or 18 with the pass :)
  • SS6 that I showed up for on Friday was canceled after like 3 cars because of dangerous fan behavior lol. I was still feeling like poo poo but I did make it to another stage on Friday
  • Saturday I drove to SS9 for 8:15. I parked before reaching the FZ I had planned when I saw lots of cars on the roads and hiked through a forest. Turned out to be a pretty good spot
  • Decided to leave soon after WRC cars so I could make it to SS11 (Bayerischer Wald) at 11:05. Should be plenty of time right? Nope, absolutely horrific traffic in Passau meant that I got to the parking like 20 minutes after start and had to wait for the shuttle bus. I get to the stage and they stop (or postpone? the guy was speaking too much in German) the rest of the race after I see 2 cars.
  • At that point it wouldn't make sense to go back to the first stage as it's way too far and experience shows it doesn't work out :v: so I had lunch and movd to FZ2
  • On Sunday the two stages were pretty close (like 15 minute drive) and I thought I might be able to see them all but decided to stay put at Passauer Land

Lucasar posted:

The onboards from the rally look insane with the narrow roads and the greasy conditions; hope you were able to find a spot to watch a bit.
Yeah the drivers were complaining about it a lot lol. The rural roads there can be very narrow, barely wide enough for a single car. Plus in places it was dry but still wet elsewhere, there's some mud or dirt on the roads in places too.

I never got too close but had some decent viewing opportunities. By far the best one was the last Passauer Land FZ1, on their map you could see that you should see the track and two points but a flat map doesn't really show how cool the place is.

The start line is right ahead and you can follow the cars to the right over some relatively straight segments for quite a while before they disappear.

Then after 1.5 minutes or so they show up behind your back, they're visible for a second between the trees in the hills and then go down on the left of the photo through the hairpin.

If you go to the top of the hill, you can watch this too:
https://i.imgur.com/eIoMQVW.mp4

I just put away my camera and was loving around with the slomo on my phone, so I wasn't even expecting anything, still upset I was off by like half a second.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Noob rally question: How far apart are cars released? In the case of an off like that, is there a chance there's a car coming through in another minute or is the following car paused until it's clear?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Usually every 30 seconds or so, and there's no real way to "Pause" another car once it's started.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Nybble posted:

Noob rally question: How far apart are cars released? In the case of an off like that, is there a chance there's a car coming through in another minute or is the following car paused until it's clear?

I believe the commentary this weekend said they were spaced 2 minutes apart, but Rally Sweden says the top drivers get spaced 3 minutes apart with 1 minute for drivers in the lower classes.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I guess I'm going on much shorter stages.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah probably depends on that stage, there it was about 1.5 minutes (though maybe 2, I measured myself approximately), you could watch them start and then catch the previous car on the opposite side make that hairpin.

That car that went off just drove on grass for a bit before returning to the road somewhere downhill effectively cutting this hairpin, so nbd:

I think if the organizers know of a huge crash they'll pause the starts but there might be already many cars on the road so it's more like hope you don't crash :shrug:

E: holy poo poo I haven't seen this, apparently from SS5 though I wouldn't be surprised if fans standing like that is what caused the next stage to get canceled. What a bunch of morons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGYTLamffkQ

e: just posted some pics in AI:

So I was at the WRC Central European Rally and despite some poo poo getting in the way, like beign sick and lovely weather, and missing a stage because of traffic, it was pretty fun.

Thursday

Friday

The stage got canceled because of dangerous fan behavior after like 3 cars but at least I saw someone show up in a mint Sierra

The next stage got dark really fast as it was just around sunset

Saturday

Got to Bayerischer Wald late because of terrible traffic on the way to the stage, and they canceled or delayed the rest race after a few cars :v:

Another Fan Zone had local live music though to keep everyone busy until the cars returned for the second go

Sunday
Only two stages on Sunday and I stayed at Passauer Land

From the same spot you could see another section of the track behind you

Going up that hill gives another view of the start and that hairpin

There are some very smart people running a Porsche, an Alpine and a Fiata:

I put the camera away and was loving around with the phone when this happened
https://i.imgur.com/eIoMQVW.mp4
wasn't even expecting to capture anything (I saw absolutely nothing happen the entire weekend) and so I'm still mad it's off by like 0.5 seconds. They just slid down the grass hill and got back on the road luckily

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 30, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Huh, I completely missed that 8 Hours of Bahrain was today - but at least Ill get to watch the last three hours or so.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Huh, I completely missed that 8 Hours of Bahrain was today - but at least Ill get to watch the last three hours or so.

I don't remember the points specifics, is this race going to be the WEC championship decider or Toyota has already won?

Edit: Holy gently caress the ferrari - Porsche fight for third place is awesome.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

I don't remember the points specifics, is this race going to be the WEC championship decider or Toyota has already won?

Edit: Holy gently caress the ferrari - Porsche fight for third place is awesome.

It's between the 7 and the 8, but the 7 needs to win and have the 8 finish... 4th I think so it's basically over unless the 8 breaks down.