Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
http://www.purifresh.com/erv.html
there are people making window units that are heat recovery ventilators but i have no idea how well they work or whether they're worth the cost compared to upgrading your HVAC. but if you rent or can't afford an upgrade, maybe it's helpful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Costo cancelled my moth juice. They had three doses on Saturday if I came in Right Then, and then nothing else until November 13. I of course jumped on that, but I have a Really Important work meeting the next day, so I guess I have to push it off.

I am going to have a house full of various utility and moving and other folks all of next week. I was really hoping to have been juiced by then. Maybe if I call every day until Friday?

EDIT that I did call and got a slot for Thursday. Which is a little risky, since I have something on Saturday that I can neither miss nor reschedule, but I think it's worth it.

Hungry Squirrel has issued a correction as of 17:20 on Oct 30, 2023

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
The third moderna shot gave my spouse spontaneous urticaria, untouched by a Pfizer shot, but it's been a few weeks since the moth juice and last night for the first time in almost 2 years he skipped an antihistamine and it hasn't popped up yet so... fingers crossed, all hail the moth.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

maxwellhill posted:

the exhaust sucks

I can tell when people in my building are cooking because the aranet goes up several hundred points. I think we're the only unit with a range hood and outdoor vent.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SixteenShells posted:

http://www.purifresh.com/erv.html
there are people making window units that are heat recovery ventilators but i have no idea how well they work or whether they're worth the cost compared to upgrading your HVAC. but if you rent or can't afford an upgrade, maybe it's helpful?

Can't speak to these window units, but I run a small 3D print farm as a side gig and I use an inline heat recovery ventilator (which I imagine is basically identical to this thing aside from the form factor and requiring me to run ducts to a window) like this in my workshop. Works fine to both keep the room extremely well ventilated and avoid huge amounts of heat loss. I bet they'd work great if your primary concern is cooking and you can manage to fit one in a window near your kitchen.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/NateB_Panic/status/1719048017485963324?s=20

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
looks familiar....

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Need a BoJo version of :nsa:

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Jesus Christ.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

went to several Halloween parties, masked indoors but unmasked and distanced outdoors

rapid test kept in fridge for the past two years, expiration date was January of this year. still got a strong C line.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
"The test of a civilization is the way that it cares for its helpless members."

I've always heard that Gandhi said it, but looks like it might be misattributed. In any case, think we have found out our civilizations have pretty thin veneers.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

If only he'd listened to his own advice

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Zugzwang posted:

Need a BoJo version of :nsa:

was that whiteboard the origin of this smiley?

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

lol, 95% of the people who are going to act outraged about this in the UK took off their masks and went out to eat the second the Tories gave them permission to do so, and they'd 100% reject an end to indoor dining no matter how many immunocompromised lives that would save.

It turns out that everyone is Boris Johnson when you take their dinner away (or pass it to them through a window). Some are just more quiet about it.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
As long as you don't SAY you're sacrificing them for treats you're free to sacrifice them for treats.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
Can't find anywhere with Novavax around me. Guess I'm getting another old vax.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Steve Yun posted:

was that whiteboard the origin of this smiley?

No, iirc it was a slide deck from the NSA about how they intercept every piece of data transmitted on the internet

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Why Am I So Tired posted:

lol, 95% of the people who are going to act outraged about this in the UK took off their masks and went out to eat the second the Tories gave them permission to do so, and they'd 100% reject an end to indoor dining no matter how many immunocompromised lives that would save.

It turns out that everyone is Boris Johnson when you take their dinner away (or pass it to them through a window). Some are just more quiet about it.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Gunshow Poophole posted:

No, iirc it was a slide deck from the NSA about how they intercept every piece of data transmitted on the internet

correct

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Boris, like Trump before him, was ahead of the curve and said the things that people didn't want to admit

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

went to several Halloween parties, masked indoors but unmasked and distanced outdoors

rapid test kept in fridge for the past two years, expiration date was January of this year. still got a strong C line.

I haven't heard about keeping RATs in the fridge! Is that based on anything or just a hunch?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Yeah definitely refrigerate your COVID tests.

A safe bet generally for any protein based test, medicines and other things in a solution that contain water or are administered at "room temperature" etc, is that you are better off storing them in an airtight container or at least a Ziploc freezer bag type of deal and keeping them above freezing but also below the normal room temperature, at a steady temperature, and not exposed to UV light. Airtightness is important because humidity is just as bad as temperature so don't skimp on that just to keep your poo poo cold when you'd be better off with it in a drawer in the coldest room in your house or a pantry or whatever.

So, fridges are good as long as you keep the tests away from wherever the cold air is coming in, especially if you have a spot that gets so cold you sometimes have ice forming or whatever. Freezing bad.

(As to the why, it is because stuff is generally less reactive the colder you make the molecules, so they decay/evaporate/degrade/whatever slower when they are colder, with the Too Far point being when you hit freezing and things start to break due to ice crystals and the like. Not all medicine is the same, eg epipens iirc expressly should NOT be stored cold, so read the directions for the product to see the temperature range first)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

What are the odds of getting two false-negatives in a row on a RAT? My wife has precisely covid symptoms - wet cough, extreme exhaustion, sore throat, the works. She tested twice while having these symptoms, about 36 hours apart. She did the whole extra-thorough swab of throat, cheek, both nostrils for both tests. I don't have any symptoms yet, but I figure it's only a matter of time.

I know it could just be the flu, or RSV (we both had RSV last winter, brutal poo poo), but I can't help but be a little paranoid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Fansy posted:

I haven't heard about keeping RATs in the fridge! Is that based on anything or just a hunch?

it was just a hunch but seems to be working now a year in?

have not tried unrefrigerated year old RAT for comparison. but if you see a strong Control line it’s a good sign

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 22:50 on Oct 30, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Taffer posted:

What are the odds of getting two false-negatives in a row on a RAT? My wife has precisely covid symptoms - wet cough, extreme exhaustion, sore throat, the works. She tested twice while having these symptoms, about 36 hours apart. She did the whole extra-thorough swab of throat, cheek, both nostrils for both tests. I don't have any symptoms yet, but I figure it's only a matter of time.

I know it could just be the flu, or RSV (we both had RSV last winter, brutal poo poo), but I can't help but be a little paranoid.

often a positive RAT test will happen 2-3 days after symptom onset

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Taffer posted:

What are the odds of getting two false-negatives in a row on a RAT?

assuming a 65% false-negative rate, about 42%. little less than a coinflip

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

pretty good! I think the last good study on this was that RATs are only like 70% effective. the tools et c

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
a lot of why a false negative happens is testing too early, before detectable virus starts shedding, which is often days after symptoms

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Taffer posted:

What are the odds of getting two false-negatives in a row on a RAT?
(..)

Others have given you some answers and the truth is it is complex and hinges on a bunch of factors, if you want the complication of the calculation, the article below (or just my post there) should give you some idea.

Basically - and as others have noted - the chance of that happening is much higher than you would expect.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Steve Yun posted:

a lot of why a false negative happens is testing too early, before detectable virus starts shedding, which is often days after symptoms

Really loving sucks that tests take multiple days to detect Covid yet you have to start a course of Pax within five days of symptom onset. Sure would be cool if that free market could whip up a test that didn't suck.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

DickParasite posted:

Really loving sucks that tests take multiple days to detect Covid yet you have to start a course of Pax within five days of symptom onset. Sure would be cool if that free market could whip up a test that didn't suck.

The free market will solve that problem, by gatekeeping Pax so hard the timeline doesn't matter. Bing bong etc.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Jesus, I knew they weren't reliable but that's a lot worse than I thought. Thanks all, we'll go through another round of testing.

Now I'm wondering if the RSV we thought we had last winter was actually Covid - we both tested twice, over 24 hours apart, but it was all shortly after symptom onset. I assumed 4 negatives was pretty reliable proof that it's not covid but I guess not!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Taffer posted:

U-DO Burger posted:

At-home COVID-19 tests most accurate on day 4 of symptoms, study suggests retesting
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wait-days-taking-home-covid-test-youre-sick/story?id=103670646

When my family got COVID last month, we blew through about 10 tests across our family members before we finally got positive results, which was about four to six days after symptoms started for each of us. And by then it was already too late to start Paxlovid for my wife

Our family participates in a research study that gives us free weekly PCR tests, and those didn't pick up our COVID infections either. :shrug:

e: I guess I should clarify, my wife tested positive on her third antigen test on Day 6. PCR test on Day 4 missed it too. No clue how likely that is

U-DO Burger has issued a correction as of 23:17 on Oct 30, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

U-DO Burger posted:

e: I guess I should clarify, my wife tested positive on her third antigen test on Day 6. PCR test on Day 4 missed it too. No clue how likely that is

PCR false negative is pretty drat low, 95%, but 1/20 comes up more often than you would think. We had an even rarer 2% PCR false positive, although I'm kinda guessing a good chunk of those false + are operator error. Mixed up with someone else's test, something like that.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"Long-term Prognosis at 1.5 years after Infection with Wild-type strain of SARS-CoV-2 and Alpha, Delta, as well as Omicron Variants"

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(23)00760-9/fulltext posted:

Highlights
• Trajectory of long COVID in SARS-CoV-2 wild-type, Alpha, Delta, and Omicron
• Similar patterns of symptoms and severity of long COVID across all four variants
• No clinically significant decline in median severity up to 1.5 years after infection
• More than 50% of long COVID patients failed to improve using any outcome measure
• Patients infected with Omicron may experience severe non-improving long COVID

Abstract
Objectives
Knowledge is limited on how changing SARS-CoV-2 variants may translate into different characteristics and affect prognosis of patients with long COVID, especially following Omicron variants. We compared long-term prognosis of patients in a Danish Post COVID Clinic infected with wild-type strain, Alpha, Delta, or Omicron variants as well as the pre-Omicron compared to the Omicron period.

Methods
At enrollment a Post COVID symptom Questionnaire (PCQ), and standard health scores, were registered, and repeated four times until 1.5 years after infection. PCQ was the primary outcome to assess severity of long COVID, and delta PCQ to assess failure to improve.

Results
A total of 806 patients were enrolled. Patients infected with Omicron and Delta variants presented with more severe long COVID (median PCQ 43 in Delta vs 38 in wild-type, P=0.003) and health scores (EQ5D-index was 0.70 in Omicron vs 0.76 in wild-type, P=0.009 and 0.78 pre-Omicron, P=0.006). At 1.5 year after infection patients had no clinically meaningful decline in severity of long COVID, and 57% (245/429) of patients failed to improve 1.5 years after infection, with no differences between variants.

Conclusions
More than half of patients referred to a Post COVID Clinic failed to improve in long COVID severity 1.5 years after infection regardless of variants of SARS-CoV-2.

Article on the matter:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/study-regardless-variant-half-long-covid-patients-fail-improve-after-18-months posted:

"Study: Regardless of variant, half of long-COVID patients fail to improve after 18 months"

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

A @thephysicsgirl update, I know we've discussed her posting and videoing about long covid before so thought I'd share this:
https://twitter.com/thephysicsgirl/status/1719115919551828008

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

tangy yet delightful posted:

A @thephysicsgirl update, I know we've discussed her posting and videoing about long covid before so thought I'd share this:
https://twitter.com/thephysicsgirl/status/1719115919551828008

:unsmith: I hope she recovers real soon.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Strep Vote posted:

:unsmith: I hope she recovers real soon.

Pingui posted:

"Long-term Prognosis at 1.5 years after Infection with Wild-type strain of SARS-CoV-2 and Alpha, Delta, as well as Omicron Variants"

Article on the matter:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sorry for more dumb questions, but I assume it's totally futile to try masking at all at this point, assuming my wife is positive? We've been in the house together all weekend. Masking at home, that is, we obviously mask elsewhere.