Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hoodie Hair builds an above-ground fortress in dwarf fortress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE7H9hSgRQc&hd=1
things were going great until a dragon showed up. then it tried to cross the moat.

B33rChiller posted:

Ha! This is an entertaining listen. I don't play any of those games, or trade steam things, but can I get a donkey balloon for my sig?
Hahaha "donkey balloon"
I am very glad I saved the stock image off of Thinkgeek before they self-destructed. here is the donkey balloon with guy for scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

The Nerd finally does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y7iz7jzmmY&t=64s

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

mike beat it years ago... james stays losing

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Isn't this the third time he's covering this game?

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Yes.

Fake edit: For reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M_4Yqk65f8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjXn5qiM8Zw

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

tinaun posted:

Oh she’s a physicist? That explains everything lol.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This video is a little circuitous but goes into more detail about the birth of a crackpot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY985qzn7oI

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been watching some TF2 videos lately and I just got recommended my own video lol(well, it's of my emails into Idle Thumbs, but collected by someone else into a single video) so I'm gonna post it for anyone who hasn't experienced it yet.

The Steam Hat Economy, with Captain Invictus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF52sL2wi1c&hd=1

it truly was an insane time. it also saved me from losing my home when my mom was in serious medical peril and I was pouring every dollar I made into both paying the mortgage of her house and her medical bills. I have long been out of it but I can only imagine things have calmed down slightly in some aspects, while gone completely off the rails in others since then. I'm guessing they've fixed a lot of loopholes since I don't get nearly as many friend requests from scammers on my steam account these days.

It helped me out a lot, but it also wound up leading to me helping out a ton of goons as well, including one who happened to get one of the Golden Frying Pans and I sold for thousands of dollars for him.

also I just noticed after all this time that they spelled it "ecomony", which, perfect.

I assume that a lot of it is the shift to Roblox scamming, I think it's the "new" version of the hat game. I swear someone other than IGN did a write-up on it, but it sounds like the Steam Hat days except with way more kids in on the action.

https://www.ign.com/articles/inside-robloxs-criminal-underworld-where-kids-are-scamming-kids

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you might be thinking of people make games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gXlauRB1EQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTMF6xEiAaY

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My nephew played Roblox for the first time a week ago and the game he decided to play was the most thinly veiled skinnerbox I've ever seen. He's basically just controlling the speed of a rollercoaster car so it doesn't fly off the rails. There' no time limit or anything like that, you just can't fall off. It looked like mindless busywork, but he got some points or whatever at the end and that's all he did for like a few hours. When it came time to quit he almost had a mental breakdown because he wanted to continue to do his busywork and get points. You really don't think about how these things would really affect someone until they do and we're trying to keep him from playing so he moves on to something else so we can delete the stupid thing without him noticing.

He likes to play Minecraft a lot and early last month he played through all of the first Spiderman game (and Miles Morales) on the PS5 and never had issues stop playing. Nor did he get that completionist mindset us broken brained older people get about open world games. It was just dopamine rush of getting that little reward of doing a menial task. So if you have kids or nephews, just be wary about Roblox and monitor what they play (and make sure it's an actual game) or not let them play it at all.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
My brother used to play roblox and I thought it didn't really look like much. I don't know, I never saw enough of the game to entirely get what it was all about, so I was really shocked when I heard about all the predatory spending poo poo that's in it (among other things)

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 30, 2023

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
It's Gmod with an in-game economy to turn the people playing into unpaid workers for the company. It's astoundingly hosed up and honestly everyone involved should be in jail forever.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

It is pretty depressing knowing that no one will ever be held accountable for this poo poo. I know the EU is trying to curb some of it, but it's not moving fast enough and by the time they catch up there will be new layers of shittiness to wade through

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Happy Landfill posted:

It is pretty depressing knowing that no one will ever be held accountable for this poo poo. I know the EU is trying to curb some of it, but it's not moving fast enough and by the time they catch up there will be new layers of shittiness to wade through

habbo is still around and been doin this for two decades, like this is just more effective deployment of the same

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

habbo is still around and been doin this for two decades, like this is just more effective deployment of the same

Habbo hotel is still around are you kidding me:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

edit: holy poo poo it is

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 30, 2023

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Wait, is that the same game where people did swastikas and won't allow others in the pool

e: i've also recently found out neopets still exist despite the pivot to NFTs during covid and now the moderators are deliberately loving with the userbase hoarding expensive items by doing giveaways of said expensive items on daily games

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

yes that one

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
This is basically people make games Roblox vid again

https://youtu.be/hE6jxjKPNZQ?si=f4Y2k1PxOA00EndM

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Horror-Comedy filmmaker/YouTuber Alex Bale uploaded the finale to his SpongeBob conspiracy theorist series Don’t Feed the Muse

(It starts here if you haven’t seen it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqJDLYSTfe4&t=0s

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There Are Skeletons Within Us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZBn9CxpANA&hd=1

I loving love Rhystic Studies. also it's interesting to see the censorship of the chinese versions of the cards.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

That first line is a direct mention to Freeman Dyson. I'm on a position where I can't criticize Sabine since technically we are on the same field, but I unfollowed her when she rted Singal.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Kunster posted:

That first line is a direct mention to Freeman Dyson. I'm on a position where I can't criticize Sabine since technically we are on the same field, but I unfollowed her when she rted Singal.
You talk out of your anus on youtube too?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Not quite sure we need to know you lack the agency in your career as a Physicist to call out transphobic rhetoric from someone, seems like a weird thing to share unprompted especially with trans folks present.

Like no one has said they can’t criticize JP in here because they are a clinical psychologist

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Wait, is that the same game where people did swastikas and won't allow others in the pool

e: i've also recently found out neopets still exist despite the pivot to NFTs during covid and now the moderators are deliberately loving with the userbase hoarding expensive items by doing giveaways of said expensive items on daily games

There's been some updates since then, like Jump Start (who bought Neopets from Viacom) is dissolving and the NFTs were scrapped. Izzzyzzz had an update video on a lot of that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE0XX3Rg08o

Netdragon, who are taking more direct control of Neopets, were partially behind the NFT push, so I'm not going to rule out that they're not going to pull more poo poo in the future. Still, they're doing some updates to the site, apparently, bringing back a lot of the games killed by Flash being discontinued and such.

The item release thing is funny, because it sounds like it's happening with the annual trick or treat event, and it's impacting completely pointless poo poo for the most part. Like moreso than usual with Neopets. People are upset that retired coins and stamps are being randomly awarded to people. All you can do with those is add them to collection albums, and if you complete an album you get a tiny little animated gif avatar that shows up on your profile and on the Neopet discussion forums. Neopets is entirely a game about flexing aesthetics on an increasingly small collective of people who know how rare something is, and this isn't even a race for cool things on the virtual pets themselves.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Kunster posted:

loser behavior

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Captain Invictus posted:

There Are Skeletons Within Us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZBn9CxpANA&hd=1

I loving love Rhystic Studies. also it's interesting to see the censorship of the chinese versions of the cards.

I like Rhystic Studies generally but I found this video to be pretentious and boring.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I sense bias

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn_UGiEcWIE
Warlockracy covers Fallout: Dayglow, DLC for the Fallout: Sonora mod.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
New Copaganda video by Skip Intro on Veronica Mars, a show I missed and really need to check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZTD23jaeVo&t=26s

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Mother's Basement's latest actually went up last night, but there was some copyright nonsense, back up now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVPPaWQ-l4s

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Mother's Basement's latest actually went up last night, but there was some copyright nonsense, back up now:

never heard of this show, but that's a.. helluva premise. and the voice acting/dialogue is like the Scary Stories dub, but done unironically

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Sabine's work in physics is notable and at least the german scene in Physics sees her as an admirable equal and not just someone who goes on youtube to say nonsense. Her ORCHID listing is chunky for a very good reason.

fun hater posted:

loser behavior

Heeeh I already had people try to call my job when I criticized John Cheese's views on ""free speech"" in Portugal once. Professonially facing she doesn't have much going on in terms of negative impressions. That being said, the only video I saw of hers about transpeople was over the "should transgender people be in sports" debacle. I wasn't aware that otherwise she did other videos where she was worse about transgender people issues and I apologize for coming across as if I was being dismissive of them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kunster posted:

Sabine's work in physics is notable and at least the german scene in Physics sees her as an admirable equal and not just someone who goes on youtube to say nonsense. Her ORCHID listing is chunky for a very good reason.

Heeeh I already had people try to call my job when I criticized John Cheese's views on ""free speech"" in Portugal once. Professonially facing she doesn't have much going on in terms of negative impressions. That being said, the only video I saw of hers about transpeople was over the "should transgender people be in sports" debacle. I wasn't aware that otherwise she did other videos where she was worse about transgender people issues and I apologize for coming across as if I was being dismissive of them.

I can't really remember her making any other video on the subject matter, and I remember it being fairly positive on transgender people. Goons just like making accusations without proof, or worse, taking random twitter people as their gospel. At least that's my guess at what's going on here.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Libluini posted:

I can't really remember her making any other video on the subject matter, and I remember it being fairly positive on transgender people. Goons just like making accusations without proof, or worse, taking random twitter people as their gospel. At least that's my guess at what's going on here.

Physicists who aren’t trans lack any form of expertise on the matter and we don’t have to accept a ‘fairly positive’ take from those folks on our existence in the public sphere, thanks for assuming I don’t know what I’m talking about in terms of my identity while talking out your rear end yourself about my motivations.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

fun hater posted:

loser behavior

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
And I’m sure that like Neil Degrasse Tyson and Michiu Kaku that Sabine Hassenfelder is a great physicist and knows a lot of deep physics knowledge.

But her videos give off a bad vibe. (Similar to but distinct from the questionable bad vibes given off by the aforementioned other physicists.)

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've got two questions:

1. Why was "A large cast of (Usually high school aged) characters are forced to participate in a death game" such a popular plot set up in the early 2010s?
2. Why do so many pieces of Japanese horror media end up falling back on nonsense technobabble about viruses and genetics? I don't know how widespread this is, but I know Ringu and the original Parasite Eve both pulled the same stunt.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

KingKalamari posted:

I've got two questions:

1. Why was "A large cast of (Usually high school aged) characters are forced to participate in a death game" such a popular plot set up in the early 2010s?

Because Battle Royale is very influential and everyone wants to do their own spin on it.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Arc Hammer posted:

Because Battle Royale is very influential and everyone wants to do their own spin on it.

See, Battle Royale is what I thought would have been the patient 0 for all these, but the original movie and subsequent sequels and spin-offs were all coming out between 1999-2003, a decade before the big glut of death game media I'm talking about.
From 2008-2011, just in Japanese media we got the cell phone novel version of King's Game, Sword Art Online and Daganronpa, among a bunch of others. And this seemed to happen concurrently with the same genre becoming popular in the west around the same time with the release of The Hunger Games and subsequent works that tried to piggy-back off its success. So while Battle Royale was definitely an inspiration for all of these I'm just curious why this existing type of plot seemed to suddenly gain a massive surge in popularity around 2008-2010?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

KingKalamari posted:

I've got two questions:

2. Why do so many pieces of Japanese horror media end up falling back on nonsense technobabble about viruses and genetics? I don't know how widespread this is, but I know Ringu and the original Parasite Eve both pulled the same stunt.

1) Because it sold very well thanks to Battle Royale.

2) This is actually not the case at all. As a matter of fact Japanese horror is perfectly happy with supernatural stuff or just not explaining anything (to the utter confusion of western audiences, who tend to expect *something*). Ancient deities (in the shinto sense) are a very popular explanation for all sorts of BS

And come on, the mitochondrial BS was the core of PE.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 31, 2023