Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

CS2 got weird when they released the Vore DLC.

I was going to go with dentists but hey you do you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I think Simcopter stuff will come, as well as cop car and fire truck driving etc.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Gadzuko posted:

Turning off ads also disables news reports.

Not for me. I’ve heard that terrible fake Freud guy dozens of times with ads off. Also everytime unload my game I have to click ads off again.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Not for me. I’ve heard that terrible fake Freud guy dozens of times with ads off. Also everytime unload my game I have to click ads off again.

If you switch to the other 2 radio stations, the news ads go away once you toggle the switch. Seems like... and you aren't gonna believe this... a bug.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

If they were commissioning those models with the idea that they might one day want to do more street level stuff, well they got ripped off 'cause they look like rear end and are not suitable for that purpose either.

I appreciate the largely realistic style of the buildings, but they should definitely have gone for simple and stylized for the individual people.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

piratepilates posted:

They don't, they used some third party tool to generate them, which created them with teeth.

i'm aware of this; what i'm getting at is why even have that poo poo in the model post-generation? like the geometry should not even be there, or at max should be low-detail suggestions of teeth.

and using this external AI tool to procgen the models was just dumb. there's probably a fuckton of basic-rear end models you could use.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My favorite current bug is that you almost always have to place farms twice because the first time you place it and draw out the field, when you complete the field the farm building vanishes and you have to bulldoze and redo it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Grand Fromage posted:

My favorite current bug is that you almost always have to place farms twice because the first time you place it and draw out the field, when you complete the field the farm building vanishes and you have to bulldoze and redo it.

I plop it down, right-click so that it defaults to the smallest lot size, and right-click again to get out of build mode. Then click on the farm and adjust the borders.

edit: BTW, I don't think your 50 dollar parking fee thing does anything right now in the sim. Looking at personal results and reading some paradox posters with experiments they have done, it doesn't influence behavior at all. It may be actively hurting your cims financially though meaning they can't level up their buildings......assuming that part is working.

Cygni posted:

If you switch to the other 2 radio stations, the news ads go away once you toggle the switch. Seems like... and you aren't gonna believe this... a bug.

Wait. So you switch the one of the other 2 stations, then click off ads, then click back to the classical station?

MikeC fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 30, 2023

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MikeC posted:

Wait. So you switch the one of the other 2 stations, then click off ads, then click back to the classical station?

The two other stations dont have news breaks once you hit the button. The default station still did, from my experience. Dunno if switching back and forth does anything.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Vahakyla posted:

I think Simcopter stuff will come, as well as cop car and fire truck driving etc.

Carmageddon 4: Streets of CimCity

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeC posted:

edit: BTW, I don't think your 50 dollar parking fee thing does anything right now in the sim. Looking at personal results and reading some paradox posters with experiments they have done, it doesn't influence behavior at all. It may be actively hurting your cims financially though meaning they can't level up their buildings......assuming that part is working.

Depressingly you look to be right, I just turned off parking fees in my main district and ran it for a month, no change in transit usage.

Still going to keep some parking fees for ideological reasons. :colbert:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I have been trying to fine-tune my traffic in my city and some rear end in a top hat cims frequently ignore no left/right turn signage. I can tell it is having some effect since a fuckton more people turn right when I remove the sign again in testing but a significant minority just seem to shrug their shoulders and say gently caress it. Right now, I don't know whether it is WAD or just another bug.

edit to avoid double post: FYI if you want the best bang for your buck in terms of build space for "entertainment", outdoor gyms under Sports Parks is a 2x2 footprint that offers +5 Outdoor recreation. There seems to be an undocumented "reach" attribute as well which makes it radiate recreation across a larger area than say a Large Playground that also offers +5 recreation but doesn't reach as far on the road network.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 31, 2023

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

dragonshardz posted:

and using this external AI tool to procgen the models was just dumb. there's probably a fuckton of basic-rear end models you could use.

it probably made the ceo very happy to be using "generative AI" - that's my working theory

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MikeC posted:

I have been trying to fine-tune my traffic in my city and some rear end in a top hat cims frequently ignore no left/right turn signage. I can tell it is having some effect since a fuckton more people turn right when I remove the sign again in testing but a significant minority just seem to shrug their shoulders and say gently caress it. Right now, I don't know whether it is WAD or just another bug.

If you've left it long enough this probably isn't it, but maybe cars are pathfinding from a distant destination and still have that turn in their route from before you added the sign?

Mad Wack posted:

it probably made the ceo very happy to be using "generative AI" - that's my working theory

Really thinking this too, it stinks of executive buzzword junk, but at the same time it could just end up being another one of those weird pet things where they really think the average player is very intrigued and interested in that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anime Store Adventure posted:

If you've left it long enough this probably isn't it, but maybe cars are pathfinding from a distant destination and still have that turn in their route from before you added the sign?

That would be the case in 1 but the pathfinding is a lot more dynamic in 2. The turn arrows were added in beta from feedback so I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't working properly. That or it's possible drivers can sometimes ignore traffic laws, that was a realism option in the Traffic Manager mod in 1.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I assume like every other major system that mail/mail sorting is fubar right now? I've got mail trucks sitting in the depot and tons of mail boxes not getting emptied!

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

explosivo posted:

I assume like every other major system that mail/mail sorting is fubar right now? I've got mail trucks sitting in the depot and tons of mail boxes not getting emptied!

Confirmed by developers

almost certainly tied in to the same bug effecting the cargo/goods trading situation that also afflicts cargo ports and docks

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MikeC posted:

Confirmed by developers

almost certainly tied in to the same bug effecting the cargo/goods trading situation that also afflicts cargo ports and docks

Bleh. We don't even have the first update on gamepass yet :smith:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Grand Fromage posted:

Known bug. Just ignore it for now.

thread title :P

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I put down a high density commercial zone in a far-off suburb awhile ago and only now saw what it became.

It's an 18 storey building in a 6x6 lot, level 3 out of 5. On one side is an empty field, on another other side is an overground parking lot and then empty fields, another side is a few more commercial buildings, an empty field, then the highway, and on the final side there is a quaint amount of single family low density housing.

What is occupying this commercial building? A car dealership :confused:. Someone built an 18 storey building in this far off suburb filled with empty space to sell cars on 18 floors.

edit: I checked the other high density commercial buildings around it and it's all car dealerships. For some reason this became the high density 18 storey car dealership part of town.

No wait sorry, there's one convenience store in there too, a 15 storey tall "Fatty Bite" location with 109 employees. It's logo is a hamburger, so I assume they sell mostly hamburgers in this 15 storeys of American opulence, to the crowd of maybe 500 people in this suburb, in my city of 54k people.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

MikeC posted:

edit to avoid double post: FYI if you want the best bang for your buck in terms of build space for "entertainment", outdoor gyms under Sports Parks is a 2x2 footprint that offers +5 Outdoor recreation. There seems to be an undocumented "reach" attribute as well which makes it radiate recreation across a larger area than say a Large Playground that also offers +5 recreation but doesn't reach as far on the road network.

Maybe they've added some human factor to whether the drivers obey traffic rules/signage?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Giant vertical car dealerships are a thing :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm imagining you put coins in and one of them clatters down the middle and comes out a tray at the bottom.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I'm imagining you put coins in and one of them clatters down the middle and comes out a tray at the bottom.

That's not far off.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Giant vertical car dealerships are a thing :colbert:

Ok now post the rest of the neighbourhood? Is it surrounded by an empty field? Vertical car parking is also a thing, it's a thing in Manhattan, it's less of a thing in Topeka (please don't find a vertical parking lot in Topeka I beg of you).

The description of the High Density Business zone says "North American style supermarkets, malls, hotels, big movie theaters, concert halls, theaters, fitness centers, department stores.", but I only see these weird super tall Tokyo-style stores from them.

There's another spot in my city, also close to fields, where I put down low density offices next to high density offices. On the high density side there's 50+ storey tall skyscrapers. Across the road on the low density side its 1-storey small office buildings. It's a really weird mix, they're the same levels too.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

piratepilates posted:

Ok now post the rest of the neighbourhood? Is it surrounded by an empty field? Vertical car parking is also a thing, it's a thing in Manhattan, it's less of a thing in Topeka (please don't find a vertical parking lot in Topeka I beg of you).

Carvana built these things all over the US. Not saying the commercial density makes sense in the game though, cause it doesn’t.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Cygni posted:

Carvana built these things all over the US. Not saying the commercial density makes sense in the game though, cause it doesn’t.

Was literally about to post one of those. They just built one in Alliance Texas, where there is absurdly plentiful open land. I was absolutely baffled by it when I first saw it a couple of weeks ago, but I suppose that's the point.

just why?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

High density towers next to fields is a pretty common development pattern in parts of Asia. I think the problem is that a 14 story high density mall tower is odd in the themes in the game right now but in the China or Japan themes it won't be remarkable.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

High density towers next to fields is a pretty common development pattern in parts of Asia. I think the problem is that a 14 story high density mall tower is odd in the themes in the game right now but in the China or Japan themes it won't be remarkable.

:psydwarf: I'll have to take your word on that one, is it just a city being rapidly developed like in China?

I am missing mods and assets more than I thought I would. Having a District Styles thing built in would be nice, and being able to assign only beach houses to beach-facing property, or make a shopping district with a bigass Costco, a supermarket with a similarly sized parking lot, and some boring government buildings.

They really need to get that mod workshop up soon, along with those content creator assets.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

piratepilates posted:

:psydwarf: I'll have to take your word on that one, is it just a city being rapidly developed like in China?

Sometimes it's that, sometimes it's corruption (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Tower_41, which is an egregious but fun example rather than typical), sometimes terrain.

Fairly standard apartment towers next to fields situation in the outskirts of a Korean city.

I can't think of a mall I ever saw in China that was shorter than eight stories.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Sometimes it's that, sometimes it's corruption (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Tower_41, which is an egregious but fun example rather than typical), sometimes terrain.

Fairly standard apartment towers next to fields situation in the outskirts of a Korean city.

I can't think of a mall I ever saw in China that was shorter than eight stories.
Huh, I am curious if there are economics at play that make them relatively cheaper compared to smaller buildings compared to US... I think Soviet 9-floor apartment blocks used pre-manufactured concrete panels to lower cost, so if China is using something like that and has some factories really pomping them out building real tall may be cheap, while US has a lot supporting smaller wood construction?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Buildings in Korea and especially China are very cheaply made. My apartment building was like five years old and already falling apart.

There's also pressure from just the lack of flat land.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 31, 2023

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I'm looking at airports on google maps, a little research for how to zone around an airport I placed in-game.

First thing I looked at, Pearson Airport in Toronto: https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...q1sv5?entry=ttu

All low density commercial and office and the like, going out to the highways bounding it in. There's a little SFH residential in Malton (the site of a major airplane crash!), but still removed from the airport's sphere a little.

Maybe too recent, too big, so I looked at something else off the top of my head.

Midway Airport in Chicago:https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...sMWp4?entry=ttu

:dogstare: all just SFH in a neat tight grid, on all sides, right next to the airport fence. Planes taking off and landing right next to people's houses. Must be a real odd experience living in those neighbourhoods.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Yeah... taking off and landing at midway always feels a little sketchy. I feel bad for the people who live immediately across the street, that has to be insanely loud.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Check some pictures of Kai Tak airport. :v:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Lots of European towns also have high rise apartments next to empty land.

Like this poo poo:
https://www.google.com/maps/@60.138...i6656?entry=ttu

Just apartments that are tall, then nothing.
It can get much taller, too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

London city airport is also fun, the planes have to bank around the big towers at canary wharf.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

piratepilates posted:

I'm looking at airports on google maps, a little research for how to zone around an airport I placed in-game.

First thing I looked at, Pearson Airport in Toronto: https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...q1sv5?entry=ttu

All low density commercial and office and the like, going out to the highways bounding it in. There's a little SFH residential in Malton (the site of a major airplane crash!), but still removed from the airport's sphere a little.

Maybe too recent, too big, so I looked at something else off the top of my head.

:dogstare: all just SFH in a neat tight grid, on all sides, right next to the airport fence. Planes taking off and landing right next to people's houses. Must be a real odd experience living in those neighbourhoods.

Semi-relatedly I found this guide for O'Hare today but wowza is midway really just plopped down there, huh.
https://www.oharenoise.org/sitemedia/documents/noise_mitigation/RSIP/ORD%20SIYH%20booklet%202021.01.pdf

Yup just spend a bunch of time/money on upgrading your house while living so close to an airport feeling so tiny.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

piratepilates posted:

Boston-Logan is kinda a fun one, though it doesn't entirely answer your question, though it may suggest that there not being enough land isn't an unsurmountable obstacle...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Am I missing something? if I edit a road with a tram spot, it becomes a phantom stop I can never add to or edit, I gotta delete the whole line and do it again.