Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Dr Malcolmishly, well there it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Blarghalt posted:

That's more of a incrimination on Egypt than anything else, especially when the entire thing started falling apart when the Egyptian military had to deviate even a little from The Plan. The more you look as Israel's successes, the more you realize the wars they won weren't usually about them even being very good, but the surrounding Arab militaries really were that laughably dogshit.

All shitposting aside, Israel's military is roughly comparable to the military of any random european country that isn't Ukraine, and this isn't a compliment. Sweden or something, if Sweden had spent the last 50 years huffing its own farts about how great it was and trained its military primarily to babysit psychopathic settlers and shoot protestors instead of actually preparing for the eventuality of actual war.

When I said that it took Egypt years to plan and execute their offensive, I meant that as a compliment; as in - "the payoff for all of their preparations was being able to achieve these goals". They may have been modest goals, but they were achieved nonetheless.

The comparison I am trying to draw is that Israel is going to be trying something significantly more ambitious, with a lot less time to do it, and with far more political pressure to get results.

And sure, they have tanks and an air force and all that, and Hamas's capabilities are what they are, but the defender's job was always much easier anyway, and I don't think their advantages are going to make up for all the disadvantages they've put on themselves by rushing into this.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Al-Saqr posted:

https://x.com/missfalasteenia/status/1718978040422707692?s=20

America sent two carrier groups to help kill people like him. This man frightens the mightiest western armies.

All reactionaries are paper tigers. In appearance, the reactionaries are terrifying, but in reality, they are not so powerful. From a long-term point of view, it is not the reactionaries but the people who are powerful.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

that's ok, English sucks. dte(nglish). dti

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They won't get past this guy and a million others like him.

e: Also like, remember after the gruelling urban combat against extremely determined fighters with their backs against the wall, they have to try and assault one of, if not the most, complex tunnel networks on the planet. lol. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjwSkqk6M6w

inshallah

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Aljazeera is guesstimating that the israelis are gonna try to cut gaza in half and try to advance down from the ocean, so far they've been sticking to the emptiest parts they can.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They won't get past this guy and a million others like him.

e: Also like, remember after the gruelling urban combat against extremely determined fighters with their backs against the wall, they have to try and assault one of, if not the most, complex tunnel networks on the planet. lol. Good luck.

Lets not fall into triumphalism, this is the key moment. all we can do is see what life decides. keep an open and academic mind on the situation and not let yourself build false hope until there's concrete reason for it.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

now thats not true at all lol but I get the sentiment

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 15 days!)

I am but one french fry, but I’d like to thank this thread for providing one of the vanishingly few pro-Palestinian English language voices I have seen. Especially the morale value of seemingly powerless US protests. I really mean it, it’s inspiring.

I’m sorry I ever thought C-SPAM was just a passel of Putin ballwashers.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Last night on Al Jazeera they showed a map of Gaza and said the Israeli military plan was to just drive down the main highway in the middle and "bisect" the city. I'm not a military strategist but that seems like a great way to get completely surrounded and ambushed so I hope they do it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Jai Guru Dave posted:

I dont see the problem with this. lol.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Aljazeera Reporting large explosions in eastern Tel Aviv from rocket attacks.

fizzier
Oct 29, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al-Saqr posted:

I dont see the problem with this. lol.

问题在于,C-SPAM 不仅是普京的一批洗球者,也是普京的一批亲嘴者。

a racist pole
May 16, 2015

Al-Saqr posted:

I am 1000% certain this loving criminal satan is out and about free in some shithole in alabama.

she’s probably a Human Resources coordinator in West Virginia if Linkedin is correct

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

When I said that it took Egypt years to plan and execute their offensive, I meant that as a compliment; as in - "the payoff for all of their preparations was being able to achieve these goals". They may have been modest goals, but they were achieved nonetheless.

The comparison I am trying to draw is that Israel is going to be trying something significantly more ambitious, with a lot less time to do it, and with far more political pressure to get results.

And sure, they have tanks and an air force and all that, and Hamas's capabilities are what they are, but the defender's job was always much easier anyway, and I don't think their advantages are going to make up for all the disadvantages they've put on themselves by rushing into this.

Without throwing a wall of books up, the IDF has never been known for having particularly talented staff officers, nor detailed planning.

Some of those military culture books attribute this to Israeli machismo or whatever. Who knew a country of pushy, rude, people couldn't collaboratively make detailed plans, and see that pursuit as equally praiseworthy in a military career?

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Last night on Al Jazeera they showed a map of Gaza and said the Israeli military plan was to just drive down the main highway in the middle and "bisect" the city. I'm not a military strategist but that seems like a great way to get completely surrounded and ambushed so I hope they do it.

See above.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Jai Guru Dave posted:

I am but one french fry, but I’d like to thank this thread for providing one of the vanishingly few pro-Palestinian English language voices I have seen. Especially the morale value of seemingly powerless US protests. I really mean it, it’s inspiring.

Putin and Palestine want to hug and kiss each other, cspam just watches enviously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU0PYt7S6yI

Cookie Cutter has issued a correction as of 13:55 on Oct 31, 2023

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

i gently and lovingly tongue putin’s entire body clean

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Al-Saqr posted:

Aljazeera is guesstimating that the israelis are gonna try to cut gaza in half and try to advance down from the ocean, so far they've been sticking to the emptiest parts they can.

Lets not fall into triumphalism, this is the key moment. all we can do is see what life decides. keep an open and academic mind on the situation and not let yourself build false hope until there's concrete reason for it.

I'd argue it's a level-headed analysis. Israel might do a lot better than we're predicting, but I can't see any way for them to actually win this militarily.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

If there's one thing we've seen definitely works every time over the past few years, it's making one single thrust into a deeply layered defence who knows you're coming

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Honky Mao posted:

Look the Hamas evil lair wasn't under the other two hospitals but they gotta be under this one

THANK YOU, BENJAMIN!

BUT THE HAMAS BASE IS UNDER
ANOTHER HOSPITAL!

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
Still can't get over the "we didn't bomb that hospital but here's some CGI showing why it wouldn't be bad if we did" angle they shot for

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'd argue it's a level-headed analysis. Israel might do a lot better than we're predicting, but I can't see any way for them to actually win this militarily.

yeah lets not fool ourselves, the israelis have always been able to quickly thrust into Gaza, the question is what will happen to them once they're in.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
:smug:

https://twitter.com/blahberi/status/1719208732536561799?t=_79IWZSAsljVG5UUjjsmbQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/blahberi/status/1719210232545787923?t=nKvVDwzMxCKIeNRelVXI_w&s=19

https://twitter.com/Lindameliax3/status/1719332396934271033?t=ZkfAgLEPoXLNXnfxTYreSQ&s=19

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

quickly moving into empty land is one thing fighting within a ruined city is another

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"there are literally pictures, also i wouldn't be surprised if pictures turned up!"

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"there are literally pictures, also i wouldn't be surprised if pictures turned up!"

The obvious thing to do is just respond to anyone talking about dead babies with Israel's official casualty count, which lists 0 babies.

Which means any beheaded babies had to have been Palestinian.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Offkorn posted:

The obvious thing to do is just respond to anyone talking about dead babies with Israel's official casualty count, which lists 0 babies.

Which means any beheaded babies had to have been Palestinian.

or they got better

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The Yemeni Houthis armed forces are now conference live, they are now officially declaring war on Israel and they will be launching all the missiles and drones at every Israeli target they can reach, wether it's israel proper or navy or airspace or any secret bases.

The houthis are more manly than Hezbollah.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

good

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Ohtori Akio posted:

imo the time to retire the grand tradition of naming armored vehicles of war after big cats was 1945

Russia needs to start calling tanks Iosif Stalin and Kliment Voroshilov again

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Rather than just turn off weapons to Israel, Biden hoped to stall the invasion of Gaza by filling up netanyahus calendar with meeting invites

quote:

Mr. Blinken has visited Israel three times. Defense Secretary Lloyd J. Austin III met with his counterparts there, along with Gen. Michael E. Kurilla, the commander of Central Command, and then Rishi Sunak, the British prime minister. A European official said their visits were not coordinated with the United States but that everyone had the same idea that it would be hard to start a ground invasion while senior officials were in the waiting room.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan
Israel’s new plan is to lose so badly that the world begins to feel bad for them

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

The Yemeni Houthis armed forces are now conference live, they are now officially declaring war on Israel and they will be launching all the missiles and drones at every Israeli target they can reach, wether it's israel proper or navy or airspace or any secret bases.

houthis ftw

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

if Hezbollah had any real intentions rather than finger waving they might want to move the release date of their marvel movie to right now. its really embarrasing that theyve been beaten to the punch by the yemenis of all people.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Al-Saqr posted:

Lugging those massive balls is going to slow things down a bit

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

hezbollah made all those teasers and an ARG and by god they are going to get their money's worth

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Red Baron posted:

Israel’s new plan is to lose so badly that the world begins to feel bad for them

Worked for France

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

yeah we're seeing this narrative pop off in multiple western countries at the same time so this is from the top

i mean, fine, ok, we're all terrorists now i guess? Not sure what they're going to do next.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

houthis ftw

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Don't worry Hezbollah is filming a cool trailer as we speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle