Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

FUUUCK! Hell House LLC Origins (the new one that came out today) is loving fantastic! Goddamn was that good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Yeah, new Hell House was honestly on its own level. I like the series but Carmichael House was just incredibly tense and well shot. I'm not entirely sure why the big open mansion setting made me more anxious than the hotel, but it did. That early scene where Chase is alone in the house and he sees the hand around the pillar just creeped me tf out. It was like the best of all those "Top 5 Scary poo poo" videos on Youtube. The Unsolved Mysteries style narration segments felt really genuine and plausible too. For a mostly bloodless movie, the scares were incredibly effective. I turned to my girlfriend about halfway through and asked her if she thought it was weird that it was my favorite of the four and she agreed.

I read an interview with Cognetti where he talks about how he wants to explore the Rockland County Fair stuff, but not in found footage. He wants to do a traditional narrative story but it's all budgetary. As much as I love found footage, I'd love to see what he could do with that kind of shift tbh.

e: here is the interview: https://bloody-disgusting.com/interviews/3786300/stephen-cognetti-hell-house-llc-origins/

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
If I'm reading the room correctly it sounds like it might be entirely reasonable to watch the first and last Hell House movies and skip the middle two. Is that true? Nobody is saying anything very glowing about those two and it sounds like the fourth just starts its own thing in an entirely new location.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Crumps Brother posted:

If I'm reading the room correctly it sounds like it might be entirely reasonable to watch the first and last Hell House movies and skip the middle two. Is that true? Nobody is saying anything very glowing about those two and it sounds like the fourth just starts its own thing in an entirely new location.

You would not miss anything of value skipping 2 and 3.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Happy Halloween, you goop loving deviants.

<3

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Crumps Brother posted:

The fourth one only kinda starts it’s own thing but it flashes back to anything from the older movies you need to know

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Happy Halloween, goop pals! You're all excellent and I hope you eat far too much candy and watch some great spooky movies today. :spooky:

I've already watched Return of the Living Dead today, I'm gonna watch Halloween 3, then if I can fit it in, the new Hell House LLC.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Crumps Brother posted:

It's not wasted time or anything, and they're fine. Its just they're least good of the movies.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 31, 2023

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Local theater did a showing of Trick r Treat the other day so my wife and I got to see that in theaters for the first time! We've both seen it a ton of times but watching it on a big screen without anything to distract had us noticing things we hadn't seen before. Big recommend if its in your area obvs.

There'll be halloween movies on all day, and then we always close the night out with Ghostwatch. I got the blu-ray version of it earlier this year and have been waiting for tonight to watch it so I'm pretty stoked to see HD Pipes.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Happy Halloween, thread! It's always a pleasure. :spooky:

Suicide Club may be my last watch of the month depending on how the evening shakes out but I'm glad I finally watched a movie I've known about since high school from a director who has made one of my favorite movies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Enjoy the day of spookies y'all

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Putting on hell house. Already, this what the series should have been, different spooky places each installment

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
:spooky:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Whatever happened to the WNUF Halloween Special? I can't find it on streaming anywhere. My girlfriend has never seen it or Ghostwatch and I'd like to do a double feature but that's not looking like a thing this year.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Cautiously optimistic for they follow, as since they’re both coming back so long after the fact, I hope it’s because there’s a helluva idea for a follow up.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Levantine posted:

Whatever happened to the WNUF Halloween Special? I can't find it on streaming anywhere. My girlfriend has never seen it or Ghostwatch and I'd like to do a double feature but that's not looking like a thing this year.

Looks like someone was kind enough to post it to the internet archive
https://archive.org/details/wnuf-halloween-special-dvdrip-anti-shi-t

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MacheteZombie posted:

Looks like someone was kind enough to post it to the internet archive
https://archive.org/details/wnuf-halloween-special-dvdrip-anti-shi-t

Oh, awesome, thank you for sharing!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Happy to help!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

May the Great Pumpkin bless us, every one!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You've been to my aunt's house?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wish I liked HellHouse 4 as much as some of you guys did, I thought it was very middle of the road and about on par with 2 and 3. Still enjoyed it enough, but it didn’t have that magic the first one had.

When Evil Lurks was a blast though. I knew I was watching something special when they showed the mom eating out of that kids head while walking down the road.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
i am an absolute sucker for found footage horror, but Hellhouse 4 did not do it for me.

i thought there was 1 interesting scene-- Rebecca's screenshare with her boss. everything else was a rehash of scenes or scares from the previous movies. are we really still doing 'the clowns move when you aren't watching, oh poo poo now they move when you are watching'? 4 movies in and that's still the main scare?

i did like the two main actors, and i appreciated getting some queer rep, but boy i felt bad for them. several lines of dialogue had me saying 'wait, what?' out loud to my partner. Cognetti wants lore but doesn't know how to make it compelling or interesting.

plus, and this is just a pet peeve of mine re: found footage, they added nondiegetic sounds & music to pretty much all of the scenes meant to be scary. rip.

for anyone who does watch or didn't catch it the first time: there's a very very short post-credits scene. doesn't add much.

When Evil Lurks was excellent though-- now THAT felt like good world building. the scene with the ex-Cleaner, Mirta, elaborating on her past + her fear the Rotten targeted this village to get to her felt like the exact amount of information i needed to fill in some gaps. where HH4 lore felt hamfisted, When Evil Lurks felt natural.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 31, 2023

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've been watching lots of horror movies in October. Today I'm gonna watch Halloween '78, Halloween III and The Witch. Maybe The Thing, too. Happy Halloween, y'all :spooky:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

ruddiger posted:

I wish I liked HellHouse 4 as much as some of you guys did, I thought it was very middle of the road and about on par with 2 and 3. Still enjoyed it enough, but it didn’t have that magic the first one had.

When Evil Lurks was a blast though. I knew I was watching something special when they showed the mom eating out of that kids head while walking down the road.

I still haven't watched any of the sequels because I love the first one so much and I've only heard that the sequels are mid at best.
I used to not care so much when sequels were bad because it wouldn't affect my opinion of the original, but ever since The Boy II I have the fear in me.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I don’t like any of the LLC movies but I cant deny the third one goes places I never saw coming

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Grendels Dad posted:

The Stalker It from the first movie is a known weirdo among its kind and the other its follow Monroe to apologize.

She actually dropped her wallet and they're chasing after her to try and return it but she keeps running

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

This movie was so loving good.

edit: Also, talk about bleak horror. A four-year-old gets tortured by a demon for eternity? Goddamn.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 31, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Halloween has been cursed for me most of the past few years. This is the second time my car has broken down. At least this time it's just a $1000+ bill and not an accident that totaled the car. Anyway, I saw Men and liked it, didn't love it. Looking forward to Dragula.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Jealous of anyone watching spooky movies all day, I will live vicariously through your posts

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Jealous of anyone watching spooky movies all day, I will live vicariously through your posts

I have to work but my office has a tv and I'm the only one here so it's playing TCM all day. So far it's been Taste the Blood of Dracula, The Mummy(1959), and Creature From the Black Lagoon.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I probably should’a taken the day off today so I could marathon spooky movies all day, instead I’ll have to settle for watching Halloween (1978) in 4K after work today.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol Damien Leone on the hype tour saying Terrifier 3's first five minutes will be very controversial

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Art carves the n word

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol Damien Leone on the hype tour saying Terrifier 3's first five minutes will be very controversial

'Damien Leone posted:

Hi I'm Damien Leone and I'm excited to announce that within seconds of your first bite of POPCORN something HORRIBLE will happen to the VAGINA of a WOMAN and just maybe the PENIS of MAN!! Isn't that scaaaaary. I'm so extreme? Don't worry it's all ironic, we're just fun loving boys enjoying the ART of filmmaking. See you next time for my 6 hour magnum opus!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
First five minutes of Terrifier 3 will be Art getting the COVID vaccine while a woman is assaulted in the background

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
First five minutes of Terrifier 3 will be Art storming the US capital on Jan 6 while a woman is assaulted in the background.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
First five minutes of Terrifier 3 will be Art at Charlottesville with a sign that says "Jews will not replace us" while a woman is assaulted in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Art the Clown drops white phosphorous on a Palestinian daycare and then pulls his co-pilot’s spine out through her nipples (somehow).