Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

tangy yet delightful posted:

A @thephysicsgirl update, I know we've discussed her posting and videoing about long covid before so thought I'd share this:
https://twitter.com/thephysicsgirl/status/1719115919551828008

looks like a massive improvement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pingui posted:

"Long-term Prognosis at 1.5 years after Infection with Wild-type strain of SARS-CoV-2 and Alpha, Delta, as well as Omicron Variants"

Article on the matter:

Wow this is fuckin bleak

I wonder if screeners or study designs can control for or frankly explore deliberately, the sociological factors of persistence. Like if someone is otherwise wealthy, fulfilled or actualized, and otherwise not stressed does this help

Like so many suggestions are just resting, Ala physicsgirl, and you have to just be financially able to straight up check the gently caress out to achieve this

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 01:06 on Oct 31, 2023

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Taffer posted:

Sorry for more dumb questions, but I assume it's totally futile to try masking at all at this point, assuming my wife is positive? We've been in the house together all weekend. Masking at home, that is, we obviously mask elsewhere.

It's not futile until you start showing symptoms. When Mrs. Parasite popped positive we slept in separate rooms, masked up, opened all the windows and ran the Corsi cubes. I didn't get got.

e:

Pingui posted:

"Long-term Prognosis at 1.5 years after Infection with Wild-type strain of SARS-CoV-2 and Alpha, Delta, as well as Omicron Variants"

Article on the matter:

Mrs. Parasite falls into this category. She has had to reduce her working hours from full-time to three days/week. Thankfully even if she has to quit working we can survive on my salary, but of course it's essential that I continue to not get got. Retirement is looking less likely every day. Lol it was always a pipe dream.

DickParasite has issued a correction as of 01:00 on Oct 31, 2023

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thanks again for the info ya'll. She just tested again for the third time and it was negative (symptoms started on Friday, so today is day 4), so keeping our fingers crossed. We'll do another round tomorrow, which will make 4 tests in 5 days of symptoms, I really hope that's enough to confidently say it's not the 'vid.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Girl just let me wish her well, drat.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Taffer posted:

Sorry for more dumb questions, but I assume it's totally futile to try masking at all at this point, assuming my wife is positive? We've been in the house together all weekend. Masking at home, that is, we obviously mask elsewhere.

You haven't asked any dumb questions; I keep posting here so there is a place to ask about poo poo like this :)

As DickParasite said, it is not futile. Contingent on the tests you used working, the tests demonstrated this: no upper respiratory antigens detected.

Edit to be clear: This does not mean she isn't contagious, but like the swab, you too can have avoided the limited virions.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 01:23 on Oct 31, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DickParasite posted:

Mrs. Parasite falls into this category. She has had to reduce her working hours from full-time to three days/week. Thankfully even if she has to quit working we can survive on my salary, but of course it's essential that I continue to not get got. Retirement is looking less likely every day. Lol it was always a pipe dream.

I'm not to the point of being disabled in this severe a fashion, but I definitely have long covid, it's fuckin up my QoL.

I have weird joint / connective tissue pains and my fatigue... threshold? is all hosed up. Like, there's small absolutely insignificant postural muscle engagements (E. G., having heavy blankets over my feet sticking up, or leaning on an elbow with my chin cupped) that end up leaving my poo poo cramped and straining if I do it for any length of time. It makes sleeping specifically a fuckin chore, which is infuriating, because that's supposed to be restorative and it never is now.

It's also so hard to pinpoint if it's just deconditioning, aging, working on my feet now after fifteen years of a sedentary job etc because so much has changed in my life. I'm trying to yoga and stretch my way through it. Anyway thanks for reading my post this is a picture of my cats

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Taffer posted:

It's worth a shot, there's a good percent of people who don't spread covid very well. I think one of my relatives is especially bad at it as they've been positive around us twice now.

Pingui posted:

Article on the matter:

Thank you for posting these, gives me the motivation to stay vigilant.

Fansy has issued a correction as of 01:31 on Oct 31, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
The symptoms with no positive seems to indicate the immune system kicking into gear and holding the virus somewhat in check, so thinking about it, I kinda wonder if Paxlovid shouldn't be retested for being used beyond the 5 days of symptoms when the positive happens later?

I can't recall from the original Paxlovid study if the people were vaccinated or not, something to look into I guess...

Fansy posted:

(..)
Thank you for posting these, gives me the motivation to stay vigilant.

:tipshat:

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Strep Vote posted:

Girl just let me wish her well, drat.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Pingui posted:

The symptoms with no positive seems to indicate the immune system kicking into gear and holding the virus somewhat in check, so thinking about it, I kinda wonder if Paxlovid shouldn't be retested for being used beyond the 5 days of symptoms when the positive happens later?

Double sucks that a PCR test is some combination of hard to get, slow, and expensive. After learning that RAT tests were much worse than I thought, I looked into getting a PCR test and there's nowhere in our city where we can schedule it and get results in time to get within the paxlovid 5-day window. And they're all over $150 each, lol

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I'm an idiot and didn't get 10 days of pax and 3 days after finishing I've got rebound. This poo poo sucks rear end, get 10 days of pax if you can.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Taffer posted:

Thanks again for the info ya'll. She just tested again for the third time and it was negative (symptoms started on Friday, so today is day 4), so keeping our fingers crossed. We'll do another round tomorrow, which will make 4 tests in 5 days of symptoms, I really hope that's enough to confidently say it's not the 'vid.

test first thing when you wake up. no brushing teeth drinking water etc. Try to get spit not phlegm or snot when nose swabbing.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lmao

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I'm trying to yoga and stretch my way through it. Anyway thanks for reading my post this is a picture of my cats

good cats

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.
Financial journalists publish a book trashing the covid response, promoted with an excerpt about how lockdowns were a bad idea and didn't even work, actually: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/covid-lockdowns-big-fail-joe-nocera-bethany-mclean-book-excerpt.html

Featuring guest appearances from many thread favourites!

quote:

Michael Osterholm, the prominent epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota, also doesn’t think lockdowns did any good. “There is actually no role for lockdowns,” he says. “Look at what happened in China. They locked down for years, and when they finally relaxed that effort, they had a million deaths in two weeks.” As for flattening the curve, “that’s not a real lockdown,” Osterholm says. “You’re just reducing contact for a few weeks to help the hospitals.”

quote:

The science also weighed heavily in favor of opening schools. By mid-summer 2020, when cities were trying to decide whether to reopen schools in September, 146,000 Americans had died of COVID-19. Fewer than 20 were children between the ages of 5 and 14. More schoolchildren died from mass shootings in a typical year. Emily Oster, a Brown University economist, conducted a survey of about 200,000 children who were back in classrooms. The infection rate, she discovered, was 0.13 percent among students and 0.24 percent among teachers — an astonishing low number. Oster then set up what she called the National COVID-19 School Response Dashboard, which eventually tracked 12 million kids in both public and private schools and continued to collect infection-rate data over the next nine months. Not once did the student rate hit one percent during any two-week span.

“We do not want to be cavalier or put people at risk,” Oster wrote in The Atlantic. “But by not opening, we are putting people at risk, too.”

quote:

The anti-lockdown scientist Jay Bhattacharya of Stanford University recalls a photograph in the San Jose Mercury News during the early months of the pandemic. It showed two children, 7 or 8 years old, sitting with Google Chromebooks outside a Taco Bell. “They were on the sidewalk doing schoolwork because that was the only place they could get free Wi-Fi,” Bhattacharya said. “Their parents weren’t there because they had to go to work. I mean, that should have ended the lockdown right then and there. It should have at least ended school closures.”

Great sources there guys, just top work

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

New Found Power posted:

Financial journalists publish a book trashing the covid response, promoted with an excerpt about how lockdowns were a bad idea and didn't even work, actually: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/covid-lockdowns-big-fail-joe-nocera-bethany-mclean-book-excerpt.html

The vaccination campaign against the virus may be failing, but the inoculation campaign against doing anything beyond that is doing great!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Taffer posted:

Double sucks that a PCR test is some combination of hard to get, slow, and expensive. After learning that RAT tests were much worse than I thought, I looked into getting a PCR test and there's nowhere in our city where we can schedule it and get results in time to get within the paxlovid 5-day window. And they're all over $150 each, lol

lol yeah and this is while Paxlovid is still freely available. Come the full commercialization of Pax on 1 January, I can only imagine getting Paxlovid in time will be entirely hypothetical (unless you pay the $1390 out of pocket).

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
holy poo poo, that test2treat.com site just mailed me Paxlovid, straight to my door, no cost, no pharmacy visit, and no phone call. the entire process was just "fill out the web form" and then three days later it's waiting for me outside my front door.

to access this service I just applied for the free tests from test2treat back when everyone else did, used the backdoor because they had shut down signups at the time, got my 4 rapid tests in the mail from them, and then clicked through on the follow up emails where they were like "get telehealth based on your test result".

this sent me to a site called eMed. the web form asked if I was positive and whether I had a test photo or not (I said no). the form kept going, there was even open-ended part to message them with, where I just wrote "no questions" since I know the drill. finally their partner pharmacy "GoGoMeds" mailed it straight to my house.

so it sounds like everyone can do this right now to get another $1400 pax box, provided that test2treat.com doesn't lock you out of signing up in the first place. are new people still having success with that?

RandomBlue posted:

I'm an idiot and didn't get 10 days of pax and 3 days after finishing I've got rebound. This poo poo sucks rear end, get 10 days of pax if you can.

i took 10 days and am very glad that I did knowing that they're about to recall all the nation's "extra" doses and dump them in the trash

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Indian survey on school age child health (a lot of participants, but I don't know how representative it is):

https://www.localcircles.com/a/press/page/india-children-health-survey posted:

1 in 3 Indian parents surveyed say their children have fallen sick with flu/respiratory symptoms 4 times or more in the last 12 months; Been going to school as well with symptoms
● 86% parents of school going children report they falling sick once or more in the last 12 months
● Feedback from parents indicates that the children repeatedly falling sick phenomenon has started post the 3rd COVID wave i.e. early 2022

(..)
Parents of school going children are increasingly seeing that children are falling sick many more times since early 2022 when compared to the pre-COVID times. With schools fully functional and operating in physical mode, the dilemma parents of such kids are facing is whether they should send a child with cough, cold or even mild fever to school or should they stay skip school till they are completely fit. During the COVID period i.e. mid 2021 onwards the norms for attending in-person schools were stringent with masking and social distancing being observed and children with even mild symptoms staying home. However, since early 2022, that has changed, and masks and social distancing compliance is practically zero now.
(..)
One of the concerns that many parents have reported on LocalCircles is the reduced immunity of their school going children. A common submission that many parents identify with is that many healthy children who would be unwell with seasonal flu once or twice a year pre-COVID are now falling sick between 3-5 times each year. The big question for immunologists is whether COVID has reduced immunity in children leading to them catching any virus much more easily and with no precautions being observed in schools, are they a fertile ground for these infections spreading. If we go by the survey results, 33% parents saying that their children have fallen sick 4 times or more in the last 12 months and 38% saying that they have fallen sick 2-4 times, it clearly indicates that something is off the charts on pediatric health post COVID.
(..)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The generic tested worse than a leaky surgical mask.

A different generic copy of a 6200 I tested today fared better, with a still failing OSHA fit factor of 27, falling short of the needed 100. The 3M was 356x better than that mask.

lol

lmao, even

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
post already deleted

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

tangy yet delightful posted:

A @thephysicsgirl update, I know we've discussed her posting and videoing about long covid before so thought I'd share this:
https://twitter.com/thephysicsgirl/status/1719115919551828008

Some of the responses honestly make me want to just cry because I've been pretty close to bed bound lately, and these loving freaks just harass and abuse. It just makes you feel more disbelieved, more helpless. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

lol

lmao, even

disturbing. don't trust your life to bezos folks

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hellequin posted:

Some of the responses honestly make me want to just cry because I've been pretty close to bed bound lately, and these loving freaks just harass and abuse. It just makes you feel more disbelieved, more helpless. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

nearly everyone left on twitter is a fascist. it was designed to be that way by "free speech" enthusiast jack dorsey and reinforced by elon musk. much better to not even look imo

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

spiritual bypass posted:

nearly everyone left on twitter is a fascist. it was designed to be that way by "free speech" enthusiast jack dorsey and reinforced by elon musk. much better to not even look imo
:yeah:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
The results are interesting, but I am not a big fan of the count starting at day 31, though I can understand why they did it. Mainly because CVD outcomes tend to happen within those first 30 days. It should be noted that these are non-hospitalized at the day or day after of testing. It should also be noted that a lot of the negative results come down to the confidence interval, potentially indicating an underpowering (see graphic).
"Effectiveness of Nirmatrelvir–Ritonavir Against the Development of Post–COVID-19 Conditions Among U.S. Veterans"

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M23-1394 posted:

A Target Trial Emulation

Abstract
Background:
COVID-19 has been linked to the development of many post–COVID-19 conditions (PCCs) after acute infection. Limited information is available on the effectiveness of oral antivirals used to treat acute COVID-19 in preventing the development of PCCs.

Objective:
To measure the effectiveness of outpatient treatment of COVID-19 with nirmatrelvir–ritonavir in preventing PCCs.

Design:
Retrospective target trial emulation study comparing matched cohorts receiving nirmatrelvir–ritonavir versus no treatment.

Setting:
Veterans Health Administration (VHA).

Participants:
Nonhospitalized veterans in VHA care who were at risk for severe COVID-19 and tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 during January through July 2022.

Intervention:
Nirmatrelvir–ritonavir treatment for acute COVID-19.

Measurements:
Cumulative incidence of 31 potential PCCs at 31 to 180 days after treatment or a matched index date, including cardiac, pulmonary, renal, thromboembolic, gastrointestinal, neurologic, mental health, musculoskeletal, endocrine, and general conditions and symptoms.

Results:
Eighty-six percent of the participants were male, with a median age of 66 years, and 17.5% were unvaccinated. Baseline characteristics were well balanced between participants treated with nirmatrelvir–ritonavir and matched untreated comparators. No differences were observed between participants treated with nirmatrelvir–ritonavir (n = 9593) and their matched untreated comparators in the incidence of most PCCs examined individually or grouped by organ system, except for lower combined risk for venous thromboembolism and pulmonary embolism (subhazard ratio, 0.65 [95% CI, 0.44 to 0.97]; cumulative incidence difference, −0.29 percentage points [CI, −0.52 to −0.05 percentage points]).

Limitations:
Ascertainment of PCCs using International Classification of Diseases, 10th Revision codes may be inaccurate. Evaluation of many outcomes could have resulted in spurious associations with combined thromboembolic events by chance.

Conclusion:
Out of 31 potential PCCs, only combined thromboembolic events seemed to be reduced by nirmatrelvir–ritonavir.
(..)

(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I remember when SARS-CoV-2 was said to mutate slowly...

"An atlas of continuous adaptive evolution in endemic human viruses"

https://www.cell.com/cell-host-microbe/fulltext/S1931-3128(23)00380-3 posted:

Highlights
• Ongoing adaptive evolution in human endemic viruses is largely in surface proteins
• Immune evasion drives continuous adaptive evolution in many endemic human viruses
• Antigenic evolution occurs in several viral families
SARS-CoV-2 is accumulating protein-coding changes faster than other endemic viruses

Summary
Through antigenic evolution, viruses such as seasonal influenza evade recognition by neutralizing antibodies. This means that a person with antibodies well tuned to an initial infection will not be protected against the same virus years later and that vaccine-mediated protection will decay. To expand our understanding of which endemic human viruses evolve in this fashion, we assess adaptive evolution across the genome of 28 endemic viruses spanning a wide range of viral families and transmission modes. Surface proteins consistently show the highest rates of adaptation, and ten viruses in this panel are estimated to undergo antigenic evolution to selectively fix mutations that enable the escape of prior immunity. Thus, antibody evasion is not an uncommon evolutionary strategy among human viruses, and monitoring this evolution will inform future vaccine efforts. Additionally, by comparing overall amino acid substitution rates, we show that SARS-CoV-2 is accumulating protein-coding changes at substantially faster rates than endemic viruses.

Graphical abstract

(..)
We find that SARS-CoV-2 accumulates roughly 20×10−3 amino acid substitutions per residue per year in S1. This is 2–2.5× faster than the accumulation of amino acid substitutions in influenza A/H3N2 HA1 and 7–10× faster than in the S1 subunit of seasonal coronaviruses 229E and OC43. :shepface:
(..)

(..)

To give some context, here's Eric Topol:
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1717576172459250085#m

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Cohort hospitalized from (considering the dates) wildtype and Alpha, show MRI evidence of lung, brain and kidney abnormalities, than non-hospitalized non-COVID controls. Results independently associated with COVID-19 status. Also I quite enjoyed the graphics.
"Multiorgan MRI findings after hospitalisation with COVID-19 in the UK (C-MORE): a prospective, multicentre, observational cohort study"

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(23)00262-X/fulltext?rss=yes posted:

Summary
Introduction
The multiorgan impact of moderate to severe coronavirus infections in the post-acute phase is still poorly understood. We aimed to evaluate the excess burden of multiorgan abnormalities after hospitalisation with COVID-19, evaluate their determinants, and explore associations with patient-related outcome measures.

Methods
In a prospective, UK-wide, multicentre MRI follow-up study (C-MORE), adults (aged ≥18 years) discharged from hospital following COVID-19 who were included in Tier 2 of the Post-hospitalisation COVID-19 study (PHOSP-COVID) and contemporary controls with no evidence of previous COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2 nucleocapsid antibody negative) underwent multiorgan MRI (lungs, heart, brain, liver, and kidneys) with quantitative and qualitative assessment of images and clinical adjudication when relevant. Individuals with end-stage renal failure or contraindications to MRI were excluded. Participants also underwent detailed recording of symptoms, and physiological and biochemical tests. The primary outcome was the excess burden of multiorgan abnormalities (two or more organs) relative to controls, with further adjustments for potential confounders. The C-MORE study is ongoing and is registered with ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT04510025.

Findings
Of 2710 participants in Tier 2 of PHOSP-COVID, 531 were recruited across 13 UK-wide C-MORE sites. After exclusions, 259 C-MORE patients (mean age 57 years [SD 12]; 158 [61%] male and 101 [39%] female) who were discharged from hospital with PCR-confirmed or clinically diagnosed COVID-19 between March 1, 2020, and Nov 1, 2021, and 52 non-COVID-19 controls from the community (mean age 49 years [SD 14]; 30 [58%] male and 22 [42%] female) were included in the analysis. Patients were assessed at a median of 5·0 months (IQR 4·2–6·3) after hospital discharge. Compared with non-COVID-19 controls, patients were older, living with more obesity, and had more comorbidities. Multiorgan abnormalities on MRI were more frequent in patients than in controls (157 [61%] of 259 vs 14 [27%] of 52; p<0·0001) and independently associated with COVID-19 status (odds ratio [OR] 2·9 [95% CI 1·5–5·8]; padjusted=0·0023) after adjusting for relevant confounders. Compared with controls, patients were more likely to have MRI evidence of lung abnormalities (p=0·0001; parenchymal abnormalities), brain abnormalities (p<0·0001; more white matter hyperintensities and regional brain volume reduction), and kidney abnormalities (p=0·014; lower medullary T1 and loss of corticomedullary differentiation), whereas cardiac and liver MRI abnormalities were similar between patients and controls. Patients with multiorgan abnormalities were older (difference in mean age 7 years [95% CI 4–10]; mean age of 59·8 years [SD 11·7] with multiorgan abnormalities vs mean age of 52·8 years [11·9] without multiorgan abnormalities; p<0·0001), more likely to have three or more comorbidities (OR 2·47 [1·32–4·82]; padjusted=0·0059), and more likely to have a more severe acute infection (acute CRP >5mg/L, OR 3·55 [1·23–11·88]; padjusted=0·025) than those without multiorgan abnormalities. Presence of lung MRI abnormalities was associated with a two-fold higher risk of chest tightness, and multiorgan MRI abnormalities were associated with severe and very severe persistent physical and mental health impairment (PHOSP-COVID symptom clusters) after hospitalisation.

Interpretation
After hospitalisation for COVID-19, people are at risk of multiorgan abnormalities in the medium term [ed. as they were tested 5 months out; e.g. it is open ended]. Our findings emphasise the need for proactive multidisciplinary care pathways, with the potential for imaging to guide surveillance frequency and therapeutic stratification.
(..)

(..)

(..)
Our controls were not previously hospitalised, but this study aimed to describe the excess burden of abnormalities in patients hospitalised with acute COVID-19 relative to a general non-COVID-19 population. Lung MRI is less precise than CT for the quantification of lung parenchymal abnormalities, and might have underestimated the prevalence of lung abnormalities. Recent work from our consortium also suggests that lung perfusion after COVID-19 improves longitudinally on MRI at 1·5 Tesla, and thus the timing of the scan might be relevant when assessing perfusion measures.37
Our patients were younger, less obese, and less likely to need intensive care or mechanical ventilation than individuals who currently need hospital admission for COVID-19; hence, the burden of multiorgan dysfunction is likely to be an underestimate of the current burden of post-hospitalisation multiorgan dysfunction.
(..)
In summary, in our prospective MRI study of post-hospitalised patients with COVID-19, multiorgan MRI abnormalities were about three times more common among patients after hospital discharge than in uninfected, non-hospitalised controls, and linked to persistent severe and very severe physical and mental health impairment. Both inflammatory and vascular or haemostatic patterns of injury were observed across some organs. These findings underscore the need for multi-targeted therapies and integrated multidisciplinary follow-up services for patients recovering after hospital admission with COVID-19.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
COVID therapeutic and vaccine purchasing is over!

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/pfizer-swings-quarterly-loss-due-paxlovid-write-off-2023-10-31/ posted:

Pfizer swings to quarterly loss as COVID product demand slump sparks charges
(..)
Paxlovid sales slumped 97% in the third quarter to $202 million, while vaccine revenue came in at $1.31 billion, down from $4.4 billion a year earlier.
(..)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

New Found Power posted:

lol the solution to children sitting outside of a Taco Bell to access wifi is pretty clearly and obviously not "force them back into unventilated schools," it is "you should have rolled out equitable internet access years ago but there's no better time to start than now."

What the gently caress is wrong with this country and the throw-the-baby-out-with-the-bath-water solutions that everyone agrees to as though they're just common sense

Apr 7, 2003

We're going to come out of the largest mass death event in American history with the common-sense shared belief that we actually did too much and should have done nothing at all, very cool

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Pingui posted:

COVID therapeutic and vaccine purchasing is over!

quote:

However, annual vaccination rates have dropped sharply and demand for treatments has dipped as population-wide immunity has increased.

:dafuq:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We're going to come out of the largest mass death event in American history with the common-sense shared belief that we actually did too much and should have done nothing at all, very cool

feature not bug for the next one, and climate change

Apr 7, 2003

These people won utterly and completely, in every way that matters, and nearly four years on they can't stop twisting the knife to make sure that even the bare minimum we did to prevent death is never done again. lmao

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

quote:

As for flattening the curve, “that’s not a real lockdown,” Osterholm says. “You’re just reducing contact for a few weeks to help the hospitals.”

Buried deep in that article is the admission that what we did wasn't actually a lockdown

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Nothus posted:

Buried deep in that article is the admission that what we did wasn't actually a lockdown

Sounds like something a lockdown would say.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
That thing we actually didn't do totally doesn't work

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Guy from work did some flights/hotels for meetings last week and yesterday sent us all a message that he "must have caught a bug while traveling" because he didn't get out of bed on Sunday and was taking Monday off because he still felt terrible. The idea that it may be COVID or that he should even test for COVID didn't even cross his mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

maxwellhill posted:

holy poo poo, that test2treat.com site just mailed me Paxlovid, straight to my door, no cost, no pharmacy visit, and no phone call. the entire process was just "fill out the web form" and then three days later it's waiting for me outside my front door.

to access this service I just applied for the free tests from test2treat back when everyone else did, used the backdoor because they had shut down signups at the time, got my 4 rapid tests in the mail from them, and then clicked through on the follow up emails where they were like "get telehealth based on your test result".

I was slow and got in during the sign-up period so it wants to send me to a telehealth visit before giving me anything. I'm not sick, I just want the free 'script on hand so that I have it on hand when I DO get sick and can't get a local hook-up. Does the telehealth visit actually mean talking to a person, or is it just a series of webforms?