Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Reaper knew what the world was clamoring for: another OSR themed D&D clone. I don't know who thought this would be a good idea in 2023, but it's off to a surprisingly strong start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Echophonic posted:

Taking layout advice from the fuckin' Book of the SubGenius, what the hell.

That Italian Guy posted:

I had originally backed this at a physical tier, but I decided to cancel before the end of the campaign. I was afraid it was going to be some kind of novelty item on my shelf more than anything else...
I'll tell you what.

I'm going to eat my words.

The actual mechanics of the game are laid out in a sensible fashion and won't melt your eyes.

It looks... Good? Or at least a fun time with your friends?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

EverettLO posted:

Reaper knew what the world was clamoring for: another OSR themed D&D clone. I don't know who thought this would be a good idea in 2023, but it's off to a surprisingly strong start.

How many people are backing only for the minis?

Edit: Looks like very few, actually. That's surprising. As of this post only 24 of the 334 backers are at the minis only tier.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

dwarf74 posted:

The Monty Python rpg pdf dropped and uh it sure is something. I'm reasonably sure there's an rpg in here among the um... layout.

It's beautiful. The layout fits the theme. It's hurting my eyes and actively hostile to reading. I wish I had a plain text version.

EDIT - Oh seems like the rules parts are laid out more clearly. So far. That's good.

Edit 2 - I take it back. The bulk of the book is fine and perfectly readable. Sorry.

I own some of the Monty Python books they published in the '70s. This is downright sedate, comparatively.

I almost wish they'd gotten Terry Gilliam to do some creative input.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

senrath posted:

How many people are backing only for the minis?

Edit: Looks like very few, actually. That's surprising. As of this post only 24 of the 334 backers are at the minis only tier.

I mean, right now it's pretty slim but I've bookmarked it to see if the mini tier gets enough added to it to be worthwhile, I imagine that ratio will increase if they manage to hit a bunch of stretch goals.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

The TMNT RPG reprint launched. Boy, it is something. $250k funding price, stretch goals set up suggesting they are expecting 2 million as a possibility, no PDF, and dice and miniatures that aren't shown even conceptually.

This seems like a bit of a shitshow.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ah Kevin, when will you learn. Still expect it to make a mil off of nostalgia and the license alone.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

EverettLO posted:

The TMNT RPG reprint launched. Boy, it is something. $250k funding price, stretch goals set up suggesting they are expecting 2 million as a possibility, no PDF, and dice and miniatures that aren't shown even conceptually.

This seems like a bit of a shitshow.

I absolutely do not trust palladium to actually deliver anything except maybe the book. Been burned by them before.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the page is so busy that it's barely loading, but it looks like it's already 2/3 of the way to funded at $185k. I would not be surprised at all if it goes over a million dollars.

There's been recent films and TMNT is a popular franchise and it has Kevin Eastman's name involved. A ton of people who have only a vague idea of who palladium are and no idea who kevin is are gonna toss money at this thing.

e. The pledged amount went up by $1700 while I was typing

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I laughed when it claimed to use revised rules.

No loving way you get that from Palladium.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I was wary about that KS because of all I read about Palladium and as a huge TMNT fan I was willing to take a chance…but, no shipping to South America and no PDF option means I’m skipping this completely. What a waste of such cool IP

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

NinjaDebugger posted:

I absolutely do not trust palladium to actually deliver anything except maybe the book. Been burned by them before.

Same. Got burned by them on Robotech RPG Tactics. That was before I knew better and now I know.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's over $250k now. I think this is a good example of how a publisher's reputation among long-time very online RPG nerds on some backwater forum isn't really representative of how a market will react when an extremely beloved and popular franchise gets attached to a vaporware product.

I predict it will break $1M by Saturday. I'm further going to predict a final number around $2.5M.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Azubah posted:

I laughed when it claimed to use revised rules.

No loving way you get that from Palladium.

It is probably the 'revised' version in that homosexuality isn't listed as a mental disorder.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
LionWing Games is putting out Eldritch Escape, a two player game heavily inspired by Souls games and Attack on Titan.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Leperflesh posted:

It's over $250k now. I think this is a good example of how a publisher's reputation among long-time very online RPG nerds on some backwater forum isn't really representative of how a market will react when an extremely beloved and popular franchise gets attached to a vaporware product.

I predict it will break $1M by Saturday. I'm further going to predict a final number around $2.5M.

All the physical rewards would make the cautious person extremely wary. Even if it's not being run by Ninja Division who is like the miniatures version of Palladium when it comes to hitting deadlines.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh god this feels like a 2015 kickstarter campaign except for the numbers.

Yeah. If you are an experienced backer, the number of red flags here is staggering

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Variant covers? Variant covers!

I was going to say "at least the artists are getting paid," but, well, Palladium. Hope the artists got paid in advance.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

All the physical rewards would make the cautious person extremely wary. Even if it's not being run by Ninja Division who is like the miniatures version of Palladium when it comes to hitting deadlines.

Like, I totally agree! But I think those things don't matter for determining how much money this offering will pull in. People who don't even play RPGs will buy it.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 31, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just want a PDF of it. That’s apparently too much (too little?) to ask.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Yeah, they waited long enough since the last two KS disasters apparently. I think most people don't even remember that there was a Rifts board game KS between the poo poo show of Robotech stuff and now. Which crashed and burned because the guy running it was just some dimwit game store friend of Simbieda's with no experience at anything and he kept picking fights in the comments of his own KS. I think. It's been a while.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I'm a little surprised they limited the tchotchke selection to stuff you could theoretically use to play the game. This really has the feel of the vintage KSes that would throw in t-shirts and keychains and other random crap, you know?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I have a full set of the old TMNT books and was gonna open-palm slam money for the collection, but the whole variant covers thing does make it look like a shitshow.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

On top of all the other stuff that allows regular offenders to slip by, Palladium has actually had a minor redemption with their Savage Worlds stuff. Even if none of the same people are involved other than Kevin, being only slightly plugged in or just more forgiving than your average handsome, savvy goon easily leads to "well they've been doing pretty decent lately."

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Robert Facepalmer posted:

It is probably the 'revised' version in that homosexuality isn't listed as a mental disorder.

Hahaha, gently caress I totally forgot about that.

I mean, the original is sitting on my shelf and they literally coloured in the original art and relaunched the book. Amazing stuff.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

That Old Tree posted:

On top of all the other stuff that allows regular offenders to slip by, Palladium has actually had a minor redemption with their Savage Worlds stuff. Even if none of the same people are involved other than Kevin, being only slightly plugged in or just more forgiving than your average handsome, savvy goon easily leads to "well they've been doing pretty decent lately."

Right at the top… “Hi, everyone! My name is Sean Owen Roberson. I’m the Creative Director and business partner at Palladium Books.” He was behind Savage Rifts at Pinnacle and brought it and its follow on Kickstarters out with no issues despite Kevin S. having a say in it. He was subsequently involved in Palladium’s own Titan Robotics kickstarter, which also was fulfilled smoothly.

I was certainly leery given Palladium’s long reputation, and how the Robotech tactics game turned out, but Roberson has been very reliable. Granted, with a multi billion dollar media company involved with TMNT, things might get more complicated… I suspect that’s why there’s no pictures of the minis yet, a long approval process is pretty typical for licensed tie-ins.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Bumping this as there is only a week left and the author has managed to include a Roll20 Pledge tier that was not available when I first posted about it. I have worked on this as a freelance designer, punching up monster stats, items, etc. I'm not really getting any extra money based on pledges/sales, but I think there's some very nice art/maps/design and I would of course like to see people play something I have helped creating.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 2, 2023

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I know absolutely nothing about the TTRPG scene in Japan - is Takizato a designer you particularly like? This thing is a fascinating idea, but also 2 player combination co-op/competitive TTRPG is such a weird pitch that I would expect almost anyone taking a crack at it to produce something either unplayable or completely uninteresting after one session to puzzle out how it works.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Wait WHAT??

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Vintage Palladium books are just chock-full of bad decisions

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

jivjov posted:

Wait WHAT??

OG Palladium books, from the 80s and maybe into the early- or mid-90s I'm not sure, infamously included homosexuality as bad brains effect from being evil/insane. (Which ties into how it has a pretty wild alignment system to begin with, and still does even if being gay doesn't automatically equate to diabolic evil brains.)

Honestly, I'm pretty surprised you're surprised with how often this comes up and how long you've been around these forums.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Didn’t the contemporaneous DSM list homosexuality as a mental illness, or was that just for trans people by then?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Didn’t the contemporaneous DSM list homosexuality as a mental illness, or was that just for trans people by then?

it did, yes, and that was the veil behind which publishers like Palladium hid

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

There were quite a few books back then that had some heinous poo poo about homosexuality in them. The Central Casting series of books had homosexuality as an evil trait you could end up with.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Irony.or.Death posted:

I know absolutely nothing about the TTRPG scene in Japan - is Takizato a designer you particularly like? This thing is a fascinating idea, but also 2 player combination co-op/competitive TTRPG is such a weird pitch that I would expect almost anyone taking a crack at it to produce something either unplayable or completely uninteresting after one session to puzzle out how it works.

I'm not familiar with his stuff in particular (though he's got a lot of accolades to his name) but 2p games have been of some interest to me for a while, as are games with automated combat and non-traditional gm roles, so it's caught my eye for those reasons (and full disclosure I've been a LionWing fan for a while; they do a really nice job bringing JTTRPGS over which is a relief after the Serpent Sea debacle).

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Leraika posted:

the Serpent Sea debacle

Oh man, I had to google just to remember what that was about (and they’ve been SEO’s into near oblivion thanks to a D&D5 adventure by Modiphius). And I backed Kamigakari!

(and still haven’t read it)

Last update was in May. Man, you know a project is considered dead and buried when irate backers gave up on yelling in the comments a year ago.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Parkreiner posted:

Oh man, I had to google just to remember what that was about (and they’ve been SEO’s into near oblivion thanks to a D&D5 adventure by Modiphius). And I backed Kamigakari!

It's still wild that I have an unbroken streak of KSes that eventually deliver what I backed them for and Kamigakari is one of them. Trying to chase that high I found with Double Cross.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Parkreiner posted:

(and still haven’t read it)

Last update was in May. Man, you know a project is considered dead and buried when irate backers gave up on yelling in the comments a year ago.

At least the core game came out and I'm pretty sure the fan translations for the other book mechanics are, y'know, out there.

kamigakari is pretty cool, though.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Leraika posted:

I'm not familiar with his stuff in particular (though he's got a lot of accolades to his name) but 2p games have been of some interest to me for a while, as are games with automated combat and non-traditional gm roles, so it's caught my eye for those reasons (and full disclosure I've been a LionWing fan for a while; they do a really nice job bringing JTTRPGS over which is a relief after the Serpent Sea debacle).

I've been very impressed with the Picaresque Roman and other LionWing kickstarters. Professional and efficient in my experience.

https://www.level99store.com/blogs/news/we-re-not-running-any-ads-for-bullet-universe

Level 99 made a post about how they're not doing ads for the Bullet expansion kickstarter. They decided to use that budget for commissioning more art instead. Seems like a cool call to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Sionak posted:

https://www.level99store.com/blogs/news/we-re-not-running-any-ads-for-bullet-universe
Level 99 made a post about how they're not doing ads for the Bullet expansion kickstarter. They decided to use that budget for commissioning more art instead. Seems like a cool call to me.
It's a bit unclear from the post, but I think some (all?) of the new art they've commissioned is just going to be posted and shared by the artists around the launch of the kickstarter. Not sure how much is actually going into the game proper. Either way, it's a cool idea, but I wonder how effective it'll be as marketing — how many people are going to see some artist they follow post some fan art for a board game they've never heard of and investigate further to find out about the kickstarter? I hope it's successful, because as they say, it's better to give 25% of their budget to actual artists instead of directly to Meta/Google/X etc.

All that aside, I'm definitely excited to hear about more content for Bullet. I only have the base game (<3 edition) and it's been a great time every time we play. Hopefully they'll have a way to pick up the wooden tokens because the dinky cardboard ones are kind of bumming me out.

edit: reread the announcement, they say that "[some of the art] may eventually find themselves in artbooks, promos, or other merchandise." So they might use it in the future, but none of it is directly going in the expansions, it seems.