Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
$10 bills are dope because you can tip service people who would normally only receive/expect a $5 or maybe some $1s. you can't be handing out $20s all day, you're not made of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

$10 bills are dope because you can tip service people who would normally only receive/expect a $5 or maybe some $1s. you can't be handing out $20s all day, you're not made of money

yah they’re great for that.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
still have nightmares about getting a few hundred dollars out of an ATM, saying "pick denominations for me!" and hearing it count it all out in 10's

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

JawnV6 posted:

still have nightmares about getting a few hundred dollars out of an ATM, saying "pick denominations for me!" and hearing it count it all out in 10's

is this a joke or did it actually say out loud how much you withdrew? that’d be horrifying

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

i used to go to an arcade with an atm that only spit out 5s. i failed to notice the sign the first time i went in and took out $200, planning on going to the weed store later

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
smaller bills = fatter stacks. that’s just math

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

necrotic posted:

is this a joke or did it actually say out loud how much you withdrew? that’d be horrifying

the whirr of the motor as it spools out bills is audible, you can hear it cogging out. the difference in counting out 7 $100 bills and 70 $10 bills is perceptible

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

arbuge 8 minutes ago | next [–]

I might be in the minority here but I personally find personalized ads useful, and am far more annoyed by ads recommending products and services completely irrelevant to my interests and/or needs.
(The latter still account for the ads I see most of the time, unfortunately.)

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

I might be in the minority here but I personally find personalized ads useful, and am far more annoyed by ads recommending products and services completely irrelevant to my interests and/or needs.
didn't someone just say the same thing a couple weeks ago in yospos

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
$2 bill chat. I keep one folded around the outside of my other cash. It’s a tradition my father did that I now do.

anyway HackerNews sucks

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

JawnV6 posted:

the whirr of the motor as it spools out bills is audible, you can hear it cogging out. the difference in counting out 7 $100 bills and 70 $10 bills is perceptible

oh yeah duh

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

namlosh posted:

$2 bill chat. I keep one folded around the outside of my other cash. It’s a tradition my father did that I now do.

anyway HackerNews sucks

I keep the big bills on the outside too.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

necrotic posted:

oh yeah duh

it would be really funny if atms had to count your money outloud like someone making change whenever you used one

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

fritz posted:

Dr Alex Bugeja

Founder & CEO at Traffikoo, an online advertising and ecommerce services company, and occasional angel investor.

golly gee who would have guessed

mystes
May 31, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Dr Alex Bugeja

Founder & CEO at Traffikoo, an online advertising and ecommerce services company, and occasional angel investor.

golly gee who would have guessed
Lol

I did have a coworker express that exact sentiment to me before though (saying that they liked Facebook ads because they are so well targeted to them) so there are apparently weirdos who aren't running ad companies who actually think that

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

that bad religion complete discography on vinyl thing sold out before i even knew it was getting released, targeted ads arent even that accurate.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

starbase 1 hour ago | prev | next [–]

Last month the same union called for a walkout at Tesla. It failed, with employees citing Tesla's higher wages, better working conditions, stock options, and workplace cohesion as reasons they declined to strike.
"Employees who explained why they didn't join the walkout wished to remain anonymous due to concerns about potential repercussions from the union"
With that failure under their belt, and having successfully chilled the speech of their opponents, the union is now resorting to tactics of war--a trade blockade--against a company whose employees have chosen not to unionize.
Upstanding folks in that union, I tell ya what.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

efitz 7 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

They should eliminate the license altogether and get out of the business of deciding who can practice law.
Professional licensing is generally a scam that allows people in a trade to control competition among other things. Under color of government it’s given the veneer of “protecting the public” but in reality it’s protectionist and also used to punish people who don’t think or act like the licensing organization prefers.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

efitz 7 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

They should eliminate the license altogether and get out of the business of deciding who can practice law.
Professional licensing is generally a scam that allows people in a trade to control competition among other things. Under color of government it’s given the veneer of “protecting the public” but in reality it’s protectionist and also used to punish people who don’t think or act like the licensing organization prefers.
On the one hand that would be a bad idea but on the other hand it would be pretty funny if crazy libertarians and sovereign citizens could hire crazy fake lawyers who would antagonize the court and get them turbofucked

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

mystes posted:

On the one hand that would be a bad idea but on the other hand it would be pretty funny if crazy libertarians and sovereign citizens could hire crazy fake lawyers who would antagonize the court and get them turbofucked

they already can (and do) choose to represent themselves, so i don't see what the problem is

also, a sovereign citizen doesn't need a lawyer because united states laws don't apply to them. haven't you read the magna carta, it's all in there

mystes
May 31, 2006

maybe more of a magnacarter then?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

swsdsailor 34 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

Paying a bribe should not get you in trouble. The city forces their hand. One stroke of their pen and your design costs increase by tens of thousands under some minor pretext. If you want to get something done you absolutely have to bribe them or they will decimate your budget with endless changes.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

they're pretty close. the US system is not a direct bribe to someone at the city/county. instead you have to hire the correct person, who used to work there, to get your project through

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

smokel 28 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

This may sound like I am a complete idiot, but I sincerely think that reading works like the Tao Te Ching may help more than reading books on software architecture.
There are still many new ways of architecture to be found. For example, making software with an extension language could result in way better systems than a system envisioned by a customer who has no clue about computers. But unfortunately, it is often a nonsensical output constraint that determines how software evolves.
Knowing how to manage these constraints is key. And this requires understanding and being able to successfully communicate with people, and keeping track of contemporary hardware and software to interface with. The actual software design seems largely irrelevant to me.
Just use good names, and subdivide complexity into modules with a lower cumulative complexity.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

fritz posted:

smokel 28 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

This may sound like I am a complete idiot, but I sincerely think that reading works like the Tao Te Ching may help more than reading books on software architecture.
There are still many new ways of architecture to be found. For example, making software with an extension language could result in way better systems than a system envisioned by a customer who has no clue about computers. But unfortunately, it is often a nonsensical output constraint that determines how software evolves.
Knowing how to manage these constraints is key. And this requires understanding and being able to successfully communicate with people, and keeping track of contemporary hardware and software to interface with. The actual software design seems largely irrelevant to me.
Just use good names, and subdivide complexity into modules with a lower cumulative complexity.

this person isn’t really wrong even if they’re explaining their idea in a stupid way

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pattern language as a concept comes from Christopher Alexander’s architecture writing. this hackerling is correct that there are lots of sources of good learning on systems and interactions outside software. I presume that this is blind luck

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

kitten emergency posted:

this person isn’t really wrong even if they’re explaining their idea in a stupid way

I think they're very close to getting it but they may be veering off in a weird direction. It's hard to say just based on what's written here.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
not...read...only...computer...books?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
dboreham 12 minutes ago | next [–]

I think our own brains have fooled us into thinking that cognitive processes are more clever/complex than they really are. The recent successes from LLMs/Generative AI give a hint that things don't need to be so complex and mysteriously difficult to be quite like human intelligence.

"Imagination" seems like just an indirection mechanism: simple animal can do "go towards the food you can sense". A more complex animal can "remember where the food was sensed, then go towards that place later". An even more complex animal can: "From other sensed information (e.g. habitat type), construct the same food-memory object that the more primitive animal used, then go towards that". By the time you get to that third level of sophistication we're calling the mechanism imagination.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I, too, proclaim solid matter is over because I saw Pepper's ghost illusion on stage once

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jose Valasquez posted:

Geee 3 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Engineered material can reconnect severed nerves

If I understand correctly, this allows nerve-to-digital and digital-to-nerve conversions. This means that we're soon able to replace our bodies with robotic ones.
The remaining problem is to figure out how to keep a brain alive in a vat, and making the life-support devices small enough to fit inside the body. It's probably not too difficult; you need to circulate blood, remove carbon dioxide, add oxygen, add glucose. You could probably keep the brain alive indefinitely.

this person wants to transplant their brain into a cybernetic dragon with multiple dicks

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

eschaton posted:

this person wants to transplant their brain into a cybernetic dragon with multiple dicks

It's probably not too difficult.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

kliras posted:

i've received two obscure job offers from "looking at my github" via e-mail that came from asian countries, and i'm assuming they wanted me less for my python and js skills than my internal organs, but i still wrote them a nice "no thank you, but i appreciate it" just in case

maybe i could be living the life right now instead of being stuck here in europe

I get these occasionally despite having contributed almost no code to almost no public repositories

I like to ask what contributions specifically caught their eye, usually gets them to admit they only saw some summary that said I “contributed” to this or that project, almost all of which were just me filing an issue or commenting on an issue or PR

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

eschaton posted:

hell same

mystes
May 31, 2006

eschaton posted:

the taxonomy of dragons is not entirely clear but if they're lizards it would hardly be proper for them not to have multiple dicks, so that only seems reasonable

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

eschaton posted:

now that you mention it,

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

eschaton posted:

whomst amongst us?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

eschaton posted:

sorry this would be too well-adjusted for hn

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

does nobody remember the denizens of Malatora, who wanted to seize the island or São Tomé and establish a utopia where they can transcend weak human flesh and become the dragons they were always meant to be

eschaton fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

the goonfic that came of it, “Aluminum Sky,” was absolutely hilarious