Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Playing Alan Wake 1 will help before playing Alan Wake 1. You'll be better at it for sure

The gameplay mechanics of aw2 definitely are not complicated enough that you would need to replay aw1 first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

site posted:

The gameplay mechanics of aw2 definitely are not complicated enough that you would need to replay aw1 first

Yeah but if you want to understand the story of Alan Wake 1 you should play Alan Wake 1 before you play Alan Wake 1.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lmao I need more coffee how did I not catch that

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Yeah but if you want to understand the story of Alan Wake 1 you should play Alan Wake 1 before you play Alan Wake 1.

this is very much a true statement

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Playing Alan Wake 2 before Alan Wake 1 however will make you sincerely question what "Alan Wake 1" even is.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm a bit lost following Alan's first section. He said that he suspects him being freed from The Dark Place has freed Scratch too, but Scratch was already free and taunting Alice. Is American Nightmare canon and him taunting Alice was pre American Nightmare? Or am I meant to be confused? Also, not a question, but did Barry really not loving explain to Alice what had happened? Also, Barry hasn't been mentioned once yet!!

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm a bit lost following Alan's first section. He said that he suspects him being freed from The Dark Place has freed Scratch too, but Scratch was already free and taunting Alice. Is American Nightmare canon and him taunting Alice was pre American Nightmare? Or am I meant to be confused? Also, not a question, but did Barry really not loving explain to Alice what had happened? Also, Barry hasn't been mentioned once yet!!

It doesn't seem like American nightmare is canon

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

exquisite tea posted:

Playing Alan Wake 2 before Alan Wake 1 however will make you sincerely question what "Alan Wake 1" even is.

I played aw1 first and I question that too

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Alan Wake Experience

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

the best explanation we get is alan has spent the last 13 years trying to write stories that end with “and then I escaped the dark place and they all lived happily ever after” only for scratch to jump in and edit them to go “lol nope.” american nightmare was just one such attempt

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
Alan Wake isn't a lake, he's an ocean

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Oxxidation posted:

the best explanation we get is alan has spent the last 13 years trying to write stories that end with “and then I escaped the dark place and they all lived happily ever after” only for scratch to jump in and edit them to go “lol nope.” american nightmare was just one such attempt

So how was Scratch both tormenting Alice AND in The Dark Place waiting to be freed?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

PriorMarcus posted:

So how was Scratch both tormenting Alice AND in The Dark Place waiting to be freed?

Becuase the Dark Place can affect the real world but also literally end game spoiler Alice was in the dark place

Gotta say the lack of Barry, was really disappointing.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Valleyant posted:

It doesn't seem like American nightmare is canon

Mr Door mentions Alan's adventure in Night Springs. It happened it just wasn't an actual successful escape.

Alan has basically been failing and retrying for 13 years.

https://youtu.be/jDXSfKmKWy8?si=pYI8p0T-Npspolac

Malcolm Excellent fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 31, 2023

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

PriorMarcus posted:

Same way Alan meets Saga. Like an apparition. Scratch is just better at it

Malcolm Excellent fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 31, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Saga clearly likes deers because she immediately yeets herself to a deer head trophy while you are trying to loot drawers.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, WE SING is quite something isn't it

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Herald of Darkness, YÖTÔN YÕ, really all their songs/movies do an amazing job of being amazing on their own and *also* having a lot to say about the story itself. It's kind of amazing. Like big ol end game spoilers, if vague Herald of Darkness, the name of the song that plays during WE SING, and YÖTÔN YÕ are both fairly clear about what is going on with Alan. "Show me the champion of Light, I'll show you the herald of Darkness." is not a subtle line in the game's universe. And yet it's also not hitting you over the face with it, so it's entirely possible to hear it and just move on. Especially considering how good the songs are and how they pop up. You are more likely to just be engrossed rather than go "Wait, what did they just say?".

It's absolutely the best way to deal with something like that in a genre like this, and really adds to the experience.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Saga clearly likes deers because she immediately yeets herself to a deer head trophy while you are trying to loot drawers.

Sadly the payoff for the deer heads is kind of underwhelming

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I had low expectations but was pleasantly surprised

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Just finished everyone's favorite sequence We Sing, and then the hotel room scene with Zane and it kills me to say it but I'm out. Just can't anymore.

None of this poo poo means anything. Or, hell I don't know, does it? I just can't take any more crazy jump cuts and manic dialogue and self-referential vice-grip circlejerking and new characters and wacky plot and sound and light that never takes a second to pause, and carve out some kind of meaning.

After people's comments here and elsewhere I legit was hoping that the musical would end with everyone turning to the camera and singing that Alan was a hack, and that it was time to stop overcomplicating the act of being a tOrTUReD aRtiST, and just write the god drat fucken story already; bring it home and stop complaining holy christ.

I'm glad this game exists. In this industry it's unheard of to be able to indulge your id to this level, and yet here we are--playing what is clearly--clearly--the exact game that Remedy wanted to make, with absolutely no consideration for genre, publisher, audience, accessibility, technical constraints. It's vanishingly rare, and though I'm being slightly tongue in cheek the industry would be a much better place if more games like this were greenlit.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Gaz-L posted:

What was the payoff? I tried to pet everyone one I could find but I think I missed one.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Chillmatic posted:

Just finished everyone's favorite sequence We Sing, and then the hotel room scene with Zane and it kills me to say it but I'm out. Just can't anymore.

None of this poo poo means anything. Or, hell I don't know, does it? I just can't take any more crazy jump cuts and manic dialogue and self-referential vice-grip circlejerking and new characters and wacky plot and sound and light that never takes a second to pause, and carve out some kind of meaning.

After people's comments here and elsewhere I legit was hoping that the musical would end with everyone turning to the camera and singing that Alan was a hack, and that it was time to stop overcomplicating the act of being a tOrTUReD aRtiST, and just write the god drat fucken story already; bring it home and stop complaining holy christ.

I'm glad this game exists. In this industry it's unheard of to be able to indulge your id to this level, and yet here we are--playing what is clearly--clearly--the exact game that Remedy wanted to make, with absolutely no consideration for genre, publisher, audience, accessibility, technical constraints. It's vanishingly rare, and though I'm being slightly tongue in cheek the industry would be a much better place if more games like this were greenlit.

Lol. Filtered

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

DaysBefore posted:

Lol. Filtered

Oh, you're that "my favorite movies are Boondock Saints and Inception" guy. I remember you!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Commander Jebus posted:

What was the payoff? I tried to pet everyone one I could find but I think I missed one.

the Mind Place deer head says that “her twin will guide the way.” when you go back to the head’s real-world equivalent, you get the chance to interact with it, to seemingly no effect. then when you leave the room an actual deer is glimpsed wandering through the lodge just around the corner. it unlocks the room at the end of the hall, which has a huge supply cache and a ton of mounted antlers

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Chillmatic posted:

Oh, you're that "my favorite movies are Boondock Saints and Inception" guy. I remember you!

The gently caress are you talking about lol?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Commander Jebus posted:

You go back to the hotel Saga and Casey work out of, and in the corridor with the rooms, a deer appears at the end and opens the door that was the door Jesse found Polaris in in Control. Inside is... a regular rear end hotel room with a bunch of healing items and some ammo

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Chillmatic posted:

the man's been spending the past 13 years to "just write the fuckin story already". he's done it many many times but it just doesn't work out, and every time he fails the dark place erases his memories. give him a break

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I love the continuous spiral of Alan Wake because it very much reminds me of those false awakenings I had a few years ago when life was really stressful. I'd dream that I was waking up, going about my day, see something "off," realize I was dreaming, try to wake up, wake up, go about my day, realize something was "off," recognized I was dreaming, try to wake up, repeat ad nauseum until I'd wake up for real drenched in sweat and utterly disoriented.

If you've ever gone through that poo poo, the plot kind of fucks you up especially lol. Even though it's some crazy poo poo going on in the game, I can weirdly relate to that nesting doll loop of madness.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I've finished the game and am still stuck on trying to understand some of it. There is a lot to unpack and game pointedly doesn't end. Alan might be Zane or another version of Zane or might be fictional, but Alex Casey isn't despite Alan's entire career being based on having written him but Alan has been in the dark place for so long that doesn't quite mean anything since cause and effect and effect and cause are not closely linked and time has no meaning. Odin and Tor team up with Mr. Door for some reason but of course they're younger on the show and have their 3rd bandmate Bob Balder alive so maybe this is all related to their adventure back on the 70s or whenever it was. Didn't the have a 4th member who was the Loki of the group and killed Bob? I thought maybe he was Saga's dad but no mention.

The Dark Presence/Scratches plan is ultimately to create a world of endless, rather vapid praise for it and it's creations, is this a reflection of it or Alan? I don't quite get it. Was Scratch a distinct entity from Alan? Is it simply his darkest self?
drat good music.

It's kind of a lot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

You go back to the hotel Saga and Casey work out of, and in the corridor with the rooms, a deer appears at the end and opens the door that was the door Jesse found Polaris in in Control. Inside is... a regular rear end hotel room with a bunch of healing items and some ammo

there’s no indication that room has any connection to polaris or the oceanview. it’s just a room at the end of a hallway

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

DaysBefore posted:

The gently caress are you talking about lol?

Lol. Filtered

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Chillmatic posted:

Lol. Filtered

Lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chillmatic posted:

Lol. Filtered

Lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I couldn't disagree with that dude more but I'm sorry ur rear end just got a crippling clapback.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Inception was fairly FTW.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

there’s no indication that room has any connection to polaris or the oceanview. it’s just a room at the end of a hallway

The hallway is near identical in layout and style. The game has loops and repeating patterns as a motif. I'm not saying I expected anything more than an easter egg, but I don't think it's a leap to assume there was deliberate echoes.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Inception was fairly FTW.

Alan Wake captures the disorientation part better tho, you kind of "forget" how many false awakenings you have before you wake up. The part that can make it so anxiety inducing is that you may well have "woken up" like ten times but you can't remember your previous attempts because you're in a dream and you can't think clearly. That ultimately makes it feel harder to actually wake up, because you feel like you can't penetrate the dream layer or actually know when you've woken up or not. This oftentimes also comes with sleep paralysis. The absolute worst times I would actively be trying to will my body to scream or yell or something so someone would wake me up, but I couldn't.

So yeah, this game definitely kind of fucks with me pretty hard sometimes.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ok so i ended up playing a little quantum break before work this morning and uhhhhh your friend, from the beginning, who does the initial time travel thing, looks like ahti to me. am i nuts???

e: oh i am nuts, its littlefinger. same pan face and upturned mouth i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Al! posted:

ok so i ended up playing a little quantum break before work this morning and uhhhhh your friend, from the beginning, who does the initial time travel thing, looks like ahti to me. am i nuts???

Paul Serene? No, I think Aidan Gillen just has a somewhat similar jowly face.