Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

zoux posted:

When did WGN stop broadcasting Cubs games

ABC7 (OTA) and Comcast SportsNet/NBC Sports Chicago had been taking some games for years, I don't remember exactly when that started. 2008? And then they launched the Marquee RSN for the 2020 season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/1719444267414999390

Gotta get some of that sweet Angels magic.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Mike Shildt seems like the guy to get of that bunch, lol at Phil Nevin.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Halloween is over, pack it in other couples-costumes

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Expansion and wanting to see more games with starters capable of going seven innings are pretty diametrically opposed given the talent dilution that will happen.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Shrecknet posted:

yeah halloween was yesterday dude

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Well Played Mauer posted:

Expansion and wanting to see more games with starters capable of going seven innings are pretty diametrically opposed given the talent dilution that will happen.

Dudes can go 6-7, they're just gonna get lit the gently caress up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

On behalf of the Phillies I have just agreed to trade Turner and Castellanos for salary cap relief. I will now take questions .

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shrecknet posted:

Thanks for reminding me to put that tweet in the OP

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why is Manfred so interested in preserving the sanctity of the starting pitcher?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/TwinsPlayerDev/status/1719729078125658422

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

General Dog posted:

Why is Manfred so interested in preserving the sanctity of the starting pitcher?

...Because name-brand starting pitchers are both more fun and more marketable than a parade of anonymous openers and relievers who go through the order once then get pulled before the other lineup gets a good look at them? I mean, this seems pretty obvious. Would you rather dream on your team's top pitching prospect being the next Verlander or Cole, or nod in satisfication that he's got three good innings in him every five days?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

General Dog posted:

Gambling most likely

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

General Dog posted:

I think there is something to the notion that if baseball is ever going to be able to draw eyeballs by advertising stars, the way other sports do--Mahomes vs. Allen! Giannis vs. Jokic! Crosby vs. Ovechkin!--the only reasonable way to do it is with starting pitchers. You can't really splash headlines with Betts vs. Acuna! the same way because they each only take part in a small fraction of the game. You can advertise "Don't miss tonight's game, it's Blake Snell against Zac Gallen!"... but not really, if they're only going to go 5 innings and both be long gone if the game's ever hanging in the balance.

I don't personally subscribe very hard to that line of thought. But it is legitimate logic.

But to answer your actual question, why Manfred cares: starting pitchers being more involved is probably better for gambling interests.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I wonder where Cody is going to live when he signs his 10 year deal with the Cubs.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

bravesword posted:

...Because name-brand starting pitchers are both more fun and more marketable than a parade of anonymous openers and relievers who go through the order once then get pulled before the other lineup gets a good look at them? I mean, this seems pretty obvious. Would you rather dream on your team's top pitching prospect being the next Verlander or Cole, or nod in satisfication that he's got three good innings in him every five days?

It just feels somewhat retrograde for baseball to try to put up all of these guardrails to stifle teams experimenting and optimizing. Especially when it's ultimately at the expense of player health. These roster caps on pitchers are expressly about "pitchers are too good right now because they're not being worn down enough over the course of the season."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

its baseball, we dont need to experiment.

Leagues actions recently, including the pitch clock, seem to be an effort to make old "unwritten" rules written so that historical norms are respected. Which is fine.

I know the unwritten pitch clock rules were written before and ignored.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

euphronius posted:

Gambling most likely

at this point I just assume it's always gambling related. I loving love openers and bullpen games, but I also loved the shift and want to see teams do whatever it takes to gain an edge and win that isn't cheating they get caught for. so I am probably not the opinion Manfred gives a drat about, especially because I strongly dislike interleague play

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HATE interleague, I only want to have to think about the other league for the WS.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

zoux posted:

HATE interleague, I only want to have to think about the other league for the WS.

:hmmyes: I remember as a youngster when it began my dad said that it was wrong and goes against what the Series is about and then when they instituted the one game suspension for pitchers hitting guys in retaliation WOW was he upset. glad I got raised in a conservative household (for baseball) where I learned things like Bob Gibson was always right and that guy shouldn't have dug in if he didn't want to get hit and sacrifice bunts are very cool

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
idk y'all, the first official interleague series between the Astros and the Yankees involved the Astros doing a 6 pitcher combined no hitter in Yankee stadium and that's pretty cool.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

:hmmyes: I remember as a youngster when it began my dad said that it was wrong and goes against what the Series is about and then when they instituted the one game suspension for pitchers hitting guys in retaliation WOW was he upset. glad I got raised in a conservative household (for baseball) where I learned things like Bob Gibson was always right and that guy shouldn't have dug in if he didn't want to get hit and sacrifice bunts are very cool

One of my all time favorite baseball quotes is from Don Drysdale, asked about the intentional walk: "Why waste four pitches when one will do?"

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
I wonder how the MLBPA reacts to idea to drop pitchers down to 12 per team. Does that come with an extra bench slot to maintain 26 man rosters? There suddenly being 30 less pitching jobs available seems like it would be a big deal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are roster sizes bargainable ? I don’t know

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bawfuls posted:

Teams train max effort velocity because it works.

Counterpoint: The Phillies' bullpen

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pobrecito posted:

I wonder how the MLBPA reacts to idea to drop pitchers down to 12 per team. Does that come with an extra bench slot to maintain 26 man rosters? There suddenly being 30 less pitching jobs available seems like it would be a big deal.

Roster size would still be 26, but you are correct: the MLBPA will Not Like It, because it puts 30 of their current members out of work and they constitutionally do not care about the 30 nonmembers that will become members.

Presumably MLB's response will be "expansion will add 52 jobs" but expansion is a whooooole different kettle o' fish so who knows.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Pobrecito posted:

just have everyone be a two-way player, problem solved

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Roster limits by position are stupid, just let the teams have 15 pitchers if they want to

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Never going to cut strikeout rates much unless you limit the number of pitchers a team can use to a number low enough where every pitcher throwing every pitch at 100% max effort is no longer sustainable

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eric the Mauve posted:

Never going to cut strikeout rates much unless you limit the number of pitchers a team can use to a number low enough where every pitcher throwing every pitch at 100% max effort is no longer sustainable

Artificially limiting the number of pitchers on the roster isn't going to stop guys from throwing max effort or being coached to throw max effort. It's just going to lead to loads of injuries and teams playing a constant pitcher shuffling game with 15-day IL stints.

If you wanna cut K rates then shrink the zone and lower/move back the mound.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is the goal, yes. It would be easier if they killed the zombie runner and made extra innings a real threat to precise workload management, but that's never going to happen.

As for pitcher health, pitchers are going to get hurt no matter what you do. And I haven't seen any evidence that max-effort in shorter stints is any better on your arm than the alternative.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Oh yeah that's the other thing: limiting the number if pitchers on the roster is a laughable waste of time if you don't do away with the Triple-A shuttle.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Roster size would still be 26, but you are correct: the MLBPA will Not Like It, because it puts 30 of their current members out of work and they constitutionally do not care about the 30 nonmembers that will become members.

Presumably MLB's response will be "expansion will add 52 jobs" but expansion is a whooooole different kettle o' fish so who knows.
This is no longer the case. The minors are unionized now under the MLBPA. They have separate CBA’s but they’re all in the same union and thus have a duty and reason to protect one another.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bravesword posted:

This is the goal, yes. It would be easier if they killed the zombie runner and made extra innings a real threat to precise workload management, but that's never going to happen.

As for pitcher health, pitchers are going to get hurt no matter what you do. And I haven't seen any evidence that max-effort in shorter stints is any better on your arm than the alternative.
The tradeoff is not between max effort in shorter stints and lower effort in longer stints. Because max effort is more effective at winning baseball games, teams and players are going to push for it. So the tradeoff is max effort for shorter stints or max effort for longer stints. One of these is quite obviously more dangerous.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Popete posted:

Mike Shildt seems like the guy to get of that bunch, lol at Phil Nevin.

Shildt actually seemed very competent but sucked at getting along with his bosses.

Phil Nevin is a dope who shouldn't be in charge of anything. Check his Twitter likes if you needed confirmation that he's a massive chud.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Ban a pitcher from leaving the game unless he's hurt imo. If you can't gut out 13 innings and 235 pitches thrown are you even trying?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Red posted:

Shildt actually seemed very competent but sucked at getting along with his bosses.

He has to feel a little vindicated with Jeff Albert jumping ship and Marmol being a lovely manager.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I was anti 13- or 14-man pitching staffs due to endless LOOGY/ROOGY use but with the three batter minimum I don’t really care that much any more. Openers are fine. Protecting a guy from the third time through the order is fine. It stinks if you’re in a fantasy league that counts wins or quality starts, but just change the categories if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Bregor posted:

I was anti 13- or 14-man pitching staffs due to endless LOOGY/ROOGY use but with the three batter minimum I don’t really care that much any more. Openers are fine. Protecting a guy from the third time through the order is fine.

I agree with all of this. The three batter minimum for mid inning pitching changes is great. Now if we could get rid of the new inning > pinch hitter > pitching change bullshit, that would be great. That's probably only a post season/Bochy thing though.