Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

I have been burned by SO games many times but this one does not look like poo poo.

Ugghghhhh same.

I think I'm gonna buy it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Kanos posted:

The hardest part about the SO2 remake is trying to figure out who I'm cramming into my party on the first run, because 6 party slots(plus Claude and Rena) gets very tight when I simultaneously want to use my old favorites and also test if they improved some of the more lackluster characters.

Same! With the Assault system, Noel might not be completely useless?? But I don't want to find out if it means I have to drop my faves.

Just give me a bonus mode after you beat the game with both protags where I can recruit everyone please

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Barudak posted:

Ugghghhhh same.

I think I'm gonna buy it...

One of us. ONE OF US!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

I have been burned by SO games many times but this one does not look like poo poo.
It's got a demo. It doesn't go super far in but you can get a feel for it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Chaotic Flame posted:

Same! With the Assault system, Noel might not be completely useless?? But I don't want to find out if it means I have to drop my faves.

Just give me a bonus mode after you beat the game with both protags where I can recruit everyone please

If you're planning to do two playthroughs you're good, since you can fit everyone in two playthroughs with one character reuse if you really love a specific character.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

From that video review I linked:

Rena route with Leon

Dias/Leon aren't route exclusive anymore or the reviewer mispoke about choosing Rena's route

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

For some reason I thought this was next year. Now I’m stoked to be able to play tomorrow!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I’m probably 2.5 out of 3 hours into the demo and picked Rena after watching Claude’s first 15 minutes for context

A white mage martial artist was not on my bingo sheet for what I expected from her, but I’ll take it

Seems pretty fun so far, has a poo poo ton of QoL and I bounced super hard from the original and PSP releases years ago within like 30 minutes. Yeah, i think I’ll pick this up tomorrow because I want to play more

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FractalSandwich posted:

Not sure I'm willing to take some random Redditor at their word on that one.

i mean blue reflection sun is a terrible mobage spinoff with a generic male protag made by none of the people who worked on any previous blue reflection games or anime that is probably desperate at this point to find some way to rope players in so it's not unexpected for it to be bad

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Didn't the director say somewhere that they had never played the original games and didn't care?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm kinda interested on SO2, but... I got the remake of the first one and played until the sci-fi twist and then dropped it, but not to dislike but just... didn't play? And while this game has so much secret content or so I heard than I'd pretty much accept whatever it goes, the whole skill and making items and events kinda daunt me.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i mean blue reflection sun is a terrible mobage spinoff with a generic male protag made by none of the people who worked on any previous blue reflection games or anime that is probably desperate at this point to find some way to rope players in so it's not unexpected for it to be bad
No, of course not. But if anything, the fact that it seems to confirm my priors (and theirs) so perfectly just makes me even more cautious.

Like, I wonder how bad I could make the worst things in BR1 sound, if I hated the game and was editorializing for an audience who also hate the game (despite not having played it). Pretty bad, I'll bet.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean what's there to editorialize. day one of the mobage's existence was already them confirming you'd basically be playing a male harem protag. you can't make the game sound worse than the devs themselves already stated it would be.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I suppose my big question is should I buy it for PC and then have steam deck options or for Switch.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like you need to bear in mind that the depths of how bad a lovely low effort tie-in gacha can get, are much lower, than a mildly weird vita rpg. even using fgo as an example of one that does have a lot of effort put in it was definitely in those depths for a while in its early run and some of the material from that period that you still have to play through to get to anything good is like. So, So Bad. look at the higurashi gacha man. that game is, depressing

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 1, 2023

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'm kinda interested on SO2, but... I got the remake of the first one and played until the sci-fi twist and then dropped it, but not to dislike but just... didn't play? And while this game has so much secret content or so I heard than I'd pretty much accept whatever it goes, the whole skill and making items and events kinda daunt me.
well good news is that the SO1 remake basically lifted the crafting system from SO2 vanilla so it should seem kind of familiar. We'll see what the remake does

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Apart from Arc 2, what game fills the Star Ocean 2 niche of being a recommended classic in a series otherwise most people don't give a poo poo about?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Apart from Arc 2, what game fills the Star Ocean 2 niche of being a recommended classic in a series otherwise most people don't give a poo poo about?

Lufia 2 is the one that sprung immediately to mind.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
blue reflection 2 😈

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Silent Hill 2

Pff
Aug 17, 2012
SO2 is why I keep buying its absolute garbage sequels full of hope.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Gyoru posted:

From that video review I linked:

Rena route with Leon

Dias/Leon aren't route exclusive anymore or the reviewer mispoke about choosing Rena's route

Leon joins Rena temporarily during the Hoffman Ruins expedition, so it could be that.

Saxophone posted:

I suppose my big question is should I buy it for PC and then have steam deck options or for Switch.

Load times are probably better on The Deck.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Wild Arms 3, maybe? It's the only one in the series people can recommend without caveats anyways. Even 2, which is quite good, comes with the caveat of having a really bad localization.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Shining Force 2 is a good one. I think only dedicated fans can possibly list off all the Shining Force games but anyone with a Sega and into RPGs has probably played Shining Force 2.

Grandia 2 might be an personal pick for me. I hadn't heard of Grandia at all until Grandia 2 on the Dreamcast and I still have yet to play the first game, and all I know about the other Grandia game is something about a cool mom and the rest of it just sucks.

Suikoden 2 if you squint, some people really seem to think the series just doesn't exist after 2 given how much praise it gets compared to the other installments.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Shining Force 2 is a good one. I think only dedicated fans can possibly list off all the Shining Force games but anyone with a Sega and into RPGs has probably played Shining Force 2.

Grandia 2 might be an obscure pick for me. I hadn't heard of Grandia at all until Grandia 2 on the Dreamcast and I still have yet to play the first game.

Suikoden 2 if you squint, some people really seem to think the series just doesn't exist after 2 given how much praise it gets compared to the other installments.

Grandia 2 absolutely does not apply because Grandia owns

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Infinity Gaia posted:

Wild Arms 3, maybe? It's the only one in the series people can recommend without caveats anyways. Even 2, which is quite good, comes with the caveat of having a really bad localization.

Wild Arms 1 and 2 completely own

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Nah, Wild Arms 1 and 2 are both good.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There's a spitting chance of Eiyuden Chronicle being the sequel to Suikoden II people wanted.

The only problem is the name being a scary mouthful.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rascyc posted:

If you're gonna play a suikoden you should at least play the first 3. The rest are completely optional

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

star ocean 1 is also good imo

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Man, I am so hyped to play SO2 again tomorrow.
One of my top favorite JRPGs ever, and the remake looks so good.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

If memory serves, while most talents can be learned by using skills, Dexterity can't, and Dexterity is really important for pickpocketing, a thing which you wanted to do mostly when your party is split up and you only have your MC.

Late on this, but iirc you can learn Dexterity, but it's a low chance from Metalwork or Machinery, so it's a pain in the rear end.
So, easier to just restart until you start with it.
Oh, and every character in at least the original had individual chances to either start with or learn a talent, and if you don't know about it, it could be really confusing.

Like Claude had a 50% chance to start with Dexterity, and a 7.8% chance to learn it.
While Rena had a 70% chance to start with Dexterity, and a 3.9% chance to learn it.

Cyflan fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 1, 2023

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

fridge corn posted:

If you're gonna play a suikoden you should at least play the first 3. The rest are completely optional

5's a solid game too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

fridge corn posted:

If you're gonna play a Suikoden you should at least play the first 3. The rest are completely optional

I would personally put 5 over 3 though I think they're both worth playing. 4 is an absolute chore though.

Suikoden tactics is also an interesting spinoff, not particularly great but a competent SRPG with a decently interesting story and probably the best way to experience the interesting setting of Suikoden 4 without slogging through the gameplay. Also just one of the more batshit reveals I think I've ever seen in a game.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, Wild Arms 1 and 2 are both good.

They're great. 2 having a kinda bad localization isn't wrong, though. Still loved it.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

disposablewords posted:

They're great. 2 having a kinda bad localization isn't wrong, though. Still loved it.

Yeah, even though I can barely parse what Liz is saying, I still love the game.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Cyflan posted:

Man, I am so hyped to play SO2 again tomorrow.
One of my top favorite JRPGs ever, and the remake looks so good.

Late on this, but iirc you can learn Dexterity, but it's a low chance from Metalwork or Machinery, so it's a pain in the rear end.
So, easier to just restart until you start with it.
Oh, and every character in at least the original had individual chances to either start with or learn a talent, and if you don't know about it, it could be really confusing.

Like Claude had a 50% chance to start with Dexterity, and a 7.8% chance to learn it.
While Rena had a 70% chance to start with Dexterity, and a 3.9% chance to learn it.

Another nice thing about the remake: Dexterity/Nimble Fingers is guaranteed on Claude/Rena

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fallout: New Vegas

The first two are tied down by horribly slow and dated 90s turn based combat and the Bethesda games are Bethesda games and written for people post in IGN comment sections. New Vegas is the only one that threads the needle of being approachable and well written

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Gyoru posted:

Another nice thing about the remake: Dexterity/Nimble Fingers is guaranteed on Claude/Rena

It's most definitely not.
I was resetting in the demo earlier, and I got multiple starts where Rena didn't start with Nimble Fingers.
Unless the full game is different for some reason?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Cyflan posted:

It's most definitely not.
I was resetting in the demo earlier, and I got multiple starts where Rena didn't start with Nimble Fingers.
Unless the full game is different for some reason?

I got it 10 times consecutively in the demo - 7 on Rena and 3 on Claude. Bamboozled by a streak :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
theres a difference between "best game in a flawed series" and "the only game anyone gives a poo poo about" and i dont think it's actually easy to find much of the latter because usually if there's one game in a series people really like it's because that series in general has aspects and ideas people like and that one game is just the best execution of it. or because it's like, two games that are barely comparable for a lot of weird production reasons. i could point to something like deus ex for the latter but it wouldn't even feel fair because deus ex's history as a franchise is a team accidentally making something good and nobody for the rest of history having any idea how to recreate that. a lot of those old looking glass/ion storm games didnt have a solid enough design identity set in stone from the start for anyone to know what really defines them or how to do it again and nobody who's been given the reigns over them really feels like they had enough perspective or design freedom to understand and evolve on it either.

when it comes to wild arms, yeah 3 is the most popular one and its design is, more polished than 2 and it has a better translation, but fundamentally a lot about wild arms 3 wouldn't exist without 2 and there's certainly a lot of people who love wild arms 1. 4, 5 and xf aren't even so much widely disliked as they are more obscure and weird, 4 is the least popular one and it's still one people find positive things to say about.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 1, 2023