Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

New Leaf posted:

This Regis deck is loving insane. I haven't lost a single game with it and I finished a gold conquest and started an infinite, so like.. 8 or 9 rounds? WWBN is absolutely broken.

(Regis may have come up with the deck but I gave it the rad name.)

I was not having nearly as good as luck as you were, it seems.

It DESPARATELY needs another tech card like Shang Chi or Cosmo. I got my rear end HANDED to me a couple times in a row in Conquest because I had no way to counter Shuri decks. I moved Wolf around a LOT on the third turn, but ain't no way I can overcome their 32 power Red Skull (thanks to Wakandan Embassy giving him the boost to 16.) Even without that, at best I could overcome one location that was 32 from Shuri+Red Skull+Armor, OR maybe the second location they Taskmaster to just 28...can't win 2 lanes with that much power.

Granted, had I drew Shadow King more than, say, once or if I didn't have poo poo locations (hard to Shadow King their double Red Skull on T6 when it gets played on The Vault, or do much of ANYTHING with those cards on Crimson Cosmos) I might have won more than a couple matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Skippy McPants posted:

Yep. People will bleed themselves white if they think they're getting a good "value."

The Disney Speedstorm game is disgusting for this. Most of their store items have like" 85% off" tags on them, in a way that quietly implies that a one star version of a character is 60 bucks, or a bundle with two 1* characters, some rank up items and two license plates is ~$200.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Red posted:

The MARVELSNAP7 code still gets a 'Server Busy' response, so I guess that's gone

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FireWorksWell posted:

The Disney Speedstorm game is disgusting for this. Most of their store items have like" 85% off" tags on them, in a way that quietly implies that a one star version of a character is 60 bucks, or a bundle with two 1* characters, some rank up items and two license plates is ~$200.

Yeah. It's sad that Snap is one of the less predatory games of this type on mobile. The bar is so, so low. Like, you can actually play and enjoy a good 85% of the content for ~$10/mo. Plenty of games want at least $100 before they let you even sniff the endgame.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah I'm around 60 bucks spent and it's been almost a year, four passes (tbh I only could have bought Surfer's and my decks would pretty much look the same at this point) and had a comfy enough ride. Now it seems like every new move they make is for the worse. I was thinking about the Magik bundle but after the Spotlight key announcement I think I'm done spending on this game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah. It's sad that Snap is one of the less predatory games of this type on mobile. The bar is so, so low. Like, you can actually play and enjoy a good 85% of the content for ~$10/mo. Plenty of games want at least $100 before they let you even sniff the endgame.
I really disagree. This mobius move is up there with the worst I've ever seen.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Last King posted:

the worst and best parts of the players and the monetization can be seen in the official snap discord shop talk channel...

at first there was outrage and confusion that the double the gold promotion wasn't working from purchases on the website - the way second dinner worded it (left vague) people thought they could go onto the nuverse web shop and buy gold as usual to double up. basically, more predatory dark pattern bullshit. a bunch of people immediately spent $100 and were shocked and angry that they didn't get 16k gold. apparently, this promotion only works on purchases through the app (or on the steam version i assume).

however, wallet warriors then started buying multiple gold bundles to see if they could get the bonus multiple times, and once it was confirmed that you can buy each tier of bundle to "double up" on the gold, the initial outrage turned to happiness as whales basically bought out the entire gold shop, spending $200+ and getting something like 33k+ gold, thanking second dinner for the insane "value", crying out for joy on how they can now buy all the bundles and variants they want for the upcoming hellfire gala event.

was very surreal to see this happening in real time...

the double gold thing will come to the website as well so if you just rushed buying those from the app, oops

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Skippy McPants posted:

Yep. People will bleed themselves white if they think they're getting a good "value."

My 2010-2013 Steam purchases of many, many bundles attests to this.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
They'll probably have a whole new set of double gold purchases when they get it working on the website

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Burned 3 caches, no Werewolf. I guess I can get the 4th cache before the week is up, but loving hell.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Despite my complaints I still really like Snap and I keep a general gaming budget that accounts for one game at a time being “you can throw money at this every month, it’s fine” so I’ve got no problem throwing the season pass at them every month with the occasional extra bundle. But man the stuff they’ve done in the past two months is Not Great! I’m probably going to throw them a chunk of change on Friday to get in on the double gold because there is an absolute glut of Peach Momoko variants dropping in the next two weeks and she’s my favorite artist in the game, so I’m 100% part of the problem because I’m unhappier with their monetization than I ever have been and yet I’m going to reward them for it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

No Wave posted:

I really disagree. This mobius move is up there with the worst I've ever seen.

I think there's much, much worse out there, but fair point. The Mobius thing is really bad. Like, between bad and worse, neither is good.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I feel like some measure of compensation isn’t ridiculous for them *completely* changing a card within a month of release/an expensive bundle.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Had this fun end state. It was a good try, he ended up retreating but he only would have lost by one power!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Sandwolf posted:

I feel like some measure of compensation isn’t ridiculous for them *completely* changing a card within a month of release/an expensive bundle.

Yeah, it's not specifically the nerf that bugs me as much as selling a bundle for 8k and THEN changing that card a couple weeks later with no compensation (sure the other stuff in the bundle was nice but it was a directly purchasable s5 card!!). They did something similar with captain marvel but on a much smaller magnitude.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

S4 card, but I do agree strongly on that point. Like I said, major revisions in Hearthstone always came with some compensation. Would be really nice to see something like that in Snap.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Yeah, I just don't even understand how Mobius is supposed to be used now.

Although I do think he was fine before, what would be the better hypothetical change to make?

Have him specifically block reductions from locations/other cards/self-reductions like Death & She-Hulk.

Or perhaps a symmetric blanket Ongoing like "No-one's card costs can be modified."

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Cronodoculous posted:

Had this fun end state. It was a good try, he ended up retreating but he only would have lost by one power!

Only thing better would have been if you both had Jeff in hand so you'd both snap and you'd win

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Umbra Dubium posted:

Although I do think he was fine before, what would be the better hypothetical change to make?

Have him specifically block reductions from locations/other cards/self-reductions like Death & She-Hulk.

Or perhaps a symmetric blanket Ongoing like "No-one's card costs can be modified."

While he was overnerfed, realistically, his ability needs to be less powerful or split into two cards, or something. Maybe one with mediocre stats that blocks cost reduction and one with better stats that blocks cost increases. Or have his ability only impact On-going cost reductions from, like, Zabu and Sera.

While he was powerful, a core problem with Mobius from a design PoV is that a ton of Marvel Snap decks function by modifying energy costs, and having one card switch off all of those interactions was indeed pretty hosed.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Umbra Dubium posted:

i did ruin someone's Zabu deck with Mobius but it required me playing a deck that I forgot to update so MMM was still in and Luke's Bar happened to be a location so I could play it on 4 & 5

I'm fine with dropping a few bucks a month for my poop-time game since I really like it, but yeah the fact that they were apparently aware of and planning for MMM breaking the meta and then nerfing the card is pretty lovely. I like the shifting meta, it's one of the things that keeps this game fresh so most changes are fine to me, but if you're gonna experiment by deliberately breaking things for a month either do it with a free new card or update some lovely S3 card so everyone has it and no one feels ripped off when it gets dumpstered.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Why not just make Mobius like Luke Cage. Simply Ongoing: Your card’s costs cannot be increased. I dunno why it has to have the offensive edge, too.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sandwolf posted:

Why not just make Mobius like Luke Cage. Simply Ongoing: Your card’s costs cannot be increased. I dunno why it has to have the offensive edge, too.
What does that even do now that wave cant cost increase?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sandwolf posted:

Very few cards and locations increase costs. That side of his ability was a fringe benefit, and he'd be unplayable if that's all he did.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

While he was powerful, a core problem with Mobius from a design PoV is that a ton of Marvel Snap decks function by modifying energy costs, and having one card switch off all of those interactions was indeed pretty hosed.

Agreed. I wanted him nerfed because it's a ridiculously strong ability for an easy staple, but
players purchased/exhausted caches for this card under the impression that any changes would be to values and not the fundamentals of how its played.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Wafflecop posted:

I managed to get three caches by a miracle (in the form of absolutely crushing conquest with Thanos Ongoing)
What's your deck? I've got a Thanos Destroy setup but this sounds intriguing.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I feel like bounce decks are going force Werewolf to be changed to 3/1 or 3/0. This will greatly limit his usage in more "normal" decks like Surfer.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Deathslinger posted:

Probably something close to Thanos Control,

It's a very expensive deck. Klaw can come in for Iron Lad, but you really want most of the other cards. Shang can be any tech card. Works sizing early prior and cheating out a powerful five-drop via Energy Stone or Psylock, then locking up with the game with fluid power (Vision/Jeff) and Alioth's bullshit.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
mobius was necessary to turn off the obscene amounts of mana cheating that cards like loki, quinjet, etc. are enabling. there's a reason why that deck is everywhere and feels extremely frustrating to play against. mana cheats have been extremely powerful across a bunch of games and when that becomes the core mechanic, things are going to go downhill very, very fast.

rogue, enchantress, etc. all already exist which can turn off mobius but apparently no one wanted to tech against mobius and that wasn't good enough. already seeing people complain again about loki, so i can only imagine how much worse it gets in a month or two.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Loki is an absolute nightmare. If there’s a card that needs fixing, it’s him.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DeepDickPizza posted:

Loki is an absolute nightmare. If there’s a card that needs fixing, it’s him.

This is also a reasonable point. When talking about specific mana-cheating tricks, Loki stands head and shoulders above other options. They could do something like limit the number of cards he copies.

Edit: Like, compare him to perennial 40% win-rate mana-cheat, Mr. Negitive. They're both 4-cost now, but Loki has six more power, looser decking requirements, and often discounts more energy. For a start, they could make him a 4/3, or add the Minimum 1 qualifier to his On Reveal so he can never get 0-cost cards.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 1, 2023

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Last King posted:

mobius was necessary to turn off the obscene amounts of mana cheating that cards like loki, quinjet, etc. are enabling. there's a reason why that deck is everywhere and feels extremely frustrating to play against. mana cheats have been extremely powerful across a bunch of games and when that becomes the core mechanic, things are going to go downhill very, very fast.

rogue, enchantress, etc. all already exist which can turn off mobius but apparently no one wanted to tech against mobius and that wasn't good enough. already seeing people complain again about loki, so i can only imagine how much worse it gets in a month or two.

loki being a problem card doesn't actually make mobius necessary, it just makes loki a problem card, and mobius made a lot of otherwise largely unproblematic cards and archetypes significantly less playable

mobius himself had very little cost in energy/deckbuilding terms, a high cost in money/value, and not much reasonable counterplay - the cards you list do deal with him but also take 50-100% more energy (something someone making your argument should be highly sensitive to) and need to be dropped in mobius' specific lane after mobius, meaning that you were always at a significant disadvantage/might not be able to counter it at all, and the best counter to mobius was always to play your own mobius

that's pretty much a textbook bad design, and designing the game around the assumption of his presence was absolutely going to create more issues than it solved in the long term

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Who could have possibly expected that ramp and mana cheating would be OP? Surely not anyone involved in the design of Hearthstone.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I have fond memories of coin double innervate yeti on turn 1

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
outside of Loki, ramp and mana cheating aren't a huge problem imo

I mean they enable some powerful builds but they're not the only way to build decks on that level

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
My favourite use of mobius was using it when that location comes up that reduces mana cost by 1 to ruin my opponent's day.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

CJ posted:

My favourite use of mobius was using it when that location comes up that reduces mana cost by 1 to ruin my opponent's day.
we all laugh at MMM now but wait until Dream Dimension is the featured location, Mobius will rise again

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Deathslinger posted:

I'm running this:
# (1) Nico Minoru
# (2) Armor
# (3) Mister Fantastic
# (3) Captain America
# (3) Cosmo
# (4) Ka-Zar
# (5) Iron Man
# (5) Blue Marvel
# (5) Klaw
# (6) Onslaught
# (6) Spectrum
# (6) Thanos

Thinking about swapping out Mr Fantastic for Rogue to take care of Cage/Morbius/Knull

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess the last patch broke Daredevil

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guess the last patch broke Daredevil

Little bit yeah. Playing him in C2 with Negasonic Teenage Landmine is quite fun if you can puzzle out what cards you're getting shown on five (and have priority) though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/_JHugs/status/1719450153331925430

Pretty sure it's working as intended for Second Dinner