Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Has someone done a chart for SO2, like they did for the Chrono Cross remaster, that lists all the choices and variables? I got the game because the RPGsite review was glowing, listing the twenty years worth of QoL improvements.

If this game hits off, there's always a chance we could get Xenogears again. Maybe a remaster that lets you skip the fighting because nobody gave a poo poo about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
canon is an illusion. if you don't like a game then it's a spinoff, simple as that

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Actually, Silent Hill 4 is a great candidate for "should have been a spin-off". It doesn't play like SH and it doesn't really scare like SH. But its reduced horror elements do pack a punch sometimes, and the main character's introversion might have been fertile grount to explore. People would've given it a better chance without the big name attached to it, I think.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the combat in xenogears isn't really that bad

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I like the combat in Xenogears.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tequila Bob posted:

Actually, Silent Hill 4 is a great candidate for "should have been a spin-off". It doesn't play like SH and it doesn't really scare like SH. But its reduced horror elements do pack a punch sometimes, and the main character's introversion might have been fertile grount to explore. People would've given it a better chance without the big name attached to it, I think.

i mean sh4 is just kind of an unfinished game that didnt get a normal dev cycle cause konami was really pushing teams hard to get games out faster

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Looper posted:

canon is an illusion.

Explain Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, then :smugdog:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
silent hills is what i call my small breasts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*making cut it out motion across neck*

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Snake Maze posted:

Explain Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, then :smugdog:

Dark Draker

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i thought silent hill 4 the room was the scariest of the first four but i don't like being chased through tight corridors by invincible enemies

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sh4 is more just kinda stressful than scary i think. it's got a lot of elements that are stress inducing but the actual scare factor goes away fast once you realize it's mostly just, obnoxious

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you know what had a good scare? lunacid (2023)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

wild arms 5 directly led to symphogear so its pretty good

You mean in the sense that it killed the series?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Lunacid is great. And it's an RPG as well, so we're back on topic!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they made a game after 5

also kaneko wasnt directly writing 5 in the first place i think the series was just on the way out cause sony wasn't into publishing niche rpgs anymore

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
is there a horror rpg that specifically goes for a slasher feel? the stuff i can think of tends to hit different vibes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
closest i can think is the space chapter in live a live being a huge riff on alien

theres the lakeview cabin games but i dunno if you exactly class those under "rpg"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Legit can't decide if I should get Star Ocean 2 or Lunacid first. I haven't played SO2 in years and never finished it, but remember liking it a lot. But I also like King's Field and Lunacid looks really cool.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Snooze Cruise posted:

is there a horror rpg that specifically goes for a slasher feel? the stuff i can think of tends to hit different vibes.

Joke answer: Dead By Daylight

poo poo that's not a rpg, uh. I got nothing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Colonel posted:

if you really want to bait people into an mgs mainline argument you need to talk about whether peace walker is a spinoff and, if so, whether v is one by extension because it's a peace walker sequel but also half of v's story is the entire extended cast of peace walker getting brutally killed or turning into massive psychopaths off screen

The "V" in Metal Gear Solid V is not the Roman numeral for 5, but rather the letter V. They stopped giving them numbers after 4. It's actually MGS6. Possibly also MGS7.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lunacid is good, weird mix of king's field/shadow tower and souls stat building with some wacky morrowind acrobat/athletics movement stuff. been enjoying

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The Colonel posted:

closest i can think is the space chapter in live a live being a huge riff on alien

theres the lakeview cabin games but i dunno if you exactly class those under "rpg"

yeah i probably wouldn't call lakeview cabin rpg. but it does have the multiple characters in a party thing which is why i think a slasher is a weirdly good fit for rpgs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

I think slasher and RPG don't necessarily go well together due to slashers tending to be focused more around a single/small number of Big Names as opposed to smaller larger groups. The closest is something like Clock Tower which really isn't very RPG-y.

Live A Live has a chapter like that but it has almost no combat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

You mean in the sense that it killed the series?
the wild arms guy (kanako) and nana mizuki met cause she sang the wa5 op/voiced the female lead and then she recommended him for later work (including symphogear) cause she worked well with him

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think something with a SaGa style approach could work really well with slashers

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
someone should make an rpg inspired by twilight/moonlight syndrome where a party of three goes go on increasingly weird and hosed up paranormal adventures that end with a guy having a sword fight with baby satan

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

There should be more horror RPGs. Also, that chapter in Live a Live ruled, really enjoyed playing that game overall a few months ago.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shout out to the chapter of twilight syndrome where the three girls decide to go investigate a weird underground bunker and find out it's populated by a wwii soldier who's trying to create a secret weapon to defeat the allied powers by building a frankenstein monster

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

that Here. Comes. Cults! and It's Trauma screenshots of the dumb webshow really illustrate what western devs (and konami) think silent hill is

The obsession with Cult Lore in the Silent Hill fanbase always felt like the prototype to the modern ARG-sort of horror with "Game Lore EXPLAINED 4 hours" YouTube videos

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the cult stuff in sh is nuts cause it's obvious the og games were playing fast and loose and trying to use it more as background context than the driving force and then in comes origins and homecoming and now you are going into the silent hill cult base to have epic fist fights with them and every single character motivation is someone going "i became evil because i joined the silent hill cult and now i want to kill you"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Has someone done a chart for SO2, like they did for the Chrono Cross remaster, that lists all the choices and variables? I got the game because the RPGsite review was glowing, listing the twenty years worth of QoL improvements.

If this game hits off, there's always a chance we could get Xenogears again. Maybe a remaster that lets you skip the fighting because nobody gave a poo poo about that.

The relevant ones are basically:
  • Claude or Rena as your protagonist. Claude gets Leon, Rena gets Dias, in addition to having differing story perspectives at several points in the plot.
  • Opera is mutually exclusive with Ashton. Ernest can only be recruited if you have Opera.
  • Precis is mutually exclusive with Bowman.
  • Precis has a move that can only be learned if you have Ashton.
  • Welch has a move that can only be learned if you have Precis.
  • Because you are limited to 8 total characters and 2 of them are always Claude and Rena, if you're recruiting absolutely everyone possible it's possible to have a party so full that the last couple of characters won't be able to join even if you want them(especially if you're going with Opera/Ernest instead of Ashton).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
actually you know what would be fun, a stat raiser slasher. first part of the game does all the life sim stuff, daily scheduling, figuring out which stats you want to focus on, building relationships, and then you hit the slasher bit and see if the bonds and things you focused on will let you survive...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Snooze Cruise posted:

actually you know what would be fun, a stat raiser slasher. first part of the game does all the life sim stuff, daily scheduling, figuring out which stats you want to focus on, building relationships, and then you hit the slasher bit and see if the bonds and things you focused on will let you survive...

you probably didn't intend this so I'm not blaming you but all this reminds me of is Until Dawn

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hmm i guess i am getting dangerously close to one of those ironic dating sims if i describe it as like tokimeki memorial but you can accidentally date billy loomis, but i mean like, actually playing this straight and get mechanic-y with it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

wild arms 5 directly led to symphogear so its pretty good

what

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Junpei posted:

you probably didn't intend this so I'm not blaming you but all this reminds me of is Until Dawn

i don't think until dawn is a stat raising sim but i am prepared to be surprised

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Symphogay

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i played ib, the witch's house, and paper lily last month and it made me want to check out more rpg maker style horror games (which are rpgs, obviously)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Snooze Cruise posted:

there's a few games that play with the idea of one of your friends who you build your relationships with turning out to be a bad guy and your friendship level with them effecting the outcome of them turning bad, but they're all kind of weird experimental and niche and one of them is loop8 where this idea is executed so weirdly that the ideal approach to beating the game is to enter a committed relationship with every single woman in town and also the one bisexual guy