Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I just don't think Illari should be able to get fire-and-forget value from her pylon. Force her to replace it every now and then with a short cooldown if it breaks naturally and a longer one if it's shot. Plus it'll encourage people to move it, which they should be anyway. Tune down the support passive, make it take longer to kick in. Do something to Suzu, idk what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Do something to Suzu, idk what.

reduce the cd by 5 seconds and take away *one* of the 4 things it does, probably the heal or invuln

d0grent fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 1, 2023

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

just for april fools or a single day I would love for them to turn healing down by like a flat 50 or 75% or something just to see what the game feels like as people adjusted
people could definitely play around with custom games to try a lower healing variant

or they just release Overwatch Classic which had only zen, lucio, and mercy as healers

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I just don't think Illari should be able to get fire-and-forget value from her pylon. Force her to replace it every now and then

people keep saying this but pylon janitoring doesn't sound like a fun gameplay mechanic

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Inept posted:

people keep saying this but pylon janitoring doesn't sound like a fun gameplay mechanic

Less fun for one person instead of less fun for five, I'll take it

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I just don't think Illari should be able to get fire-and-forget value from her pylon. Force her to replace it every now and then with a short cooldown if it breaks naturally and a longer one if it's shot. Plus it'll encourage people to move it, which they should be anyway. Tune down the support passive, make it take longer to kick in. Do something to Suzu, idk what.

Its so big and easy to see/kill. Killing it take away a ton of her value for a pretty long cooldown. It's just like torb, which is cool.

suzu should have exactly the same cooldown as anti grenade.

headcase fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 1, 2023

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Inept posted:

its more fun than just putting it down and forget about it tbh. i like to constantly move it dynamically around where my team want to fight rather than make my team fight around it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

people could definitely play around with custom games to try a lower healing variant

or they just release Overwatch Classic which had only zen, lucio, and mercy as healers

don't forget Symmetra

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Good players do that anyways. You don't want it to get destroyed, so you have to have the game sense to self-destruct it before it takes damage.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Valentin posted:

Based on the timing (finals was Oct. 1), I wonder if all the Le Sserafim collaboration was supposed to premiere at the OWL championship (the same way Riot revealed K/D/A during a League championship) and that got spiked by the business decision to end the league.

The Overwatch League's previous and most distinguished musical guest (back on the first Season, when they were spending money galore) was DJ Khaleed... so probably not

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

What is this 'some of your hero customization is unavailable in this instance' stuff I keep getting?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Inept posted:

drat imagine having to press a button

BabyRyoga posted:

Good players do that anyways. You don't want it to get destroyed, so you have to have the game sense to self-destruct it before it takes damage.

that's my point, good players are doing it anyway, this'll force bad players to. plus with a minor cooldown of like, 1.5 or 2 seconds, it'll give more gaps to take advantage of.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Lifeweaver was not dumpstered by nerfs, they practically reverted a few of his buffs and people sleep on his damage. If Mercy gameplay is about maximizing damage boost, Lifeweaver gameplay is often maximizing your windows to shoot thorns and thorns do a lot of damage.

Discord orb was considered the strongest ability in the game by many since Overwatch 1. It makes Tanking so hard that many find it miserable to play against Zen. And then Zen needs to be one of the must punishing supports to play to compensate with the glass cannon design. They likely tested with making it harder to apply (including the range nerf that did make it to live previously) and the lockout was the best compromise, similar to the Hack lockout that Sombra got. It makes sense, it gives Tanks windows where they aren’t essentially Arcade Mode Tanks, and it keeps with the overall Support design ethos of abilities that are easy to execute but hard to manage effectively. And if it sucks it’ll be out of the game in 2-5 weeks.

For a lot of people, this is a great patch. Can’t wait until I get time to play it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Supports getting universally nerfed seems kinda healthy.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Is zen playing as a buff or nerf? Seems like buffyatta is back, but he has to be a little more thoughtful with discord.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I think he's better overall. Discord still owns, Harmony owns, 225 HP owns. Zen owns.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

novaSphere posted:

I think he's better overall. Discord still owns, Harmony owns, 225 HP owns. Zen owns.

Kick owns

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

the kpop skins cost as much as a brand new AAA game lol

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Kpop skins dropped and I have enough coins farmed from Microsoft Rewards that I bought Sombra's immediately. I also love the Kiriko and D.Va skins, but I don't play enough Kiriko and D.Va isn't out of her mech enough for me to pay actual dollars for them.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Inept posted:

the fun analyzer demands answers
Demand? No, but I'd really like to understand why they don't like flashpoint. I've had some luck turning some people around on it, once I understood their complaints and helped to reframe them. Will that work for everyone? No, but I enjoy the crap out of this game, and want to see others find that same joy that I do.

I'd argue that Flashpoint is pretty close to control, except that you move around the map, instead of being moved to an entirely new capture point on the map. The in-between rounds, are now moving between the capture points on the map. This is all the core gameplay mechanics, so what is there to dislike? I find that the little moment to moment fights while moving to the new capture point are equally interesting, not to mention random fights around the map.

I was initially a little frustrated with Flashpoints, but I found that mostly down to be not understanding the map. After playing more, and spending time exploring the maps a little, I don't have that same frustration.

A lot like push, you need some time to get used to the new game mode. You can tell they got a lot of good data back from Flashpoints from that mini event we did back in season 5 with the infinite empire. Because that was clearly a template for flashpoints, they found that random first location was really horrible and standardized it into what we have now.

I also originally disliked push, for much of the same reasons, not being familiar with the maps.

Javik the Seer posted:

You get 25 seconds to pick, then i think generally 45 seconds before match start. This assumes you are right there, ready to go. A lot of maps can take 20 seconds to get into position and thats huge. SO REALLY you have about 45 seconds or so. Thats if no one changes their character, leaves, etc. The easy and simple solution is to just remove the possibility of staggaring and have folks spawn on the defense point until the attackers spawn opens. This seems like such a unilaterally good thing that solves so many issues while providing no downside, i don't know why folks are arguing against it.

Isn't that what I said previously? You get an assembly phase, followed by a setup phase. Unless you have a potato of a computer, you should have picked a character before the map even let you move around. Also, in your scenario of spawning on the point, are we allowing them to change heros until the game starts? I am guessing you want a closer spawn room.

I would argue that allowing the team to move to the point after spawning in, instead of teleporting them directly to it is overall a positive thing. If you only spawned into that area and you are new to the map, you don't know where your spawn is, how long it takes to run back from it, or what things are behind/around you that might be useful: eg cover, health packs, etc. Do you always spawn into the point when defending after the initial spawn? What about when they take a point? I don't think its bad per-say, I just think it would introduce more potential problems and confusions than it solves right now. Maybe we'll see more on this front as they have added QOL things recently, like grouped respawns for QP. It makes it a lot easier to regroup after in game modes that support this.

Javik the Seer posted:

And flashpoint sucks because the maps are huge and take forever.

Flashpoint games don't last any longer in my experience than any other game mode can. What's "takes forever" for you? New players on new maps in new game modes are just like launch OW, no one knows wtf is going on.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Inept posted:

the kpop skins cost as much as a brand new AAA game lol

jesus christ

I really hope no-one buys them and the whole thing is a failure, but I know people are stupid :smith:

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

jesus christ

I really hope no-one buys them and the whole thing is a failure, but I know people are stupid :smith:

Why exactly is it stupid to spend some of your disposable income on a game you enjoy if it makes you happy?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Rawrbomb posted:

Demand? No, but I'd really like to understand why they don't like flashpoint. I've had some luck turning some people around on it, once I understood their complaints and helped to reframe them. Will that work for everyone? No, but I enjoy the crap out of this game, and want to see others find that same joy that I do.

I'd argue that Flashpoint is pretty close to control, except that you move around the map, instead of being moved to an entirely new capture point on the map. The in-between rounds, are now moving between the capture points on the map. This is all the core gameplay mechanics, so what is there to dislike? I find that the little moment to moment fights while moving to the new capture point are equally interesting, not to mention random fights around the map.

I think the breakpoints on how long it takes to capture a flashpoint are wrong for overwatch with the way respawns and run-backs are. You really just have to win 1 team fight and then 1 scrambling halfass team fight. There is hardly any meaningful back and forth or overtime. If one of your dudes gets picked between points you are probably at a 25% chance to win that point, which OK he shouldn't have been picked. I Just don't like how short the points are and how far you have to run to get to one.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Rawrbomb posted:

Why exactly is it stupid to spend some of your disposable income on a game you enjoy if it makes you happy?

Because the prices are too high, and it's stupid to encourage that kind of price tier.

Which is a shame, because they're great skins.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Because the prices are too high, and it's stupid to encourage that kind of price tier.

Which is a shame, because they're great skins.

Too high relative to what? I can generally agree and say that the prices are a little too high for my tastes, and it makes me double think buying skins. But, I see tons of skins in game, so they're clearly not too expensive, or they would have course corrected on the pricing. Its also alot better than some of the early surveys they did, asking people if they'd pay 65 dollars for a mythic skin. If we're looking at other F2P PC shooters, like APEX/Valorant are their skins not about the same price slash more expensive? I don't play these games, just general understanding of the market.

I bought skins (OWL) pre-OW2, so I was already spending money on them. I've already spend money on OW2 skins, because I thought they were amazing and enjoy them a ton. I just wish they had kept it around 15 dollars, instead of 20 for epics.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

jesus christ

If people were smart, they'd instead only grab the better free skin:

(I just wanted an excuse to post canonical E-Boy Junkrat)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Rawrbomb posted:

I just wish they had kept it around 15 dollars, instead of 20 for epics.

Why? Are they too high for you? Too high relative to what?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They started selling horse armor and I didn't not speak out, for I didn't think that 5$ was a lot of money...

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Rawrbomb posted:

Isn't that what I said previously? You get an assembly phase, followed by a setup phase. Unless you have a potato of a computer, you should have picked a character before the map even let you move around. Also, in your scenario of spawning on the point, are we allowing them to change heros until the game starts? I am guessing you want a closer spawn room.

I would argue that allowing the team to move to the point after spawning in, instead of teleporting them directly to it is overall a positive thing. If you only spawned into that area and you are new to the map, you don't know where your spawn is, how long it takes to run back from it, or what things are behind/around you that might be useful: eg cover, health packs, etc. Do you always spawn into the point when defending after the initial spawn? What about when they take a point? I don't think its bad per-say, I just think it would introduce more potential problems and confusions than it solves right now. Maybe we'll see more on this front as they have added QOL things recently, like grouped respawns for QP. It makes it a lot easier to regroup after in game modes that support this.

Thank you for making all of the points I was too lazy to type out and vocalize.

To add to this, the best case scenario is them adding a temporary “Press Interact for forward spawn” that turns off after the first 5 seconds into the game. It would spawn you in some room near the starting point (like say, in the gas station on Route: 66). But this, like the loss of seasonal map pools, would be an overall loss for the new player experience unless it’s another restriction that you add to a new account.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

headcase posted:

Is zen playing as a buff or nerf? Seems like buffyatta is back, but he has to be a little more thoughtful with discord.

I think the discord overall was nerfed, especially if the opponent is a higher mobility tank that can break LOS super easily, but the healing orb buff is extremely real and 25 hp is always a help

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I haven't played the game in almost a year, but I bought the full bundle using MS rewards and gift cards because I'm a Le Sserafim fan.

[edit] I picked Sombra earlier for a match not having realized they overhauled her kit lmao. Had no idea what I was doing with her, I miss her old gameplay loop :argh:

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 1, 2023

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Why? Are they too high for you? Too high relative to what?

I know you're just being a jerk here, but I did qualify my too high statement. I would prefer 15, over 20, but I cannot fault them for 20, when every other game like it is charging more, not less. It also must be somewhat successful, or we'd have seen changes on the pricing if it wasn't going well.

I would like to see them come down, I don't expect them to because we are buying them at a rate they find acceptable.

teagone posted:

[edit] I picked Sombra earlier for a match not having realized they overhauled her kit lmao. Had no idea what I was doing with her, I miss her old gameplay loop :argh:

Its been so great not having sombras disappear at 1 hp, and watching them die. I really like her new kit, both playing with it and against it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Rawrbomb posted:

I know you're just being a jerk here, but I did qualify my too high statement. I would prefer 15, over 20, but I cannot fault them for 20, when every other game like it is charging more, not less.
the frog has been fully loving boiled and it is loving it

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I bought cute girl Brig.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Rawrbomb posted:

I know you're just being a jerk here, but I did qualify my too high statement. I would prefer 15, over 20, but I cannot fault them for 20, when every other game like it is charging more, not less. It also must be somewhat successful, or we'd have seen changes on the pricing if it wasn't going well.

I would like to see them come down, I don't expect them to because we are buying them at a rate they find acceptable.

Its been so great not having sombras disappear at 1 hp, and watching them die. I really like her new kit, both playing with it and against it.

saying you can't fault a company for a lovely pricing model because other companies are doing it and it is working, is uhh, some kind of argument I guess.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Jack Trades posted:

They started selling horse armor and I didn't not speak out, for I didn't think that 5$ was a lot of money...

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rawrbomb posted:

The concept itself is far from stupid, it's nice to have the option to support the games you love and add a cool bit of bling that you'll get some level of enjoyment from.

What makes it stupid in the case of this game specifically is that the devs (which includes Blizzard extended management) intentionally sabotaged this game, took away development resources, and restructured something that was once pretty great into garbage and potentially a scam when the remaining devs revealed they no longer have the backing and or competence to produce the product promised. Meanwhile, people have been spending money on the cosmetics like the ones we are talking about, because they were expecting a product that they will never get. Many of us were also permanently locked out of a much more superior product, IE, OW1, that we had paid money for at one point.

On top of that, the kpop skins look like garbage. If you are paying such a premium price, you'd think that they would be much much more, like have cool particle effects, and or special emotes, or voice lines that come with them.

So yeah, buying cosmetics in this game PROBABLY makes you at least some level of stupid. If it makes you happy, that's fine. But you are contributing to something that is arguably morally degenerate, and a frustration of many people who choose to not contribute specifically because it's the most effective way to bring about change.

Anyways, this rant is dumb. Most of us know the game is a flaming pile of excrement at this point. We only keep any level of investment because there is no other game that fills the same niche, and we are stuck with this garbage until either it gets better or something comes along to replace it.

On another note entirely, did they gently caress something with graphics settings up with this new patch? My 4090 machine that gets like 100 FPS at 4k resolution in loving Cyberpunk is now somehow lagging in OW, without the fans on the GPU even blowing. I'm getting micro-stutters where my 200 FPS drops to 70 or 80 every 5 or 6 seconds, and it is making this game ACTUALLY unplayable.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 2, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I think the kpop skins look great :shobon: and the antifragile dance emote is very :3:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

BabyRyoga posted:

The concept itself is far from stupid, it's nice to have the option to support the games you love and add a cool bit of bling that you'll get some level of enjoyment from.

What makes it stupid in the case of this game specifically is that the devs (which includes Blizzard extended management) intentionally sabotaged this game, took away development resources, and restructured something that was once pretty great into garbage and potentially a scam when the remaining devs revealed they no longer have the backing and or competence to produce the product promised. Meanwhile, people have been spending money on the cosmetics like the ones we are talking about, because they were expecting a product that they will never get. Many of us were also permanently locked out of a much more superior product, IE, OW1, that we had paid money for at one point.

On top of that, the kpop skins look like garbage. If you are paying such a premium price, you'd think that they would be much much more, like have cool particle effects, and or special emotes, or voice lines that come with them.

So yeah, buying cosmetics in this game PROBABLY makes you at least some level of stupid. If it makes you happy, that's fine. But you are contributing to something that is arguably morally degenerate, and a frustration of many people who choose to not contribute specifically because it's the most effective way to bring about change.

Anyways, this rant is dumb. Most of us know the game is a flaming pile of excrement at this point. We only keep any level of investment because there is no other game that fills the same niche, and we are stuck with this garbage until either it gets better or something comes along to replace it.

On another note entirely, did they gently caress something with graphics settings up with this new patch? My 4090 machine that gets like 100 FPS at 4k resolution in loving Cyberpunk is now somehow lagging in OW, without the fans on the GPU even blowing. I'm getting micro-stutters where my 200 FPS drops to 70 or 80 every 5 or 6 seconds, and it is making this game ACTUALLY unplayable.

:actually:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Is there a way to get this game to realise that I am nowhere near as good as I was when I last played OW1 2808 weeks ago?

Is it just a case of "ruin a bunch of people games by being bad" until it gets the hint or is it one of those "match maker is going to gently caress you no matter what" things