Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

tbh you dont actually grind much since you gain xp pretty fast and 99% of that time you're doing it while exploring and looking for new things. the scythe is the only one that really stands out and it's just one of a few alternate ending paths and, one of the worst endings at that and the whole time you're doing it you're doing it while checking out what random poo poo changed around the world for the duration of it

Oh that sounds better than I thought if you’re already just re-exploring while doing it anyway, and “King’s Field but in 2023” is already kinda selling me as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I've just recruited the big tiddy witch in my Claude playthrough. Did I gently caress up?? 😳

She’s Okay, you get another mage that gets to summon a stand out of a book for his normal attack, but Celine is probably who like 90% of people get on a first run, same with Precis/Ashton.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

fridge corn posted:

I've just recruited the big tiddy witch in my Claude playthrough. Did I gently caress up?? 😳

No. No one in SO2 is bad enough to be unplayable or ruin a playthrough, and you can only have four active party members so if you end up not liking someone's gameplay style you can just put them in reserve.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Last Celebration posted:

She’s Okay, you get another mage that gets to summon a stand out of a book for his normal attack, but Celine is probably who like 90% of people get on a first run, same with Precis/Ashton.

I figure I'm just gonna sit down and enjoy playing this game for the first time rather than worry too much about constructing a prefect run. Welcome to the team big tiddy witch

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Who knows? If the remake changed nothing, the worst is that she'll eventually be redundant with Leon filling the same role she does for the most part (Celene gets more going on in support magic, while Leon is almost entirely offense-focused with an arguably-amazing normal attack for a caster character) but you get Celene when you otherwise don't have a full party and she's very good for the early part of the game. Plus she's fun to have around and has some goofy dynamics with a lot of the cast as she alternates between Big Sis and Big Tease.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SO2R had so many more ways to shatter the difficulty, god drat.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Junpei posted:

twas just a joke, milord

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I figure I'm just gonna sit down and enjoy playing this game for the first time rather than worry too much about constructing a prefect run. Welcome to the team big tiddy witch

This is really the pro SO2 strat imho. With the caveat that you should win the fighting tournament that comes up later and save the weapon for a long while.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

This is really the pro SO2 strat imho. With the caveat that you should win the fighting tournament that comes up later and save the weapon for a long while.

Will keep that in mind, thanks

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Does SO2R still have the random skills/traits/whatevercallem for each character still random? That was the one thing I wasn't a fan of when I played the PS1 version a million years ago.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

fridge corn posted:

This happened with the Tactics Ogre remake too, people are just really good at psyching themselves out it seems.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what hack are you playing.

Golden Sun Jenna Edition. the main feature is that it replaces garet with jenna, which makes more sense for the story i think? more stirring for one of the people chasing after the "dead childhood friend turned villain" character to be his orphaned sister. and jenna and garet's personalities are similar enough none of the dialogue has been jarring lol

other features include:
-skips the prologue and starts you off about to leave the first town
-utility psynergy not learned from items that could be lost by changing classes, like growth and whirlwind, are permanent
-utility psynergy costs 0 pp
-jenna knows the avoid spell by default, which functions as a toggle for random encounters
-the retreat spell acts as fast travel if you use it on the world map
-random encounter djinni can't run away

https://jackitk.itch.io/goldensun-jennaedition

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I am loving SO2R so far. The graphical style does a really good job replicating what my brain remembers about the old PS1, pre-rendered backgrounds while looking really modern and crisp.

Spiggy posted:

Does SO2R still have the random skills/traits/whatevercallem for each character still random? That was the one thing I wasn't a fan of when I played the PS1 version a million years ago.

Most definitely - I had to restart several times to get Claude access to Nimble Fingers (or whatever Dexterity is called now).

e:

Looper posted:

Golden Sun Jenna Edition. the main feature is that it replaces garet with jenna, which makes more sense for the story i think? more stirring for one of the people chasing after the "dead childhood friend turned villain" character to be his orphaned sister. and jenna and garet's personalities are similar enough none of the dialogue has been jarring lol

other features include:
-skips the prologue and starts you off about to leave the first town
-utility psynergy not learned from items that could be lost by changing classes, like growth and whirlwind, are permanent
-utility psynergy costs 0 pp
-jenna knows the avoid spell by default, which functions as a toggle for random encounters
-the retreat spell acts as fast travel if you use it on the world map
-random encounter djinni can't run away

https://jackitk.itch.io/goldensun-jennaedition

How does this affect your save file for importing into GS2?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
the true answer is always to boot welsh because she's just visiting from another game :colbert:

Any character can be usable and has something interesting about them so you can't go wrong with anyone. Every time I play the bigger pick problem is Opera or Ashton because they made the best characters mutually exclusive :(

The other picks (dias or leon, bowman or precis) are usually easier* (*I have never taken precis except for voice collection data because her voice in the ps1 version is atrocious)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Levantine posted:

How does this affect your save file for importing into GS2?

from the readme on rhdn: "Disclaimer: If save data from this mod is transferred to The Lost Age, Jenna will revert back to Garet. While you will keep equipment in the transfer, having equpiment Jenna can equip but Garet can't may have unintended consequences. Bronze or Silver password is recommended to avoid these issues."

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

SO2R had so many more ways to shatter the difficulty, god drat.

Yeah isn't the level cap like 255 or something? Don't worry too much about picking a bad character, you can make anyone disgustingly OP.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Leraika posted:

the true answer is always to boot welsh because she's just visiting from another game :colbert:

Any character can be usable and has something interesting about them so you can't go wrong with anyone. Every time I play the bigger pick problem is Opera or Ashton because they made the best characters mutually exclusive :(

The other picks (dias or leon, bowman or precis) are usually easier* (*I have never taken precis except for voice collection data because her voice in the ps1 version is atrocious)

Maybe you should get Precis this time then.
Different voice, and Precis really is quite a powerful character.

Jimlit posted:

Yeah isn't the level cap like 255 or something? Don't worry too much about picking a bad character, you can make anyone disgustingly OP.

It always was 255 in the original game too.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Looper posted:

from the readme on rhdn: "Disclaimer: If save data from this mod is transferred to The Lost Age, Jenna will revert back to Garet. While you will keep equipment in the transfer, having equpiment Jenna can equip but Garet can't may have unintended consequences. Bronze or Silver password is recommended to avoid these issues."

Good to know! I like to revisit the GS games every few years so a decent mod might make the next dip a bit more fun.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I'm assuming the answer is "no" but did the recent-ish Star Ocean 1 Remake get any meaningful changes as well aside from prettying up?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

disposablewords posted:

I'm assuming the answer is "no" but did the recent-ish Star Ocean 1 Remake get any meaningful changes as well aside from prettying up?

It's a remaster of the PSP remake.
It's very different from the SNES original, but as far as I know it's mostly visual upgrades compared to the PSP version.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Cyflan posted:

Maybe you should get Precis this time then.
Different voice, and Precis really is quite a powerful character.

I mean, everyone's really a powerful character, that's the thesis statement of the post you quoted. I'll probably do run 1 with Ashton and Bowman and run 2 with Opera/Ernest/Precis.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Last Celebration posted:

Is Precis really considered a first run character? I had to look up how to get her back in the day, since the game practically throws Bowman at you and they're exclusive of one another.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Is Precis really considered a first run character? I had to look up how to get her back in the day, since the game practically throws Bowman at you and they're exclusive of one another.

If you compulsively do Private Actions, you tend to trigger her recruitment event before Bowman.
Happened to me on my first playthrough of the original, anyway.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Man, trying to choose between Opera and Ashton is.. much more difficult than I ever would have expected

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Precis can learn an art from Ashton so you should recruit both of them in the same run. Welch can learn an art from Precis too.

always recruit Chisato because she owns

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

here is my favorite breakdown of the characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PG6fza3rKk

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
After SO4, I pretty much considered myself done with Welch forever, but if she’s better in this one I’ll consider her

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cyflan posted:

If you compulsively do Private Actions, you tend to trigger her recruitment event before Bowman.
Happened to me on my first playthrough of the original, anyway.

Yeah, iirc Bowman’s given to you as part of the story if you wait too long to get Precis but if you’re doing private actions you’ll just kinda stumble into her by just talking to NPCs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really, 100%, genuinely mean it when I say that SO2R changes enough that you shouldn't consider SO2 knowledge really meaningful when it comes to character combat capabilities and quality now. Seriously, just go in and play. The user interface is a thousand times better and makes it hard to miss things

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

What time does this release? It still shows as pre-order on Steam…

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Leraika posted:

I mean, everyone's really a powerful character, that's the thesis statement of the post you quoted. I'll probably do run 1 with Ashton and Bowman and run 2 with Opera/Ernest/Precis.

Precis is kind of soft-tied to Ashton because she has a move that she can only learn if Ashton is in your party, unless that has been changed. Welch also has a move she can only learn if Precis is in your party.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Kanos posted:

Precis is kind of soft-tied to Ashton because she has a move that she can only learn if Ashton is in your party, unless that has been changed. Welch also has a move she can only learn if Precis is in your party.

I can choose to ignore that soft tie and put them not in the same party; she's got plenty of moves as is (on that note, anyone who said they crafted all the extra moves for precis/opera in the ps1 version is a liar)

edit: I have played more so2 than basically any other game I've owned, I've not been shy about how much I have played this game in the past. You don't have to assume I don't know these things.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Leraika posted:

I recruited Welch in my SO1R playthrough so at least I know well enough not to make that mistake again

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Saxophone posted:

What time does this release? It still shows as pre-order on Steam…

Should be in about 35 minutes from now.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I recall finding Welch amusing back in the PSP remake. Not amazing, because she had to be wedged in there where she wasn't part of the original plot so she barely did anything, but amusing. No idea if I'd still like her now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Leraika posted:

I can choose to ignore that soft tie and put them not in the same party; she's got plenty of moves as is (on that note, anyone who said they crafted all the extra moves for precis/opera in the ps1 version is a liar)

edit: I have played more so2 than basically any other game I've owned, I've not been shy about how much I have played this game in the past. You don't have to assume I don't know these things.

Hey, just trying to be helpful. There's a lot of people posting in this thread and a lot of them have been asking questions about the game because they've never played it before, and a lot of them are very worried about missing poo poo.

Also I crafted all of the extra moves for Precis and Opera in the PS1 version every time I used them in my party. :haw:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Kanos posted:

Hey, just trying to be helpful. There's a lot of people posting in this thread and a lot of them have been asking questions about the game because they've never played it before, and a lot of them are very worried about missing poo poo.

Also I crafted all of the extra moves for Precis and Opera in the PS1 version every time I used them in my party. :haw:

I don't believe you, she said, scarred by the experience of trying to craft laser bit and hyper launcher

but yeah, it's cool, it's just a personal bugbear I get when people are explaining stuff I already know to me and I should be more gracious about it

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Apart from Arc 2, what game fills the Star Ocean 2 niche of being a recommended classic in a series otherwise most people don't give a poo poo about?
Suikoden 2?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Gainsboro posted:

Suikoden 2?

People definitely care about Suikoden 1, 3, and 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Apart from Arc 2, what game fills the Star Ocean 2 niche of being a recommended classic in a series otherwise most people don't give a poo poo about?

Phantasy Star 4 is a pretty strong contender. PS1 and PS2 are both okay games but are very old and rough and most people won't recommend you play them, and PS3 is a disaster.