Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

tuyop posted:

why this particular type of thing keeps happening is pretty bizarre to me too. my whole life the only thing we really tried to normalize in public was being fully clothed and civil.

Even I'm a little surprised by it every now and then, but I want to point out that, at the very least if you're American, that last sentence feels a bit privileged. If you're disabled or neurodivergent or whatever, there has long been pressure to hide or downplay that. If you're gender non-conforming (or just a lumpy androgynous person), that's going to draw unwanted attention (and in the case of some people I've known, violence). Or more generally if you're a lady who isn't latched onto a guy's arm anytime you're in public. And while not part of my personal experience, I probably don't have to point out how loaded the term 'civil' is in regards to existing in public as a non-white person in the US.

It definitely feels like there's a heightening of fascism while the empire turns around and starts eating itself alive, but if it's any small comfort that just means our experiences are getting normalized to the mean (so to speak)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
wake up, groggily effortpost in a way that may or may not be poo poo, page snipe

power move

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

tuyop posted:

my whole life the only thing we really tried to normalize in public was being fully clothed and civil.

schools banned black kids from having black hair when i was in highschool

this isn't new, it's just more

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
https://nitter.net/krisvancleave/status/1719893514455261406

:rubby: the threads are running together

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
yeah these are great points!

I was just trying to make a “no shirts, no shoes, no service” and “abuse will not be tolerated” sign joke.

because yeah it’s true that there’s social pressure to conform and it can be very violent, I just haven’t seen signs to that effect on convenience store doors where I’ve lived.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Visiting a family member in the hospital put me in public and at risk and therefore also in N95s more than I've been in the last several years (which mostly have been staying home but getting sick anyway via my kids). So I said gently caress it and just went full raver catboy, I don't give a gently caress, this is how I dress at home and it seemed to make the nurses slightly happier about their day? I also saw at least one person ~10-15 years older than me give me a once over and then look incredibly nervous, which made me happy even if I should be much too mature to give a gently caress.

I'm finally home and well enough myself to not get boosted; I almost did it while visiting my family because it was in a metro area with more jabs to go around, but I didn't want to drive back home vaxx-sick, so I have to schedule everything here.

Hospital was an interesting mix of providers in n95s, provides nose-dicking surgical masks, and everything in between. There were still signs all over saying EVERYONE MUST BE MASKED: PATIENTS, PROVIDERS, VISITORS but there was zero enforcement and I don't even know if it was an active policy or 2-years-old signage.

tuyop posted:

why this particular type of thing keeps happening is pretty bizarre to me too. my whole life the only thing we really tried to normalize in public was being fully clothed and civil.
here in Vermont you're not required to be fully clothed anywhere unless that place has there own specific policy but if you want to be nude you must leave your house nude, you cannot leave home clothed and then get undressed in your car to go into the grocery store :staredog:

I wonder if a nude shoplifter here has ever been ID'd based on their Genital Fingerprint.....

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
My wife and I are 48 hours post Novavax now and we've had essentially zero side effects. Our arms don't even hurt. A+ experience (so far).

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Costco cancelled my moth juice because I've already had the monovalent. I'm not sure how to get around that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Hospital was an interesting mix of providers in n95s, provides nose-dicking surgical masks, and everything in between. There were still signs all over saying EVERYONE MUST BE MASKED: PATIENTS, PROVIDERS, VISITORS but there was zero enforcement and I don't even know if it was an active policy or 2-years-old signage.

It was an old sign. UVM health network facilities have been mask off since the spring.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Has any other major chain started carrying novavax?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Joementum posted:

It was an old sign. UVM health network facilities have been mask off since the spring.

this was in NYS and they were clearly facility-specific signs and not health dept related ones. Whether or not the policy is still in effect, that HCN held on to the concept well past the mandate. All providers were masked in some way; almost everyone in the actual ED was as well.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Cabbages and Kings posted:

this was in NYS and they were clearly facility-specific signs and not health dept related ones. Whether or not the policy is still in effect, that HCN held on to the concept well past the mandate. All providers were masked in some way; almost everyone in the actual ED was as well.

Love hearing stories about these mystical far away places where literally anyone else is wearing a mask.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
got pax today

gonna get some for my wife tonight.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Platystemon posted:

Post on your main.

i think i namesquatted it from them and they're upset

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Love hearing stories about these mystical far away places where literally anyone else is wearing a mask.

yeah here in AZ masks are nowhere to be seen.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
the antivax media machine is so strong that when Taylor Swift’s boyfriend does a commercial for the new Covid shot, I can’t find a clean version of it on YouTube, but I can find several conservative hosts talking about how he sold his soul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Mxy_sWBvg

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 22:01 on Nov 2, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
lol

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Picked up my Pax out of the Post. Arrived Promptly. Perfection!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
They just loving love calling it "The Jab."

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Animal-Mother posted:

it's weird

or the phrase "take the vaccine"

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Pax authorized and being mailed. Hell yeah

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Test2treat is super buggy but oddly enough they have the best customer service I've ever dealt with. If you're having site issues, a stuck status, etc., don't hesitate to live chat with them, they'll get it resolved quickly and keep you updated.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
is there a script to follow for them

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Just be "honest", we're all fat depressed smokers with a positive result that we don't have a photo of after all ;)
(note: this method was valid for CA)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Animal-Mother posted:

All this infantilizing bullshit was always going to backfire. gently caress sakes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Covid cases are on the rise here in Melbourne Australia and the Chief Health Officer has issued a new list of advices, check out #1 there

Twitter link
:eyepop:

Also note it doesn't mention washing hands anywhere, lol

The comments are ....... mostly pretty good????

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
it’s so sad. seems like the majority of people want protection but we’re throwing everything away for the vocal minority

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

shazbot posted:

it’s so sad. seems like the majority of people want protection but we’re throwing everything away for the vocal minority

Will Stancil was covering polling on Covid mitigation on twitter and at no point did support for mitigation efforts drop below 50%

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

tuyop posted:

All this infantilizing bullshit was always going to backfire. gently caress sakes.

What do you mean? I think I know what you mean.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Animal-Mother posted:

What do you mean? I think I know what you mean.

oh it’s just a form of the like, “lying to the public for their own good strategy” of science communications since, what, 1970?

I don’t think it’s been going very well

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Covid cases are on the rise here in Melbourne Australia and the Chief Health Officer has issued a new list of advices, check out #1 there

Twitter link
:eyepop:

Also note it doesn't mention washing hands anywhere, lol

wow great advice. i'm not eligible for another shot for another four months, under our amazing "one and done per year, also no pax for you, also gently caress you" policies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mola Yam posted:

wow great advice. i'm not eligible for another shot for another four months, under our amazing "one and done per year, also no pax for you, also gently caress you" policies.

I'm in the same boat. :smith::hf::smith:

..... but I guess I'll be eligible for a booster shot on Jan 1 because the recommendation for my age group is now "Hasn't already had one this year" and not "Has to wait [x] months"
https://www.health.gov.au/news/atagi-update-on-the-covid-19-vaccination-program

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Must be nice having a government that gives you free annual COVID vaccines...

*clamps pincers on Mola Yam and Snowglobe of Doom and drags them back into the bucket*

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

shazbot posted:

yeah here in AZ masks are nowhere to be seen.

I almost never go somewhere and am the only one masked if it's somewhat busy, which is damning with faint praise maybe.

Also got Novavax, was fine for a couple days, was sick for a couple days, better for a few days and now I'm sick as hell again, what the gently caress world. Where's my natural immunity.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Platystemon posted:

Post on your main.

can't, he's perma banned

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tuyop posted:

oh it’s just a form of the like, “lying to the public for their own good strategy” of science communications since, what, 1970?

I don’t think it’s been going very well

Richard Milhous Nixon buried public health on the twenty‐fourth day of June, A.D. 1970.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

According to the email I got I'm receiving (1) PAX - 100MG 30 DOSE PACK TABLET

Stupid question but is this a normal amount of doses for 5 days worth?

The Demilich has issued a correction as of 08:12 on Nov 3, 2023

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
think so. 6 pills a day times 5

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm renting and the real estate agent organised an electrical inspection for today (which they never used to but I guess the govt changed the regulations and now requires it) so I made sure to ring the inspection company a few days ago and let them know the inspector would need to wear a face mask or I'd be refusing them entry. They assured me they'd make a note, and also told me that the guy would ring me beforehand. Anyhoo he just turned up on my doorstep unannounced and without a face mask so I refused him entry, then rang the company to rebook the inspection. They checked and apparently the first person I spoke to didn't add a note after all but they swore they'd do it this time. The inspection has been rebooked for mid November so I guess I'll find out in 2 weeks. :v:

I could've given the inspector a mask but he bailed before we got to that part of the conversation. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Demilich posted:

According to the shark I got in receiving (1) PAX - 100MG 30 DOSE PACK TABLET

Stupid question but is this a normal amount of doses for 5 days worth?

They’ve described it in donkeybrained way, but yeah probably. It’s only one pill out of three that’s dosed at one hundred milligrams.

If you got the renal dose because you had weak kidneys, you’d get only twenty pills total. They excise one nirmatrelvir pill for each interval.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm renting and the real estate agent organised an electrical inspection for today (which they never used to but I guess the govt changed the regulations and now requires it) so I made sure to ring the inspection company a few days ago and let them know the inspector would need to wear a face mask or I'd be refusing them entry. They assured me they'd make a note, and also told me that the guy would ring me beforehand. Anyhoo he just turned up on my doorstep unannounced and without a face mask so I refused him entry, then rang the company to rebook the inspection. They checked and apparently the first person I spoke to didn't add a note after all but they swore they'd do it this time. The inspection has been rebooked for mid November so I guess I'll find out in 2 weeks. :v:

I could've given the inspector a mask but he bailed before we got to that part of the conversation. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2w7z0aB3l0