Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Diet Crack posted:

Interesting considering they dish them out at a rate of knots

its an ethnic struggle to them. thats the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ohtori Akio posted:

israel is an unusually casualty averse society yeah. lets see how that goes for the idf

If we were talking about French military we'd be making jokes about cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Casualty averse as a synonym for cowardly. Oh but you can't say that! It's Israel!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hefty Leftist posted:

they spent billions on a projectile defense system that you can beat by shooting two rockets

every missile interception system can ultimately be defeated by firing more missiles at it, as a function of +1 missile being less expensive than +1 interceptor, or as a function of the interceptor literally not having enough interceptors to keep up

this is why ABM systems, in the context of the Cold War, are a dead end
this is how the Soviets envisioned being able to sink a American carrier
this is why the THAAD system, in the context of the Korean Peninsula and Eastern Europe, can be defeated
this is why Ukrainian air defense systems can be defeated
this is why the Iron Dome can be defeated

and on top of Iron Dome and Trophy, the Houthis recently managed to fire enough drones/missiles at a US Navy ship to run it out of missiles. They could have probably hit it outright if they had just a few more missiles to shoot, though that's perhaps an example of what happens when you don't get to overwhelm an interceptor system. Time will tell if the USN is capable of rearming.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

I keep seeing the take that the lack of infantry support for tanks also derives from "societal contradictions" - the infantry is going to be recruits, and they're liable to be picked off and/or even taken prisoner/hostage, and the Israeli government cannot stand that

That's the thing. Battles are loving dangerous at the best of times. And the best way to stay safe is embrace danger and to take calculated risks, constantly push forward engaging the enemy away from your strongpoints. That's a classic trope of soldiering, being willing to brave danger in order to protect your comrades.

Setting up your entire society around casualty aversion is going to paradoxically result in greater casualties. How the gently caress did they gently caress up this badly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hefty Leftist posted:

they spent billions on a projectile defense system that you can beat by shooting two rockets

This is some basic video game poo poo too!

Good post, I think a lot of it comes down to how both in the US and Israel you have at this point every generation of leadership raised in the era of superiority immersed in the propaganda and so now they have no ability to usefully gauge actual threats or how to organise limited resources because they're used to having the cheat codes.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

jesus christ this is the army that has been training the US police force

Don't worry, they are still the experts at putting zip ties on teenagers and beating them.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

every missile interception system can ultimately be defeated by firing more missiles at it, as a function of +1 missile being less expensive than +1 interceptor, or as a function of the interceptor literally not having enough interceptors to keep up

this is why ABM systems, in the context of the Cold War, are a dead end
this is how the Soviets envisioned being able to sink a American carrier
this is why the THAAD system, in the context of the Korean Peninsula and Eastern Europe, can be defeated
this is why Ukrainian air defense systems can be defeated
this is why the Iron Dome can be defeated

and on top of Iron Dome and Trophy, the Houthis recently managed to fire enough drones/missiles at a US Navy ship to run it out of missiles. They could have probably hit it outright if they had just a few more missiles to shoot, though that's perhaps an example of what happens when you don't get to overwhelm an interceptor system. Time will tell if the USN is capable of rearming.

they got a couple of those drones with the deck gun lol. rocks (metaphorical) are cheaper than an anti-rock system, but a good anti-rock defense will include a high-low mix of expensive and cheap anti-rocks. and israel is working with a LOT more money. i would look to the ground war as the one disadvantageous to israel, not the air war you can just pour money into

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

jesus christ this is the army that has been training the US police force
it makes sense because they both specialize in tormenting innocent civilians, kids especially

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ohtori Akio posted:

and israel is working with a LOT more money. i would look to the ground war as the one disadvantageous to israel, not the air war you can just pour money into

oh yeah, I wouldn't say that every anti-missile system is immediately/imminently beatable, because "missiles are cheaper than anti-missiles" and "have more missiles than anti-missiles" is not an easy thing to achieve, even if it may be a plausible thing to achieve

but it is plausible

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Keeping my body free of haram contaminants that could make me too sleepy before Nasrallah's speech.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ohtori Akio posted:

they got a couple of those drones with the deck gun lol. rocks (metaphorical) are cheaper than an anti-rock system, but a good anti-rock defense will include a high-low mix of expensive and cheap anti-rocks. and israel is working with a LOT more money. i would look to the ground war as the one disadvantageous to israel, not the air war you can just pour money into

Deck guns and a good targeting radar are actually quite scary.

"Oh they're just good for artillery or shooting other ships" Yeah, nah. They can shoot pretty much anything.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Sancho Banana posted:

The government is now pushing a law that will allow them to revoke the citizenship of anyone caught "supporting terrorists" online during wartime.

This was inspired by the arrest of an actress who posted Instagram stories "supporting terrorism" - one of them was the video of the old lady hostage driving around in Gaza with hamas with laughing emojis, and the other was an image of the fence getting rekt with the caption "let's go Berlin style."

The Only Mediterranean "fifty percent plus one" democracy passes the Enabling Act

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Of course, it probably doesn't help when you're up against an enemy that knows your capabilities intimately, because you can't stop openly bragging about them, and has been preparing specifically to counter you for literal decades.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Keeping my body free of haram contaminants that could make me too sleepy before Nasrallah's speech.

please go to sleep i guarantee you nasrallahs gonna make a boring snooze button speech and wont help Gaza in any real way, im not gonna watch it live.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

That is the real issue, the sheer societal contradictions that arise from this enormously bloated military and security budget, means that every other contradiction within its society, from ballooning individual medical costs, housing costs, zero financial security for its populace, the risk of dropping out of the economy and becoming homeless, everything, spirals out of control. They can destroy anything abroad they like, but the imperial core can not hold.

It's doubly amusing because one of the United State's hybrid war strategies against its peer and near-peer and non-peer adversaries is to find ways of accelerating the contradictions within them. The US has been trying to foment political factions within China and Russia (even pre-2022) and Iran and Cuba and Venezuela, finding leverage points, finding ways to accelerate the contradictions within those societies. But at the same time, the US is obscenely vulnerable to these strategies precisely because of the societal contradictions wrought by their inability to fund social programs. Half the Legislature and two thirds of the Judiciary are staffed by raving lunatics who think social spending will sissify the children.

Tankbuster posted:

wow, insane fundamentalists have hosed up ideas to make up for their otherwise questionable moral character?

:umberto:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

lol it's a bunch of this vs a bunch of people fighting for their lives

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, one big issue Israel is having is that they are trying to stop everything, they are sending interceptors that could be taking out much more sophisticated missiles to take out simple rockets. They are successful in doing so but the question becomes when someone shows up with real missiles and you have been using up your interceptors. The US does have Patriot batteries...but the US only has so many launchers and missiles as well. It is really about numbers at a certain point.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

External Organs posted:

George: I jumped into a hole in my front yard and emerged 5 minutes later, like a newborn baby, from another hole right next to Yankee stadium. Right next to Steinbrenner's parking spot!
Jerry: It's unbelievable!
George: Death to Israel, Jerry! Death to America! I'm a Hamas man now!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

fits my needs posted:

lol i forget theres a buncha gbs nafo fellas posting in here since they cant have their own thread

I appreciate that we're all on the same side for this but lol at the casual repeated delusional assessments of the Ukraine situation being made in passing and thinking they'll go unacknowledged. If Ukraine is Big Israel, that doesn't sound too good for Little Israel, does it?

(just kidding, unlike the Ukraine American support for Israel will never falter)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

qassam says theyve pounded a concentration of israeli vehicles with heavy mortar attacks

https://x.com/alarabytv/status/1720360461479059897?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dokapon Findom posted:

I appreciate that we're all on the same side for this but lol at the casual repeated delusional assessments of the Ukraine situation being made in passing and thinking they'll go unacknowledged.

making the analogy of Israel to Russia, since they're both the aggressors trying to do an invasion, Russia did also have a problem in the first phase of the war where their Battalion Tactical Group did not have a large enough infantry complement to properly support their tanks, and so their armor suffered accordingly on the attack, and continued to do so until they reconfigured their army back towards divisions as a basic operational unit

I don't know if Israel is capable of changing course the way they did

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

:byetankie:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

making the analogy of Israel to Russia, since they're both the aggressors trying to do an invasion, Russia did also have a problem in the first phase of the war where their Battalion Tactical Group did not have a large enough infantry complement to properly support their tanks, and so their armor suffered accordingly on the attack, and continued to do so until they reconfigured their army back towards divisions as a basic operational unit

if youre making this specific comparison because of that unscreened armor video, its an ifv not a tank, theres dudes inside that should have been outside

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

please go to sleep i guarantee you nasrallahs gonna make a boring snooze button speech and wont help Gaza in any real way, im not gonna watch it live.

I woke up at 9 pm so I could work late night and be up for the speech.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Dokapon Findom posted:

I appreciate that we're all on the same side for this but lol at the casual repeated delusional assessments of the Ukraine situation being made in passing and thinking they'll go unacknowledged.

It's like if lemmings actually jumped off cliffs

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
After all these hype trailers Nasrallah better deliver.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
please dont do an inverse ukraine and think that israels incapable of glassing the place. they are capable of this

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
lol at the alt angle

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Malloc Voidstar posted:

lol at the alt angle

lol

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
you think this is gonna be a routine day and now you have to make sure the whole crew didnt give themselves a tbi and find a recovery vehicle to flip the loving thing over. probably a bunch of sensors to clean too

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Absolutely not. The Russians had months to a year to reorganize and work out their poo poo. This war isn't going to last longer than months at most. By the time they start thinking of switching things up it'll all be over. They don't have enough time or space to retrain their reservists to do infantry screening instead of refusing to get out of their vehicles.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://x.com/alarabytv/status/1720368173164151219?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

American drones are participating with Israel in searching for prisoners inside Gaza, according to the New York Times

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

yeah but there's a nonzero chance Israel blows up the stage

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

American drones are participating with Israel in searching for prisoners inside Gaza, according to the New York Times

There's no way that the hostages have even seen sunlight in the past 4 weeks.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Malloc Voidstar posted:

lol at the alt angle

lmao that dude’s pose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Malloc Voidstar posted: