Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

claw game handjob posted:

lmao, I'm so glad I looked at the news, it's even sadder than it looks

They just repackaged the game before it could release and fail

Serephina posted:

I honestly have never felt so smug about being out of the loop; what unpleasant internet phenomenon have I missed out on?

Attack on Princess posted:

Is there a term for the opposite of clickbait? Cause that thumbnail is it.
Internet Comment Etiquette with Erik is a national treasure but his videos are very SA-esque in that they are about the internet making you stupid so they're all about incredibly awful and dumb stuff, hence the thumbnails

Cartoon Man posted:

Hello thread. My red Xbone controller that I’ve used with Steam for years is finally gettting weird and funky with button presses glitching. I’ve been looking for an excuse to replace it for a while now, any good recommendations? I’m not a fan of the PS5 controller, should I just get the latest Xbox controller? Is it worth splurging on their elite? (I don’t game competitively or anything.)

explosivo posted:

The newer Xbox series controllers are the best PC controllers you can buy imo. The elites have back paddles which some people love but I've always been fine without it. Probably up to you but the standard ones are very very good and supported by everything.

The 7th Guest posted:

so, as far as official console controllers go, i think the xbox series controller is actually pretty darn good, especially that circle d-pad for certain types of games, it's a very clever design. i think it replaced the xbox 360 controller as my favorite xbox controller since the DUKE. the sloping textured grips feel good to hold, the buttons feel right.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

What's the best dpad on a controller
Gonna agree that the Xbox series (not the Xbone or 360) controllers are good (if overpriced, wait for black friday and they'll probably be $40 again) and their clicky microswitched dpad is fantastic and it might be the best dpad on a controller if not for being demoted instead of promoted (as is the xbox controller design) and it is really quite loud.

However the newer 8bitdo controllers all have programmable back buttons, as others have mentioned, and those are great, and the Xbox series controller doesn't have them. The Xbox Elite controller does have back paddles, but it's way overpriced for the build quality and what you get.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I wish 8bitdo would make a version of the Pro 2 with hall effect sensors. I don't really like the shape of the ultimate.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Got a series 2 elite, and while I'm not impressed by the mushy and occasionally unreliable bumpers, I am in absolute love with the 8-directional d-pad and the circular head attachment for it. I'm a bit annoyed by the 'hardness' of the spring on the analog sticks too as releasing a stick from a full side position will have the stick push over the centre before getting back to it, so you push full right to change orientation, release because it's all how you wanted it, and your character suddenly faces left. :argh:

There are fixes online for the bumpers, ranging from simple compressed air/alcohol to full blown take it all apart and remove plastic bits, but I have yet to try anything. That said, the simple alcohol drip looks simple enough so I might try that one out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

IMO, there really should be a Gaming Hardware thread somewhere.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

As in everyone shut up about controllers in this thread already

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Controller chat just shouldn’t even exist anymore unless it’s for arcade sticks or whatever.

All 3 of the console manufacturers have reached “they’re fine/good” status and for everything else there’s 8bitdo.

EDIT: As a further point, I think the dudes banging on about “hall effect” or whatever else aren’t real or are just making things up now.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, I'd happily take this elsewhere

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Chas McGill posted:

I wish 8bitdo would make a version of the Pro 2 with hall effect sensors. I don't really like the shape of the ultimate.

i imagine a follow up to the pro2 might be just around the corner. 8bitdo really like iterating.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Bumhead posted:

All 3 of the console manufacturers have reached “they’re fine/good” status and for everything else there’s 8bitdo.
I mostly agree but people still have their opinions, but we'll never reconcile analogue-stick placement.

I feel objectively a weird thing about the Xbox controller is how clicky the dpad and buttons are. Also doesn't matter much until you're a dad trying to keep the home quiet at night lol.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
People might get annoyed by the repetitive controller chat, but IMO this is the place for it. Not only is It occasional enough of a topic to be unable to sustain a thread, the way questions here draw in people who otherwise wouldn't post about controllers adds more feedback and options for people.

Nobody owns ten controllers and likes all of them, but random people getting drawn in and posting the specific things they like about their specific controller is IMO very useful, since controllers aren't just about buying a good one, but also about buying one that works for the way you want to use it.

Maybe I'm wrong and a thread would work great. Part of the problem is that SH/SC already covers keyboards and mice, and IYG covers audio, so IDK if a "PC gaming accessories" thread would really draw in the best posters on the subjects.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 3, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

K8.0 posted:

People might get annoyed by the repetitive controller chat, but IMO this is the place for it. Not only is It occasional enough of a topic to be unable to sustain a thread, the way questions here draw in people who otherwise wouldn't post about controllers adds more feedback and options for people.
This is like saying "I like cats and if I derail the steam thread to talk about cats it will get more posts than a dedicated cat thread would, so I don't think I should have to take the cat derails to a cat thread"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Unless controller chat is actively drowning out and preventing game discussion I don't really see it as a problem. That said I skipped a couple pages here, so if it's causing any actual issues, please hop in the feedback thread and mention it so we all spot it!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Spending a lot of time in Talos Principle 2 exploring the city after the tutorial and god drat they must have had some kind of quota of references to reach. It kinda makes sense in the fiction, so I'm not too annoyed by it, but it veers into the very silly quite often.

The philosophical musings are as strong as ever.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Frogs are dudes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

mystes posted:

This is like saying "I like cats and if I derail the steam thread to talk about cats it will get more posts than a dedicated cat thread would, so I don't think I should have to take the cat derails to a cat thread"

I think it's more like saying "I need a gaming peripheral so I'll ask the Steam thread which is largely considered to be a general PC gaming thread their opinion and possibly have a small discussion about it".

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

Future Video GamesUK posted:

Unless controller chat is actively drowning out and preventing game discussion I don't really see it as a problem. That said I skipped a couple pages here, so if it's causing any actual issues, please hop in the feedback thread and mention it so we all spot it!

The real issue is there are too many good games this year (2023). Please fix this because I can't afford all of them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fake Name posted:

The real issue is there are too many good games this year (2023). Please fix this because I can't afford all of them.
Play some games from your backlog and wait for the new ones to go on sale next year?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

There have been pc gaming hardware threads before. They never get much traffic, and are eventually forgotten.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Future Video GamesUK posted:

Of all the de-rails this thread can and has gone down, controller crap is almost as on-topic as a derail can get :v:

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Bumhead posted:

Joy cons are dogshit.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

mystes posted:

Play some games from your backlog and wait for the new ones to go on sale next year?

OK fine youre right :mad:. Going to learn some DCS, finish BG3 and play some Caves of Qud before spending money I don't have.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I went with the series controller based on the feedback in this thread and I appreciate all the responses.

Grabbed the “stormcloud vapor” look because :okpos:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

I went with the series controller based on the feedback in this thread and I appreciate all the responses.

Grabbed the “stormcloud vapor” look because :okpos:

the one thing I'll say it has over most 3rd party controllers is that it has a functioning screenshot button (on windows 11, it doesn't do anything on windows 10, unless that changed recently (though steam input can probably bypass that limitation))

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Fake Name posted:

OK fine youre right :mad:. Going to learn some DCS, finish BG3 and play some Caves of Qud before spending money I don't have.

I hope you're playing the Steam version of DCS and not the standalone, because this is the Steam thread here and we don't take kindly to derails. :catstare:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what's the best gamepad for Flight Simulator

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

Any of the main ones will do fine, ones with extra buttons might be a bit better.

Of course you should really just begin the abrasion of your sanity and buy a HOTAS setup right away.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

You should only use a keyboard and mouse for FPS (flight pilot simulator) games

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

mystes posted:

You should only use a keyboard and mouse for FPS (flight pilot simulator) games

do you really need a mouse? Arrow keys should be enough

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

busalover posted:

Where can you see those changes?

SteamDB keeps neat logs of a lot of updates and under the hood info about any publicly visible title.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Orv posted:

Any of the main ones will do fine, ones with extra buttons might be a bit better.

Of course you should really just begin the abrasion of your sanity and buy a HOTAS setup right away.

I don't want to go that far, I'm just trying to not wear out my dance pad

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

FishMcCool posted:

I hope you're playing the Steam version of DCS and not the standalone, because this is the Steam thread here and we don't take kindly to derails. :catstare:

Uhhhh yeah I'm definitely playing the steam version and not the terrible awful bad (and more up to date) standalone version. Definitely.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Any reason not to go for Blasphemous 2 over 1? Never played 1 FWIW but I like the art and I'm a sucker for good soulsvanias.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You'll be even more lost in the story than usual, 2 directly follows up on 1's DLC.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Azran posted:

Any reason not to go for Blasphemous 2 over 1? Never played 1 FWIW but I like the art and I'm a sucker for good soulsvanias.

They're probably best played in order, going back to 1 from 2 might suck. Not only for the story, but 2 streamlines some stuff. That's not to say 1 is janky or anything. It's just slower and harder.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Azran posted:

For what it's worth, I haven't played Blasphemous 2 yet but my impression from other goons is that Blasphemous 1 leans much harder into the aesthetic and the sequel, by comparison, almost feels too reserved when it comes to the weird "Catholic Seville" iconography.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

For what it's worth, I haven't played Blasphemous 2 yet but my impression from other goons is that Blasphemous 1 leans much harder into the aesthetic and the sequel, by comparison, almost feels too reserved when it comes to the weird "Catholic Seville" iconography.

True: B2 is less delightfully weird, but it is a lot more fun to actually play

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

You'll be even more lost in the story than usual, 2 directly follows up on 1's DLC.

confirmed: T. Pentitent One immediately meets a lost woman and looks straight at her thighs

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

And, I tell you what, Blasphemous 1's aesthetic is wild

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Azran posted:

The games have a pretty different feel and pacing. 1 is slower and heavier both in gameplay and vibes. 2 is faster, more fantastical, and less relentlessly miserable. Those differences aren’t to everyone’s taste but either way it definitely isn’t obsoleted by 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUZazZKH-sU

Vampire Survivors is apparently getting an "Adventure Update" :thunk: