Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Whybird posted:

Little Britain was 100% conservative, the messaging of its sketches was lockstep with the right wing media's favourite talking points. Off the top of my head the ones I can think of were:
- disabled people are just faking it and lazy, and exploit their carers
- trans women are men in dresses
- homophobia doesn't exist and people who claim otherwise are just drama queens

but I'm sure there were plenty of others that were just as vile

Homophobic? Matt Lucas, major cast member, cocreator and writer is openly gay. I used to watch the show every week, and didn't pickup up on any of the supposed rightist moral lessons you claim, though I'm usually sensitive to chud bullshit.

It seemed pretty clear to me as a regular viewer then that the show's main (and escalating) concept of humor was to be as over the top and offensive as TV stations would still allow to be aired, i.e. "gross out" humor.

A sketch that offended anyone would have made the creators happy. Which I found funny for a while, then got bored with it. It was basically the same few jokes every episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

BrigadierSensible posted:

I don't know who Bill Engvall is. And whilst I know Jeff Foxworthy is an insane fundie Christian, (he did a "how well do you know your bible quotes" style show if I remember rightly).

But I never saw him as as conservative comedian(tm). Sure he doesn't swear, and even though he plays up how "southern" he is whilst ignoring the racism/homophobia/etc of the US south. All the "you might be a redneck if ..." stuff is silly wholesome apolitical observational jokey jokes.

As opposed to the racist ventriliquist, or the countless hacks yelling about "libruls" and "cancel culture" etc.

But I don't follow him too closely, so maybe he has an after dark special where he puts on the white robe.

Bill Engvall is wish.com jeff foxworthy who has "I'm stupid" signs with the tagline "here's your sign" after telling a joke about someone doing something silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMlJ5MClQJ0

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought it was an anti-astrology bit.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Some of those Here's your sign jokes did make me smile at least.

"I'm going to play a song from Harry potter"

"oh the movie?"

"No, the book"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Twibbit posted:

Some of those Here's your sign jokes did make me smile at least.

"I'm going to play a song from Harry potter"

"oh the movie?"

"No, the book"

I mean, the guy has made millions upon millions telling jokes. I would hope he gets a chuckle out of most people. He's a funny dude who just so happened to find a unique spin on Jeff Foxworthy's success to make his own career. The two even toured together for years, and he'd joke about it.

e: Bill also had a music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ZkdHImCuQ

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 3, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If we're gonna be derailing to talk about the Redneck Comedy Tour people I'm actually going to say that Ron White was the only one of those I actually liked. Looking him up now he's apparently somehow not dead.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Considering that from what little I dimly recall Achmed (the name of that specific character) is supposed to be taking the piss out of the Taliban in specific, maybe? It is still weird though, yes.

I have a friend who's an Egyptian national and he loves tagging me with Achmed memes; what our Arab / Mediterranean / Persian friends find funny is the idea that this is your average rear end in a top hat American's idea of what a Muslim's goal in life is. It's just part of the chest of tropes that the rest of the world has about Americans, such as we're all cheeseburger-gnawing, obese, paranoid, armed-to-the-teeth Christian-fanatic ivory tower world-hegemons. That kind of thing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Baron von Eevl posted:

If we're gonna be derailing to talk about the Redneck Comedy Tour people I'm actually going to say that Ron White was the only one of those I actually liked. Looking him up now he's apparently somehow not dead.

Ron White is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTGXSdg0hEY

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ron White is the only one out of that group who is actually funny.

5er posted:

It's just part of the chest of tropes that the rest of the world has about Americans, such as we're all cheeseburger-gnawing, obese, paranoid, armed-to-the-teeth Christian-fanatic ivory tower world-hegemons. That kind of thing.

To be fair, that's the entire south.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just to clarify my shock that Ron White isn't dead, he was a lot younger than he looked when he filmed that special and apparently he gave up drinking through "hypnosis and ayahuasca"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If there’s anyone I think Alex Jones is similar to comedian wise, it’s Sam Kinison rather than Bill Hicks

Baron von Eevl posted:

Just to clarify my shock that Ron White isn't dead, he was a lot younger than he looked when he filmed that special and apparently he gave up drinking through "hypnosis and ayahuasca"

Not at all how I thought that sentence would have ended

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
My issue with Ron White was he figured out his audience would be totally happy with him just telling the same like 5 stories over and over and that's what he did. I always thought it was weird the audience could like, speak along with his bits the same way they might sing along with a musician. I haven't looked him up in ages however, I hope maybe he's expanding his material a bit, or maybe he's been mixing it up all along and I just missed all the recordings where he told stories other than Tater Salad and the bunch.

e: or not, if it makes him money and he doesn't mind, fuckin go for it dude.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Rat Patrol posted:

he figured out his audience would be totally happy with him just telling the same like 5 stories over and over and that's what he did. I

if it makes him money and he doesn't mind, fuckin go for it dude.

More parallels to Alex Jones!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

5er posted:

American's idea of what a Muslim's goal in life is. It's just part of the chest of tropes that the rest of the world has about Americans, such as we're all cheeseburger-gnawing, obese, paranoid, armed-to-the-teeth Christian-fanatic ivory tower world-hegemons. That kind of thing.
That’s not fair. Some of us are not Christian.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BigBadSteve posted:

A sketch that offended anyone would have made the creators happy. Which I found funny for a while, then got bored with it. It was basically the same few jokes every episode.

Oooh... boring shows offend you? Owned :c00l:

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Uh so without linking to his actual videos, Alex is apparently going fully into Nazi anti-semite mode than normal. He recently had Nick Fuentes on and did not push back on Nick's anti-semitic raving, and Alex is now pushing Holocaust Denialism he's just asking questions about Holocaust casualty numbers.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Uh so without linking to his actual videos, Alex is apparently going fully into Nazi anti-semite mode than normal. He recently had Nick Fuentes on and did not push back on Nick's anti-semitic raving, and Alex is now pushing Holocaust Denialism he's just asking questions about Holocaust casualty numbers.

So it's a day that ends in "Y" again? Dude had Kanye "I like Nazis!" West on and didn't bat an eye.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

bird food bathtub posted:

So it's a day that ends in "Y" again? Dude had Kanye "I like Nazis!" West on and didn't bat an eye.

I never watched the Kanye interview, but my experience with that kind of thing is that Alex will bring on those types of people and just say stuff like "So you said some controversial things and your free speech is being interrupted right?" without really addressing what was said.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Turpitude II posted:

hm. this does not seem particularly friendly towards trans people, in my opinion. seems like it might be kind of bad actually!

SNL is loving trash so I can't say I'm too surprised

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BigBadSteve posted:

Homophobic? Matt Lucas, major cast member, cocreator and writer is openly gay.

Having never seen this show, I just wanted to point out that this in no way prevents a show from being homophobic.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

To be fair, he did bat an eye, but only because he couldn't believe he'd found someone crazier than himself.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Yeah Alex Jones was clearly somewhat panicking and trying to get Kanye to stop saying he loved Hitler, but failing because he couldn't so anything other than keep pretending it was a joke because his q lot of his audience is also a big fan of hitler

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

That interview also had Nick Fuentes, so I guess Alex really loves that guy.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Eeyo posted:

That interview also had Nick Fuentes, so I guess Alex really loves that guy.

He knows Fuentes brings eyes onto his stream and that means selling more weird powders (which, if you'll remember his court testimony, he "gets... from the Japanese").

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Turpitude II posted:

hm. this does not seem particularly friendly towards trans people, in my opinion. seems like it might be kind of bad actually!

If I had to guess, I would think that this is what lead directly to his "no jokes about trans folks" policy later in life, since this was 27 years ago.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Piell posted:

Yeah Alex Jones was clearly somewhat panicking and trying to get Kanye to stop saying he loved Hitler, but failing because he couldn't so anything other than keep pretending it was a joke because his q lot of his audience is also a big fan of hitler

Jones had an amazing attempt at a pivot which was like "Oh of course you're a designer and would really appreciate how slick those Hugo Boss uniforms were, one of the most iconic outfits of the 20th century"

And then Kanye clarifies, no, he means Hitler the guy, not the nazi outfits.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Right wing standup comedy just does NOT work.

It's just a cringefest. All punching down and angry. That's why there are exactly zero current famous right wing standup comics.

It works for the audience. Chuds cannot take heckling at all. Its a way to salvage a bad showing at open mic night.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

BigBadSteve posted:

Homophobic? Matt Lucas, major cast member, cocreator and writer is openly gay. I used to watch the show every week, and didn't pickup up on any of the supposed rightist moral lessons you claim, though I'm usually sensitive to chud bullshit.

So first off, being a member of a minority doesn't stop you from pulling the ladder up after you when you become rich and successful. In fact it's incredibly common for rich, white, successful gay men like Lucas to immediately start making GBS threads on the rest of the LGBT community once they get acceptance within mainstream society.

But also my point wasn't that the Daffydd Drake sketches were homophobic - it was that they were assimilationist. Daffydd is painted as ridiculous not for being gay but for expressing it openly and for bemoaning homophobia when in fact even his tiny Welsh village is really open-minded and accepting of him. The messaging behind the sketches is "the fight for gay rights is over and we've won, now stop making such a fuss and settle down because you are making us all look ridiculous", a message that the rich and successful (primarily white, monogamous, cisgender) members of the LGBT community have been pushing on their fellow queers since the 00's.

And, like, dude, if you can watch those "I'm a laaaaady" sketches and not pick up on how loving disgustingly terfy they were then I really don't know what to say. They were appalling at the time and that was two decades ago.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Tunicate posted:

Jones had an amazing attempt at a pivot which was like "Oh of course you're a designer and would really appreciate how slick those Hugo Boss uniforms were, one of the most iconic outfits of the 20th century"

And then Kanye clarifies, no, he means Hitler the guy, not the nazi outfits.

Oh yeah, Alex was trying so hard to give Kanye off-ramps and he took none of them.

I need to find the clip again because I forget exactly what or how it was said, but Kanye starts saying Laura Loomer should call in, and she does. On Kanye's cell phone.

Which prompts Alex to say something like, "How does she have your number!" Again, been a while since I saw the clip, but Alex sounded bewildered that Laura Loomer of all people had Kanye's phone number and he didn't.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

mojo1701a posted:

Oh yeah, Alex was trying so hard to give Kanye off-ramps and he took none of them.

I need to find the clip again because I forget exactly what or how it was said, but Kanye starts saying Laura Loomer should call in, and she does. On Kanye's cell phone.

Which prompts Alex to say something like, "How does she have your number!" Again, been a while since I saw the clip, but Alex sounded bewildered that Laura Loomer of all people had Kanye's phone number and he didn't.

tbf, I would be flabbergasted by anyone giving their phone number to laura loomer

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xakura posted:

tbf, I would be flabbergasted by anyone giving their phone number to laura loomer

Seriously why in the world would anyone want to spend time with laura loomer

I feel like there should be governmental regulations around how long a human can be legally exposed to laura loomer, like millisieverts but for loomer rads

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

rotinaj posted:

Seriously why in the world would anyone want to spend time with laura loomer

I feel like there should be governmental regulations around how long a human can be legally exposed to laura loomer, like millisieverts but for loomer rads

Cross the threshold, and the diagnosis is “you’ve been loomered, it’s not terminal but you’ll wish it was :(

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Alex has been exposed to Alex for so long he can carry and transmit Loomer but is largely immune to the negative effects himself.

Note: Alex is a serious disease itself, and infected persons should avoid interaction with the public until properly treated.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
So are we going to get that hbo documentary with the footage from the Texas courtroom or what?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Borscht posted:

So are we going to get that hbo documentary with the footage from the Texas courtroom or what?

I think they may be waiting for the other lawsuits. God only knows what insanity we’ll get now that Alex is truly hosed even beforehand.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I assume it’s because of the whole HBO/Max/WB/Discovery tangle and all that fuckery, plus the strike bringing everything to a stop.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Legal Eagle did a video on his bankruptcy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHAA9tV8M28

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I love that Jones' defense in bankruptcy court for why his debt should be dischargeable boils down to the following logic:

I behaved with such rampant, malicious disregard for the court in that case that I lost my case before malice could even be considered. Also that was a totally unfair trial and I wasn't allowed to present my side after I stubbornly refused to provide mandatory evidence the opposing side needed to present their side.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

plus the strike bringing everything to a stop.

Would it have an effect on unscripted productions? I thought reality tv was largely a product of the last strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I assume a) it's not unscripted, and b) narrator work for documentaries still counts as VA work in the eyes of SAG.