Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

GateOfD posted:

When Aura mentioned Himmel’s name, Frieren didn’t react much, but you can tell she’s pissed.

I liked this reddit riff on that moment:

Aura: "Himmel is already dead"

boss music starts

Aura: "That's weird, wonder why my music was delayed"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
This anime broke me. I read the manga even, and here I am tearing up during the amazing sakuga because of the wholesome teacher/student combos.

I also appreciate how they deviate from a lot of action stories where the heroes feel outmatched and have to go through some emotional journey to get the win. Fran and Stark up to the last possible moment were planning to run as the only reasonable strategy. Then when the fighting starts they switch gears immediately and realize their strength. Even the flashbacks were just to catch up the viewer. Stark sort of needed the reminder, but he was feeling the difference the whole time.

I guess there's precedent in, like, Goku at his very first tournament in Dragon Ball, but this is so refreshingly straight to the point without the hemming and hawing.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

show is so good, fern owns

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

I also appreciate how they deviate from a lot of action stories where the heroes feel outmatched and have to go through some emotional journey to get the win. Fran and Stark up to the last possible moment were planning to run as the only reasonable strategy. Then when the fighting starts they switch gears immediately and realize their strength. Even the flashbacks were just to catch up the viewer. Stark sort of needed the reminder, but he was feeling the difference the whole time.

The thing about Stark and Fern is that they both have incredibly warped senses of power (both their own and that of those around them) due to them being the apprentices of the strongest warrior/mage in living memory, beings who have literally transcended into legendary status due to their prowess. They're constantly comparing themselves to the biggest possible measuring stick and by doing so (as this episode shows) are seriously underestimating themselves. Even when their masters have acknowledged the ways in which their students surpass them (Stark's strength and Fern's speed), because of that warped perspective they view those things as their only strengths compared to others, despite the fact that no, they're both insanely talented in every other aspect of their "class," just not quite on the level of a hero of legend. It's super interesting and another really cool aspect of how this series is illustrating how society moves on and grows so rapidly in the era of relative peace brought about by the defeat of the demon king.

I love this show and these characters so much, y'all.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Radditz making up with goku

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

The thing about Stark and Fern is that they both have incredibly warped senses of power (both their own and that of those around them) due to them being the apprentices of the strongest warrior/mage in living memory, beings who have literally transcended into legendary status due to their prowess. They're constantly comparing themselves to the biggest possible measuring stick and by doing so (as this episode shows) are seriously underestimating themselves. Even when their masters have acknowledged the ways in which their students surpass them (Stark's strength and Fern's speed), because of that warped perspective they view those things as their only strengths compared to others, despite the fact that no, they're both insanely talented in every other aspect of their "class," just not quite on the level of a hero of legend. It's super interesting and another really cool aspect of how this series is illustrating how society moves on and grows so rapidly in the era of relative peace brought about by the defeat of the demon king.

I love this show and these characters so much, y'all.

I'd say that Stark is the more extreme case. Fern seems to recognize she's an above average mage with great casting speed. Sure, she underrates herself, but not on a level that's notable day-to-day.

Stark, meanwhile, thinks of himself as a cowardly hoax who can barely keep up on a good day, unaware that his master hit him that one time on reflex because Stark's raw combat power was the scariest thing that he'd ever seen. This episode, it was demonstrated in him steeling his nerves to accept a mutual kill... and then only getting chip damage as he one-shot the demon.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Stark blasting a fissure into a mesa with nothing but an axe: "uwu I'm so weak and useless"

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Stark blasting a fissure into a mesa with nothing but an axe: "uwu I'm so weak and useless"

I think frieren was all set to write him off until she examined that fissure.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That music when Fern was speedrushing Lügner was sublime. I watched that scene 4 times now. And I love the fact that we see this battle completely from the demons perspective.

I've been following this manga now since the thread first appeared which was 3 years ago and I am incredibly impressed by how much this anime does it justice.
I love this world, I love how calm everything is and I love the way it's animated.

Of course there are some really great characters still coming up in the future.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 4, 2023

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Some cool fanart from the Takagi-san author (might have to click to see the full image):

https://x.com/udon0531/status/1720616371623497793?s=20

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say that Stark is the more extreme case. Fern seems to recognize she's an above average mage with great casting speed. Sure, she underrates herself, but not on a level that's notable day-to-day.

Stark, meanwhile, thinks of himself as a cowardly hoax who can barely keep up on a good day, unaware that his master hit him that one time on reflex because Stark's raw combat power was the scariest thing that he'd ever seen. This episode, it was demonstrated in him steeling his nerves to accept a mutual kill... and then only getting chip damage as he one-shot the demon.

Should probably keep up the spoiler tags since the episode is only a day old but I do love at the end that they animated Linnie starting to run away but Stark's swing comes in way to fast for her to do anything but get cut in half

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

The junk collector posted:

Should probably keep up the spoiler tags since the episode is only a day old but I do love at the end that they animated Linnie starting to run away but Stark's swing comes in way to fast for her to do anything but get cut in half

Yeah, I loved that bit of animation too. She actually did a very fast step back instead of the usual anime trope of "my weapon is stuck and therefore I'm completely stuck too" but the reach of Stark's axe and the instantaneous strike the moment it activated was just so fast (and so awesome looking!).

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

chiasaur11 posted:

Hm, I guess it was him tanking it? Cause he seemed to be taking battle wounds normally.
When I read it, I i interpreted it as him giving it all on attack. But her attack didn’t slash thru because she wasn’t committed to the dual death and held back for defense (which didn’t help at all)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

GateOfD posted:

Hm, I guess it was him tanking it? Cause he seemed to be taking battle wounds normally.

He seems to be pretty unbothered by them and recovers very fast, which make sense if the "battle wounds" are result of attacks just barely breaking through his skin to draw some blood, instead of doing what spikes through arm, or axe to the temple are supposed to do to a normal human body. :v:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

This is also an anime, a form of media where bleeding isn't necessarily an indication of taking a serious wound. Doubly so in a series where people are explicitly superhuman - and Stark cut a mesa in half with his axe. At the end Stark got up and basically said there wasn't any real impact behind all the attacks he took and cleaved her in twain, so I have to assume he's been hurt but that he'll walk away from taking an axe blow to his torso mostly being bruised.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

GateOfD posted:

When Aura mentioned Himmel’s name, Frieren didn’t react much, but you can tell she’s pissed.
Oh, when I got to that part in the manga, I thought "That's it, bitch, you gon die nasty, now."

But then the anime came along and when the moment happened I was all "Is it me or did the room just get 20 degrees colder? A century from now, all they're going to find is a little sign somewhere on the battlefield that reads 'This is where a really stupid person pissed off the wrong elf.' Not even a name, because they'll know which elf, and won't care which idiot it was."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Agronox posted:

Some cool fanart from the Takagi-san author (might have to click to see the full image):

https://x.com/udon0531/status/1720616371623497793?s=20

I'm sure they'll do something for the inevitable anthology

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

GateOfD posted:

When I read it, I i interpreted it as him giving it all on attack. But her attack didn’t slash thru because she wasn’t committed to the dual death and held back for defense (which didn’t help at all)

I thought it was just that she has perfect skill which was reflected in her dominance in the battle but it was just that, a reflection of movements. She lacked the strength/power the fighters she mirrored had.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Doodles posted:

A century from now, all they're going to find is a little sign somewhere on the battlefield that reads 'This is where a really stupid person pissed off the wrong elf.' Not even a name, because they'll know which elf, and won't care which idiot it was."

Surrounded by a flower garden

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
A good episode here, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how they animate the next episode and what sound effects/music they go with. If they threw money and talent at some stuff then I can see it being super memorable, and I think there's a lot of different approaches that could be taken. The animation, sound, and music of Fern's fight have me getting my hopes up for something really special.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Stark rushing forward with Fern’s light show in the background was for a few secs. on studio ghibli level

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Tabletops posted:

I thought it was just that she has perfect skill which was reflected in her dominance in the battle but it was just that, a reflection of movements. She lacked the strength/power the fighters she mirrored had.

This. She is a paper tiger. It kept Stark on the defensive because that's how he engaged with Eisen; a single hit would have cut him in half. Stark, meanwhile, is all bite and no bark.

They were both fighting their opposites. Fern isn't about being cunning or hesitating to observe or gloating at her opponent, she just unleashes hell faster and better than anyone.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
To put it in more geeky terms, that fight was basically Taskmaster against the Hulk.
Perfectly copying movements and tactics only takes you so far, when your oponent can benchpress a truck and doesn't have to rely on those.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Thinking about it, Eisen and Stark's method of fighting is kind of brilliant. They're brave enough to get up their targets face, but their fear makes them careful and seem weaker than they actually are. Keeps the attention on them and makes their opponents underestimate them. Realistic-feeling tank strats.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Wonder if since Fern learned the “ordinary offensive magic (laced with anti-magic demon)” it just turns demons to dust very easily, but against humans the same blast just knocks them out.

It be neat to have a scenario where a not so strong demon takes someone hostage like the one Himmel killed in the flashback.

And Fern just blasts both the hostage and the demon with a mild blast, and the demon just disintegrates, and the hostage just gets knocked back into a tree and is a little stunned.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

GateOfD posted:

Wonder if since Fern learned the “ordinary offensive magic (laced with anti-magic demon)” it just turns demons to dust very easily, but against humans the same blast just knocks them out.

It be neat to have a scenario where a not so strong demon takes someone hostage like the one Himmel killed in the flashback.

And Fern just blasts both the hostage and the demon with a mild blast, and the demon just disintegrates, and the hostage just gets knocked back into a tree and is a little stunned.

It also punches holes in rocks so I don't think it quiet works like that.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Well yea if you want to since that was the goal, but I think Fern can adjust the mana to make it strong enough to kill a demon, but not kill a human.

Like when Frieren is training Fern on how to properly shield. If she messes up, doubt Frieren shot her with a killing shot, versus the charge up on that demon general she New Game+ on

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Imagine a nuclear weapon that destroys a spirit. The spirit would be like "Wow, you've specialized that nuclear weapon to kill spirits!".

Everyone else is still getting hit with a nuke.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
So it’s like if a Venusaur is taking Pikachu hostage.
And Fern is a Charizard who uses Fireblast on both of them.

The Venusaur would take Super Effective damage and lose all of his HP
The pikachu would still take damage, but just normal damage and only suffer mild injuries.
You can replace the Pikachu with a rock type who’s weak to grass but resistant to fire if you want to if it’s another human mage who also has some innate mana resistance.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
People saying there's no emotion in this anime while Stark was in panicked freakout mode for 80% of this episode.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
My thoughts when Fern just started slinging beams at high speed: "Get danmaku'd nerd"

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

The junk collector posted:

It also punches holes in rocks so I don't think it quiet works like that.

You can't prove that rock wasn't a demon

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
It's an instant death magic that humanity has just developed magic to defend against and so has become the standard. That Frieren modified it to be even more effective against demons doesn't mean it wouldn't just kill a person if they got hit with it without defenses up. It's not the standard because it's bad, it's the standard because it's incredibly good at its job, killing things.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Fern doesn't even seem to be aware that it is especially effective against demons, it's straight up just her ordinary offensive magic go-to.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

THF13 posted:

Fern doesn't even seem to be aware that it is especially effective against demons, it's straight up just her ordinary offensive magic go-to.

Which also says a little bit about Frieren that she both re-engineered her regular offensive magic so that it's especially good at turbo murdering demons and that she apparently never felt like it was worth mentioning that fact. I'm getting the sense she doesn't like demons very much.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
For all we know, that is just how the default Ordinary Offensive Magic is taught in schools nowadays. We don't know if Lügner has fought any skilled mages recently.
According to him, Frieren was specifically involved in the research, development and dissemination of that magic. She really doesn't like demons.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
She created thousands of copies of the demon-killing spell, then left them laying around all over the place because she possesses a particular sense of right and wrong.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

cant cook creole bream posted:

Frieren was specifically involved in the research, development and dissemination of that magic. She really doesn't like demons.

Bram Stoker wrote Dracula to disseminate how to kill Vampires and we now have zero or nearly zero vampires :hmmyes:

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Bram Stoker wrote Dracula to disseminate how to kill Vampires and we now have zero or nearly zero vampires :hmmyes:

As we all know from the non-fiction anime JoJo's Bizarre Adventure the last vampire died in the 80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

VideoWitch posted:

As we all know from the non-fiction anime JoJo's Bizarre Adventure the last vampire died in the 80s

Then what did they fight in the great Castle War of 1999?