Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Jimong5 posted:

I have a second mobile charger for my Y and a clipper creek for the Bolt and they both have been solid. The Clipper Creek is going on 6 years now, serviced my Volt since 2017 and Bolt since 2020. It's nice to just plug them in and not deal with another app for things. Also there's the fun trend of "Smart" devices getting EOL'd after 5 years even though they'd be perfectly functional as a dumb device.

Yeah, I hadn't realized the Tesla thing had WiFi in it now. That's not going to outlast the car.

Clipper Creek makes nice looking stuff but boy howdy is it expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Jymmybob posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CJGPHL9 but I haven't installed it yet. Supposed to integrate nicely with the charger but I had to wait for the charger installation to be inspected so hopefully I'll do it soon.

I have this thing. It’s pretty rad, although I wish it had more sensors. It’s also turns your breaker box into a horrifying nest of wires but that’s fine.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I bought a rando chinese one because it had a thick gauge extra long cable I need since I have street parking.

Didn't even last a year before the contactor failed on it.

I suppose if I ever replace it (I'm just using a 110v charger and extension cord now) I'd just get a more reliable brand and maybe get an extension cable instead of looking specifically for one with a 50ft one.

I saw this first line just as I clicked "Submit Reply" and went back so I could caution whoever posted it that you may be literally playing with fire. Then I read the second line, LOL.

Now I'm quoting it so it's not buried at the end of the page.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I never had any problems with my cheap no-name L2 EVSE I bought on Amazon, FWIW, besides the Bolt getting mad at it for some reason.

Elaborate?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

cruft posted:

I saw this first line just as I clicked "Submit Reply" and went back so I could caution whoever posted it that you may be literally playing with fire. Then I read the second line, LOL.

Now I'm quoting it so it's not buried at the end of the page.

I am aware of the limitations of extension cords and current. I did the math and got one with an appropriate gauge for the max possible output and distance to ensure it does not overheat.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I am aware of the limitations of extension cords and current. I did the math and got one with an appropriate gauge for the max possible output and distance to ensure it does not overheat.

Yeah, you're good. I was more like "oh no somebody's using one of those cheapo chinese things from Amazon, it's going to melt". Then I went back and saw that it had already melted.

A cautionary tale!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Don’t cheap out on something that can destroy your car or burn down your home

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

My Zappi one is doing great.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I still haven’t used my ChargePoint yet but soon!

Got the Volvo accessories ordered (cargo mat, dog barrier) but still no luck finding non oem wheels for cheaper winter rims :sigh:

E: never mind it looks like they are showing up now on the local tire shop! Awesome, like 1/4 the cost of the oems lmao

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

Just open the box of failures, and attach the plug cord directly to the charging cord. It will bypass whatever controllers that failed. That's probably 5 minutes with a screwdriver.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Used the cheapo charger fine with the Leaf for years, got the Bolt, had to fiddle with it to make the Bolt charge, then it just stopped working, Bolt would just sit there beeping at me to unplug it, still worked fine on the Leaf.

Figured I was pretty set on this "EV" thing and bought a Grizzle-E, with the intent to permanently install it, instead of plugging it in to a welding extension cord (I haven't done this yet, lol)

I think one of the data pins is worn on the J-1772 handle dealy on the cheapo charger, meant to repair it and turn it into a high capacity travel charger, but Amazon sent the wrong thing and :effort: so that's another project I haven't worked on. I really liked the cheapo one because it had variable current settings via RFID chip, so I'd bump it up from 24A to 30A when I wanted to charge quicker, and I knew I'd only be charging for a couple hours. (30A circuit).

In terms of EVSEs, we have ClipperCreeks at work, they hold up to the abuse of charging 3-4 cars a day, every day, assholes leaving the cords on the ground, etc. God knows facilities ain't fixing that poo poo in any sort of timely manner, so I'd know if they were breaking down.

Grizzle-E's are also really nice, big sturdy housing, I'm a little disappointed that they wouldn't warranty KiaSoulEnthusiasts' cable, but maybe the newer molded plugs hold up better, I have a molded plug and it's held up great so far. I think it's a better EVSE for home use than the CC, just because you can adjust the current setting, I use mine at 24A, but it's nice to know that I can set it all the way up to 48A if I install an appropriate circuit in the future. Current settings are bia dip switch on the control board instead of via app, which I prefer.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nitrox posted:

Just open the box of failures, and attach the plug cord directly to the charging cord. It will bypass whatever controllers that failed. That's probably 5 minutes with a screwdriver.

Lol, or get a couple jumper cables and clip them from the bucket on the pole straight to the cable. It's one weird trick utilities HATE!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve been using the travel EVSE that came with my car for nearly two years now

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That's all I have ATM, I want a hardwired one at 48 I wonder if I can do it with a load balancer like the evonia one

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

come play evonia my lord

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

come play evonia my lord

You won't last 6 seconds charging your car!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elviscat posted:

You won't last 6 seconds charging your car!

lol. Exactly what popped into my terrible brain.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh "Emporia" my bad

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I was going to say that I have had a good overall experience with my Siemens versicharger but then I saw they are over $1k now. Holy hell, I bought it in 2018 when it was $460.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'll keep recommending the Emporia Level 2 EVSE because it's 48 amp and can be either plugged in or hardwired, has the wifi and decent app and costs $400.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
One thing that I can't get over and as far as I can tell a thing with tons of WiFi chargers is they set amps with an app and not a physical selector? Seems kind of dangerous but extremely common and big part of the reason I wanted a display on the device.

Also in researching chargers, I know there were some weird bespoke chargers from luxury brands like Porsche and Bentley, no doubt Rolls-Royce will launch their own insanely expensive thing, but I was not mentally prepared for this:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Emporia is good and cheap and has neat features, Clipper Creek is industrial/public-park grade stuff that'll cost you but lasts, I went with Wallbox which seemed to split the difference.

Importantly the Wallbox sports dynamic charge adjustment in a way that's more flexible than Emporia which is only really designed for solar. You can also configure most stuff via board settings (screwdriver), Bluetooth, local WiFi, or cloud.

Emporia has frequent sales and combo deals so keep an eye out as black Friday looms.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Three Olives posted:

One thing that I can't get over and as far as I can tell a thing with tons of WiFi chargers is they set amps with an app and not a physical selector? Seems kind of dangerous but extremely common and big part of the reason I wanted a display on the device.

Also in researching chargers, I know there were some weird bespoke chargers from luxury brands like Porsche and Bentley, no doubt Rolls-Royce will launch their own insanely expensive thing, but I was not mentally prepared for this:

Gotta charge your F-150 Lightning somehow.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I got the Grizzl-e Smart 2.0 and haven't had any issues with it. Shows how long and how man kW were pushed into my car which was the main thing I wanted a 'smart' charger for.

It also has physical switches to set the amps (16, 24, 32, 40 or 48). I have it set to 32, but if I ever get a panel upgrade (100 service right now) I'll probably bump it up.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Ford missing out on a major cross-sell opportunity with the Ford F-150 Lightning DeWalt Edition.

The extended range battery will cost 3x the base MSRP and die within 12 months.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Three Olives posted:

I would buy a Ryobi green charger in a millisecond.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FISHMANPET posted:

all of the tastelessness and brand team sports of the DeWalt charger with the added broke boy baggage of Ryobi

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Well, gently caress it, ordered the Emporia. Looks like I can upgrade it to support load management and even though we have 200 amp service, we are thinking about putting in an induction stove and hypothetically we could want to run our air conditioner, stove and dryer all at once and I am too dumb to figure out for sure that we have enough capacity, even though I am pretty certain we do, but electrical is nonsense to me.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Chronojam posted:

Emporia is good and cheap and has neat features, Clipper Creek is industrial/public-park grade stuff that'll cost you but lasts, I went with Wallbox which seemed to split the difference.

Importantly the Wallbox sports dynamic charge adjustment in a way that's more flexible than Emporia which is only really designed for solar. You can also configure most stuff via board settings (screwdriver), Bluetooth, local WiFi, or cloud.

Emporia has frequent sales and combo deals so keep an eye out as black Friday looms.

I'm mostly just interested because my apartment has a 100A panel with a few open spots but probably needs a load balancer if I wanna draw 48A

FISHMANPET posted:

same

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Well, gently caress it, ordered the Emporia. Looks like I can upgrade it to support load management and even though we have 200 amp service, we are thinking about putting in an induction stove and hypothetically we could want to run our air conditioner, stove and dryer all at once and I am too dumb to figure out for sure that we have enough capacity, even though I am pretty certain we do, but electrical is nonsense to me.

Hire an electrician to do load calcs for you, dummy.

You should be fine to run the A/C, stove, dryer, and charge your car, but that depends largely on how big your A/C unit is.

You've implied you live in a big old house that you've renovated nicely, I'll assume it's 3,500 sqft. I'll also assume you have a bigass 10kW A/C unit, 20 small appliance circuits, electric dryer, hot water, the usual bevy of kitchen appliances, and heat is supplied by gas or oil.

With those assumptions, you're pretty close to the limit on your service, specifically it's telling me you need a 215 Amp service I, personally, wouldn't worry about that, a 200A service is just fine, if it DOES worry you, just wait until you're done cooking dinner to plug your car in.

If your house is more like 2500sqft, and your A/C is more like 6kW, then you're golden, and you have some room to spare.

But yeah, an electrician should be able to come by and give you some peace of mind for like $300, or like 10 grand if you need to upgrade to a 320A service.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Hire an electrician to do load calcs for you, dummy.

You should be fine to run the A/C, stove, dryer, and charge your car, but that depends largely on how big your A/C unit is.

You've implied you live in a big old house that you've renovated nicely, I'll assume it's 3,500 sqft. I'll also assume you have a bigass 10kW A/C unit, 20 small appliance circuits, electric dryer, hot water, the usual bevy of kitchen appliances, and heat is supplied by gas or oil.

With those assumptions, you're pretty close to the limit on your service, specifically it's telling me you need a 215 Amp service I, personally, wouldn't worry about that, a 200A service is just fine, if it DOES worry you, just wait until you're done cooking dinner to plug your car in.

If your house is more like 2500sqft, and your A/C is more like 6kW, then you're golden, and you have some room to spare.

But yeah, an electrician should be able to come by and give you some peace of mind for like $300, or like 10 grand if you need to upgrade to a 320A service.

1,300 sqft, we live in a streetcar suburb where small houses are still incredibly desirable because of their access to the city. Electric dryer, gas heat and water. Also there are two of us, plus two dogs and two cats so we have more than enough space.

Three Olives posted:

OK, I'm having an EV charger installed in my house on Monday and am a paranoid weirdo...

We have a 200 Amp panel on a 1,300 sqft house, AC can run a lot during the summer (Texas), electric dryer, hopefully putting in an induction range next year and want to put in a 40 amps (50 breaker) charger. Can be easily be lowered in power draw if needed.

Breaker Box looks like this:

code:
30	30
15	20
20	20
20	20
20	20
20	20
20	20
20	20
20	20
At least one of the breakers is for an extra line not hooked up to anything.

I looked at our usage for the year and our absolute highest was 7.4 kwh over 1 hour.

My gut tells me from all the research I have done that 40amps should be nothing for our house our size without running a Bitcoin farm but I can't seem to understand all the conversions involved.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 4, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Three Olives posted:

1,300 sqft, we live in a streetcar suburb where small houses are still incredibly desirable because of their access to the city. Electric dryer, gas heat and water. Also there are two of us, plus two dogs and two cats so we have more than enough space.

Sigh.

Assuming the biggest baddest Bosch induction range, 48A EVSE, and nothing else big like a hot tub or heated Jacuzzi, plus a bunch of other very conservative assumptions.

Fwiw, your house is very similar to mine, except mine has a larger square footage, and I have 6kW of emergency heat in my heatpimp, but only a 24A EVSE, and I have a 200A service and it's fine.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Elviscat posted:

I have 6kW of emergency heat in my heatpimp,
:haw:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Turn every correctly spelled word into its homonym, but can't catch that one, thanks autoclaves.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm mostly just interested because my apartment has a 100A panel with a few open spots but probably needs a load balancer if I wanna draw 48A

There are cheap options for this (a manual circuit switch), costlier options (load shed automated switch), and expensive but very nice options (Wallbox setup to pull every free amp)

Three Olives posted:

Something important is that the Emporia v2 ones use the cloud for balancing logic and iirc are focused mostly on using excess solar, not on trying to balance limited baseline power.

Notably this means they can't react quick enough to balance two EVSE units if that's important to you although you'd be able to monitor them via the app etc. since they can't directly network.

It's still a good charger though! And if you're using LED lighting you'll be casually pulling a lot less amps than you'd think.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 4, 2023

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Three Olives posted:

So just a guess, but 6 kW for the stove, 6 kW for the AC, 6 kW for the dryer, and 12 kW for the EV equals 30 kW, out of 48 kW total available through 200A service. You should be fine running all of those devices together and you would still have another 18,000w of breathing room for other devices.

You can generally just add up the breakers of your 240v devices and if it is less than the main breaker you can easily handle running them all at once. At my place we have two AC units, a 5 kW central and a 4 kW mini-split, a 6 kW electric dryer, and a 12 kW EV charger. The sum of the breaker amps is 60+30+25+20 or 135 amps * 240v = 32400w peak *.8 = 25920w sustained. We have a sense energy monitor and our recorded peak was around 38000w with basically everything running at once, both ACs, the dryer, washer, EV, microwave, something around 1.2 kW worth of lighting, TVs, computers, etc. That was with 6 people in the house, it would be really hard to pull that much power with just two people.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Sigh.

Assuming the biggest baddest Bosch induction range, 48A EVSE, and nothing else big like a hot tub or heated Jacuzzi, plus a bunch of other very conservative assumptions.

Fwiw, your house is very similar to mine, except mine has a larger square footage, and I have 6kW of emergency heat in my heatpimp, but only a 24A EVSE, and I have a 200A service and it's fine.

Wow, Elviscat goes the extra mile!

Your house is also similar to mine, we have no gas, but HVAC and water heater are heat pumps. We live in a place that gets snow,. 200W main breaker is enough for us.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Heh.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Hatepimp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005