Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

if we had a functional Fourth Estate they'd be going apeshit about the government just hiding numbers it deems inconvenient. lol

I'd love to peep into the alternate universe where the media is endlessly haranguing Trump for concealing the life expectancy figures, but no universe where covid exists in 2020 is one where Biden lost the election, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
friend is hooking up with somebody

friend made it clear to the somebody that they are immunocompromised and also taking care of someone immunocompromised so if they’re getting nookie they have to isolate and test beforehand. somebody agrees to it.

somebody forgot to mention they had houseguests a couple days prior who flew over to visit from Florida and are an antivax couple

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 21:40 on Nov 3, 2023

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Somebody is not getting laid ever again.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Rochallor posted:

I'd love to peep into the alternate universe where the media is endlessly haranguing Trump for concealing the life expectancy figures, but no universe where covid exists in 2020 is one where Biden lost the election, so

i'm sure there are plenty of universes where biden just straight-up loving died when he very obviously caught it and then disappeared for a few weeks during the primaries

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
If there is one thing the UK COVID inquiry laid bare, it is that the social murder was surprisingly explicit.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/nov/03/covid-tories-old-people-pensions-health-social-care-ageing-population posted:

During Covid, callous Tories knew this about old people: they’re very expensive

Let “the bodies pile high in their thousands”, Boris Johnson supposedly said. Not once but often, the Covid inquiry has heard that he was for killing off elderly people, “obsessed with older people accepting their fate”. According to the invaluable diary of the chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance, our prime minister [ed. Johnson] was saying “that’s nature’s way of dealing with old people” as he complained “we are destroying the economy for people who will die anyway soon”.

It wasn’t just him. The chief whip, Mark Spencer, allegedly said: “I think we should let the old people get it and protect the others”, to which Johnson replied: “A lot of my backbenchers agree with that, and I must say I agree with them.” So this was not one irritable remark, but a theme aired many times around tables where people didn’t get up and leave the room: many are still in government, presumably including Rishi Sunak, the eat-out-to-help-spread-Covid chancellor at the time.
(..)

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Speaking of other universes, I like the one where everyone was locked down until *checks date* 4 months ago when covid ended and now we can be free again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/travel/comments/150urou/has_the_end_of_covid_caused_a_huge_travel_boom/

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Speaking of other universes, I like the one where everyone was locked down until *checks date* 4 months ago when covid ended and now we can be free again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/travel/comments/150urou/has_the_end_of_covid_caused_a_huge_travel_boom/

Just wait and see, it will turn out they are still locked down now after all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why are COVID vaccines being discontinued in my area, but flu vaccines aren't? (self.answers)

quote:

I've been trying to get my COVID booster but due to severe allergies I can only have Novavax or Sanofi. They were doing Sanofi at the pharmacy (my clinic is only doing Pfizer) but they said I needed to get it at the clinic because I have allergies, and to tell the clinic if they could order the vial of Sanofi to the clinic from the pharmacy. Called up my clinic and they said they won't allocate the Sanofi vaccine there, and also that they're ending the vaccination program on November 14th. I'm really disappointed.

I don't understand, they're doing flu vaccines all throughout winter so this makes no sense. I have Ehlers Danlos and POTS, a heart condition. I had both doses of Astrazenica two years ago before they discontinued it here in the UK.

quote:

Sorry everyone is giving you crap answers here. I can't answer why they're not available in the UK, but if you're looking for a place that still has these vaccines, you can try a UK-specific subreddit, like r/unitedkingdom (there are probably others, more specific ones).

In my country covid vaccination is very much still active, because we're having another wave right now.

quote:

You’ll be fine

quote:

Flu ones are there from before. Covid ones got an emergency use authorization and were the ones which killed the pandemic

quote:

From the UK.

So, flu vaccine is well researched, multiple types are offered and many more people are eligible for it than are eligible for Covid. Plus, it’s available privately for about ten pounds. Most places that offer private flu shots also have a way of giving it you free if you are eligible. Before Covid it was unusual to set up a venue to deliver vaccinations, everyone went to a pharmacy or GP surgery.

The Covid jab is new, they are still playing with the parameters to minimise risk from the jab (remember the first time around they abruptly decided to not use AZ on under 40s, that was because problems had happened) and balance that against the risk from Covid and the effect on hospital admission rates etc. Last year they set the age threshold to get it at fifty, this year they’ve changed it to 65. That’s a dramatic decrease in the number people needing to be jabbed.

How they roll out delivery of Covid vaccine varies dramatically by area, but a lot of places are setting up temporary venues where both vaccines can be given and you can make an appointment or drop in. With the smaller numbers eligible for Covid vaccine this year and then starting quite early, it wouldn’t surprise me if these pop up locations do mostly shut up shop in December.

So two different infrastructures, one of which will stop when they’ve delivered a high percentage of vaccines and appointments aren’t being booked.

Sounds like your actual issue is that by going through the normal route they have no mechanism for giving an alternative vaccine if you can’t receive the one on offer. Someone offered a solution and it didn’t work, so even the people organising it don’t know what to do. I have two suggestions to offer, one is to contact your GP, I’d probably both make an appointment to see the GP and I’d write to the practice manager as they hopefully know the structure they are working in and can point you in the right direction. The other is to find out who is responsible for vaccine delivery in your area, here it’s “Healthy NameOfTown” and contact them.

Sorry that’s not a straightforward solution, but it’s some leads.

:siren: This is what Brits actually believe. :siren:

quote:

quote:

What are you severely allergic to in the Pfizer vax vs Novavax / Sanofi?

I'm curious because I did not have a great experience with Pfizer.

PEG

quote:

They're one and the same, and there's not an election coming up to focus you on something else

quote:

They're not needed anymore.

quote:

Because the flu vaccine is actually a vaccine, weakened flu virus, where covid vaccine is a mrna designed to change your DNA. Fun fact, they changed the definition of vaccine in the dictionary to make mrna modifiers fit the definition of vaccine. With that being said the only time I ever get the flu is when I get the flu vaccine.

I hadn’t heard the dictionary thing before, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a kernel of truth to it, because people who write dictionaries get technical details wrong all the time. The OED definition of “siphon” for decades said that they were driven by atmospheric pressure.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Hmm... I don't think I will be reading Anders Tegnell's "I did nothing wrong, except a few small oopsies" book.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-11-state-epidemiologist-sweden-covid-strategy.html posted:

Former state epidemiologist says Sweden's COVID strategy misunderstood
(..)
"I also thought that people actually could handle this themselves," he notes in his book and adds that he believes his faith was justified.
(..)
At the start of the pandemic, the epidemiologist thought it would be easier to care for the elderly in Sweden than elsewhere in Europe, because they were all gathered together in one place, but in his book he admits he "was completely wrong," as the homes lacked both the resources and skills needed.
(..)
"Many countries in Asia have been using masks in public places for decades to limit the spread of the virus during the flu season. Had they been doing it wrong all these years?," Tegnell ponders.

"It wasn't my role to judge," he continues. "But in all the research, I couldn't find any evidence that it made a difference for the better."
(..)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

Hmm... I don't think I will be reading Anders Tegnell's "I did nothing wrong, except a few small oopsies" book.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/873264183281889281

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
We are all looking for... etc. etc.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/11/01/health/vaccine-misinformation-survey/index.html posted:

Health misinformation and lack of confidence in vaccines continue to grow, years after the Covid-19 pandemic, survey shows
(..)
The percentage of Americans who believe that vaccines are approved for use in the US are safe dropped 6 percentage points since April 2021 to 71%, while the share of adults who don’t think the approved vaccines are safe nearly doubled in the same time frame – increasing from 9% to 16%.

“There are warning signs in these data that we ignore at our peril,” said Kathleen Hall Jamieson, director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center and director of the survey, in a news release. “Growing numbers now distrust health-protecting, life-saving vaccines.”

Jamieson told CNN in an email that she was surprised by the data.

“Instead of plateauing, levels of misinformation increased as the pandemic was winding down,” she said, noting that, “For a worrisome part of the population, the rhetoric surrounding COVID vaccination increased acceptance of misinformation and decreased confidence in vaccines.”

For example, the share of people who thought “increased vaccines are why so many kids have autism these days,” grew from 10% in April 2021 to 16% last month.
(..)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If anything, it’s a wonder that there isn’t a wider gulf between public confidence in April 2021 and public confidence now.

We’re coming up on three years since the vaccines were shipped and two years since I wrote this (in Cold Omicron December):

Platystemon posted:

Liberals have been doing the vaccines dirty this whole time by making them out to be something that they are not.

They said that breakthroughs were unheard of when we saw them even in the trials—as we have with every vaccine ever produced.

They said that Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine was just as good as the others, basing this argument on “it was tried against variants” while simultaneously claiming that variants weren’t going to lower Pfizer/Moderna efficacy at all.

They said that breakthroughs may happen, but that protection from severe disease was absolute.

They said that the vaccines stopped transmission cold when the evidence was maybe sixty percent reduction, in limited studies of healthcare workers and their families

They said that we would get herd immunity.

They said that the vaccines were only ever intended to help against severe disease—pay no attention to any other claims we have made.

They said that efficacy did not wane over the months and no boosters would be needed.

They said that, in the totally ridiculous doomer scenario where variant‐specific formulations were warranted, such new formulations could be manufactured en mass and approved in a matter of weeks.

The facts are that the vaccines do a lot to reduce the worst outcomes, and that boosters help a lot, but it’s not hard to see why the public is skeptical when statements reported by supposedly credible people are at best varnished truths.

Perhaps the experts should have stuck to the known facts and not gotten caught in an elaborate series of comforting lies.

They have paved the road to hell far more effectively than have the openly antivaxx.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

If anything, it’s a wonder that there isn’t a wider gulf between public confidence in April 2021 and public confidence now.

We’re coming up on three years since the vaccines were shipped and two years since I wrote this (in Cold Omicron December):

Tbf, there are other results. Look at that 21%:

Further results can be found or found linked here:
https://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/vaccine-confidence-falls-as-belief-in-health-misinformation-grows/
or if you - like me - are not allowed to see the top-secret US survey results, they can also be found here:
https://archive.li/rmtXN

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

Look at that 21%:

smh I can’t believe that seventy‐nine percent of yanks disagree with the UK gov’t’s science‐based position on this issue. 😤

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

Tbf, there are other results. Look at that 21%:

Further results can be found or found linked here:
https://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/vaccine-confidence-falls-as-belief-in-health-misinformation-grows/
or if you - like me - are not allowed to see the top-secret US survey results, they can also be found here:
https://archive.li/rmtXN

You show this to a joe biden voter and they'll "doesn't look like anything to me" it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/esyudkowsky/status/1720273230609707376

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

lol, he had to explain it was a joke.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

lol, he had to explain it was a joke.

Yudkowsky is absolutely the man who would believe that.

quote:

haha im just curious for laughs haha

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

Yudkowsky is absolutely the man who would believe that.

Don't know him :shrug:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pingui posted:

you should probably keep it that way

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Add another thing to the list of things COVID could be affecting in the human body.

https://twitter.com/vipintukur/status/1720112522303545832

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Pyrolocutus posted:

Add another thing to the list of things COVID could be affecting in the human body.

https://twitter.com/vipintukur/status/1720112522303545832

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pingui posted:

He created a cult of rationality that inspired Sam Bankman Fried. He created an AI research institute that's never done any research but gotten millions in grants. He wrote a piece of Harry Potter fanfiction that is longer than War and Peace.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DickParasite posted:

Harry Potter fanfiction that is longer than War and Peace.

wtf this checks out

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I got breakfast this morning at a place that I feel is pretty safe because the air flow inside is pretty great and they have a lot of outdoor seating too. Anyway, some college kid was in there coughing up a storm with real obvious "This isn't me accidentally inhaling some water or food, I am clearly infected with something and now you will be too and as you can see, I don't care" coughs.

After she finishes her food, she puts on a (lovely, cloth) mask and wears it while walking out to the parking lot.

Like.... :psyduck:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

found out some family friends that went to a haunted house halloween event all got covid, even their dog, lol, lmao

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

maxwellhill posted:

i saw that follow up the research study test2treat wants to pay people to join was from the Scripps institute and noped out because famous MKUltra/bioweapon front

i'll just take the pax, thanks

well there goes your chance for superpowers

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Tzen posted:

found out some family friends that went to a haunted house halloween event all got covid, even their dog, lol, lmao

don't gently caress wit the wild ghost

poor doggo ):

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Weekly Australia covid data update: LOL, NOPE

They changed the reporting from weekly to monthly so if anyone wants to know how wave #8 is currently shaking out you're poo poo out of luck, maybe try again next week?? :shrug:

That Twitter account I follow managed to dig up some data on the spread in aged care homes, that's about all they got this week. poo poo's accelerating:

https://nitter.net/dbRaevn/status/1720380334800506882#m

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Meanwhile, three years ago:

https://nypost.com/2020/11/04/late-state-legislative-candidate-david-andahl-wins-election/

Covid stays winning!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They changed the reporting from weekly to monthly so if anyone wants to know how wave #8 is currently shaking out you're poo poo out of luck, maybe try again next week?? :shrug:

In a week they’ll just announce that they’re doing yearly updates now.

This time next year: “We’re transitioning to biannual updates.”

Two years from now: “We’re on a decadal schedule.”

A century from now, you’ll be dead, so they win.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dang they found someone worse than Mark Zuckerberg.

https://twitter.com/PabloTorre/status/1702017999987720640

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's wastewater dashboard updated its Variant portion:

https://doh.wa.gov/data-and-statist...oard#WasteWater

Under the title on the right select "Variants" then on the left-hand side select which county and sewershed you'd like to look at. The variant list on the right-hand side is so long you'll have to hit the down arrow to see it all!

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
OK weirdly the ones I checked first (because I live on the eastern side of WA) were Spokane and Whitman, and both are recent through mid-October.

Many of the other ones like King aren't? It looks like they stop in early-to-mid August, which is still a fair amount earlier than when the contract renewal talks went down in mid Sept. I don't know what to make of that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Haven't posted here in a while but new not-covid just dropped

https://twitter.com/PhilippineStar/status/1720574229173997732?t=HG-HH7flIFZqDpdi4hod6Q&s=19

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Pingui posted:

There’s this show I enjoyed called Nathan For You, you might have seen it, it’s a weird comedian going around and fixing businesses in really dumb ways. I think the main idea is that when a guy shows up with a camera crew and has you sign papers and stuff to be on his show, he wouldn’t have all that stuff if he was an idiot or was loving with you, so maybe he’s right and what the struggling frozen yogurt shop needs is a poo poo flavor

I mention that to talk about this guy’s line about finding no evidence in his research that masks can do much about the flu. We learned that they can, by accident, by getting lots of people to wear lovely masks incorrectly for a different reason. That was enough to slow the flu down drastically. So when this guy’s saying masks might not even exist for all the good they do according to his research, I’m just keenly aware that we’re deep in the territory of “well he’s a formerly important guy who wrote a book, and we’re doing this interview with him, so he must be pretty smart.”

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

you should probably keep it that way

Why?

DickParasite posted:

He created a cult of rationality that inspired Sam Bankman Fried. He created an AI research institute that's never done any research but gotten millions in grants. He wrote a piece of Harry Potter fanfiction that is longer than War and Peace.

Ohh... uhm...

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Son has had runny nose, cough, low grade fever for 2 days.

Suddenly last night I get this weird metallic taste in my mouth I can’t shake but eventually it kinda goes away and I go to sleep. My wife says nothing has changed for her being in the same room and all, so don’t think anything environmental.

Today my morning coffee has a long bitter aftertaste, but I’m on high alert and low sleep so maybe I just made a lovely cup.

My COVID tests with May expiration for me and the boy negative. I’m sure even if it is COVID we’ll probably never test positive anyways.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Real Mean Queen posted:

There’s this show I enjoyed called Nathan For You, you might have seen it, it’s a weird comedian going around and fixing businesses in really dumb ways. I think the main idea is that when a guy shows up with a camera crew and has you sign papers and stuff to be on his show, he wouldn’t have all that stuff if he was an idiot or was loving with you, so maybe he’s right and what the struggling frozen yogurt shop needs is a poo poo flavor

I mention that to talk about this guy’s line about finding no evidence in his research that masks can do much about the flu. We learned that they can, by accident, by getting lots of people to wear lovely masks incorrectly for a different reason. That was enough to slow the flu down drastically. So when this guy’s saying masks might not even exist for all the good they do according to his research, I’m just keenly aware that we’re deep in the territory of “well he’s a formerly important guy who wrote a book, and we’re doing this interview with him, so he must be pretty smart.”

There is this weird thing going on, where basic logic is being cast aside, because it hasn't been ~scientifically proven~. Idk if it is just the general alienation, if it is politics-brain, increased complexity and esotericity of research or some offshoot of Freakonomics, but its been a battle throughout the pandemic. I wish it was possible to incorporate presumptive defaults into statistics, because too often studies are simply underpowered to a statistical significant degree, which is invariably noted as "no effect", rather than a likely effect that should be studied more rigorously and in depth.

As a recent example see the Paxlovid study for non-hospitalized veterans post 30 days, we know COVID fucks with cardiovascular health for this specific group and even at the tail-end we can see the positive effects, but the confidence intervals are too great and so the takeaway becomes "it doesn't work". But the biological mechanisms dictates that it works, the data shows a decrease on average even if the confidence intervals extend slightly across no effect and early studies demonstrate that they are looking at the tail-end of the event distribution - in aggregate it logically follows that it loving works.

It is immensely frustrating and completely detrimental to a scientific process imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention

UGH, I can't believe people keep getting this wrong! It's not a flu-like because it isn't turn-based; it's a flu-lite.