Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Megazver posted:

One protip that baffled me for a bit: some items you need to, say, upgrade your tools from Copper to Bronze you just need to buy from the vendors. Sharpening Stone for tools, Salt for... stuff, etc.

Sharpening stones in particular aren't a bad thing to grab one or two of even if you don't immediately need them if you have the cash, because you'll hit some points where you suddenly need more than the shop sells in one day and it can be annoying waiting on them for tool upgrades.

Mad Wack posted:

fyi there is a bug where you can't clear the dusty status from your machines, just pick them up and put them back down after cleaning as a workaround

Yeah it's really annoying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Elsie or is there a redder neck out there?

Elsie yeah. It's worth putting up with listening to her dad Cooper on his long aimlessly rants. Mabel has some good recipes as well. Really just befriend em all and let God sort em out.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
The fake southern accents that half the characters have are super grating and annoying. It's refreshing when someone sounds normal.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

The fake southern accents that half the characters have are super grating and annoying. It's refreshing when someone sounds normal.

The devs are Chinese, so just consider it penance for all the time Western games had someone do a terrible Asian accent.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Pen and Krystal make it all worth it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm a sucker for Catoris janky rear end New York accent

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

The devs are Chinese, so just consider it penance for all the time Western games had someone do a terrible Asian accent.

That's fair, Japan's been giving back with English in anime for some time. China deserves its due as well.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Suck it, Yan

Khanstant posted:

HELLOW!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm having fun but the decision to make furnaces take quartz is just brutal. Spent all day running around trying to find something that drops them. I got two of the four I need from I know not where. The in game guide is telling me I need to go kill doom chickens or some such but not only are they stamina hogs to kill just starting out, but quartz isn't even a guaranteed drop. I haven't gotten one yet (and I know the two I have didn't come from the chickens since you can't even equip a weapon before level 4 and I had both quartz before hitting that milestone).

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Quartz simply drops from gravel stones about 50% of the time or so. Just as bloodstone is from hard rocks

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GotLag posted:

Suck it, Yan

:hai::hf::hai:

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

LLSix posted:

I'm having fun but the decision to make furnaces take quartz is just brutal. Spent all day running around trying to find something that drops them. I got two of the four I need from I know not where. The in game guide is telling me I need to go kill doom chickens or some such but not only are they stamina hogs to kill just starting out, but quartz isn't even a guaranteed drop. I haven't gotten one yet (and I know the two I have didn't come from the chickens since you can't even equip a weapon before level 4 and I had both quartz before hitting that milestone).

Should be from Gravel rocks or if you're desperate you can buy them from Amirah.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Quartz simply drops from gravel stones about 50% of the time or so. Just as bloodstone is from hard rocks

Thank you.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

FrickenMoron posted:

First time I played I tried to break a hard rock with my basic pickaxe, couldn't, and then seemingly completely deleted those rocks from my awareness. I spent in-game weeks buying up every bloodstone Amirah would sell me and cursing their scarcity before something clicked and I remembered those rocks existed :downs:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
A very counter intuitive early game thing is that Amirah has a quest to give her clay for a couple weeks, after which she'll go "oh I got told making a builder get me clay was not an actual commission, so sorry about that you can stop." After which she... starts selling clay at her shop.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Jumped into the full game mostly blind, since I only did early access for a little bit, and it's nice to see my habit from Portia of Never Stop Producing is still effective. I think my only complaint is that some perk effects feel kind of ineffective since so many are just things like "10% chance for X". I am still very much enjoying it though

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Sloober posted:

Jumped into the full game mostly blind, since I only did early access for a little bit, and it's nice to see my habit from Portia of Never Stop Producing is still effective. I think my only complaint is that some perk effects feel kind of ineffective since so many are just things like "10% chance for X". I am still very much enjoying it though

Yeah, like half the perks are completely underwhelming but at least you aren't forced to max them out before moving onto the next in the tree.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

For the skill points, the skill for "salvaging scrap" is different from the skill for "logging." Does anyone know which one chopping wood scrap up to get it counts as?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Khanstant posted:

She seems to dip into Fran Drescher occasionally out of nowhere and I'm not sure if it's bad or fantastic.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

LLSix posted:

For the skill points, the skill for "salvaging scrap" is different from the skill for "logging." Does anyone know which one chopping wood scrap up to get it counts as?

Anything where you gain scrap should be salvaging, logging is chopping actual trees like deadwood.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

LLSix posted:

I just ran an experiment by taking the "Recycling Knowledge" skill and watching my stamina bar. The junk piles inside the mine\scrap yard that you hit with a hammer definitely count as "salvage" for that skill.

FrickenMoron posted:

Anything where you gain scrap should be salvaging, logging is chopping actual trees like deadwood.

Thanks!

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I picked up this game after it was recommended to me as a good fix for my life simulator addiction. Never played a My Times... Series game, what are some good things to know as a beginner without spoiling anything?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Omnicarus posted:

I picked up this game after it was recommended to me as a good fix for my life simulator addiction. Never played a My Times... Series game, what are some good things to know as a beginner without spoiling anything?

Try to do your commission every day if you can, its your main way to gain social rep and money. You gain more/better machines by researching them at the lab in town. Upgrading your tools is priority 1, pickhammers more important than the axe.

Edit: Forgot to mention this but the Refiner is probably the most important machine early on after you get a grinder and processor. It lets you upgrade the rarities of your tools/machines and improves them massively. You also can upgrade anything you turn in for commissions and gain more money.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 4, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Omnicarus posted:

Eat at the Blue Moon bar every day. Get the special. It’s the cheapest way to convert money to stamina and it gives you an exp boost usually.

It’s not obvious, but you can eat there twice a day in addition to whatever random food you find.

Putting furniture in your house boosts your stats. Stamina is the only stat I care about, if you’re having trouble with combat, get the others.

Speaking of combat, you can fight higher level monsters, technically. But level has a huge impact on combat, so it’s usually better to wait until you are at no more than a few levels below (being higher level than what you’re fighting is better).

Anyone know if attack value influences how efficient tool use like it did in Portia?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Omnicarus posted:

-Try to always burn through all your stam every day, particularly in the early goings. You can always use more materials, so break those rocks/salvage!
-Try to max out and finish commissions each day if you can, as this gets you money and workshop points. You start out only able to take one commission per day but this will go up.
-Talk to everybody you pass at least once a day, as talking gives you social xp you can start putting into skills after you reach level 5. Rush the top-right social skill in the tree that gives you one extra commission per day: this is a HUGE potential boost to income. You do not need to max out a skill to unlock the next one on the tree, just put one point into it.
-Once you get the quest to bring a data disk to Qi, do so immediately and then always have some research cooking in the background. Grab the processor and grinding table first, then the refiner, then just grab what sounds interesting. You can give additional disks to Qi to speed up a specific research but cost-wise it's rarely worth it until the late game and you shouldn't do it unless you're main-quest blocked by it requiring you to have a specific machine.
-Once you can make them try to have 3-4 each of the furnace, grinding table, and processor built. These are your primary workhorse machines and having multiples makes it easy to do several jobs in parallel.
-There's an early quest to make some lifts for Rocky, which unlocks your first salvage ruin. Rush the first 2-3 levels until you start to see both copper and tin ore (level 4, I think?) and then grab as much of that as possible and turn it into bronze bars. These are the first early game capacity check and you will very quickly start getting missions that expect you to be swimming in bronze. Also once you have the bars your very first order of business should be upgrading your axe and pickaxe the bronze versions at your work table.
-Salvage ruins also have vending machines at the beginning of each floor that sell heat-stroke medication, which is ~300 gols a pop for 100 stam regen. This is very handy and while you shouldn't go broke on it, it's always nice to have a couple of these in your inventory. You can also eat at the Blue Moon to the left of the register to restore stam as well.
-Speaking of inventory, you can buy more inventory space by clicking the last inventory icon in your bag with the "+" in it. Once you have enough wood you should also start making chests and dumping things into them regularly. All storage is linked so you can eventually get to the point where after a mining/hunting run you just open up a chest, then rapidly cycle through all of them while spamming "autofill" to dump out your inventory. Machines can also pull from chests on your property so you don't have to be directly holding materials to use them.

And most importantly: do not sweat efficiency/speed/get overwhelmed by a ton of blue dots on your map because the game loves side-quest spam. There's very little actual time pressure in the game and you can take as long as you want to finish most quests and commissions. Most of the systems in the game feed really well into one another and it will all eventually click as you start to get in a daily rhythm at which point you will rapidly speed up.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

-Speaking of inventory, you can buy more inventory space by clicking the last inventory icon in your bag with the "+" in it. Once you have enough wood you should also start making chests and dumping things into them regularly. All storage is linked so you can eventually get to the point where after a mining/hunting run you just open up a chest, then rapidly cycle through all of them while spamming "autofill" to dump out your inventory. Machines can also pull from chests on your property so you don't have to be directly holding materials to use them.

To be clear, I think everything pulls from chests in your shop, with the possible exception of gifts you directly give someone. I've certainly turned in quest requirements, made artifacts, and started research while all of the relevant materials and data discs were in a chest back on my land.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

skeleton warrior posted:

To be clear, I think everything pulls from chests in your shop, with the possible exception of gifts you directly give someone. I've certainly turned in quest requirements, made artifacts, and started research while all of the relevant materials and data discs were in a chest back on my land.

Yeah, gifts you have to have in your inventory unfortunately. Same with bait when sand fishing.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Also you don't need to go thru all your chests and click auto fill, just pressing it on one will dump your whole inventory into the correct chests

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh also one other thing I forgot: make a couple recyclers and and Always Be Recycling™. You get recyclable scraps from the piles around your workshop, the bits of scrap up on the hill by your workshop near the salvage shop, and in the salvage yard.

queeb posted:

Also you don't need to go thru all your chests and click auto fill, just pressing it on one will dump your whole inventory into the correct chests

Hmm weird, is that a setting or something you can toggle because it's distinctly not the case for me: I have to cycle through all my chests spamming it. :shrug:

skeleton warrior posted:

Gifts, bait, and I think data disks for research need to be directly in your bag but otherwise yes like 90% of things pull from chest inventory automatically.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sydin posted:

Hmm weird, is that a setting or something you can toggle because it's distinctly not the case for me: I have to cycle through all my chests spamming it. :shrug:

Are you using the sort button or the sort all button on the right? The sort all button on the right deposits to all chests, any items matching items already in the chests if they're not on the hotbar.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's weird that Cooper and Mabel don't sit together in the temple. And poor Pebbles is resigned to sitting in the naughty bench way in the back lol.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I'm at a point where I'm starting to need steel, but no way to get the raw materials for it. The salvage ruins only provide copper and tin (up to level 11 and don't see a way further down), and I'm currently relying on iron scrap recycling. Am I missing a way of going further down into the ruins, or is it locked behind the story? (Just gave Qi's buddy an inspection machine thinger).

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Radiation Cow posted:

I'm at a point where I'm starting to need steel, but no way to get the raw materials for it. The salvage ruins only provide copper and tin (up to level 11 and don't see a way further down), and I'm currently relying on iron scrap recycling. Am I missing a way of going further down into the ruins, or is it locked behind the story? (Just gave Qi's buddy an inspection machine thinger).

Nah, you can't get iron ore steel until you can cross the shonash canyon bridge. Iron scrap is actually the best way to get steel imo because it saves the iron ore for the other materials. If you need more scrap theres like 3 hypersleep chambers spawning every day and the big iron bus that all will drop iron scrap.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Panfilo posted:

It's weird that Cooper and Mabel don't sit together in the temple. And poor Pebbles is resigned to sitting in the naughty bench way in the back lol.

If you were married to Cooper, you'd want some weekly time away from the dude.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Rynyin posted:

You can also steal from Yan's workshop (next to the tailor). Mi-An Actually gives you permission to take her jerky in one of the random chats
I don't know what happens if you get caught like with Higgins in Portia

When were you doing this stealing? I haven't been able to do that.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Speedrunning Portia to get ready for Sandrock and I changed my mind, they should keep the 7 round men but maybe excise all the pointless kids or something.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You can take group photos with your mount now, and there are multiple poses

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Omnicarus posted:

There's just the two, and I recommend playing Portia first if you can. I've seen it as low as ~7 bucks. It'll be hard to go backwards to that after Sandrock.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Set to beat Yan in the first month :toot:

Also a tip: be sure to mine the rock/sand in combat missions for some free resources since stamina doesn't decrease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Just started Sandrock yesterday, and I'm already digging all the QoL improvements from Portia. My goal is to just play through organically, but is there anything like Portia's "Build all five Dee-Dees" achievement that is missable (and not labelled as such) that I should keep in mind?