Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Books On Tape posted:

I love breaking RPGs as much as anyone but this SO2 is a bit ridiculous. At least so far it's essentially the same as adding gameshark functionality built into the game. Does any of the OP stuff you can do early on like this last the whole game or will the difficulty catch up eventually?

I mean I pulled a Marvel Sword from a Goodie Box and went to try to fight one of the new raid enemies and got absolutely bodied so the new stuff at least seems to try to be trying to fight broken with broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

YggiDee posted:

I'm genuinely torn over here, like "do I see how all my favorite dudes have updated in the two decades since I've played this, or do I pick all the guys I never used before"

this is where im at on opera, i don't even know which other characters are choices after so long

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

FireWorksWell posted:

I thought the current portraits were the best out of the 3 choices easily but I never played the originals so I'd probably feel differently.

I'm level 33 and I haven't explored the island after Harley at all yet, this game's got its hooks in deep. I'm playing Rena and I'm trying to avoid any big spoilers, but is there anything I should keep in mind regarding her exclusive recruit?

No. At a certain point he'll just offer to join the party. You can't miss him.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Thanks!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hubris.height posted:

ashton or opera

Opera. Maybe Ernest is worth using this time too :v:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

FireWorksWell posted:

I thought the current portraits were the best out of the 3 choices easily but I never played the originals so I'd probably feel differently.

I'm level 33 and I haven't explored the island after Harley at all yet, this game's got its hooks in deep. I'm playing Rena and I'm trying to avoid any big spoilers, but is there anything I should keep in mind regarding her exclusive recruit?

chaos sword
chaos sword
chaos sword

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Well it's really easy to get Mythril in SO2R early now, just get the Blacksmithing Super Specialty to level 10 and a challenge hands you 3. No real need to mess around with RNG methods now. Pickpocketing seems not nearly worth it with how much stuff the game gives you.

Also if you press RT on the improve skill screen, it'll show you what you need to unlock a Super Specialty, or how many more levels in a specialty it needs to go up a level. Very useful.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

hubris.height posted:

ashton or opera

Ashton is way funnier, and you need him for one of Precis's best moves and Precis owns.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like how my brain so vehemently opposes gambling mechanics that i cant bring myself to use the goodie boxes in Star Ocean 2

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Barudak posted:

I like how my brain so vehemently opposes gambling mechanics that i cant bring myself to use the goodie boxes in Star Ocean 2

it's fine, i got a sword of marvels from a jack in the box.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Can't wait to find out that Noel is somehow mechanically the best character this time

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For the item codex you also need to get crafting failures from having too low a skill, which makes Noel the designated monkey arriving so late.

Having arrived at Lacuer, the tournament there cuts off a lot of sidequests. Would I be right in thinking the main game is really short, you just spend most of the playtime loving around with Item Creation?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 4, 2023

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

hubris.height posted:

ashton or opera
why_not_both.jpg

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I would never use any other party members

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Gyoru posted:

why_not_both.jpg

Hacked the game?
I wonder what would happen if you got a paired ending between them.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How are you supposed to beat this rapey ape fellow on Hard Mode?

Don't use 'rapey' like this. Gross.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Barudak posted:

I like that the Star Ocean remake has all 3 character portrait styles available so I can reconfirm with myself while the PSP era clean look is probably a net positive for artists in many regards I want sharp angles and finely detailed greebles on my anime.

what was a net positive about the psp designs. they're cleaner and simpler but, not in a way that looks good. they're too flat and unexpressive and the shading is just ugly, they're designs that would maybe be easier to animate and you might be able to give some life there but the base designs as shown in-game were not a great execution of that look

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So is SO2 a really obtusely designed game or something. I literally know nothing about it but the way people are talking about all these mechanics sounds really confusing as an outsider lol.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a tri-ace game so it's something that looks like a normal rpg for five seconds and then you dig into any of its systems and you can instantly bust it open by toying around with them too hard, star ocean just happens to be tri-ace's most concentrated series for that design philosophy and 2 does it the way most people like

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

what was a net positive about the psp designs. they're cleaner and simpler but, not in a way that looks good. they're too flat and unexpressive and the shading is just ugly

Reducing workload by reducing complexity and, arguably, quality expectations

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So is SO2 a really obtusely designed game or something. I literally know nothing about it but the way people are talking about all these mechanics sounds really confusing as an outsider lol.

Interacting with a lot of the systems beyond "equip gear" will lead you to being extremely powerful. Theres a ton of difficult to discern the value systems when you start, but enough of them are filled with something that can lead to you getting ahead of the difficulty curve* while giving you so much opportunity to experiment you'll nearly assuredly do it even while blindly flailing about.

*The SOR version ads some new optional bosses who exist to be an actual challenge if you engage with said systems.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Barudak posted:

Reducing workload by reducing complexity and, arguably, quality expectations

again though like. tales does the exact same look for in-game portraits and it looks way better there, their default poses are more dynamic, more expressive. and i dont think what an artist wants is expectations to draw worse things that are less pleasant to look at, unless it's a project they do not care about and are ready to just get over with as soon as possible, in which case uh, not a fun project to work on in the first place probably

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For the item codex you also need to get crafting failures from having too low a skill, which makes Noel the designated monkey arriving so late.

Having arrived at Lacuer, the tournament there cuts off a lot of sidequests. Would I be right in thinking the main game is really short, you just spend most of the playtime loving around with Item Creation?

If you're just beelining the story, it's not really a super long game, especially if you know what you're doing. It was much longer in the original version, but the instant fast travel removing TONS of walking around and backtracking, the UI being much cleaner and faster(like being able to enter/leave PA mode without leaving town), and the enemies being visible and dodgeable instead of just random encounters you have to fight wipes out probably half the playtime compared to the PS1 version.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The core game is very straightforward and easy to understand, but there's lots of side systems like item crafting or pickpocketing that are weird and obtuse but can snap the game open if you really dig into them and exploit them. Figuring out how to break the game over your knee is just as fun as the actual game itself for a lot of people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SO2 isnt really obtuse you can get through the game just doing normal RPG stuff, theres just a bunch of random side systems that are weirdly complicated and very badly balanced

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Most of it seems to be "how to get the ultimate weapon as early as possible by abusing the dumb crafting system."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Clarste posted:

Most of it seems to be "how to get the ultimate weapon as early as possible by abusing the dumb crafting system."

To be strictly accurate, it's "how to get the ultimate weapon as early as possible by knowing how to get a seemingly crappy weapon from an unflagged event at a town right after a plot event there, then getting 2 mithrils super early by save scumming the ESP skill(which gives you random items when you level it up and has no other function), then combining those two mithrils with the aforementioned crappy weapon". It's basically the perfect showcase of multiple obtuse systems working in concert to let you break the game early. You can totally get the ultimate weapon legitimately much later, but if you know what you're doing you can sequence break like hell and it's fun.

The other most common "break the game" trick is restarting until you get Nimble Fingers on your protagonist to get a bonus to pickpocketing, grinding out the huge amount of money to get the thief glove to allow pickpocketing ASAP(this takes basically no time or effort at all in the remake because it throws money at you via challenges), pickpocketing a goodie box from an NPC on the first continent, and save scumming opening it until it gives you an extremely powerful weapon before you're done with the beginning part of the game.

The funny part is that even if you do all the goofy break the game poo poo, the game's Universe difficulty can still hand you your rear end quite easily.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 4, 2023

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I got the bandit glove in so2. What's the cool poo poo I should be stealing?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Yeah, I'm really enjoying that for Universe, you pretty much have to engage with the different systems to not get smoked. I'm not doing the completely broken stuff but am definitely customizing and whatnot way earlier than I would normally.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I turned on Universe and I'm atill winning every fight in like two hits, I take it that changes the further in you get?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Could someone spoiler me a list of recommended levels for the dungeons? While I am breaking the game on hard mode, I still get my arse handed to me by venturing off the beaten path.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So is it normal in SO2 in the forest of child kidnapping to die instantly to unavoidable wizard beams? Unless I am moving horizontally the exact instant it casts I just die and I can't do anything about it. I've restarted this battle at least 4 times and I can kill the casters pretty easily but theres too many of them and I just get hit with a beam mid attack.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

No Dignity posted:

I turned on Universe and I'm atill winning every fight in like two hits, I take it that changes the further in you get?

Universe is extremely rocket taggy. You can chain stun and kill stuff quite easily and that remains true for most of the playthrough if you're keeping up with your gear upgrades, but if you gently caress up and get hit by anything equal to or above your level you will generally get vaporized. The AI is also really, really bad at surviving until you get access to good gear to put on them because they're not good at the "dodging attacks" thing.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

No Dignity posted:

no idea but I've been on universe since the start and the only real challenge comes if you get broken from a bad dodge so far

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Overbite posted:

So is it normal in SO2 in the forest of child kidnapping to die instantly to unavoidable wizard beams? Unless I am moving horizontally the exact instant it casts I just die and I can't do anything about it. I've restarted this battle at least 4 times and I can kill the casters pretty easily but theres too many of them and I just get hit with a beam mid attack.

Yeah, that happened to me too. I just had to be laser focused on their casting and whey I say the spell color of that spell just stay moving.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Gyoru posted:

why_not_both.jpg

Is this legit or what? Have they changed the recruitment options/limits?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I'll spoil this just in case for new people going into SO2R, but I've got a quick end game question- is it known if the event to make the final boss harder is still in the game or if it's clearly marked? I remember never beating the game as a kid because of it but don't really remember the context for how it happened.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Spiggy posted:

I'll spoil this just in case for new people going into SO2R, but I've got a quick end game question- is it known if the event to make the final boss harder is still in the game or if it's clearly marked? I remember never beating the game as a kid because of it but don't really remember the context for how it happened.

The trigger is now a postgame thing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

Is this legit or what? Have they changed the recruitment options/limits?

Based on my playthrough it's some kind of mod or file tinkering, since I tried this and the Ashton event disappeared if I got Opera and the Opera event never appeared if I got Ashton.

There might be some new requirements or something maybe, or a NG+ thing?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Overbite posted:

If you're on Rena's squad: Have Rena cast Silence immediately. If you're on Claude's squad: Have Celine (or Claude if he has it I guess, I just know that Celine has it for certain) use the Crafting specialty with Silver to get Silver Rings, which half Light damage. Also turn off Training. Also Sacrificial Doll accessories will half all elemental damage, so if you have one of those laying around you can equip it too. Enemy mages in this game are absolute bastards.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Spiggy posted:

The original trigger was to see a Private Action in Clik, and you had to go into PA mode the first time you enter the city because otherwise the plot immediately takes over and you don't have a chance to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

DrManiac posted:

I got the bandit glove in so2. What's the cool poo poo I should be stealing?

Note: This list only goes through the first continent (Arlia/Salva/Krosse/Kurik/Marze/Harley) to help beginning thieves prioritize. I'm not doing the whole game lmao

Must-haves:
Sprite's Bracelet - This right here is the reason you get pickpocketing ASAP. Enter a PA in Kurik and listen to the lady with the unique portrait (!!!) prophesying doom and gloom for the town. Then steal from her. Wearing it (any character is fine) will cause you to randomly gain items as you go, just like the Survival skill now does. It's also a unique item, and this is the only time you can grab one.
Goodie Box: An old man in Marze has this one, no PA needed. You will probably need to savescum, though.) You can get these through Art reasonably easily, so up to you if you want to grab this one. It does come up as a must-steal fairly often, though.
Magic Gumdrop: More for completionism than anything else, since the only consistent way of getting it is in the bonus dungeon... or at least that was the case in the PS1 version. A pink-haired girl in Krosse's town square has it.

QoL/poo poo you're getting ahead of the curve:
Orihalcon: Snag this one off the dog in Krosse's square.
Rainbow Diamond/Earring of the Winds: Elmyra (the lovey-dovey newlywed lady) in Arlia
Magic Cross: the pink-haired girl in Arlia's church
Keen Kitchen Knife: The first house you can enter in Salva has a lady cooking dinner for her son; steal it off her. It's less necessary now that item creation success chance is so high but you'll want it anyway for when you're cooking the really rare ingredients.
Princess Ring: It's a nice early-game MP boost for your casters. Grab it off Princess Rozaria in Kross Castle.
The innkeeper in Salva and some thugs in Harley's bar have forged items you can steal; you may want to do this if you don't want to make them yourself with Forgery. But if you're ok with stealing, you're probably ok with that too.
Ring of Happiness/Ring of Sadness: Pair these for useful effects! A couple of npcs have Ring of Sadness: Eleanor in Harley (the bedridden little girl) is the easiest steal, I think. The Ring of Happiness is owned by one of the two people staying in Herile's inn.
Faerie Tear from the elder in Marze

Leraika fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 5, 2023