Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Diet Crack posted:

Atleast Wilson told Johnson to go gently caress himself re: Nam

He was also the PM for about the only progressive Home Secretary we've ever had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Red gimp suit and get back out there imho

They seek him here. They seek him there. Those police seek him everywhere. Is he in Heaven? Or is he in Hell? That damned, illusive gimpernel.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

He was also the PM for about the only progressive Home Secretary we've ever had

Diet Crack posted:

Atleast Wilson told Johnson to go gently caress himself re: Nam

And this was enough for a coop to start forming and the secret services to bug his office.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

keep punching joe posted:

You know what they call Gordon Brown in Montreal?

Le Gordon Brown.

Metric system?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

TACD posted:

Is a gimp defined by the suit?
No, you are gimp in or out of the suit. You define the suit, the suit does not define you.

Is a naked gimp still a gimp?
Yes, see above

Conversely, does anybody wearing the suit inevitably become a gimp?
Yes, you were always a gimp the suit simply allows to to actualise your inter gimp

It’s basically The Mask rules?

Much to consider.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

JoylessJester posted:

And this was enough for a coop to start forming and the secret services to bug his office.

Lol read that as 'Co op' rather than 'coup', and thought, 'oh, that's nice.'

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Mr Teatime posted:

They seek him here. They seek him there. Those police seek him everywhere. Is he in Heaven? Or is he in Hell? That damned, illusive gimpernel.

FUNK MAN!!!!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

I had Wren design the kitchen in my old flat, and they sent a guy round who spend two hours on his laptop modelling out everything.

I then spent more than 3 weeks hassling them to try and get a start date for the work, before I gave up, sent the plans to a local guy and he built it for 2/3 the price.

It had that same vertical wine cooler.

That’s my Wren story.

Surprise surprise wren are a big old scam. They'll send those plans to the same guy.

Kitchen cost me nearly 18 grand through them and it was a complete hack job, needed multiple fixes, got the guy to sort a lot of it, but did it through him and then once the final change date passed for wren to complain (where they'd just ring the guy in my kitchen and tell him they were going to dock his pay, which was quite uncomfortable) the guy just hosed off and wren went , wellp, you should have told us you were unhappy more and we'd have got you a different fitter , too late now!.

Social engineer bullshit that my brain couldn't handle which is why I went with them in the first place as I was tired of dealing with poo poo fitters doing a runner and ghosting me.

Do not recommend.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Same, but Wickes

Friend of mine went with a more expensive bespoke kitchen design company with their own fitters, she still got dicked about but they did eventually put everything right

Unlike Wickes, gently caress them

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 4, 2023

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I did find a brilliant bathroom company tho, who did a great job for a great price and I couldn't be happier. For whatever reason kitchens seem to be a nightmare.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Somerset Gimp posted:

I never intended to cause those people harm or distress

Grauniad posted:

[In his journals] He wrote that the face was like “something out of a horror film” that would “scare the life out of anyone”.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm probably never going to be able to get a new kitchen done. I would probably need to win the lottery to do so.

Also for some cheer of a weekend please enjoy a Brian Butterfield sound board :

https://treatday.rknight.me/

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Coming to the conclusion that SueEllen is the most evil person in the UK today.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/nov/04/suella-braverman-says-rough-sleeping-is-lifestyle-choice

quote:

Suella Braverman says rough sleeping is ‘lifestyle choice’
Home secretary criticised for tweets vowing to restrict use of tents by homeless people, ‘many of them from abroad’

Jedidajah Otte
Sat 4 Nov 2023 11.50 GMT
The home secretary, Suella Braverman, has described rough sleeping as a “lifestyle choice” while defending her decision to restrict the use of tents by homeless people on the streets of Britain.

According to Whitehall insiders, Braverman plans to crack down on tents that cause a nuisance in urban areas such as high streets – amid growing numbers of rough sleepers and what the government considers a rise in antisocial behaviour.

The home secretary has also proposed the introduction of a civil offence, which could lead to charities being fined if they provide homeless people with tents, the Financial Times reported.

Writing on X, formerly Twitter, Braverman defended her proposals, saying: “The British people are compassionate. We will always support those who are genuinely homeless. But we cannot allow our streets to be taken over by rows of tents occupied by people, many of them from abroad, living on the streets as a lifestyle choice.

Can't imagine Charlie Boy in the Big Hat being happy to read that out as the King's Peach.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

https://x.com/StreathamRovers/status/1720722823805542523?s=20

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

The question I cannot seem to get a definite answer on, is whether they were called Gimps before Pulp Faction came out.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Mebh posted:

Surprise surprise wren are a big old scam. They'll send those plans to the same guy.

Kitchen cost me nearly 18 grand through them and it was a complete hack job, needed multiple fixes, got the guy to sort a lot of it, but did it through him and then once the final change date passed for wren to complain (where they'd just ring the guy in my kitchen and tell him they were going to dock his pay, which was quite uncomfortable) the guy just hosed off and wren went , wellp, you should have told us you were unhappy more and we'd have got you a different fitter , too late now!.

Social engineer bullshit that my brain couldn't handle which is why I went with them in the first place as I was tired of dealing with poo poo fitters doing a runner and ghosting me.

Do not recommend.

I work as a kitchen designer for a small independent company, and Wren have an absolutely terrible reputation in the industry. Their sales tactics are incredibly high-pressure and predatory, to the point that some showrooms employ someone specifically to intercept customers on the way to the door if it looks like they're about to leave without agreeing to buy. The kitchens themselves are mediocre, and aftercare varies between nonexistent and actively dismissive. Their advertising budget is huge, which is how they snag most of their business.

I actually had a couple come in a couple of weeks ago on the recommendation of their son-in-law, who is a Wren fitter. His advice to them was not to go near the place.

It's pretty much top of my list of companies I'd never work for. The pay can be pretty good, but the rate of burnout among staff is huge.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Soylent Yellow posted:

I work as a kitchen designer for a small independent company, and Wren have an absolutely terrible reputation in the industry. Their sales tactics are incredibly high-pressure and predatory, to the point that some showrooms employ someone specifically to intercept customers on the way to the door if it looks like they're about to leave without agreeing to buy. The kitchens themselves are mediocre, and aftercare varies between nonexistent and actively dismissive. Their advertising budget is huge, which is how they snag most of their business.

I actually had a couple come in a couple of weeks ago on the recommendation of their son-in-law, who is a Wren fitter. His advice to them was not to go near the place.

It's pretty much top of my list of companies I'd never work for. The pay can be pretty good, but the rate of burnout among staff is huge.
What companies would you recommend? Our kitchen is finally becoming unusable enough to merit a refresh.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Wickes hosed me about massively with phantom deliveries and didn't refund me for two items we had to replace because of their mess-up. fitter was great but everything else was a nightmare

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Chas McGill posted:

What companies would you recommend? Our kitchen is finally becoming unusable enough to merit a refresh.

If you have a decent independent near you, give them a try. The designers will generally be more experienced, the quality better, and they'll have more choice of styles and fittings.

If you're on a budget, there's nothing particularly wrong with a Howdens kitchen, although a lot of their designers are pretty poor. Just buy direct, rather than through your fitter, as Howdens have a habit of including a kickback for them in the bill.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Nadine’s revelations receiving support from some illustrious intellectuals

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And the Cult answers to the lizards, who answer to the Nazis inside the hollow earth, who in turn answer to the mushroom people.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Funny how all the blurry UFO pics stopped when we changed to digital camera lenses instead of physical ones.
And funny how all the X is a Reptile reports stopped when digital encoding changed on TV channels.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

And the Cult answers to the lizards, who answer to the Nazis inside the hollow earth, who in turn answer to the mushroom people.

And the mushroom people answer to me, at least they do when I eat the ones I find in the woods.

Hey, I'm the ruler of the earth! :haw: Neat.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Mebh posted:

... For whatever reason kitchens seem to be a nightmare.

i blame gordon ramsey, personally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

Funny how all the blurry UFO pics stopped when we changed to digital camera lenses instead of physical ones.
And funny how all the X is a Reptile reports stopped when digital encoding changed on TV channels.
Maybe the reptiles changed the encoding :tinfoil:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
if you were going to accuse people of being shape shifting reptilians based on hunches surely Icke himself would be a prime suspect

thulsa doom lookin mawfugger

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Oi mate you got a loicence for that gimp.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We should send david icke to a scalie convention.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Chas McGill posted:

I used Howdens, but I have a carpenter who has done other work for us, that I trust. We ordered the kitchen from Howdens and he fitted it for us. We also ended up changing the design part way through and Howdens were really good at accommodating us.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I always thought Michael Gove was more amphibious than reptilian

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Tigey posted:

Amphibious in heritage, reptilian in values.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tigey posted:

Gove is 100% a deep one.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I got algorithm'd to this excellent FF7 video from a tiny channel and I think you should all watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0t1WmoBXiM

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fine. But not yet. it's after five which means it's pub time.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
An ex-kitchen designer tells me that wine racks are really popular kitchen items because...
They are an intentional-looking way of using up a spare 150mm in the design.

Buy your kitchen from wherever and get a local kitchen fitter or carpenter to install it, not the supplier. Someone who trades on their own reputation can usually be counted on to do a better job.
Also, the invoice will make bistromath look straightforward. Expect this:
Screws (400No.) - Discount 52.83% - Total cost £995
Sink unit (1No.) - Discount 11.41999% - Total cost £108
Cupboard doors (6No.) - Discount 1.4% - Total cost £3

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Endjinneer posted:

An ex-kitchen designer tells me that wine racks are really popular kitchen items because...
That makes good sense, slimline appliances are usually 450mm or so, and full size ones by definition 600mm so it's probably the most common amount of spare space to have.

Same with those sliding vertical drawer ideas.

Unless you put a slimline device in a less than 600mm gap because that's all would go, then you have to make something up.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Endjinneer posted:

Buy your kitchen from wherever and get a local kitchen fitter or carpenter to install it, not the supplier. Someone who trades on their own reputation can usually be counted on to do a better job.
Also, the invoice will make bistromath look straightforward. Expect this:
Screws (400No.) - Discount 52.83% - Total cost £995
Sink unit (1No.) - Discount 11.41999% - Total cost £108
Cupboard doors (6No.) - Discount 1.4% - Total cost £3

Checks out i think. fasteners are expensive

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tsietisin posted:

The question I cannot seem to get a definite answer on, is whether they were called Gimps before Pulp Faction came out.

Pulp Faction sounds like a paper mill cartel or trade union.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Soylent Yellow posted:

If you have a decent independent near you, give them a try. The designers will generally be more experienced, the quality better, and they'll have more choice of styles and fittings.

If you're on a budget, there's nothing particularly wrong with a Howdens kitchen, although a lot of their designers are pretty poor. Just buy direct, rather than through your fitter, as Howdens have a habit of including a kickback for them in the bill.
Ideally I'd like to just have one company to deal with, so hopefully I can find people who do everything. Don't mind paying a bit more for less admin. Annoyingly, I don't know anyone who has had their kitchen done here (edinburgh) recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol