Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

Working 96 hours straight. Did some incline treadmill walking today, going to hit S/B/DL tomorrow, maybe HIC Friday then heavy triples on Sat.

Might have to do something more chill on Friday depending on how these shifts shake out, but the heavy triples are happening for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
First five days of Squatober done. In a slight caloric deficit, low carb (though I did waver this morning and decide to eat some french toast for morale reasons), sleeping well. Not so bad, but three weeks more is definitely a big ask.

So far it's been 37 sets and 200 reps across five days. Worst day was Wednesday, 5x5 tempo squats @ 60% max, so five seconds on the way down, normal speed up. The noises that came out of me made my wife pop her head out the back door (I lift in the garage) and yell if I was okay.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Omnikin posted:

First five days of Squatober done. In a slight caloric deficit, low carb (though I did waver this morning and decide to eat some french toast for morale reasons), sleeping well. Not so bad, but three weeks more is definitely a big ask.

So far it's been 37 sets and 200 reps across five days. Worst day was Wednesday, 5x5 tempo squats @ 60% max, so five seconds on the way down, normal speed up. The noises that came out of me made my wife pop her head out the back door (I lift in the garage) and yell if I was okay.

That sounds incredibly stupid.

In terms of being programmed by an idiot, for a little more clarity. Squat every day programs typically have low volume. You need time to recover from volume if you're going to do anything other than hurt yourself.

Dum Cumpster fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 6, 2023

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Cool. Anyways, outside of some general soreness (nothing DOMS-murder level, but that doesn’t happen to me anymore) it’s been pretty chill. Am I going to do this forever? Nah. Am I gonna push myself physically and mentally for at most a month? I’m gonna try!

Edit - and for real, not disagreeing with you, despite the flippant ‘cool’. I know it’s a rather wacky ‘program’ from some real trauma-obsessed social media strength coaches. But I’m too deep now

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 7, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I wish you the best of luck (even more so trying it on a deficit) and I’m really curious when the fatigue is gonna catch up with you.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It sounds like a fun little thing to do as long as you know the limits, but if you are really gonna do it come off the deficit. Eat a lot.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

anybody in these parts swing steel mace or clubs?

I got me a 4 kilo mace to begin with around a month ago, and whenever I walk by it I just gotta pick it up. Im looking to get into clubs now cause what I've noticed is whatever small gains ive made really translate into dad power. My kid always wants to be picked up and slung around, and playing on the playground with him I notice Im more coordinated and energetic swinging off of bars and climbing on things.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
My deficit is tiny, to the point of a half pound lost this week which at my body weight is just a wiggle. I have been considering leaning into it and eating a bit more, especially if I want to set a new PR on Halloween. In any case I know the concerns/criticisms are based on safety and longevity, not ‘you’re an idiot’, so I appreciate y’all. This isn’t a log so I’ll try to keep the updates to a minimum from here. Just gonna be the Guinea pig for dumb daily squatting

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Renreeja posted:

anybody in these parts swing steel mace or clubs?

I got me a 4 kilo mace to begin with around a month ago, and whenever I walk by it I just gotta pick it up. Im looking to get into clubs now cause what I've noticed is whatever small gains ive made really translate into dad power. My kid always wants to be picked up and slung around, and playing on the playground with him I notice Im more coordinated and energetic swinging off of bars and climbing on things.

You ever take your kid to those trampoline or ball pit places and just see how far you can throw them I got a 55 pound 8 year old and I can two handed overhand toss him about 9 yards

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Best of luck but if you’re not in a caloric surplus you won’t be adding muscle

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Doing weird "challenge" type things can sometimes be cool and good if you know your body and have a training history.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Mozi posted:

Best of luck but if you’re not in a caloric surplus you won’t be adding muscle

Oh 100%, but I do think I’m underutilizing what I have. Like I initially said, I’ve been a diligent squatter for years but have been kinda spinning my wheels lately. This is just a proper kick in the pants to get back on the horse. In any case, I’m gonna add about 100g carbs a day and turn this slight deficit into a slight surplus for the next three weeks. Lord knows it’ll feel a lot better for training & recovery

Hellblazer187 posted:

cool and good if you know your body and have a training history.

And this is kinda why too. I’m not wandering in from zero lifting and thinking this is a good idea. Lifting is my favorite & most consistent hobby (but historically I eat like a turbo piece of poo poo, which has not helped) and I’ve tried out all sortsa disciplines (oly, bb, strongman, PL) in the last several years of training. This is just another notch on the bedpost!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

bird with big dick posted:

You ever take your kid to those trampoline or ball pit places and just see how far you can throw them I got a 55 pound 8 year old and I can two handed overhand toss him about 9 yards

Have you tried grabbin' the kid by the legs or arms and doing a hammer throw instead?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Omnikin posted:

Cool. Anyways, outside of some general soreness (nothing DOMS-murder level, but that doesn’t happen to me anymore) it’s been pretty chill. Am I going to do this forever? Nah. Am I gonna push myself physically and mentally for at most a month? I’m gonna try!

Edit - and for real, not disagreeing with you, despite the flippant ‘cool’. I know it’s a rather wacky ‘program’ from some real trauma-obsessed social media strength coaches. But I’m too deep now

As long as your know what you're getting into go for it. We've all done dumb things, usually it's unintentionally.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Im more comfortable with slinging my boy around the side or ^^^ hammer throw

either way 9 yards thats catapult numbers, bird must be doin 360s with a concrete base parking post

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/UA06Zy4.mp4

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I gained 26 lb over the summer. A successful bulk.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I am leaving the church of iron to train jiu jitsu. Farewell my compatriots

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

You'll back

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

tsk

You could have become swole enough that you could simply lift whoever tried to put you in an armbar off the floor.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Buschmaki posted:

just stand up

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

Buschmaki posted:

I have a black belt in jiu jitsu and guess what, I'm back lifting weights again. You can for sure do both but my work schedule and kids make it way easier for me to just lift/run though.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

JamMaster Flash posted:

I have a black belt in jiu jitsu and guess what, I'm back lifting weights again. You can for sure do both but my work schedule and kids make it way easier for me to just lift/run though.

Is the belt black from rolling around on the floor so much?

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is the belt black from rolling around on the floor so much?

Yeah pretty much

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

RP has an app? I remember it being a pain to look at their spreadsheets on my phone while working out

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KinkyJohn posted:

RP has an app? I remember it being a pain to look at their spreadsheets on my phone while working out

Yeah it works pretty good for the most part

I’m coming up near the end of a 6 week meso and everything seems to be on point over all. It still has some weird bugs but nothing crazy so far.

Being able to pick from a huge list of exercises for a body part is pretty handy as are the YouTube clips explaining it if you’ve never done it or aren’t exactly sure which machine it is. It also nice to be like well I don’t want to do xyz today so let me see what else I can do.

I started my squats way lower than I should have because I wasn’t exactly sure how the program would go if I used my current weight.

Over all for $30 a month I’d say it’s worth it for the flexibility and just being able to go in get poo poo done and get out.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Squatober continues, I'm 16 for 16 on squat days. There have been plenty of easier/tune up days, and a shitton of Bulgarian split squats which I've never really done in volume. Adding those to my normal programming as I move forward; that mixture of balance/flexibility/strength is really fun and now I want to know what my max is at a splitsquat.

I ripped out some squat doubles at 85% last night (unlimited sets within 10 minutes; I ended up at 12); smoked a small pre-roll before that which is unusual for me. Working out high is fuckin weird

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
There was dumb drama at my previous gym last month so I quit and found a new coach. It was a pain but I went with the guy that sells Heat themed workout gear...

His guys got 1st and 3rd at Strongman corp nationals in the lightweight category this past weekend so I think I did a good job with picking...

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Went into the gym feeling like poop, warmups felt like I wasn't even going to be able to hit my prescribed reps but I beat my rep target on both lifts and even set a rep PR on squats :c00l:

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
deadlifted 20 pounds more than I could last week :berninator:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Pre-October back squat (kinda a max test, an out of the blue training max to set the standard for the whole month's percentage based squats): kinda slow, form a little off, had been going through the motions and working more on front squat/zercher squat/other

Today I wrapped up the "squat every weekday" program with another big back squat attempt: +37lbs, moved quicker than any other squat attempt I've taken near this weight, form rock solid. Ended up about 21lbs short of my all-time best. Probably could have squeezed a little closer to a PB but I took my 3-4 attempts up to that point on purpose. Happy with the result.

Pros and cons, I guess. Definitely felt like I was scraping the bottom of the barrel sometimes, mentally feel like I can run through a wall and swim out to deep water without an issue. Pretty fun month, truth be told.

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 31, 2023

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Man the second hand equipment market is still stupid from covid. Been trying to pick up anything reasonable the past month and there's been nothing near me other than dudes thinking their rusty iron is still worth $1/lb or trying to sell new stuff at full price. I just grabbed a used pair of 55 lb bumper plates from Amazon for $80, delivered free to my door. Take that, facebook marketplace. Can't wait to deadlift.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Be safe goons in iron. I am sidelined for the foreseeable future, tore my bicep.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Cobra Commander posted:

Be safe goons in iron. I am sidelined for the foreseeable future, tore my bicep.

every day can be leg day

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

nooneofconsequence posted:

every day can be leg day

No need to rub it in.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

tbh I would absolutely continue lifting with one arm

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

tbh I would absolutely continue lifting with one arm

"nooneofconsequence got one big arm and one little arm, they call 'em Biggie Smalls."

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I wouldn't blame you for quitting upper body lifting (you shouldn't -- it's totally beneficial to work out your healthy arm only, but nobody wants to do that) but there is absolutely no reason not to get some machine leg work in as soon as your doctor oks it

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Batterypowered7 posted:

"nooneofconsequence got one big arm and one little arm, they call 'em Biggie Smalls."
I'm ridiculously asymmetrical already might as well lean into it. I spent months lifting through a hosed up shoulder and I can really see how my body compensated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If you lift with the non-broken arm, it actually helps prevent atrophy on the hosed up arm.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/16/well/move/exercise-sports-injury-arm-leg-broken-strain-sprain.html