Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sonatinas posted:

we used to live in a high lead exposure area so what I did was make sure my kid ate a lot of iron and a healthy stuff to combat lead exposure. since iron especially helps block lead absorption.

the problem is in a lot of places that have lead issues the conditions are not going to be there for people being able to have the nutrition needed to help prevent lead absorption.

Sprinkling some rust on top of my salad to protect myself from the lead in the carrots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Twerk from Home posted:

Sprinkling some rust on top of my salad to protect myself from the lead in the carrots.

you joke but iron supplements is just iron shavings

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I love that one of the biggest defenses against anemia for women is cooking soup with a little iron fish in it.
sounds goofy as gently caress but its legit.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bar Ran Dun posted:

if you ate premade baby food you ate lead too.

I’m not sure you’re following here. it’s in all of it. this has been going on for decades. all of it has lead, some is above the allowable threshold some is not.

No, I’m following; I just think you’re thinking too narrow - it’s not just baby food. It’s in literally everything.

It’s in the fruits and vegetables you buy in the store. It’s in the vitamins you buy, for kids or adults. It’s still used in glazing of ceramics, including ceramics in contact with food. It’s still used in dyes, that get used for the graphics on the exterior of children’s bottles and foodware, and sometimes still in the specialized dyes and appliqués used on children’s clothing. It still makes its way into toys.

Like I get it, “avoid these things”, but the unfortunate fact is, you really can’t. Yeah, be diligent about the brands you purchase, etc., but even then that’s a difficult task, because the brands are only required to test for lead under very limited circumstances; otherwise, it’s optional, and how they do so, is optional. Which means that you could do all the diligence possible to rule out problems with “Brand X”, but then the next batch of powdered mineral additive or filler vegetable they use, could be contaminated, and you wouldn’t likely see the results until after you’d already given it to a child. And this is all part of why the FDA is trying to establish Action Levels, though that hasn’t yet happened (and who knows when they’ll actually go into effect!)

And yeah, “make your own at home”, sounds great, except that when you purée up some sweet potatoes, or rice, or even certain grains, you’re probably going to still see lead, and possibly even at higher levels than what you’d get from a pre-made product. Which isn’t to say that premade products are great; they’re not, but there are certain filtering measures put in place to try and avoid bad lots, since that costs money, and it’d be hard for someone to replicate that at home.

(Plus, a lot of times those home-made baby foods result in another scary concern, C. botulinum, which we won’t even go into!)

Edit: fwiw, this isn’t an argument for not doing homemade stuff. People absolutely should. We do. And there’s ways to try and at least reduce the concentration of heavy metals present, which obviously helps. But whenever people act like this is “the way”, I roll my eyes, because most of the time, they’re not doing what they’d need to in order to get the actual benefits of it.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

chocolate is another recent example. lead / heavy metals is in all chocolate. dark high quality high coco percentage chocolate has more lead in it. a bunch of those bars popped above the threshold. but milk chocolate has lead in it too, just less than the threshold because it has less coco in it.
Yes, and it isn’t a surprise given the nature of the plant. And guess what? Chocolates get even less (read: none) oversight relative to the minimalist possible oversight that baby foods get, so people are really hosed here.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

baby food has sweet potatoes, rice, bananas, etc as ingredients so baby food has lead in it period. The question is, is it above the threshold or not and that’s basically determined by the recipe and ratio to other ingredients.

Bananas don’t really have lead, but that’s beside the point. Yes, pretty much any type of “root vegetable” is almost guaranteed to have a lot of lead. Plants that live their life near the ground and soaked in water, like lettuce, also get it heavily.

And there’s no threshold that’s safe for infants or children (or really anyone, since it bio-accumulates). But because of all the recent outrage, the FDA is trying, via the propose Action Levels, for various core baby foods/cereals/etc. They don’t go as low as they could and should, but it’s at least a start for an otherwise recently-unregulated area.

And again, this is why there’s no “right answer”, but please propose one. You can’t really avoid it, even if you wanted to, because what you buy in the store, will vary week to week in lead concentration, whether it’s raw vegetables/fruit, organic poo poo, if it’s pre-made, etc. You’re rolling the dice either way.

But anyway, I’m gonna move on because I don’t want to turn this awesome thread into a running D&D discussion on this, but like I said, I have young kids. What they eat and drink, worries me every day, for immediate and long-term impacts. But there’s also only so much we can do. And we try. The only thing that gives me a bit of peace, is that it’s still better for them now, with us watching, than it was for me when I was a kid. That isn’t saying much, because it’s America, but it’s still something!

Canned Sunshine has issued a correction as of 01:52 on Nov 5, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My on the state exchange healthcare plan is going up!

from 850$ a month for my husband and I to $1050 a month.

I love America. it rules.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

we are on the same page, everything what what I was trying to convey.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I also saw that reviewbrah video today and I think it's the only thing that might cause change. He's influential in fast food.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
he’s no peep this out

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
How can anyone watch more than a minute of that guy's videos?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

SirPablo posted:

How can anyone watch more than a minute of that guy's videos?

very carefully

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Danny LaFever posted:

Reviewbrah has had it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-uZpt8WV9Y

TLDR - Fast food isn't just more expensive. Its complete inedible garbage.

I attempted to watch this, my first time for one of this guy's videos, and wow he really is just if Niles from Frasier spent a very long time thinking and talking about fast food

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Mustached Demon posted:

you joke but iron supplements is just iron shavings

you can save some money by buying a full loaf and shaving it yourself

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

loquacius posted:

Niles from Frasier spent a very long time thinking and talking about fast food
if Niles looked like a babyface 15 year old kid wearing dad's suit, absolutely correct. it kicks rear end. not something i watch more than once a year but its usually funny way to kill 10 minutes while doing something else

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

An adolescent Niles discovers Youtube instead of psychology. The darkest timeline.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
A curse on day light saving time and those who invented it for making my 12 hour shift 13 hours tonight.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
my partner is a normie who doesn't mind ads and has been on pinterstagram for over 10 years now. even she's complaining that straight up 2-4 ads per "real" post, and very little real content anymore. i was looking over the shoulder and man it really is dire. dont know how anyone uses social media

it's increasingly bad and enshittifying into oblivion

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
those fingernails could shave iron

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Danny LaFever posted:

Reviewbrah has had it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-uZpt8WV9Y

TLDR - Fast food isn't just more expensive. Its complete inedible garbage.

I'd rather kill myself than watch this entire video. This would have been a hundred times better in text

the move to video made everything intolerable

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'd rather kill myself than watch this entire video. This would have been a hundred times better in text

i watched it, he made some good points

Apr 7, 2003

I will not watch it because he has all the charisma of an inflamed hemorrhoid

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

been saying that. youtube and everything being 11 minute videos (because monetization kicks in after 10 minutes) on how to change the battery in a remote or unfuck a broken ratchet strap has been disastrous. video "news" is the worst

i never "got" into youtube culture and rarely use it. still, it's sometimes a useful format, i enjoy like primative tech and that guy that eats 100 year old MREs, the guy who walks through dead malls to vaporwave, and also chinese guys who travel around mountainous china villages on their bikes and it's just them biking with no commentary.

other than that it seems bad, especially all pop culture commenters, movie deconstruction and lore guys, and disney weirdos

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

yeah there's almost no way it still isn't a widespread problem. it's just usually people are not consuming large quantities of tumeric powder

mustard

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

been saying that. youtube and everything being 11 minute videos (because monetization kicks in after 10 minutes) on how to change the battery in a remote or unfuck a broken ratchet strap has been disastrous. video "news" is the worst

i never "got" into youtube culture and rarely use it. still, it's sometimes a useful format, i enjoy like primative tech and that guy that eats 100 year old MREs, the guy who walks through dead malls to vaporwave, and also chinese guys who travel around mountain villages on their bikes and it's just biking videos.

other than that it seems bad, especially all pop culture commenters, movie deconstruction and lore guys, and disney weirdos

Roger Ebert built his reputation on writing, had he started out in the era of YouTube everyone would have said "who is this fat dumb nerd" and closed the window

Apr 7, 2003

Also Costco sells a lot of turmeric supplements that the olds buy to subsidize my poo poo paper

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
eh, the amount of tumeric powder in American French's(TM) Mustard that everyone eats is so miniscule, like how most american chocolate contains 0.01% cocao, that it's fine.

and even then most people are not eating large quantities of mustard either. so it's like yeah tumeric has some unfortunately detectable levels of heavy metals writ large that could be considered bad, but the amount is small relative to the amount consumed.

Probably just walking next to a freeway for 5 minutes is way way way worse for your health than worrying about tumeric. That's really more my point is pretty much everything is so heavily polluted, especially by tire particulates, that it's like welp oh well

that said I definitely wouldn't want to chow down on like 10+ grams of tumeric powder in a sitting every day but 1 tsp here and there is fine. In this case, it's just the nature of the plant and where it's grown/harvested and how it grows in soil conditions that it's gunna be more or less unavoidable. in terms of things I'd worry about in contemporary living, it doesn't even break top 20 that i'm using trader joes tumeric powder

e: If you really want to clean up your pantry, look at consumereports list and stuff, you might be surprised: https://www.consumerreports.org/health/food-safety/your-herbs-and-spices-might-contain-arsenic-cadmium-and-lead-a6246621494/

Xaris has issued a correction as of 03:18 on Nov 5, 2023

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

market pantry isn’t that target brand?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

i am harry posted:

market pantry isn’t that target brand?

yes I think so.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

spice supreme shows up at dollar tree. clear value I think is a store brand but can’t remember which maybe Food Lion?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Roger Ebert built his reputation on writing, had he started out in the era of YouTube everyone would have said "who is this fat dumb nerd" and closed the window

They'd be right

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

roger ebert loved titties so, so much

big ol black titties in particular

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

roger ebert loved titties so, so much
that's why he kicked rear end. nobody loves titties anymore, smdh

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

you cant read text in the background while you do something else though. video ftw

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i will keep the flame alive

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

OhFunny posted:

A curse on day light saving time and those who invented it for making my 12 hour shift 13 hours tonight.

lol owned

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Lotta haters itt imo

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

and nothing would have been lost

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Siskel & Ebert were the OG reaction videos.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
hating youtube and pining for the glory days of the written word :chanpop:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Xaris posted:

e: If you really want to clean up your pantry, look at consumereports list and stuff, you might be surprised: https://www.consumerreports.org/health/food-safety/your-herbs-and-spices-might-contain-arsenic-cadmium-and-lead-a6246621494/

:drat:

Yeah, it really puts it into perspective how the FDA really is not setup to give a poo poo about Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Canned Sunshine posted:

:drat:

Yeah, it really puts it into perspective how the FDA really is not setup to give a poo poo about Americans.

god drat buy a led grow light for $20 and some seed packets is the only way