Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Turpitude posted:

Yeah i watched it, it gets quite silly by the last few episodes but it was a fun ride. My favorite part involves the monk character and a giant bell

Over all I give it a 6/10 with Castlevania and Pantheon being examples of 10s

I know the the main character appeared in Blade Warriors and the manga but the show itself isn’t an adaption of any particular game in the series is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Larryb posted:

I know the the main character appeared in Blade Warriors and the manga but the show itself isn’t an adaption of any particular game in the series is it?

I'm not sure. My Onimusha experience is only with the one that had Jean Reno in it and this anime didn't have Jean Reno :'( :france:

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

My understanding is that it features a character from one of the games but isn’t a direct adaptation of any of them (also Takashi Miike apparently directed it)

So I looked it up and the main character, Miyamoto Musashi was a legendary warrior/philosopher who was one of the most renowned samurai in japan. As far as I can tell he has never appeared in any of the games. Also, his character is modeled after Toshiro Mifune, one of the most famous actors in japan, which is kind of cool.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Invincible is back. Invincible is good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fishy Flip posted:

So I looked it up and the main character, Miyamoto Musashi was a legendary warrior/philosopher who was one of the most renowned samurai in japan. As far as I can tell he has never appeared in any of the games. Also, his character is modeled after Toshiro Mifune, one of the most famous actors in japan, which is kind of cool.

I mentioned it above but he has actually:

https://onimusha.fandom.com/wiki/Musashi_Miyamoto

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
drat now I'm down the rabbit hole on this Musashi guy. This is just the first paragraph from wikipedia...

quote:

Miyamoto Musashi (宮本 武蔵, c. 1584 – 13 June 1645),[1] also known as Shinmen Takezō, Miyamoto Bennosuke or, by his Buddhist name, Niten Dōraku,[2] was a Japanese swordsman, philosopher, strategist, writer and rōnin, who became renowned through stories of his unique double-bladed swordsmanship and undefeated record in his 61 duels (next is 33 by Itō Ittōsai). Musashi, as he was often simply known, is considered a Kensei, a sword-saint of Japan.[3] He was the founder of the Niten Ichi-ryū, or Nito Ichi-ryū, style of swordsmanship, and in his final years authored The Book of Five Rings (五輪の書, Go Rin No Sho) and Dokkōdō (獨行道, The Path of Aloneness).

Dude was literally an anime character.

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

I mentioned it above but he has actually:

https://onimusha.fandom.com/wiki/Musashi_Miyamoto

Oh, my bad I never found he had any association with them.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Fishy Flip posted:

drat now I'm down the rabbit hole on this Musashi guy. This is just the first paragraph from wikipedia...

Also worth noting part of the reason he won all those duels is a, relaxed, attitude regarding fair play. The duel with Sasaki Kojiro he won using an oversized wooden club made from a boat oar for example.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fishy Flip posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DqavRvIUos&t=1039s

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Random thing about Adventure Time

I'm not sure how to feel about "tranch". On one hand it's gross that they made up an in-universe word that works exactly the same as "bitch" and is used with the same connotations. But on the other hand it's a hilarious word and I crack up whenever I hear it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about "tranch". On one hand it's gross that they made up an in-universe word that works exactly the same as "bitch" and is used with the same connotations. But on the other hand it's a hilarious word and I crack up whenever I hear it

I think that’s part of the reason why the fact they were allowed to swear and have a higher level of violence in Fionna & Cake felt perfectly natural to me (the show had already been skirting the line as close as it could way before then)

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
Whats everyones thoughts on Krapopolis? Better than Rick and Morty ? Im enjoying it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

kneelbeforezog posted:

Whats everyones thoughts on Krapopolis? Better than Rick and Morty ? Im enjoying it

Yeah it's pretty funny. Not better than Rick and Morty (yet?) but it's good.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It is absolute garbage

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
yeah, better than rick and morty!!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It's very much 'fine'. I really feel like the vocal performances have not been well-directed, and the character animation is extremely base-standard.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
And if you want to learn more about Miyamoto Musashi why not do it through the magic of puppets?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7bSLlN_C1A
Guy was basically a murder hobo, but if you just ask permission first you upgrade from serial killer to legend, an import lesson of consent for everyone.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 4, 2023

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

kneelbeforezog posted:

It's exceeded my low expectations. Good cast, clever writing at times, and I love mythology and classics so it's up my alley. Could do with fewer references to modern times but otherwise I'm enjoying it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah it's pretty funny. Not better than Rick and Morty (yet?) but it's good.

i am a moron posted:

It is absolute garbage

Nikumatic posted:

yeah, better than rick and morty!!

lol the best triple post follow up

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Wedge Regret
https://x.com/charleshuettner/status/1720935835145506861?s=20

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Dang, Blue Eye Samurai sure is loving pretty.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God, I wish they'd release this show in Canada already.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

anatomi posted:

Dang, Blue Eye Samurai sure is loving pretty.

Yeah normally I loving hate 3d animation but they absolutely made it work really well. It's gorgeous.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Data Graham posted:

The first time they used the word tranch they were referring to a man in a literal trench coat, so I think it's meant to imply more of a sketchy lowlife aura without necessarily being a gendered insult. Halfway between tramp and creep. Ash is a major tranch, for instance.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

What's the deal with the noticably poor frame rate on 3d animated cartoons anyway? Surely it can't be rendering expenses in this day and age.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's an attempt to do spider-verse on the cheap

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Last episode says “stepped foot”, I’m out

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Season five of Adventure Time is fuckin' weird.

I watched up to Wizards Only, Fools last night, and I swear every episode for a while now has left me like :psyduck:.

EDIT: It kind of owns they did a Mystery Dungeon episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

What's the deal with the noticably poor frame rate on 3d animated cartoons anyway? Surely it can't be rendering expenses in this day and age.

DoctorWhat posted:

It's an attempt to do spider-verse on the cheap

Yeah, it's folks not realizing that low-framerate animation only works well in intense action sequences to emphasize movements and impacts like Spider-Verse does, otherwise you want 30 or near-30 FPS for just normal slower scenes so poo poo doesn't look weird. Like how Battlefield Earth is 2 hours of dutch angels because the DOP didn't try to vary their shot compositions at all.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There might be some effort saved in not having to do extra keyframes if they're doing more complicated animation that involves actually warping models, but yeah it could just be aesthetic. It's not going to look "bad" unless you're some kind of gamerbrained, and if you're a fan of 2D animation, your eyeballs may already be used to lower amounts of frames.

There are some shows that do some kind of 2.5D animation with CGI models that are made to look flat and some shows that are 3D models that have hand-drawn bits speckled in, and those might want to enhance the appearance of being classic animation? I'm really not sure of the whole deal.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Warbird posted:

Invincible is back. Invincible is good.

The release schedule seems kind of whack, or maybe I'm just out of touch. Four episodes this month, four "some time in 2024"?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nuebot posted:

The release schedule seems kind of whack, or maybe I'm just out of touch. Four episodes this month, four "some time in 2024"?

From what I understand each of these sets of episodes were originally considered two separate seasons, seasons Two and Three respectively, hence the release schedule.

However, at some point they decided that they wanted to make a proper eight episode third season and rebranded the third season as the second half of Season Two. I think? It's not particularly clear.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I just got done watching Blue Eye Samurai on netflix.

It's a show nobody is going to watch because it's asian-centric anime and it has a weird name. But the 100 on Rotten Tomatoes they earned. I don't know any of the names of the writers or directors but they woke up and chose violence.

They earned every point of that 100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ1yQn17lbE

Holy poo poo this show is so good. I hope Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa's in it more than just episode 1. He's always the best part of everything he's in, so if he's just a one and done character I'm gonna be disappointed.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 5, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It's less a question of "framerate" so much as how one is using the frames you've been given.

Traditional hand-drawn animation is usually 24 frames per second, and while that works great for drawn images or stop-motion, when you're doing CG, the audience expectation of fluidity is much higher or else the sheer stillness of the imagery becomes unnerving or looks like a frozen movie file rather than being accepted because you're watching flat drawings and stillness is the expected norm.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Open Source Idiom posted:

From what I understand each of these sets of episodes were originally considered two separate seasons, seasons Two and Three respectively, hence the release schedule.

However, at some point they decided that they wanted to make a proper eight episode third season and rebranded the third season as the second half of Season Two. I think? It's not particularly clear.

Strange. First episode is indeed real good though, so if they keep up that quality at least it'll at least be a packed four episodes until the break.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Neeksy posted:

It's less a question of "framerate" so much as how one is using the frames you've been given.

Traditional hand-drawn animation is usually 24 frames per second, and while that works great for drawn images or stop-motion, when you're doing CG, the audience expectation of fluidity is much higher or else the sheer stillness of the imagery becomes unnerving or looks like a frozen movie file rather than being accepted because you're watching flat drawings and stillness is the expected norm.
Nah, 8 or 12 is far more common. Even 6 or 4 or lower will happen if the movements are small, or when the budget or scheduling issues hit (see that classic Macross/Robotech episode where a whole rear end scene doesn't have any inbetweens so it plays at a literal frame a second).

But you're right in that it's important to have something moving and changing from frame to frame. Even when traditional animation was at 12 fps they were still photographing each drawing twice because film is 24 fps, and that means even when the amount of drawings per second isn't that high, there can still be pans and "camera" movement each frame. A lot of the early bad attempts a using CG to mimic traditional animation would just turn down the framerate and leave everything looking choppy and disjointed. The modern films that use "choppy" animation better, like The Last Wish, know that they need to keep the camera movements smooth.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 5, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Framerate isn't changing, it's how many frames an image is being -held-. Whether you're animating on ones or twos or threes, the framerate is still 24 per second.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 5, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Neeksy posted:

Framerate isn't changing, it's how many frames an image is being -held-. Whether you're animating on ones or twos or threes, the framerate is still 24 per second.

Just play the movie at double speed instead.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

blue eye samurai is VERY good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's pretty wild how few ratings Scavenger's Reign has on IMDB. I think also when they (IF THEY) release it to the rest of the world it's going to suffer because people will have watched it elsewhere. I'm kinda surprised none of the replies to his tweet are people asking why it's not out outside of the US but maybe they don't wanna accidentally admit they've pirated it, I dunno.

Those last 3 episodes of the show were so goddamn good. I agree with the person up thread mentioning how well the 3 new characters build the world. Even just things like learning a Demeter is a specific TYPE of ship that gets sent out to colonies and that there's people who just have colonies all over the show. Also it's Polyanna Macintosh! Which is cool.
I did notice them calling the moon of the planet an ABANDONED moon as well. So I do feel like other people have been to this planet, it's not totally unexplored. Which I think makes Sam's use of the various animals on the planet make more sense too, like they're vaguely known it's not totally "hey I should put this in my mouth to see if it lets me breathe"

Excited to see the last 3