Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I’m at about 80tb as well, just upgraded to new more power efficient storage so I have a lot more space to play with. Once upon a time I actually would calculate out “burn rates” based on how quickly I was consuming storage to determine when I needed to add more drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think the biggest hurdle to bulk NVMe storage for the homegamer is going to be the cost of the PCIe lanes / switching needed to hook them up. The cost per TB of the drives themselves is already interesting.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Corb3t posted:

How big is everybody's Plex server? I'm curious.

I've got an 110 TB Unraid server with about 80 TB full.

Only 11 TB but all SSD, and packed into a smaller HTCP-style case. I wanted to balance space with performance, reliability, and idle power draw. It seemed like plenty of space when I built it but then I started getting 4K remuxes and now I'm thirsty again. I'm trying to wait until 2027 so I get 10 years out of this build before I do a new build and load it up with 8TB SATA SSDs. SSDs have gotten drastically cheaper and denser in recent years and I'm hoping that trend continues.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Corb3t posted:

2x16 tb at the moment, have an 8 tb waiting on a new case that will fit everything. Wanting to transition to unraid, and I'll add another 16tb at that point probably. Not sure how much of that plex takes up, but 10tb used at the moment.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Corb3t posted:

code:
zpool list
NAME            SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
Christmas-Eve  98.2T  61.8T  36.5T        -         -     8%    62%  1.00x    ONLINE  -
WinterPalace   72.8T  29.3T  43.5T        -         -     2%    40%  1.00x    ONLINE  -
rpool           222G   106G   116G        -         -    62%    47%  1.00x    ONLINE  -

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Corb3t posted:

8x14TB, still got some room left, but I am looking at upgrades :haw:

code:
zpool list
NAME        SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
boot-pool    95G  12.2G  82.8G        -         -    10%    12%  1.00x    ONLINE  -
data        102T  72.6T  29.2T        -         -     0%    71%  1.00x    ONLINE  /mnt
scratch     888G  7.97G   880G        -         -    11%     0%  1.00x    ONLINE  /mnt

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Corb3t posted:

Unraid server with 2x14tb and 2x18tb and I’m just adding more as needed. I can get a total of 13 drives in the tower.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m doing 4x12 striped plus a respectable portion of that is family stuff so roughly 8TB I figure.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

code:
zpool list
NAME          SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
tank          300T   134T   166T        -         -     1%    44%  1.00x    ONLINE  -
I am very glad I have somewhere I can put this box where I don't have to worry about power or noise.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've got....

4x 14 TB WD Red/White (Shucked EasyStore)
2x 12 TB WD Red/White (Shucked EasyStore)
4x 10 TB WD Red/White (Shucked EasyStore)
1x 4 TB Seagate that refuses to die, but will be replaced the next time a new drive goes in since I'm low on case space.

I'm going to buy 2x 20 TB drives and move over the data on the 10 TB drives and convert them into a ZFS pool at some point. 18 TB EasyStores may be on sale for ~$200 on Black Friday, that may be tempting.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

147tb unraid

looks like plex dash is finally gonna be loving updated

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Two 16TB drives about 75% filled up, with a 8TB about half way for incoming media.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I don't have a lot of storage, and I keep chasing efficiency with transcoding. Working on going to all AV1.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

12tbx4, about half used. unraid single parity. Actually not really losing space swapping low res old stuff out for upgrades since x265 is so efficient which is cool.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

36tb 14tb used, didn’t expect to be on the decidedly smaller end here lol

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

That Works posted:

36tb 14tb used, didn’t expect to be on the decidedly smaller end here lol

That's about where I am, and here I thought I was a digital hoarder but alas. I definitely do not keep a lot of shows that I do not have no interest in revisiting.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I definitely have hoarder/archivist mentality - if a piece of media resonated with me at any point of time, I like to have a copy of it on my server "just in case". Admittedly, I have let friends and family take over a nice chunk of my Plex server through requests, but dropping $200-$400 a year on expanding the storage is well worth the price of having most of my media in a centralized app with a nice interface.

I plan on picking up an Intel gpu with av1 encoding/decoding at some point as well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

100TB, but my love of going for archival quality is helping stretch this space pretty far. I’m glad I’m not stuck in a Remux only mindset, and if I can’t find a HEVC encode I’m happy with I’ll usually roll my own.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My Plex server has been sitting at 12TB for like the last ~8 years? Maybe more? I haven't had the need for additional storage for some time now, though I only have 2TB free atm. So I dunno, either I janitor some old poo poo that never gets watched or I upgrade eventually. I do have access to Netflix, Paramount+, Hulu, Disney+, AppleTV+, and Prime Video that covers a lot of things. My Plex server is mostly for newer releases.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I have a 4tb Seedbox. I used to have a 10tb server locally but this is honestly just so much easier for me to deal with. Nobody else in my family will use Plex so it’s just me watching anyway :cry:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
23.8tb, 11.5tb free, 4bay DS423+. I have a bay open still.
I was topped out for a bit, so upgraded to this 4 bay. Now I have plenty of breathing room. I don't care about quality a ton. A good 720p is good enough for me (for now). I have about 5 users that are on often, and 5 others that might watch something they'd have to start up a service for.
I'm antsy about daily shows and kids shows that spawn 100+ episodes... for no real good reason.. probably ptsd from when I only had a 200gb free.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

cryptoclastic posted:

I have a 4tb Seedbox. I used to have a 10tb server locally but this is honestly just so much easier for me to deal with. Nobody else in my family will use Plex so it’s just me watching anyway :cry:

Yeah, same, I only have 2 or 3 family members that watch from my own server these days, and when they do it's just more recent stuff that I threw on the server or something they specifically requested (which is a rare occurence). I did set up local Plex servers at my brother's home and a family friend's place that I have remote access to; both of those were 8TB machines that have like 4TB free still.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
I have four 8MB tape drives in a RAID array fed into commodore seedbox that i talk to over the world wide web via NETBEUI it ain't much and it doesn't work

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Corb3t posted:

40TB (8x8 with 2 drives parity) and about 12TB used. I actually use it for music more than anything so my ISOs are a lot smaller than average I bet.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got a dozen drives in my Unraid server, 102TB array size and about 65TB used with a 14TB parity drive and a 1TB ssd cache drive. Mix of 14s, 12s and 8s in there, slowly replacing the 8s with 14s as they age out.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 4, 2023

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Corb3t posted:

Nice try Fed

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
2x 18TB, one for movies, one for TV and music. Each has nearly precisely 10TB used.
1gbps internet connection
gtx 1070 for transcoding
about 6 active users per day, 12-15 on a week by week basis.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I think I have one 6TB drive? Maybe it's only 4? I don't remember

Really the only use my plex sees is that I ripped the entire James Bond bluray set and my wife just puts those on when she wants background noise. It started because Pluto streaming had the movies on rotation leading up to the most recent one, and stopped once the movie was out, and I was pressed into service to solve the problem.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Alarbus posted:

Really the only use my plex sees is that I ripped the entire James Bond bluray set and my wife just puts those on when she wants background noise. It started because Pluto streaming had the movies on rotation leading up to the most recent one, and stopped once the movie was out, and I was pressed into service to solve the problem.

I don’t know if you have watched any of the stuff on those disks about the restoration they did, but they put in Work on the old ones

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I have an 8TB and 14TB externals hooked up to an M2 mac mini that is also the Plex server. Probably about a 13tb used. I've got a dozen or so friends and family that use it. Some more than others. It works well.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Burden posted:

I have an 8TB and 14TB externals hooked up to an M2 mac mini that is also the Plex server. Probably about a 13tb used. I've got a dozen or so friends and family that use it. Some more than others. It works well.

Exact same setup except M1 mini.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Anyone else get this?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Anyone else get this?

Hi I work on Windows Defender actually. That pops up when a binary is unfamiliar and doesn’t show up in our database but has some suspicious characteristics, if you submit it, it will probably get cleared pretty instantly. It probably just recently updated to a new version.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Talorat posted:

Hi I work on Windows Defender actually. That pops up when a binary is unfamiliar and doesn’t show up in our database but has some suspicious characteristics, if you submit it, it will probably get cleared pretty instantly. It probably just recently updated to a new version.

Lol, not the response I never expected here. I work on reverse engineering malware as a side hobby and some of the poo poo they to hide is some real weird poo poo I would imagine malware that compiles/runs entirely from JPG or some other poo poo would be hard to automatically detect

Hughlander posted:

It does, but oddly enough I just cut the &apiKey=XXXX from the URL and it worked...

https://sonarr.url.com/sonarr/feed/calendar/Sonarr.ics

I saw the ICS ability in sonarr but the part I was reading said work on it has been stopped since Google kept changing the format or something.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 4, 2023

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Anyone else get this?

I got this and it hosed my install when I tried to play a Dolby true hd audio track and couldn’t find the file

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Talorat posted:

Thank you for your service :patriot:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

Lol, not the response I never expected here. I work on reverse engineering malware as a side hobby and some of the poo poo they to hide is some real weird poo poo I would imagine malware that compiles/runs entirely from JPG or some other poo poo would be hard to automatically detect

Oh yeah, I don't have a lot of first hand experience with that stuff, but the researchers tell us about some incredibly sophisticated obfuscation. It's very much an arms race, they develop new obfuscation techniques, we develop new detections, back and forth, forever.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Talorat posted:

Oh yeah, I don't have a lot of first hand experience with that stuff, but the researchers tell us about some incredibly sophisticated obfuscation. It's very much an arms race, they develop new obfuscation techniques, we develop new detections, back and forth, forever.

Yep.

I do incident response. I will always have a job.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I don’t know if you have watched any of the stuff on those disks about the restoration they did, but they put in Work on the old ones

I'm still amazed at what they had to do for the ST:TNG blurays. The show was shot on film so they could just go back and scan that, except a lot of episodes didn't have a complete 'master' copy, so they had to go digging through multiple takes of each camera and recreate each episode by hand :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm still amazed at what they had to do for the ST:TNG blurays. The show was shot on film so they could just go back and scan that, except a lot of episodes didn't have a complete 'master' copy, so they had to go digging through multiple takes of each camera and recreate each episode by hand :catstare:

As opposed to what they did with Buffy The Vampire Slayer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZWNGq70Oyo