Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Runa posted:

Allison logging onto a bodybuilding forum to argue about how many ten days there are in a week

lmao yesss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Runa posted:

Allison logging onto a bodybuilding forum to argue about how many ten days there are in a week

Every few years I think of this and lol.

In some languages they count the days of the week super wildly differently and I'm like 70% sure nobody in that was fully stupid, just talking past each other

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

My wife and I argue about whether Sunday is the end of the week or the beginning.

(why the gently caress would you start the week in the middle of the weekEND?)

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Saturday and Sunday are both ends of the same week.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah this. The comic has been very clear at stating that there is no wiggle room around Jadis' omniscience. So Allison still has many years left and will not die in 10 days. There are worse things than death in this setting so that absolutely does not mean that everything will be fine when Jagg wakes up though.

I mean, even without Jadis’s statement, I don’t think anyone believes this story ends “lol, Jagg kills everyone yet again!” really. There’s still tension wondering what WILL happen, but I certainly don’t think we’re getting a shaggy dog story ending. Really I just wonder how Allison will actually deal with victory when it almost certainly comes.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I know Sunday is the officially agreed upon first day of the week but my brain always rebels at that and tries to argue that Monday is when it begins. So I'm probably as dumb as a bodybuilder but without the body

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
As with many things, it's a U.S. / UK split, with a lot of countries following along for colonial reasons. There are also a handful of Muslim-majority countries that consider Saturday the start of the week.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Jetamo posted:

nooo! noooooo!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Robert Facepalmer posted:

My wife and I argue about whether Sunday is the end of the week or the beginning.

(why the gently caress would you start the week in the middle of the weekEND?)

It's called a pair of bookends not a bookend and bookstart

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Runa posted:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jetamo posted:

Like a sandwich. :hmmyes:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah this. The comic has been very clear at stating that there is no wiggle room around Jadis' omniscience. So Allison still has many years left and will not die in 10 days. There are worse things than death in this setting so that absolutely does not mean that everything will be fine when Jagg wakes up though.

Break infinity by getting yourself killed right now while the literal omniscient wizard 100% guaranteed you'd live another couple decades. Topple the entire house of cards that is prophecy and predetermination.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I still like the idea that while Jadis is omniscient, she lied to Alison about when she will die so that she will be recklessly foolhardy enough to go all out against Jaggs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jadis never does anything so something can happen. She's lost the ability make a choice like that, or perform an action because of something she wants. All she ever does is what she already knows she does, reading from a script she's already seen the last page of.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

MikeJF posted:

Jadis never does anything so something can happen. She's lost the ability make a choice like that. All she ever does is what she already knows she does.

The early cycles of her omniscience must've been weird. "I know I will do this because I wil always have done this, but until I did it I couldn't have known what I would do." Probably froze herself into a block of ice to soothe the splitting headache.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MikeJF posted:

Jadis never does anything so something can happen. She's lost the ability make a choice like that. All she ever does is what she already knows she does.

"Never making a choice" and "Always telling the truth" aren't the same thing, she absolutely seems like she'd be the person who'd find out she will lie, feel guilty about it for the years leading up to the point where she knows she'll do it, and then just tell the lie anyways

the question of "at what point did a Jadis make the decision to tell the lie" seems like a paradox on the face of it, but that could just as easily be applied to any of the other things that she does-- she asked allison if she wants breakfast because she saw herself asking allison if she wants breakfast because etc

e: a fun and interesting thought would be if Jadis sees and follows The One Specific Path She Always Does because that's the only path that does, in fact, perpetuate the cycle-- any divergence from it would have and has already resulted in the wheel being broken, whoops

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 5, 2023

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
An omniscient being whose every action are prompted by her having read the script means her behavior is completely arbitrary and meaningless. She could start reciting the complete works of Shakespeare backwards because "that's what she does".

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Even if everything you do is pre-determined, if you're pre-determined to think about and care about the choices that are already made for you ahead of time, then you care about and are invested in what you do. And that's indistinguishable from actually having choice. So what's the worry?

I mean unless of course you're pre-determined to worry about that sort of thing. Then by all means, please do.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

oobey posted:

I mean unless of course you're pre-determined to worry about that sort of thing. Then by all means, please do.

now I'm just thinking about the poor saps who were predetermined to believe in roko's basilisk

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

true royalty is being omniscient and forgetting about the dumb basilisk anyways

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
The horror scenario is if your actions are predetermined, but your thoughts and feelings are not.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
After reading the Jadis arc again to see if I liked it better (I did), I think saying Jadis is "acting from a script" sells her short. She doesn't see a script; she made/is-making/will-make all her decisions for her own reasons. Her problem is that because she is constantly experiencing every moment of existence at once, she's unable to learn things or to reassess her perspective in light of new information, because she already has all the information she's ever going to get. She's locked into the way she is, not because she's unable to make choices, but because the events that make choices possible have all already happened.

That chapter is all about processing trauma, and the nature of Jadis' condition is such that she's completely unable to process her trauma at all.

Also apparently she can't talk properly to anybody, except Allison, for reasons that aren't really elaborated on?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
She once referenced a meme that went out of vogue years ago and has since sworn herself to solitude in shame.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Rand Brittain posted:

Also apparently she can't talk properly to anybody, except Allison, for reasons that aren't really elaborated on?

She was able to get out of the cube and talk to Allison because it was the time in the timeline for her to, obviously.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the big revelation about jadis was that, while her omniscience is perfect and she is correct about everything and never lies, whatever thin remnant of a personality she still has revolves around failure. seeing the shape was the single worst moment and most grievous error of her life and she's incapable from moving on from it because there's nowhere for her to move on to. allison's defeat against jagganoth and the subsequent fallout was a similar moment of utter cosmic failure, so the entity that still passes for "jadis" probably sympathized with her enough (as she always would because it's what she does and so on and etc) to come out of her cube and speak coherently

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Comin' outta my cube and I've been doing just how I was always meant to and always will be

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

GunnerJ posted:

Comin' outta my cube and I've been doing just how I was always meant to and always will be

gotta gotta be down
because ive seen it all

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Has anyone who preordered the Cio statue been contacted at all by Animegami or whoever they’re working with for the bankruptcy dealings? I haven’t heard anything at all and have no address to email them at.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Rand Brittain posted:

I've got an idea for why that is, and I think it's because Jadis is dead.

Well, dead in the same sort of way that Zoss is, which is why she's able to talk to Allison just like Zoss can. Notice here where she's referred to as the former bearer of the word Mind. This could be referring to Jadis's weird semi-alive state but I think her popsicle body got iced when Jagganoth did his big dumb sword move and now Jadis is like, a key ghost or something.

But, if Jadis is the former bearer, then who's the current one? My guess is either our collective pal Gog-Agog, who wormed up Jadis's key after the battle while no one was looking, or some other rando (a devil maybe? Oscar? Praman Nand? Charon and/or Cat Master?) who did the same thing.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Jadis has been dead for a long time. All that's left is a recording of her.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Jadisn't

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

the big revelation about jadis was that, while her omniscience is perfect and she is correct about everything and never lies

I don't know about the "never lies" part, I'm not saying she does or doesn't, but she could, because, well, I've basically said what UC said here before:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"Never making a choice" and "Always telling the truth" aren't the same thing, she absolutely seems like she'd be the person who'd find out she will lie, feel guilty about it for the years leading up to the point where she knows she'll do it, and then just tell the lie anyways

the question of "at what point did a Jadis make the decision to tell the lie" seems like a paradox on the face of it, but that could just as easily be applied to any of the other things that she does-- she asked allison if she wants breakfast because she saw herself asking allison if she wants breakfast because etc

So, is that happening? Not sure, but it wouldn't be "breaking the rules" if it did. If Jadis has to lie because it is predetermined and is like "sorry, had to do it, it was foretold, I'm just reading the script here" that still makes sense. It makes just as much sense if that isn't happening as it is, but it could be.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

red plastic cup posted:

Notice here where she's referred to as the former bearer of the word Mind. This could be referring to Jadis's weird semi-alive state but I think her popsicle body got iced when Jagganoth did his big dumb sword move and now Jadis is like, a key ghost or something.
She is a former bearer because she lost her Mind.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
jadis lying doesn’t make sense from either perspective. in-universe, her word is literally the incarnate form of the Shape - she’s incapable of being wrong in part because there’s not enough of a person there to filter the truth to that extent. as a strict textual read, there’s no point to a lying omniscient character because that defeats the point of their omniscience, which is why they tend to sneakily interpret or phrase the truth instead

that’s what jadis did. because she exists in a perpetual loop of failure, her stated truth is “you will die in 35 years and all your endeavor is pointless, so you should avoid pain with the time you have.” Alison isn’t trapped in that loop, so her truth is “I’m going to die in 35 years. gently caress it”

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I honestly feel bad for Jadis, she went in with noble intentions when the world was abusing her to have none, then completely imploded with no chance of recovery or growth. Then she became an ice cube

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm just happy that the cyclical nature of existance led me to enjoy this great comic with such lively friends.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

jadis lying doesn’t make sense from either perspective. in-universe, her word is literally the incarnate form of the Shape - she’s incapable of being wrong in part because there’s not enough of a person there to filter the truth to that extent. as a strict textual read, there’s no point to a lying omniscient character because that defeats the point of their omniscience, which is why they tend to sneakily interpret or phrase the truth instead

that’s what jadis did. because she exists in a perpetual loop of failure, her stated truth is “you will die in 35 years and all your endeavor is pointless, so you should avoid pain with the time you have.” Alison isn’t trapped in that loop, so her truth is “I’m going to die in 35 years. gently caress it”

Probably, but I still disagree that it is certain. It makes just as much "sense" for her to say literally anything versus the next thing if it's "in the script", point be damned. I don't personally think Jadis is lying about when Alison will die, but she just as well could be as not if that's what she is "supposed" to do. But it doesn't mean someday Alison might get pissed off and call Jadis out for telling her some bullshit and Jadis is like "yeah, sorry, I had to do that. Also, this too." She's not "wrong" in her knowledge if she knows better but has to do a thing anyways

man why you even got to do a thing

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'm just happy that the cyclical nature of existance led me to enjoy this great comic with such lively friends.

What's exciting is that we'll get to enjoy it together over and over for an infinite time unless some furious dumbass shatters existence.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Ashcans posted:

What's exciting is that we'll get to enjoy it together over and over for an infinite time unless some furious dumbass shatters existence.

Ah gently caress, I'm sorry. I accidentally spilt my cup of tea on reality and I didn't think anyone would notice...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

girl dick energy posted:

She once referenced a meme that went out of vogue years ago and has since sworn herself to solitude in shame.

She hasn't actually referenced it yet - she remembers referencing in the future though, and the shame of that is even stronger