Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I think this was posted within the last week, but search didn't find it: is the best way to decontaminate a room with UV, or ozone, or something else; and how exactly would I do that?

I'm going to have various movers and installers and such in the house every day next week, and there's no way they'll all mask correctly the whole time. I'll be masked, but there will still be particulate everywhere, and I'd rather not sleep in a mask all week. What's my best course of action? Or is it as simple as a Corsi cube in every room?

Corsi cube(s), open the windows if you can, get a breeze going through.

I mean, if you have a UV light, knock yourself out... I wouldn't bother buying one for this if you don't have one already though. Don't look at the UV, run it in an empty room. Ozone seems more poisonous than beneficial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I think this was posted within the last week, but search didn't find it: is the best way to decontaminate a room with UV, or ozone, or something else; and how exactly would I do that?

I'm going to have various movers and installers and such in the house every day next week, and there's no way they'll all mask correctly the whole time. I'll be masked, but there will still be particulate everywhere, and I'd rather not sleep in a mask all week. What's my best course of action? Or is it as simple as a Corsi cube in every room?

If you could have one Corsi running full blast in your bedroom and another just outside it all day and mask up well when outside of the bedroom I think you could get away with two just fine. They’re dang effective:

https://www.texairfilters.com/testi...article-levels/

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pingui posted:

There is this weird thing going on, where basic logic is being cast aside, because it hasn't been ~scientifically proven~. Idk if it is just the general alienation, if it is politics-brain, increased complexity and esotericity of research or some offshoot of Freakonomics, but its been a battle throughout the pandemic. I wish it was possible to incorporate presumptive defaults into statistics, because too often studies are simply underpowered to a statistical significant degree, which is invariably noted as "no effect", rather than a likely effect that should be studied more rigorously and in depth.

As a recent example see the Paxlovid study for non-hospitalized veterans post 30 days, we know COVID fucks with cardiovascular health for this specific group and even at the tail-end we can see the positive effects, but the confidence intervals are too great and so the takeaway becomes "it doesn't work". But the biological mechanisms dictates that it works, the data shows a decrease on average even if the confidence intervals extend slightly across no effect and early studies demonstrate that they are looking at the tail-end of the event distribution - in aggregate it logically follows that it loving works.

It is immensely frustrating and completely detrimental to a scientific process imho.

Lies, damned lies and statistics, as they say

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
was contemplating whether to do Thanksgiving To Go this year since everyone seems to be over social distancing this year

friend messaged me about it just now

they have cancer, chemo is giving them a side effect that makes it difficult to walk, and everyone who was helping them with errands is going to be out of town

welp guess I’m not on the fence about it anymore

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

tuyop posted:

iirc, you’ve had a real hard go, thoguh. rest and recharge so you can keep up the good fight and so on.

Resting. Reffiting.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Hungry Squirrel posted:

When I had to do something like this recently, I just relied on air filters. I wore my respirator while they were here, calculated out the number of air changes per hour for my filters for the space they're in, and isolated in another room that the other people hadn't been in until the filters had hit my desired metric.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

was contemplating whether to do Thanksgiving To Go this year since everyone seems to be over social distancing this year

friend messaged me about it just now

they have cancer, chemo is giving them a side effect that makes it difficult to walk, and everyone who was helping them with errands is going to be out of town

welp guess I’m not on the fence about it anymore

You're a good guy.

I'm just hoping I can have actual thanksgiving with my folks for the first time in 4 years. Though apparently my mom just had to go out to eat with a friend who flew in to town. So... fingers crossed. I do trust them to proper isolate and test for at least a week beforehand, as long as they don't catch anything before that.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Hungry Squirrel posted:

As others said good outdoor air circulation will be the best, but you could also get some Lysol Air Sanitizer. Their tests say it kills 99.9% of airborne viruses (including coronavirus) in 12 minutes.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
edit: already answered my bad.

https://i.imgur.com/70JUS6F.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/ZJQsH8l.mp4

Fansy has issued a correction as of 06:24 on Nov 5, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Real Mean Queen posted:

I think it's just where we're headed from now on. You see it everywhere now, there's this very "well you'd better have a study backing up every word in that sentence, and I'd better like them" approach to everything, because the wrong people figured out that this is an easy way to not get things done. It works, too

Sneak preview:

Platystemon posted:

Breaking news: FDA discovers that new hires have mistakenly been given the OSS field manual on sabotage, rather than the intended handbook.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

i love you

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Phlag posted:

As others said good outdoor air circulation will be the best, but you could also get some Lysol Air Sanitizer. Their tests say it kills 99.9% of airborne viruses (including coronavirus) in 12 minutes.

You could also get a Hypochlorous acid generator and use it in an ultrasonic cold humidifier or a spray mister.

The NIH has a write up about it here. It sounds like the lysol spray is basically HOCI with some scent added to it. The generator above can be run for 2 cycles to create HOCI that is strong enough to kill Covid. Make sure you follow the instructions and test for both Ph and Chlorine levels with the provided test strips that come with the device. Only use a cold humidifier if you want to do that as heating up HOCI can create chlorine gas.

It's completely save to breath, touch, and even ingest but it does have a very slight chlorine smell. Also since salt is one of the ingredients I wouldn't put the humidifier close to any electronics as over time it can corrode metals.

Running the generator for one cycle makes a great surface sanitizer and I don't know if they do it anymore but when I bought mine a few years back it came with a small jar of potassium carbonate as well which if you use instead of salt will make a really good grease cutter for kitchen surfaces.

edit: of you get the spray mister bottle make sure you get an opaque one as light can break down the effectiveness of the HOCl over time.

GATOS Y VATOS has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Nov 5, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Nothing new, bunch of links in the article though.
"Cardiovascular Complications of COVID-19: A Scoping Review of Evidence"

https://www.cureus.com/articles/181791-cardiovascular-complications-of-covid-19-a-scoping-review-of-evidence#!/ posted:

Abstract
This scoping review sought to identify the nature and extent of clinical evidence regarding the acute and long-term cardiovascular complications associated with COVID-19. Forty-nine studies published between 2020 and 2023 were selected for review. The studies were divided into two groups. The referential group included 22 studies. The second group of 27 studies was used for a detailed review to assess the strength of the evidence. The aggregate evidence indicates that the most common cardiac complications associated with COVID-19 include but are not limited to acute pericarditis, acute myocardial injury, acute myocarditis, various arrhythmias, microvascular angiopathy, left ventricular dysfunction, heart failure, acute cardiac injury, and acute coronary syndrome. Clinical and epidemiological implications of the findings are investigated, and future research recommendations are proposed.
(..)
Conclusions
The severity, extent, and long-term cardiovascular effects of COVID-19 are yet to be fully understood by clinicians. Despite gradually accumulating evidence from clinical and observational studies, research on the acute and long-term cardiovascular implications of COVID-19 remains limited. There is also a need for more focus on the causative factors of cardiac complications associated with both acute and long-term COVID-19 as the academic and medical communities attempt to understand and develop effective treatment approaches. COVID-19 can have damaging severe long-term effects on a person’s quality of life. Overall, the currently available evidence suggests that COVID-19 is associated with a high risk of cardiovascular complications regardless of individual demographic characteristics or cardiovascular morbidities. Additionally, the evidence on long-term COVID-19 shows that practically all patients require ongoing follow-up and treatment even after utilizing a thorough method. Patients with severe COVID-19, those with multisystem inflammatory syndrome during or after COVID-19, those over 65, and those with underlying comorbidities like respiratory disease, obesity, diabetes, hypertension, chronic cardiovascular disease, chronic kidney disease, post-organ transplant, or active cancer should receive priority care, though, as these populations are at high risk for long-term cardiovascular implications.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Wifehole got her test2treat pax via FedEx yesterday. Ezpz salami in the bag

Exhort your friends and family.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lol

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

:quagmire:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
crosspost from doomsday econ

is the peeper reaper strain back

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mola Yam posted:

crosspost from doomsday econ

is the peeper reaper strain back

Maybe they had photokeratitis debt from not staring at the Sun recently.

Near future headline: CDC investigating possible link between keratitis outbreak and dogs

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
peeper reaper!? omg

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Post and comment from last week:

quote:

Not to mention those baggy blues aren't helping anyone. Get yourselves an N95 folks. If covid isn't something you take seriously, consider the rampant goddamned wildfire smoke that seems to be a pervasive part of everyday life for more and more of us. Seriously.

Show yourself.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Hospitalized patients from the first wave showing some oddities. Useful for biomarkers and possibly long term therapeutics. The four distinct recovery curves indicates some things heal relatively quickly, some things heal over a long time and some things do not heal fully.
"Probing long COVID through a proteomic lens: a comprehensive two-year longitudinal cohort study of hospitalised survivors"

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S2352-3964%2823%2900417-6 posted:

Summary
Background As a debilitating condition that can impact a whole spectrum of people and involve multi-organ systems, long COVID has aroused the most attention than ever. However, mechanisms of long COVID are not clearly understood, and underlying biomarkers that can affect the long-term consequences of COVID-19 are paramount to be identified.

Methods Participants for the current study were from a cohort study of COVID-19 survivors discharged from hospital between Jan 7, and May 29, 2020. We profiled the proteomic of plasma samples from hospitalised COVID-19 survivors at 6-month, 1-year, and 2-year after symptom onset and age and sex matched healthy controls. Foldchange of >2 or <0.5, and false-discovery rate adjusted P value of 0.05 were used to filter differentially expressed proteins (DEPs). In-genuity pathway analysis was performed to explore the down-stream effects in the dataset of significantly up- or down-regulated proteins. Proteins were integrated with long-term consequences of COVID-19 survivors to explore potential biomarkers of long COVID.

Findings The proteomic of 709 plasma samples from 181 COVID-19 survivors and 181 matched healthy controls was profiled. In both COVID-19 and control group, 114 (63%) were male. The results indicated four major recovery modes of biological processes. Pathways related to cell–matrix interactions and cytoskeletal remodeling and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and dilated cardiomyopathy pathways recovered relatively earlier which was before 1-year after infection. Majority of immune response pathways, complement and coagulation cascade, and cholesterol metabolism returned to similar status of matched healthy controls later but before 2-year after infection. Fc receptor signaling pathway still did not return to status similar to healthy controls at 2-year follow-up. Pathways related to neuron generation and differentiation showed persistent suppression across 2-year after infection. Among 98 DEPs from the above pathways, evidence was found for association of 11 proteins with lung function recovery, with the associations consistent at two consecutive or all three follow-ups. These proteins were mainly enriched in complement and coagulation (COMP, PLG, SERPINE1, SRGN, COL1A1, FLNA, and APOE) and hypertrophic/dilated cardiomyopathy (TPM2, TPM1, and AGT) pathways. Two DEPs (APOA4 and LRP1) involved in both neuron and cholesterol pathways showed associations with smell disorder.

Interpretation The study findings provided molecular insights into potential mechanism of long COVID, and put forward biomarkers for more precise intervention to reduce burden of long COVID.
(..)

(..)

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Pingui posted:

Hospitalized patients from the first wave showing some oddities. Useful for biomarkers and possibly long term therapeutics. The four distinct recovery curves indicates some things heal relatively quickly, some things heal over a long time and some things do not heal fully.
"Probing long COVID through a proteomic lens: a comprehensive two-year longitudinal cohort study of hospitalised survivors"

It's nice to at least have some data to point to; not to reopen the 'having thoughts about health without a doctorate' can of worms, if it can be avoided, but this always seemed like common sense when discussing a virus that can directly infect and indirectly impact so many different bodily systems at once. Very much in line with the discussion upthread about science, statistics, and the narrowing of what's considered acceptable conjecture towards the absurdity of demanding RCTs on parachutes.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
?

https://uk.pcmag.com/mobile-apps/149495/google-removes-covid-19-exposure-notification posted:

Google Removes COVID-19 Exposure Notification
The feature stopped working in most states months ago
Nov 05, 2023
:confuoot:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Shady Amish Terror posted:

It's nice to at least have some data to point to; not to reopen the 'having thoughts about health without a doctorate' can of worms, if it can be avoided, but this always seemed like common sense when discussing a virus that can directly infect and indirectly impact so many different bodily systems at once. Very much in line with the discussion upthread about science, statistics, and the narrowing of what's considered acceptable conjecture towards the absurdity of demanding RCTs on parachutes.
I agree. Trying to nail down PASC, is not dissimilar to trying to nail down cancer: What are the symptoms? - it depends. What is the cause of the symtoms? - it depends. What is the prognosis? - it depends. What is the cure? - it depends. We have to look at the different types to answer questions precisely.

Of course right now we can barely agree (and possibly haven't discovered), the different types of PASC. That is a large part of why it is so exciting to see the many different biomarkers discovered over the last ~6 months; it won't only help people suffering (though that is a big deal), but also help the scoping of the forms, to eventually and hopefully make some therapeutics.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
that was most of the gist of the DeathPanel podcast recently about that absurd Vinay Prasad opinion piece, the weaponization of uncertainty and authority against people who are suffering.

great thoughts, good articulation y'all

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Anyone dicknosing a surgical in a place where nobody else is wearing a mask is absolutely COVID positive, right?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Woodsy Owl posted:

Anyone dicknosing a surgical in a place where nobody else is wearing a mask is absolutely COVID positive, right?

Pretty much, yeah.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm shocked that there was a single contact tracing app technically functioning as late as a few months ago, tbh.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Shiroc posted:

Even if covid went away, I'd continue to run my air purifiers all the time because gently caress dust.

:yeah:

dusting is the worst and I love my big beautiful dust murdering cubes

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hypochlorous acid

Only use a cold humidifier if you want to do that as heating up HOCI can create chlorine gas.

I use hypochlorous acid as a facial treatment (good for adult acne) so I already buy it in bulk. Using it as a general surface or air spray is brilliant.

I'll research humidifier options, but my immediate thought is to get a funky color-changing diffuser from, like, Five Below.

I had no idea it was unsafe to heat. I've never had cause to heat it up, but it's really good to know.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Just as I'm coming off my rebound COVID my wife is now getting her rebound. This poo poo is amazing, why wouldn't you want it twice a year forever?

poo poo does rebound already count as twice?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I use hypochlorous acid as a facial treatment (good for adult acne) so I already buy it in bulk. Using it as a general surface or air spray is brilliant.

I'll research humidifier options, but my immediate thought is to get a funky color-changing diffuser from, like, Five Below.

I had no idea it was unsafe to heat. I've never had cause to heat it up, but it's really good to know.

Yeah I was surprised to learn that as well but fortunately cold humidifiers are common now. The hypochlorous acid you buy in bulk has chemicals that extend it's life in it- buying the generator is a chunk of change at first but it can save you a lot of money in the long run- running a liter and a half in it probably costs around 5¢

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Woodsy Owl posted:

Well if they weren't already they soon will be, lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

anyone in north LA need auras? my friend dumped two dozen on me for free

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

i lol every time

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Aussies older than 75 or with 'risk factors' are recommended to get another booster now if it's been > 6 months since last shot. Doesn't matter how many prior. It's not recommended if you don't have risk factors. Pretty sure you don't need a doctor's referral, just book and get jabbed.

I've had 5 shots total now, last was April, Pfizer ba.4-5. I don't think technically they think I have the risks. Should I just do it, get no. 6?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bald Stalin posted:

I've had 5 shots total now, last was April, Pfizer ba.4-5. I don't think technically they think I have the risks. Should I just do it, get no. 6?

I'm in pretty much the exact same situation, if I could get another booster any time soon I would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

RandomBlue posted:

Just as I'm coming off my rebound COVID my wife is now getting her rebound. This poo poo is amazing, why wouldn't you want it twice a year forever?

poo poo does rebound already count as twice?

For the purposes of Paxlovid prescriptions I believe it does, but technically it's the same initial infection.