Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/8677938a502a4a82a25030c346157532

Ended up trying to put a UR spells deck together. I think it might work? Still need to make a few more cuts. Maybe one of Hatching Plans/Into the Fae Court, though it feels like this deck needs its card draw? The catapults want sorceries, but Hatching Plans into Ice Out seems good lol. One of the dorky filler 2-drop bodies, but I do need defense? Beluna Grandsquall seems castable I think, but is it worth slotting lol? Maybe I just cut her and the Prism and run it

Edit: game 1 died 1 turn before decking because the opponent had 15 foods lmao
Beluna doesn't seem worth the risk of not being able to play it, or keeping a treasure for it instead of ramping. It's really just a 3 mana 4/4 that is unlikely to actually happen on turn 3.

Hatching Plans is very iffy with only 4 Bargain spells, one of which you actually don't really want to play (Diminisher Witch). However, there's a great solution: just splash Lightblades. It's a phenomenal spell, exactly what you need, and you have a free splash with the Bivouac! Which is also a great card to splash!

You can keep a Witch I guess, Bargaining the Plans is REALLY good. I think one Court is enough, you got Quick Study too after all.

Why do you think the Catapult wants Sorceries...?

Other comments: I'd cut Imodane (barely does anything), one of the packs (lowers curve and they're super off plan for you), and with two Catapults I'd absolutely play Sleight of Hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Currently 1-2, yeah I cut Beluna and Prophetic Prism and ran it.

The "catapults want sorceries" was referring to choosing between hatching plans (enchantment) and into the fae court (sorcery) in making the cuts, i ended up keeping them both in but i'm running into the issue where i am drawing cards but still just die because my nickel and diming isn't enough to get past the opponent's pile of food or they just draw into their bombs.

Imodane did win my last game with 3 to the face but it was definitely a "win more" situation so it could probably go.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Why remove cat?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Crab Dad posted:

Why remove cat?

the rakshasa being generic cat demons was something that d&d made up wholesale compared to their actual origins in Hindu mythology and it's a change being made to better reflect that culture

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Wanna comment on commons I think might be relevant in draft. Focusing on cards I haven't seen talked about (so e.g. no Envoy of Okinec Ahau, which is obviously great). Draft archetypes for reference.

This was surprisingly good in WOE when it was green and gave reach. LCI has "tap an untapped creature/artifact" as the Boros archetype. You can use this to generate a surprise blocker which you tapped for a cool effect on your turn - most of those effects are sorcery speed, so this might have a lot more utility than just an already proven to be decent combat trick!

One of those cards. For me, however, this falls into a line of lots of similar creatures we've seen recently that start as Hill Giants and need a lot of work to grow. This can tap itself when coming down and start growing immediately, so maybe it's gonna be better than e.g. Lat-Nam Adept. Let's see!

Always worth being aware of this effect existing, and how much it costs. 4 is a lot, too!

Vigilance might be more relevant than it seems if the self-tap archetype works. Also, carries Equipment well if some of them turn out to be playable, especially the ones where you have to tap the equipped creature for.

Also worth being aware of, and that it costs 1 more in contrast to the 4 damage spell

I think that's a fair rate and cool effect. Could be well relevant even in a different archetype, e.g. the UW artifact control one, just to hold the line. We'll have to see how stats line up, as in which 4-power creatures will turn out to be surprise hits and make this one worse.

All W containing archetypes want this (maybe GW the least). Could be very relevant glue!

White summary

Seen a lot of obvious support for WR and WU, some for WB (sacrifice) with the gnome-makers, less for GW ("buffs aggro"), though I didn't mention the great-looking Glorifier of Suffering which should count (but also sacs, so it extends to WB). Maybe B and G will pick up the slack there!

I really like this especially in contrast to the same card in Kaldheim, because this set doesn't seem to be a somewhat slow just play all the good things format, so the trick part is more relevant, and it's an artifact, which is a huge boon.

This is a lot of things at once (Artifact, Pirate, Vigilance creature) so it might be a great pickup for any kind of deck. The ramp could also be well worth it.

This could be a key Descent enabler, it could also be useless. Let's see

One of the better equipments I've seen, but probably only for the Pirates artifacts archetype (UR).

Is the small cost and the ability to animate something worth playing this card? Idk but don't let it catch ya!

Note that you can just mill 3 which is potentially huge, but also setting up the next draw with the best card of 3 is pretty good. 3/2 has often been a terrible body in recent memory, but it might turn out to be perfectly acceptable with a good etb

One in a long line of those. Is a Pirate and seems well-supported, so...maybe!

This is a card that might be good if the stats line up well overall, it might also be absolutely heinous. Will have to see.

Blue summary

Lots of "idk" cards here. None of the archetypes seem particularly well supported. It reminds me a little of ONE, where U did noncreature spells, artifacts, oil counters and poison synergies and was thus stretched so thin as to be useless. For LCI, we have Descent, Pirate artifact aggro, Artifact control, and Explore - those don't have much overlap except for the Artifacts part. And it might still be awkward - Oaken Siren isn't really an aggressive card (wears equipment well though, so let's see). I particularly don't want to play high cost low rate creatures like Frilled Cave-Wurm, Didact Echo and Marauding Brinefang, those seem like they have no good place in any deck. Happy to be wrong though.

A similar card was really good in MOM, also was an instant, however MOM was hella full of bombs to bring back. In a "normal" powered set, this might be much less exciting.

This seems like it could slot into a lot of decks - both BU and BG really want it, but it's not terrible in the other two either. Something to watch out for!

Seems like a great bear with upside - fine early, great late, what else do you want?

This was great when it made a Treasure, Map is less exciting, however this can instantly put you over a Descend threshold and trigger, well, Descent. So it might work as a trick! Love it

This is very interesting to me because it's extremely flexible. Saves your creature against a killspell, great. Put this on an attacker to push damage? Absolutely. Trade up and get your creature back? Amazing. And once it's done its job, it's a permanent in the GY. Really like it!

Reminds me of Testament Bearer in ONE. Costs more but also has more power - one of those "let's see how sizing lines up in the end" cards. If this trades with key big boys, excellent. If it keeps dying to lovely 2/X attackers, well then not so great.

First cycler I like because the rate is fine, the etb could be well relevant, and contrary to W in particular, B really wants stuff in the GY so it's cool to cycle this early.

Joins a long line of "awesome art but I really don't want to be forced to play this" high cost removal. At least this one's splashable!

brutal imo. You want this in every B deck like you wanted Court Official, Virus Beetle and Nezumi Informant before.

Instant speed and a seemingly good supply of fodder makes this a lot more attractive than other cards of its type we've seen before. Artifact upcycling + descend/t synergies are huge imo

Black summary

Black is razor-focused on Descent, with literally all archetypes doing that (WB is sacrifice but that also triggers descend stuff). This means that the color is deep for synergy, and can support more drafters going for it. I think it will be very good, with lots of key cards for many different decks on offer.

Not super into the idea of this only working on attack and it being a 2/3 blocker when it comes down. If this is the kind of card the UR deck wants, I don't know how good it'll be in the end.

As far as Hill Giants with Growth Potential goes, this one's pretty good! First of all, not a Hill Giant (got a keyword), second of all, it's a great keyword for a growing boy, thirdly, descending seems well supported in many colors. Especially black, which as I just noted seems good. Might be a key player as an aggro finisher!

This statline has been iffy before, but it's also a Dino and an Artifact. Might push it over the line into "quite good actually". Etb - whatever, dunno.

Hastegivers have rarely if ever been good, but this one is special because it can actually attack for 3 immediately. Also, giving haste is free which is not a given. And it's an artifact. Maybe this has potential, wouldn't bank on it tho

How will this compare to the very playable Redcap Thief with the mirrored statline? This set doesn't seem like it'll reward splashing much, so one strike against it. 3/2, not the best overall - it's a pirate, but is that really that relevant? Tentative maybe.

This seems a lot better late than the other landcyclers we've seen (though the B one isn't terrible either as mentioned). These flood insurance effects can be very very good in grindier builds. Of the intended archetypes, R only really does that with G (if you count "big boys" grindy, I guess), but it might also be fine as a smoother/finisher in more aggro builds. Also, aggro isn't always aggro; if the format overall is a bit slower, this goes up in value.

This hits basically Golems and not much else from what I've seen (is there really only a single fungus-maker at common?). Probably won't be relevant.

I really liked Hangar Scrounger in MOM, especially in the Convoke deck. As the RW archetype seems extremely well supported here with a lot of cards just decent on their own (hell, this one can just attack, it's fine), I rate this highly.

Red summary

Red seems...fine, with few obvious standouts. We've seen in the other colors that even "aggro" archetypes aren't really all that aggressive in the common suite, and red follows a similar slant at first glance. Note that many cards like Tomb-Raider, Burning Sun Cavalry and Brazen Blademaster only "turn on" with some other criteria met. So I can see e.g. a UR aggro deck with mostly commons, but it's a bit dicey - you don't want your cards to NOT get a buff from artifacts, so you need those artifacts. Bit risky!

Also noted: both B and R removal at common is relatively weak. Dead Weight is great because it's a permanent, but it's also just -2. Join the Dead is hard to splash and "only" -5 without Descent. Ray of Ruin is clunky. Abrade is great; Rumbling Rockslide is clunky. Sunfire Torch is clunky. Idol of the Deep King is clunky. All playable, but imo a big step down from WOE bangers like Torch the Tower, Candy Grapple, Cut In.

Might be playable even without the bonus, but borderline. Dunno if this'll only be GR useful or work as an okay curve-filler with occasional upside too.

I think GB will be super happy with this as an early blocker vs late beater

Interesting that we have a surprise blocker in both U and G. This is a Dino! It has reach! Works as a finisher or even early removal! I am willing to consider this.

Apparently a functional reprint? Never saw the old version in action. I'm super happy with a power boosting bite instant at common, though. Especially with the big creatures we can expect G to have here.

Not sure if this is going to be worth it. At least it's an instant, but 3 mana is a lot, and 4 cards isn't that many. It DOES put stuff in the GY tho - that could be very very good in the end!

Looks deeper, no GY tho - boo! It'll probably be a key card for Caves, does e.g. Dino ramp want it? Probably not.

That's a surprisingly powerful spider with a worthwhile etb for GB. Note that only GB cares about the GY of G's archetypes!

The modality here is key, I think most G decks want this, especially the Explore GU one ofc but this can also give you land drops for dinos, fuel the GY...or, you know, destroy a pesky gnome.

Deathbloom Gardener was a bit of a whatever, but sometimes useful card in DMU. This doesn't always have Deathtouch, but at 2 mana, ramp + fixing, much less incidental 1 toughness hate than in WOE and sneaky reach, I see this as a key card in at least GR.

This is a very format average dependent creature. Is 4/2 fine or terrible? Is 3/1 accetable if you get the land you need? Dunno yet. Could be great in GW tho, if that archetype cares about counters enough.

Always keep this in mind when deciding how to block late and low on life.

Green summary

There's a lot of creatures in G that are fine but not particularly exciting (4 mana 4/3 explore. 5 mana 5/4 trample, descend upside. 6 mana 7/7 scry etb and that increasingly common can't be blocked by small things effect). Some of them are Dinosaurs, but there's not that much synergy at common. Some explore, some are okay on rate but nothing as exciting as e.g. Jewel Thief was. The good news is that apart from GB, which has natural support with how flexible Explore is and some direct one as well as a LOT in B, the G archetypes don't actually need to be super synergistic. Dinos can be fine on-rate creatures with some kindred upside. GW uh "buffs aggro" also only needs on-rate creatures, who cares if it's a cat a merfolk or a dino. Exploring is always good, but that means that an explore deck will have naturally fine creatures without them needing payoffs to be good. So I think Green decks will be fine, and you'll probably have the biggest issue early on when seeing G open - do I take the mill spider, or the explorer Merfolk, or the Dino? They're all fine, which is better? Time will tell.

Didn't see a particularly noteworthy artifact.

Overall summary

Some archetypes seem to have much clearer identities at common than others. All black-based ones are crystal clear and have a strong selection of B cards as their backbone. RW seems like you could go for an excellent deck just with commons; UR is a bit iffy but could get there. Blue seems thin overall though, but that might change a lot with the Uncommons in the mix. A bit risky, maybe. Red looks a bit weak, but should be excellent support for the strong W and B cards while being a fine partner for G. G in general is decent if unexciting and either a great secondary color or a strong 8th-13th pick one to fill out your deck with perfectly fine playables once you've had your fill of higher rarities in it and your secondary.

Sorry for the wall of text, I was having a cozy evening and just decided to collect some thoughts!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

1-3 again, last game I drew 6 lands in a row which I think qualifies as flooding, this loving sucks lol, i should just stop playing this set before it goes down as another one where I'm sub-50% WR lol.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Mardu vamps was already a sleeper tier2 deck, excited to see if it gets some playables this set, always loved white vampires as a concept

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Simply Simon posted:

Wanna comment on commons

The "Specialize" of posts

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

The "Specialize" of posts
thanks for your input

Simply Simon posted:

Did a ONE QD

https://www.17lands.com/draft/33d98eac2e08407295be68a67f02a4ec

I think that's the best build, barely scraping by. Hope I'm not running into too many RG goodstuff decks lol
I did not. In fact, I only saw a single mountain, splashing a Flamestoker. People, red is the best color in ONE. What's going on?!

Utterly bizarre spread if you have a general idea of the format. Anyway, as you can tell from 8 matches, I went 7-1 just running over everybody except for two fairly well-built Dimir decks (the fourth and second-to-last match) - they made me take 12 turns instead of 5-9 like the other games, and one stalled out at 9 Toxic counters while the other did not (flew over with a Siphoner I just couldn't block, they won at 2 life).

Pro tip for anyone also doing a few QDs: don't draft blue. Be very careful with black. Draft more red. Or just do cheap aggro creatures, seemed to work just fine!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Simply Simon posted:

Sorry for the wall of text, I was having a cozy evening and just decided to collect some thoughts!

Useful thanks

x/1s definitely seem more questionable than usua to mel this set given the number of playable 1/2 for 1 creatures meaning you'll very often just not be able to attack without trading down, and doubly so given the existence of Cogwork Wrestler at common being a hilariously perfect answer to a 3/1 attacker.

E: also is it just me or are the colours on the set symbols for this set way harder to parse than most sets? I'm really struggling to distinguish anything other than Mythic on Scryfall and I keep looking at stuff and going 'woah that's a common?!' and then clicking in and finding it's rare lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Useful thanks

x/1s definitely seem more questionable than usua to mel this set given the number of playable 1/2 for 1 creatures meaning you'll very often just not be able to attack without trading down, and doubly so given the existence of Cogwork Wrestler at common being a hilariously perfect answer to a 3/1 attacker.
That is a fair point. I've noticed over the last few sets that it's very hard to give a definite "this will be good" estimate for creatures that aren't obviously great because of etb/super on rate - for example, maybe it turns out that Wrestler is barely playable because the UW archetype actually sucks and you really want to go huge with Dinos as well. Then a 3/1 is much better, because it can block and trade with some dinos! However, if Dinos turn out to be a little eh, then the value of smaller efficient creatures that duke it out with others of their kind goes higher. It's fascinating stuff to watch evolve, still worth trying to predict tho imo. Good exercise.

quote:

E: also is it just me or are the colours on the set symbols for this set way harder to parse than most sets? I'm really struggling to distinguish anything other than Mythic on Scryfall and I keep looking at stuff and going 'woah that's a common?!' and then clicking in and finding it's rare lol
It's a very common complaint. The outline is very thick, so you barely see the Silver of the uncommons or the gold of the rares. The Commons have a white spot to help distinguish them better, but early on not many of them were spoiled, so that was even more confusing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
:o there's a 2 mana draw 2 in this set lol

that'sa beast given the presence of a 1 mana 1/1 flyer. T1 Spyglass Siren T2 Chart a Course is a heck of a start. SImilarly T2 Deeproot Pilgrimage (for constructed, it's a rare, ffs, also the Sirens aren't Merfolk, which I'm sure some things called Siren have been, jeez). The former also works with Cogwork Wrestler, i feel like that's gonna rate super high

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 4, 2023

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Simply Simon posted:

Blue summary

Lots of "idk" cards here. None of the archetypes seem particularly well supported. It reminds me a little of ONE, where U did noncreature spells, artifacts, oil counters and poison synergies and was thus stretched so thin as to be useless. For LCI, we have Descent, Pirate artifact aggro, Artifact control, and Explore - those don't have much overlap except for the Artifacts part. And it might still be awkward - Oaken Siren isn't really an aggressive card (wears equipment well though, so let's see). I particularly don't want to play high cost low rate creatures like Frilled Cave-Wurm, Didact Echo and Marauding Brinefang, those seem like they have no good place in any deck. Happy to be wrong though.

Blue looks really good in this set, and you made no mention of Wind Drake + Map or U1 Unsummon + map which are probably the best blue commons, with Grappler in the mix.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Blue looks really good in this set, and you made no mention of Wind Drake + Map or U1 Unsummon + map which are probably the best blue commons, with Grappler in the mix.
I have no idea how good a map is going to be, so that's all I'd have written about the Drake. I started writing about the Unsummon and came to the same conclusion so I scrapped it lol

Note that I have literally never played an Explore card in my life. I have no grasp on how good it plays at all.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
All hail my new build around: Torens, Fist of the Angels. It is my new favorite combo with Ozilith and botanical brawler.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Anyone have any fun lists for low-ban historic?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

temur druid. dont get fooled by all the flashy combos in the format. stack your deck with spell pierces and snapcasters and make dont let the other guy play the game

3 Counterspell
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Brainstorm
4 Mishra's Bauble
3 Breeding Pool
3 Stomping Ground
4 Steam Vents
3 Spell Pierce
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Soul-Scar Mage
2 Ketria Triome
1 Fiery Islet
1 Riverglide Pathway
4 Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer
4 Expressive Iteration
1 Otawara, Soaring City
3 Questing Druid

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

Here is my updated 29 land field list: Deck

Really broken and tons of fun. Updates include embracing the Capenna fetches (they are fantastic) and cobbling together a workable manabase. The Assemble the Teams seem to be patching a hole the deck had quite well, and finding a Pact of Negation with one is quite devilish.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
So I got another (lucky?) ONE quickdraft where I got Atraxa right off the bat and figured I might as well try to make her work unless some big red spell came up, which it didn't, and then I got a couple more pretty good cards (Glissa and Nissa), so I proceeded to try and make a deck that could support a 4 color creature and the other two: https://www.17lands.com/deck/228bf8e61bee4b2e87c2c96102c1c974

I've gone 3 rounds so far.
The first, Nissa came out and wrecked the place (after wasting 2 life trying to figure out how to cast her and how to count).
The second I got Glissa out on T3 and got some card draw value before she was removed and then rushed down my opponent with my own removal keeping things clear for me.
The third my opponent conceded pretty early after I got Glissa out on T3, opponent then removing her with Annex Sentry, and then me getting Glissa back after coming out on top of a combat trick exchange on T4.

So those were exciting and I'm happy to at least go 50/50 with this strange deck, but if anyone wants to weigh in on the deck/sideboard (or how I drafted as well), I'm all ears. Maybe Glissa and Nissa can just carry me and Atraxa will remain hidden.

I'm kind of leaning towards getting rid of Atraxa completely and trying to rely on Glissa/Nissa and what is otherwise a more anemic WBG poison deck, but for now my thinking is since I only have 7 poison creatures, it's not worth going all-in on poison/corruption, so I'll just use them as fodder and to stall until I get the bombs out.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
is there a way to play a second deck in noban historic or are you stuck with the first one you entered with (it's looking like I'm stuck???)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Kurash posted:

Really broken and tons of fun. Updates include embracing the Capenna fetches (they are fantastic) and cobbling together a workable manabase. The Assemble the Teams seem to be patching a hole the deck had quite well, and finding a Pact of Negation with one is quite devilish.
This deck is really fun, thanks!

BasicLich posted:

is there a way to play a second deck in noban historic or are you stuck with the first one you entered with (it's looking like I'm stuck???)
Just click on your deck above the "Play" button and you can change it.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
https://mtgazone.com/historic-no-banned-list-event-guide-and-decklists/

The grixis "death shadow" one i'm vibing with. No actual death's shadow in it. Lurrus deck with DRC, ragavan, snap, counters, burn, discard, bow masters. Sauron's Ransom is sweet. Play pattern of Memory Lapse your thing to the top of your deck and then exiling it with Ragavan hit is hella satisfying.

Apparently this event is going till the 14th. Looking forward to trying that FotD deck. Anyone got a necropotence list?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

1-3 again, last game I drew 6 lands in a row which I think qualifies as flooding, this loving sucks lol, i should just stop playing this set before it goes down as another one where I'm sub-50% WR lol.

Green was extremely open and you immediately went into UR upon seeing a late familiar? Like U isn't completely unplayable but I would want to already have multiple counterspells or a rare bomb before going in that hard. Then you saw genealogist, scavenger, faun, genealogist, and curse of the werefox etc., none of which is hugely powerful ofc, but they're all very on rate cards, which is not something you can say for the majority of blue commons. The tail of end pack 1 seems like the perfect spot to figure out what's open and green is just substantially better than blue in a vacuum anyways.

This also held up through pack 3, with a disgusting number of great rares and uncommons, p5 and p6 glutton, a wheeled gingerbread hunter and p13 greta, by that point you could have 2 fauns and 1 or 2 utopia sprawl so a black splash was easy.

I didn't look at the games but I think this is definitely a case where you mishandled the actual draft. Maybe I would have missed it myself drafting under the constraints of the timer, but I don't consider myself good enough to buck the color tierlist so I absolutely don't think I would have gone that hard for blue without a very good reason.

Algid fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 5, 2023

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Kurash posted:

I didn't have a lot of success with this deck, but when it worked it worked well. Maybe I wasn't mulliganing right. Most games I had too many dead cards in hand because most of the manabase is colorless and doesn't seem to work on its own

e: I had trouble playing natural order into Atraxa a lot because getting 2GG wound up being difficult and because Natural Order is a common target for Duress, Spell Pierce and Thoughtsieze

e2: been seeing a RDW build that takes out just about anything I've been trying out

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 5, 2023

Kurash
May 12, 2008

BasicLich posted:

I didn't have a lot of success with this deck, but when it worked it worked well. Maybe I wasn't mulliganing right. Most games I had too many dead cards in hand because most of the manabase is colorless and doesn't seem to work on its own

e: I had trouble playing natural order into Atraxa a lot because getting 2GG wound up being difficult and because Natural Order is a common target for Duress, Spell Pierce and Thoughtsieze

e2: been seeing a RDW build that takes out just about anything I've been trying out

Yeah mulliganing is pretty important. I say I channeled Kami of Bamboo Groves nearly every time I had another first turn play. I also would only ever Natural Order out Atraxa first against aggro decks that were directly threatening a win, otherwise it was always Primeval Titan. The nature of the deck is that being run out of resources but having 5 lands on turn 3 is a playable position where any good top deck still gets you there immediately, and still having inevitability with Field if all you can manage is putting lands into play.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

odinson posted:

https://mtgazone.com/historic-no-banned-list-event-guide-and-decklists/

The grixis "death shadow" one i'm vibing with. No actual death's shadow in it. Lurrus deck with DRC, ragavan, snap, counters, burn, discard, bow masters. Sauron's Ransom is sweet. Play pattern of Memory Lapse your thing to the top of your deck and then exiling it with Ragavan hit is hella satisfying.

Apparently this event is going till the 14th. Looking forward to trying that FotD deck. Anyone got a necropotence list?

People seem to scoop a lot to memory lapse. Had it happen a few times with this one as well as the UW control list from there.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Went 7-2 on my first(quick) ONE draft. Blightbelly rat was MVP. At least two games had my opponent miscalculating and attacking into poison lethal and in other games they essentially acted as a guaranteed poison counter to end the game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Did another ONE QD

https://www.17lands.com/draft/39f2162777874350be14e94cb0ef911f

My rares were insane, and all on color, super happy. I think the card pool ended up being phenomenal, with only the Shrapnel Slingers being somewhat questionable, but I'm not cutting two-drops. However, a somewhat interesting deckbuilding challenge:

My thoughts from the Discord:

"I think splashing the War-Whip is way worth it because for once, it's actually pretty easy - I want to play Dune Mover anyway, Roots fits with the Oil stuff, and an Expanse is nice because I'm barely G anyway so that helps a lot
However, I could also play the Prism, I could also splash Hoverwings, and cut both Cultivater + Roots because I'm unlikely to have G early
Then the next question: do I even cut the Vorracs and play the worse Skywarden + idk Centurion?Splitter? And simply double-splash G and W for Migloz and the two Equipments?"

Thoughts?

EDIT: after a discussion with barry shitpeas on the discord, I'll try it with -1 Roots -1 Skullbomb +1 Hoverwings +1 Growth

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 5, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Played it out so I wouldn't run into the deadline on Monday. Welp, that was a 2-3

Lost against a Dimir opp with a Kaito - I was always just a bit short of handling it (especially after they had a counterspell up for my Strider). Lost against a curveout GW deck with a shaky hand - it almost worked, but they kept having just one more creature, one more answer. And finally, they had a Archfiend Turn 4...but they actually blocked when I swung out and I could kill it with Titanic Growth! They were out of cards, I played Migloz...they untap and play Eternal Wanderer. Come the gently caress on.

The board was empty except for their 1/2 flier (I could even shoot the Wanderer with the dying Scamp), but then I drew three lands and they three creatures including a 6/6.

A bit frustrating, not gonna lie. But what can you do! At least I got a Skrelv's Hide in the boosters.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone got a good historic control deck that I can climb ladder with? Preferably black

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

bowmore posted:

Anyone got a good historic control deck that I can climb ladder with? Preferably black

Spirits rocks.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

waloo posted:

People seem to scoop a lot to memory lapse. Had it happen a few times with this one as well as the UW control list from there.

MTG:A sucks in this way in general, the best-of-one format doesn't teach you how to sideboard but it does reward you with another game to get a godhand.

I haven't seriously played for uhhh like 15+ years now before doing a no-pay run in MTG:A but I did notice that Protection From basically doesn't exist anymore so it's much harder to build a sideboard or a hate deck. I've been losing to red and black playing a white deck because there's no hate anymore. the woke mob killed white hate in MTG

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

go on

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
https://www.17lands.com/draft/3a8f74ca7aff4ff7b3609ddcd4874591

What does the thread think, is this a good draft for Bo3? I like green and so was sad to see p3p4 Hamlet and p3p5 Greta - I don't really like white, and I get shoehorned into Boros more often in Bo3, I feel like. Still, seems like the best I could have done, no?

Am 1-0 in matches so far... anything I am missing on the deck buildout?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Definitely play archon's glory, probably over guide? I don't think I've ever seen that played, you don't really want your celebration payoff to be a 4 drop.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Ultimatefire posted:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/3a8f74ca7aff4ff7b3609ddcd4874591

What does the thread think, is this a good draft for Bo3? I like green and so was sad to see p3p4 Hamlet and p3p5 Greta - I don't really like white, and I get shoehorned into Boros more often in Bo3, I feel like. Still, seems like the best I could have done, no?

Am 1-0 in matches so far... anything I am missing on the deck buildout?

I don't like Courtier at all, at the moment you also only have 5 ways of turning it on. Yes, it is two things for Celebration, but I don't think it's worth playing - or picking fifth, I'd have taken Grapple there, just because it's by far the best card in the pack and can be splashed.

Before I get to the draft, you should play Archon's Glory - it's really good - Spearguard is also a great performer in the aggressive decks, I'd cut Tuinvale Guide (generally p bad), and probably Skewer Slinger. You can consider boarding in the second Sage and the Frostbridge Guard for matchups where you have to match their aggression, or where you feel like you have to win super quickly so you absolutely need a 2drop.

Apart from P1P5 as mentioned above:
P1P6: I value Cooped Up higher than the Bolt - cheaper, more synergy with your (projected) colors

P2P2: Neva isn't really good, I don't want to take her for a splash. I have been super happy with Return Triumphant, is my pick here
P2P7: I never want to play Savior. This is a spot where I pick up Guide, just in case I want to splash

P3P2: I assume this is a raredraft? I don't want to splash a 2drop (even though it's quite good). Rage is really good, my pick here
P3P5: Tough one. This is where I count my creatures and see if I can afford to pick a spell instead. You don't have any synergy with Celebrant except picking up the Mice or a Prism (if you play it), so Cut In is very attractive

Otherwise I'm fine with your picks and think you navigated the draft well!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

BasicLich posted:

MTG:A sucks in this way in general, the best-of-one format doesn't teach you how to sideboard but it does reward you with another game to get a godhand.

I haven't seriously played for uhhh like 15+ years now before doing a no-pay run in MTG:A but I did notice that Protection From basically doesn't exist anymore so it's much harder to build a sideboard or a hate deck. I've been losing to red and black playing a white deck because there's no hate anymore. the woke mob killed white hate in MTG

What? You still sideboard in specific cards against specific decks,

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BasicLich posted:

it's much harder to build a sideboard

probably because

BasicLich posted:

I haven't seriously played for uhhh like 15+ years now

(but yes, white hate decks aren't really a thing in modern card design. they've decided it's not very fun to not be able to play the game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

I actually love this historic no-ban format, this feels like a broken deck from the 90s. Sacrificing Necropotence to bargain Beseech the Mirror feels incredibly dirty.