Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

well why not posted:

Bringing back the black echoes 2007 era black poly MacBook

That thing was great until the plastic started to crack and fall apart on the wrist rest area after a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

That thing was great until the plastic started to crack and fall apart on the wrist rest area after a few years.

one of my biggest regrets as an erstwhile Mac collector was procrastinating on Apple’s free topcase replacement program in ~2009-2010 and then procrastinating on the extension of the paid (~$130) topcase replacement program until like 2012/2013 until those replacements all disappeared, so my 2007 Blackbook has still got its original cracked wrist rests.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
A friend ordered The 16" M3P with 36GB of memory but wants to know if anyone has experience running docker with the M series and how well it works now. Is anyone currently experienced with the latest versions of Docker? Will it be easy enough to build/deploy X64 images locally?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

FlapYoJacks posted:

A friend ordered The 16" M3P with 36GB of memory but wants to know if anyone has experience running docker with the M series and how well it works now. Is anyone currently experienced with the latest versions of Docker? Will it be easy enough to build/deploy X64 images locally?

I've never had need to run Docker on my Mac (got a server for that), but OrbStack looks really promising

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

101 posted:

I've never had need to run Docker on my Mac (got a server for that), but OrbStack looks really promising

This seems almost too good to be true. I've been reading reviews of it and it seems like it's a unicorn application. Modern, free, fast, well put together, and does exactly what it claims to do? Once he gets his MBP he is going to give it a go and will report back.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Podman also works on AS if you just want a "better" version of Docker (can re-use the same config file, iirc).

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Docker Desktop works fine. You can run x64 images with a small performance hit and cross build for any platform and OS.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Now that it implements Rosetta, it's much better (note you still have to enable this manually under experimental options). Earlier it used QEMU and some stuff would barf on that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Docker via Qemu is more than a little slow, it's dog slow and painful if you actually do anything computationally intensive in the containers, like compiling a bunch of native code. I haven't checked out docker via Rosetta, but Rosetta doesn't support AVX2 so you may run into compatibility issues if the software wants to use AVX2, which has been present on pretty much all CPUs since Haswell in 2013.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

reviews inbound.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/11/review-apples-16-inch-m3-max-macbook-pro-crams-ultra-level-speed-into-a-laptop/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Like anyone cares, but Open Core Legacy Patcher v.1.2.0 was just released around lunchtime EDT.

It offers better handling of T1 hardware, resolves video output on 4K 2017 iMacs, resolves Photos crashing, resolves some 14.2 beta issues, resolves some issues where you couldn't get past the login window after installing it, and a bunch of other niggling little issues.

One guy on Reddit said his 2012 Mini now runs with a lower base CPU load than it did in 1.1..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 6, 2023

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
What kind of SD cards are best with these new MBPs, and do they fit flush?

I have a bunch of old files I like to carry around with me, but I don't use them on a day-to-day basis, so I'm wondering if putting them on an SD card would be a more cost effective (and cheaper) alternative to paying the upcharge for a bigger SSD (plus a longer wait).

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
They stick out of the side. I don’t think I’d feel comfortable leaving one in if I was carrying the computer around.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Regular SD cards stick out the side. However, there are models made specifically for flusher mounting for MBPs, e.g. the Transcend JetDrive.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

just picked up a 14" blackbook pro m3 pro to replace my 15" mid 2012 mbp.

the 2012 still works decently well but i replaced the battery (myself, what a pain in the rear end) and it still runs out of charge too quickly, and the right side usb/hdmi/sd inputs don't work which i dont feel like trying to replace myself or get repaired.

that was my first macbook/apple computer after being, up to that point, a lifelong pc user. it got me through some tough years and helped me change careers. i left it behind at an airport during a cross country adventure with friends and had it miraculously found and mailed back to me by TSA. had the screen replaced due to ghosting. and it is caked in band stickers.

def not getting rid of it but also a bit sentimental about it not being my "main" computer anymore. hoping this goony post makes sense to other people here and i'm not being a big loser about it lol.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Curious academic question. I'm about to pickup an Xbox Series X so my kid can play Stray (among other things for myself). Stray runs on Unreal Engine 4. It's also coming to Apple Silicon this December. What tier of Mac would I need to match the performance of Unreal Engine 4 on a Xbox Series X? This isn't to make an actual buying decision I'm just curious.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

ShoogaSlim posted:

just picked up a 14" blackbook pro m3 pro to replace my 15" mid 2012 mbp.

the 2012 still works decently well but i replaced the battery (myself, what a pain in the rear end) and it still runs out of charge too quickly, and the right side usb/hdmi/sd inputs don't work which i dont feel like trying to replace myself or get repaired.

that was my first macbook/apple computer after being, up to that point, a lifelong pc user. it got me through some tough years and helped me change careers. i left it behind at an airport during a cross country adventure with friends and had it miraculously found and mailed back to me by TSA. had the screen replaced due to ghosting. and it is caked in band stickers.

def not getting rid of it but also a bit sentimental about it not being my "main" computer anymore. hoping this goony post makes sense to other people here and i'm not being a big loser about it lol.
I’ve still got my G4 PowerBook (it even sort of still works) so you’re definitely not the only one who hangs onto old computers that were special to you.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Shaocaholica posted:

Curious academic question. I'm about to pickup an Xbox Series X so my kid can play Stray (among other things for myself). Stray runs on Unreal Engine 4. It's also coming to Apple Silicon this December. What tier of Mac would I need to match the performance of Unreal Engine 4 on a Xbox Series X? This isn't to make an actual buying decision I'm just curious.

Hard to say. The GPU architecture of the AS Macs are different enough that game engines have to be written specifically for them or the performance will be seriously lackluster.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of diagnosing this, every few days my Mac will suddenly grind to a total halt, windows become very slow to respond, moving between apps is next to impossible, and the system seems to be pushing a sisyphean rock up a hill for 6 minutes. Then suddenly stops as if nothing had happened.

It's really hard to track down because Activity monitor doesn't record it, and iStat simply says Kernel Task.

Any ideas?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Yeast posted:

Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of diagnosing this, every few days my Mac will suddenly grind to a total halt, windows become very slow to respond, moving between apps is next to impossible, and the system seems to be pushing a sisyphean rock up a hill for 6 minutes. Then suddenly stops as if nothing had happened.

It's really hard to track down because Activity monitor doesn't record it, and iStat simply says Kernel Task.

Any ideas?

vrm throttling?

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG
Went from a 2018 i7 15" to a 12c 14" Blackbook.

I don't know if I'm glad I waited; but this was certainly a leaps-and-bounds 5 year upgrade.

This thing is a monster. Lol that the default resolution is properly geriatrically large print. Turn that down one stop and go to town.

20 hours of battery life indicated on a full charge. Way better than the 4 I was lucky to get on the Intel because Arc calls and hangs onto the dGPU when doing Microsoft 2fa.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

mediaphage posted:

vrm throttling?

sorry to sound dumb, but after some googling is there anything I can do the change that?

This can be either working in a pro app or literally checking my emails.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Kibner posted:

Hard to say. The GPU architecture of the AS Macs are different enough that game engines have to be written specifically for them or the performance will be seriously lackluster.

I guess I’ll just have for wait a few weeks for the data to come out. What a time to be alive when you can have the same AAA games running natively on PC/Mac/console for comparison.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

don’t quote me on this but IIRC I saw loose comparisons between vanilla M1 to Series S a few years ago

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shaocaholica posted:

Roughly speaking, an M2 Pro with the 16/19 gpu cores (Xbox Series X @ 12.1 Tflops vs ~13.6 Tflops for the 19gpu core M2 Pro).

NOTE: if the game isn't optimised for Apple Silicon or the Metal graphics .api, performance will be considerably lower.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Roughly speaking, an M2 Pro with the 16/19 gpu cores (Xbox Series X @ 12.1 Tflops vs ~13.6 Tflops for the 19gpu core M2 Pro).

NOTE: if the game isn't optimised for Apple Silicon or the Metal graphics .api, performance will be considerably lower.

He's probably better off just using Xbox's gamestreaming functionality, which can be used on anything. One of my friend does all his gaming on his iPhone nowadays.

Plus you'd be buying the game twice for native playback.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

For reference, I have an M1 Air that I use to play Final Fantasy XIV occasionally. At native resolution, I'm barely able to hit 30 FPS at minimum settings. It isn't a Metal specific port (and is instead being run through an emulation layer), but given FFXIV can run on a toaster (including the PS3 (before support was dropped)/PS4) you'll probably need at least better than an M1 Air to run Stray. Especially, pessimistically, if it ends up running through an emulation layer too.

If this is strictly about finding hardware so your kid can play Stray, to be blunt, I'd probably just go with an XBox Series X. Finance it through one of Microsoft's partners and you get Game Pass Ultimate to get your kid a bunch of free games to play while you're otherwise paying the hardware off.

If this is strictly about finding hardware you can use that can also let your kid play Stray...you might need to wait until Stray actually releases on Mac. As a comparison, the recent Resident Evil Village ports haven't been too impressive running natively on Mac hardware. Stray is likely less intensive, performance wise, but... :shrug:

[Edit] Even hypothetically, wait for the game to launch and, hopefully, reviews to come out to determine if it even runs well on Mac. Just being an Unreal Engine 4 game guarantees nothing about performance given a certain range of hardware, especially for bad implementations.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 8, 2023

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

For reference, I have an M1 Air that I use to play Final Fantasy XIV occasionally. At native resolution, I'm barely able to hit 30 FPS at minimum settings. It isn't a Metal specific port (and is instead being run through an emulation layer), but given FFXIV can run on a toaster (including the PS3 (before support was dropped)/PS4) you'll probably need at least better than an M1 Air to run Stray. Especially, pessimistically, if it ends up running through an emulation layer too.

If this is strictly about finding hardware so your kid can play Stray, to be blunt, I'd probably just go with an XBox Series X. Finance it through one of Microsoft's partners and you get Game Pass Ultimate to get your kid a bunch of free games to play while you're otherwise paying the hardware off.

If this is strictly about finding hardware you can use that can also let your kid play Stray...you might need to wait until Stray actually releases on Mac. As a comparison, the recent Resident Evil Village ports haven't been too impressive running natively on Mac hardware. Stray is likely less intensive, performance wise, but... :shrug:

[Edit] Even hypothetically, wait for the game to launch and, hopefully, reviews to come out to determine if it even runs well on Mac. Just being an Unreal Engine 4 game guarantees nothing about performance given a certain range of hardware, especially for bad implementations.

Not sure if you're already doing this for XIV but there's a mac version out there that runs way better than the stuff SE has: https://www.xivmac.com/

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Not sure if you're already doing this for XIV but there's a mac version out there that runs way better than the stuff SE has: https://www.xivmac.com/

Yep I'm already using that. It runs better but not by much. It basically amounts to running the game under a newer version of Wine than the official release.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Corb3t posted:

He's probably better off just using Xbox's gamestreaming functionality, which can be used on anything. One of my friend does all his gaming on his iPhone nowadays.

Plus you'd be buying the game twice for native playback.

Yeah, the gamepass tier with cloud streaming is def the way to go.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
In my experience any game that has actually been released as an AS native app runs astonishingly well - see World of Warcraft, or Baldurs gate 3. Even games that run via Rosetta do a damned good job. It’s only once you start loving around with VMs or crossover or the game port toolkit that things are more variable, and even then you get surprisingly credible performance especially if you have a higher spec chip.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Kibner posted:

It's not quite as bad as "engine has to be written specifically". The section of a game engine that does 3D graphics has to have API calls translated from DX12 or Vulkan to Metal (or you can use MoltenVK as a shim for Vulkan code). This isn't too much, they're all broadly similar APIs, and Metal's the easiest of the three to work with. (By a lot, supposedly. No personal experience, but I've seen lots of graphics programmers who've used them all agree on this point.)

Once the basic porting work's done (doesn't have to be polished yet), you need to use Apple's GPU performance monitor tools to figure out where your engine bottlenecks itself on Apple GPUs. The fixes are generally stuff like "batch work in a slightly different way" or "let Metal know when you're actually done with a scratch buffer". Usually small tweaks, not major rewrite time.

For anyone who's been confused about what Apple's Game Porting Toolkit is about, this is what it's for. The problem with the above is that game devs have to invest time and money in a basic port before they even get to find out whether the engine will need a significant rewrite. It probably won't, but if they're new to Metal and Apple GPUs, they might not want to risk investing much up front. Enter the GPT - it lets devs in that position use Apple's Metal performance monitor tools on their existing Windows binaries to quickly and cheaply investigate where their 3D pipeline needs work, and estimate the costs.

Alternatively it may end up becoming Apple's Proton. The comparison is an obvious one, but right now the GPT doesn't have the thing which makes Proton truly Proton - a shitload of game-specific patches to help individual Windows games run well on alien Linux APIs.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
On the other hand the CPU portion of AS is an ARM-based RISC architecture while xbox and ps (e: and steam deck, but not switch) are now bog standard x86

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Apple needs to spend “Nintendo in 2017” money on getting a crop of good showcase AAA ports, in a timely fashion and with new games that aren’t years old on other platforms, and do it in a revenue-agnostic way where they’re not exclusive to the Mac App Store for $60 and never go on sale. They have to help bankroll these ports and be okay with publishers putting them on Steam and other ubiquitous storefronts, and if that means that somebody who owns the PC version gets free access to a Mac game then that’s good.

The money part is far and away the most trivial and doable for Apple, it’s everything else on the list that flies in the face of Apple’s MO

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

I'm a bit miffed that Diablo 4 never made it to MacOS.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

hypnophant posted:

On the other hand the CPU portion of AS is an ARM-based RISC architecture while xbox and ps (e: and steam deck, but not switch) are now bog standard x86

Jensen is eagerly licking his chops for Qualcomm’s Windows exclusivity agreement to expire so Nvidia can take a shot at becoming a GPU+CPU supplier outside of the server space.

You can bet on the Windows ARM race picking up real steam in 2025 onward. As long as PC integrators/manufacturers are stuck with a 25% battery life deficit, ounce for ounce, at best vs MacBooks there’s gonna be an eventual “by hook or by crook” tipping point moment before the end of the decade, and a decade from now a 50 year old Linus is gonna be reminiscing about the “bad old days” before gaming laptops all went to ARM.

glassyalabolas posted:

I'm a bit miffed that Diablo 4 never made it to MacOS.

one thing you and Whoopi Goldberg have in common

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apple needs to spend “Nintendo in 2017” money on getting a crop of good showcase AAA ports, in a timely fashion and with new games that aren’t years old on other platforms, and do it in a revenue-agnostic way where they’re not exclusive to the Mac App Store for $60 and never go on sale. They have to help bankroll these ports and be okay with publishers putting them on Steam and other ubiquitous storefronts, and if that means that somebody who owns the PC version gets free access to a Mac game then that’s good.

The money part is far and away the most trivial and doable for Apple, it’s everything else on the list that flies in the face of Apple’s MO

Baldur’s gate 3 is a very good start at least

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I was going to say. BG3 runs better on my M2 MBP than it does on my desktop with a 3080.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

You can bet on the Windows ARM race picking up real steam in 2025 onward.

I'm not surprised per se that it's taken so long for windows on arm to get going, but only because windows is such a poo poo product with no strategy. your chief competitor in the laptop market comes out with a product that devours your loving lunch and it takes you five years to react. clownshow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
What’s the verdict on Metro Exodus’s performance on Apple Silicon? IIRC it runs as a Rosetta app, but I’m wondering what the odds are that I could run it on a base M2 Max Studio around 1440p.