Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Even in SEED where the Archangel is specifically built to face off against Mobile Suits with a shitload of AA and general armaments, it's still hard-pressed to fend off a determined Gundam or two without the Strike to run interference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gaius Marius posted:

Also it makes no sense. If the ships actually had appropriate levels of AA we'd not see bullshit like the Sinanju v. Argama

In the seed episode I just watched they were firing turrets off everywhere, they just couldn't hit any mobile suits because lmao. Half the time one of the gundams would just fly up and shoot the cockpit which makes sense. The rest of the time the ginns would just fire off some hand held missiles and they'd explode which just makes me wonder how on earth any of these ships managed to last in any kind of war. Like, the war against zaft in seed is so hilariously one sided it's wild.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Bring some IBO bruiser ships into the fray and they could probably kill a Salamis just by ramming it.

Probably? Given the onscreen showings, I think one Halfbeak could solo most SEED fleets, no MS compliment needed. A ramming ship like the Hammerhead would just be funnier when doing it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Probably? Given the onscreen showings, I think one Halfbeak could solo most SEED fleets, no MS compliment needed. A ramming ship like the Hammerhead would just be funnier when doing it.

Tearing through a whole fleet before hitting a ship with PS and getting no selled

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Tearing through a whole fleet before hitting a ship with PS and getting no selled

Phase shift gets broken by kinetic force often enough to say it can work, and 50,000 tons moving at about 350 times the speed of sound at sea level is a lot of kinetic force.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You guys are nuts, the CE universe features a hard counter to any ship from the IBO universe.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nuebot posted:

In the seed episode I just watched they were firing turrets off everywhere, they just couldn't hit any mobile suits because lmao. Half the time one of the gundams would just fly up and shoot the cockpit which makes sense. The rest of the time the ginns would just fire off some hand held missiles and they'd explode which just makes me wonder how on earth any of these ships managed to last in any kind of war. Like, the war against zaft in seed is so hilariously one sided it's wild.

To be fair, the handheld missiles Ginns are shooting are absolutely loving titanic.

It doesn't seem terribly silly for a ship to eat poo poo when it's getting smashed by multiple missiles the size of mobile suits. Most of the pre-mobile suit mobile armors we see in CE aren't packing anything remotely like that, with the singular exception of the nuke Moebiuses which are war crime delivery services.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

The major factor in the war is that ZAFT does not have a very large number of pilots. The total population of Coordinators is (depending on sources) somewhere around 40 million. (So roughly the population of Tokyo.) Only a small number of those are able to be effective mobile suit pilots, to the point ZAFT was already starting to field children because they straight-up did not have enough available pilots otherwise.

Mobile suits + superhuman pilots + them dropping the Neutron Jammers means that ZAFT does have an absolutely overwhelming advantage but like Zeon before them that advantage only applies until the Alliance can start getting their own countermeasures up because even if every GINN is worth 10 alliance mobile suits and 2 carriers, the EA can afford to absorb that and ZAFT can't, and most GINN pilots are just frankly not that good.

This is why (aside from the LOL SO EVIL part) the EA is pumping out like four or five different kinds of terrible warcrime pilots. Combat Coordinators/Socius Clones, Extendeds and the Druggies are all examples of stopgap measures designed to basically let the EA field mobile suits while they ramped that up because the big barrier in SEED wasn't the production of mobile suits but making them pilotable by disposable cannon fodder instead of expensive crimes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Also coordinators just flat out being better humans is kind of weird to me. Maybe it's just been a while and I'm wrong, but I remember older gundam shows being kind of vague on what newtypes could even do, ranging from like being able to sense one another to outright psychic bullshit and generally just being more perceptive and the like, particularly in space and then the implication being that eventually all of humanity would become newtypes if the colonization of space continued. Meanwhile coordinators are just like, scientifically made better people which starts a race war.

EDIT: I was also finally able to figure out I'm watching the HD re-release not the original.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 5, 2023

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

didn't later lore expand on that by making it also a class war because of course the poors couldn't afford the treatment for their kids.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Argas posted:

didn't later lore expand on that by making it also a class war because of course the poors couldn't afford the treatment for their kids.

To some extent, though it's less "rich vs poor" and more "rich people who liked designer babies against the poor being incited and manipulated by the rich who hated designer babies".

The rich people who could afford to make their children into coordinators and the early coordinators themselves all went into space to build space utopia colonies and left all the poors who couldn't afford it and the rich who hated the idea on Earth, which of course left the anti-coordinator rich people left on Earth in an excellent place to spread their takes on the matter virtually unopposed to a vast audience of people who had never had the resources to make their own choice on the matter in the first place. The coordinators did not do much to prove anti-coordinator sentiment wrong in the eyes of the common person by carpet bombing the planet with n-jammers that destroyed the power grid and wrecked the economy(even though they had their own understandable reasons for doing so, given that the most zealous anti-coordinator faction had already proven that they had access to nuclear weapons and no fear about using them on anything and anyone).

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Also the CE setting also has newtypes (Maybe by another name, I forgot) as well.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zedd posted:

Also the CE setting also has newtypes (Maybe by another name, I forgot) as well.

I don't think they're even given a proper name, they're just people with higher spatial awareness. The series explains very little about them, they're just...there. It seems to be genetic since Mu's family (dad, himself, clones) all can do that.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
on the subject of seed, i remember when it was airing some people insisted on really weird romanizations. mwu la fllaga, ssigh, etc. what was the source of those?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Probably Japanese articles or merchandise. Sometimes merchandise can have weird/inconsistent romanization

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah when SEED was airing their wasn't really a consistent Rominization/English guide for names so it could get pretty wild. Now they wouldn't let the happen (which is shame in a way as I kinda of miss some of the wild ways names could change like say between the Ranma manga and the Ranma Hard Battle game)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It still happens sometimes for Sentai and Rider which are products that aren't expected to officially reach English speaking audiences

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

One thing I remember being told when I watched SEED, and maybe I just missed where this was said in the anime, was that the superweapon at the end of SEED )GENESIS?) wasn't even made by the Coordinators, or at least not totally. Also something about how the space colonies themselves weren't made by the Coordinators but were something they just kinda took over?

Point is, it felt like the show presented the Coordinators as much more technologically advanced and then someone told me "nope, they just took a lot of their stuff from other people." I cannot for the life of me remember if this is correct or if it's maybe expanded in some non-anime lore.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

NikkolasKing posted:

One thing I remember being told when I watched SEED, and maybe I just missed where this was said in the anime, was that the superweapon at the end of SEED )GENESIS?) wasn't even made by the Coordinators, or at least not totally. Also something about how the space colonies themselves weren't made by the Coordinators but were something they just kinda took over?

Point is, it felt like the show presented the Coordinators as much more technologically advanced and then someone told me "nope, they just took a lot of their stuff from other people." I cannot for the life of me remember if this is correct or if it's maybe expanded in some non-anime lore.

Iirc correctly, the PLANTS were designed by George Glenn, the first Coordinator. But construction began before there were that many Coordinators so it would’ve had to have been largely Natural labor, at least for the first ones. But it was certainly linked to the Coordinator idea for the future of mankind.

As for Coordinators stealing technology, I don’t know about that. If that’s a thing then yeah it would have to be in one of the Astray mangas or something.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mister Olympus posted:

on the subject of seed, i remember when it was airing some people insisted on really weird romanizations. mwu la fllaga, ssigh, etc. what was the source of those?

A part of those weird names was that SEED was the first new Gundam show to air in Japan after Gundam Wing had aired on Toonami, so there was a massively larger following in the West, and all sorts of people were trying to translate names. There weren't official translations put out with the shows as they aired (That's something that didn't start until maybe 00 or one of the shows that followed it), so different websites, fansub groups, and so on ran with their own translations, and some became more common than others.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Would that debate over the romanizations have happened around the time they started standardizing the English pronunciations for UC shows as well?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
see, i could believe either "fansubber with a bug up their rear end" and "bandai just shrugged and put some letters on a gunpla box" (looking at you 'qwrof' or whatever he's spelled from hunter x hunter), but i'm curious where specifically these first emerged because i remember them feeling so arbitrary compared even to other gundam names from other series

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The bizarre rear end SEED spellings for names were from official romanizations at the time. Everyone called him Mu at the time until the word of god said it was Mwu.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

The bizarre rear end SEED spellings for names were from official romanizations at the time. Everyone called him Mu at the time until the word of god said it was Mwu.

M'uwu

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Arc Hammer posted:

Would that debate over the romanizations have happened around the time they started standardizing the English pronunciations for UC shows as well?

Shortly after, as the OYW-era UC stuff had already been released. The MSG movie trilogy, 0080, and 0083 were done in 98/99, the MSG series and 08th were done in 01, and CCA was 02 (Releasing on DVD around the same time SEED started airing).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And even the UC stuff had its struggles between the novels and then, with your Shars, your Zaks, your Gun-drat

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think even 08th MS Team pronounced Kycelia as Ksheria like the older dubs. Surprised it aired at same time as 0079 stateside.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

And even the UC stuff had its struggles between the novels and then, with your Shars, your Zaks, your Gun-drat

Don't forget Zion. Even if remembering it makes you weep.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Jab-raow

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Heck as recently as a couple years ago GBO2 made a big goof and was calling the Hyaku Shiki the Type 100 for like a year before they corrected it

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Jion

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mister Olympus posted:

Official english newtype magazine

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Waffleman_ posted:

It still happens sometimes for Sentai and Rider which are products that aren't expected to officially reach English speaking audiences
Kamen Rider Claws? Close? Nah Mate his name is Cross-Z :shepface:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's worth noting some of those wacky-rear end things just ended up being what everyone used, which is why we have Yzak instead of Isaac. Athrun was also Aslan for a good chunk of time before Athrun stuck.

BlackLagoon
Jul 4, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

I think even 08th MS Team pronounced Kycelia as Ksheria like the older dubs. Surprised it aired at same time as 0079 stateside.
08th was the last UC Gundam dub Bandai Entertainment produced (I wouldn't be surprised if it was made earlier and its release was just delayed.) Starting with 0079 Sunrise took direct control over the English UC release and Bandai just distributed what they were given.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BlackLagoon posted:

08th was the last UC Gundam dub Bandai Entertainment produced (I wouldn't be surprised if it was made earlier and its release was just delayed.) Starting with 0079 Sunrise took direct control over the English UC release and Bandai just distributed what they were given.

What about F91? From what I've gathered it wasn't dubbed until 2004 (by Bang Zoom, apparently... using almost the entire Animaze voiceover crew. Seriously why are dub studios so interchangeable like that). Was Bandai just sitting on that one while Sunrise worked with Ocean/Blue Water on other Gundam works?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 6, 2023

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

chiasaur11 posted:

Don't forget Zion. Even if remembering it makes you weep.

I mean to be fair that’s not entirely incorrect, the rendering in english as Zeon was a deliberate choice to avoid any allegations of antisemitism by English media

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

fartknocker posted:

A part of those weird names was that SEED was the first new Gundam show to air in Japan after Gundam Wing had aired on Toonami, so there was a massively larger following in the West, and all sorts of people were trying to translate names. There weren't official translations put out with the shows as they aired (That's something that didn't start until maybe 00 or one of the shows that followed it), so different websites, fansub groups, and so on ran with their own translations, and some became more common than others.

I think it was during 00 because I remember preview material coming out with poo poo like “Solestal Bang’s supercomputer VADER” but it was cleaned up by the time it aired.

BlackLagoon
Jul 4, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

What about F91? From what I've gathered it wasn't dubbed until 2004 (by Bang Zoom, apparently... using almost the entire Animaze voiceover crew). Was Bandai just sitting on that one while Sunrise worked with Ocean/Blue Water on other Gundam works?
Sunrise did F91, as well as Overman King Gainer. While Bandai Namco continued to use Ocean for the games, Sunrise did not. They also went non-union, while Bandai dubs at the time were generally unionized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Could they have also been alluding to the Zeons from Doctor Who? They showed up in a Tom Baker episode in early 1979.