Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Rookersh posted:

I'll point to something more modern.

ESO.

ESO has extremely good companions. Ember and Isobel are extremely high quality. Mirri is fantastic. As is Sharp-As-Night.

The writing is also generally the best part and the reason most people keep playing. Expansion storylines can be hit or miss ( High Isles kinda stank, Elsewyr got some character issues ), but the side quests/general stuff tends to be very good. The Daedric War arc is probably the best thing Bethesda has put out in recent memory.

Like we have a recent pipeline of Bethesda actually caring about it's writing/worldbuilding, and it just got another expansion in June that's actually been pretty good. They -can- do good stories/writing, but they seem to lock all the writers up in the TES rooms and Fallout/Starfield stuff gets written by basically an intern.

Mirri and Sharp are great, also Endless Archive just came out which has been a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

staberind posted:

"do you have your spacesuit on? smaessuit. did i mention spaesuit?"
"spacesuit"

The game absolutely loves to pop you out into a hard vacuum in your skivvies rather than just land your ship on a planet you've visited before. The map/fast travel system is hilarious

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

infernal machines posted:

The game absolutely loves to pop you out into a hard vacuum in your skivvies rather than just land your ship on a planet you've visited before. The map/fast travel system is hilarious

I built an outpost with a landing pad a few km from New Atlantis, except my ship doesn’t actually land there. So I’m landing at NA spaceport and walking? Then it moves if I use the shipbuilder, but not if I fast travel to NA from the outpost, so I’m walking there again…

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Your landing pad is probably touching a single pebble and freaking the hell out

Or, a different Bethesda thing

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

A bunch of ship builder mods have popped up lately that are worth checking out. Too many to list but search ship, builder, or door on Nexus. The improved ship builder UI is very nice, the door placement structures pieces work fairly well for making sane layouts better, and there is a dude with a lot of ship part tweaks but has an all in one version that's worth grabbing too. In particular it gives all the hab pieces actual value so engineering grants extra power and cargo halls actually increase your cargo.

Pre CK and already looking good on mods.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Hopetech's slogan is TRUCKS! IN! SPACE! My question is, how does anyone still know what a truck is?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

isndl posted:

Hopetech's slogan is TRUCKS! IN! SPACE! My question is, how does anyone still know what a truck is?

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Is there a way to choose where the pieces connect in the shipbuilder? It seems to randomly place the doors/access hatches.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

South posted:

Is there a way to choose where the pieces connect in the shipbuilder? It seems to randomly place the doors/access hatches.

On controller(console?) if you hover over a connection point and hold down the right and left triggers before pressing A it seems to do a pretty good job of forcing the next hab you're trying to place to use the door/floor connection you're hovering over. You might hafta make some compromises on your layout, but I've found it to be fairly reliable

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
You may have to reconnect all your habs if you want to change something, and in doing so they may not want to reconnect in the same way, though

The best way I've found to actually force connections is giving the game one choice with the Hopetech one-way habs and just hiding them inside the outer hull

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.

Zwingley posted:

On controller(console?) if you hover over a connection point and hold down the right and left triggers before pressing A it seems to do a pretty good job of forcing the next hab you're trying to place to use the door/floor connection you're hovering over. You might hafta make some compromises on your layout, but I've found it to be fairly reliable

I'm on PC using a mouser and keyboard.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

South posted:

Habs seem to have individual preferences for where they attempt to create connections, but at the end of the day there's no way to guarantee placement short of outright eliminating adjacencies. Even something as simple as adding a porthole can cause ladder placements to shift or disappear for no discernable reason.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

South posted:

I'm on PC using a mouser and keyboard.

There should be an equivalent keybind, although I'm not totally certain what it is

A skim of my info pointed me to G, but here's the Reddit thread I got my info from for your viewing pleasure. The OP only has the controller thing I mentioned, so you'll have to check the comments to be certain

https://old.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/16azmzp/all_ship_hab_interiors_and_unique_hab_locations/

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Yeah, you mouse over the bunghole you want to connect stuff to, then Hit G, and hey, it might even use it,
thats end to end stuff, side to side and on top to down, and vice versa is : gently caress you. signed; your friends at Bethesda.
ps. gently caress you. putting a window or sky/bottomlight simply means you get an unusable door sometimes. but N'thing the all in one stuff, also, black reactors looks drat plush.
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/6020 weapons. https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/6368 Reactors and GD's
also, want to creat a roaming band of less talkative followers?
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/6439?tab=posts&BH=0 gotchu fam. although I have been busy making a baese to breed schrodingers fatboxes, so dunno if it actually works.

staberind fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 5, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is there a good way to grind to Level 100 without going NG+? I did basically everything in my first playthrough including loving around a lot in those abandoned outposts/places full of pirates/mercs/etc and I finished at Level 59.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Schrodinger III and just shoot everything that moves until you have no ammo left.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is there a good way to grind to Level 100 without going NG+? I did basically everything in my first playthrough including loving around a lot in those abandoned outposts/places full of pirates/mercs/etc and I finished at Level 59.

I used this guide where you set up an outpost with animal buildings in a circle.

Then just shoot the generator of each building with a hornet's nest-modded coachman and repair to make the animals respawn. After set up it took me about an hour to get from level 55 to 100 with +17% XP boost (companion sleep + grandpa's meatloaf).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fanatic posted:

I used this guide where you set up an outpost with animal buildings in a circle.

Then just shoot the generator of each building with a hornet's nest-modded coachman and repair to make the animals respawn. After set up it took me about an hour to get from level 55 to 100 with +17% XP boost (companion sleep + grandpa's meatloaf).
I can never understand how people figure this stuff out

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I can never understand how people figure this stuff out

It seems like something that is easily patchable (by removing the instant animal respawn on repair) so definitely get it done soon just in case. ;)

Also speeds up the process to max out the explosives and quick reload skills as you go.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Other option is to set up an outpost on Bessel III-c, extract iron and nickel and spam craft about 300,000 adaptive frames

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
I did that to 60 and my advice is, don't

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Just use the command console.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

The further "east" you go from The babby area, the higher the levels, So, set up a base around Maal and beat crap up around there, get some simple outposts set up, hijack all the reds, sell all your junk at porrima and so on, I'm over level 80, & spaceclowning around and still regularly getting levels.
Here's where all the rarest minerals are, aside from the stuff on mars you get as part of the UC questline
Chuck some outposts down and mine some of this junk up, make lots of the rarer stuff and sell that, plus, get a hefty shunk of exp too.

1. Rothicite Rc Carinae III-a
2. Vytinium Vy Decaran VII-b
3. Aldumite Ad Schrodinger II
4. Veryl Vr Verne I
5. Tasine Tsn Huygens VII-a
6. Indicite Ie Katydid III

staberind fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 6, 2023

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Starfield is good. I like this game. Todd Howard has done it again.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Fanatic posted:

I tried this guide for the hell of it and got no experience, which according to the comments just happens for some people randomly? Game's sorta hosed in a lotta ways, lol

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Zwingley posted:

I tried this guide for the hell of it and got no experience, which according to the comments just happens for some people randomly? Game's sorta hosed in a lotta ways, lol

What people don't understand is you get experience for killing the animals, not the building (that will just despawn them).

So if you aren't using a hornet's nest advanced coachman (which essentially shoots a cluster bomb, killing both the animals and the building in one hit) then you have to shoot the animals manually then kill the building.

Also maybe try lowering difficulty as you also might not be killing the animals because they're too tanky, and instead you're just despawning them by killing the building.

Otherwise yeah it's just bugged I guess :eek:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
M46PK-4X4J3-96H4X-4WMYQ-DVG9Z

I don’t know who else to give this to, so here’s a 1 month Xbox Game Pass Ultimate that I “won” with my Starfield branded Doritos. I’m U.K. based if that makes a difference or not.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
I’d use that but I’m all out of verification cans.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Athletic Footjob posted:

M46PK-4X4J3-96H4X-4WMYQ-DVG9Z

I don’t know who else to give this to, so here’s a 1 month Xbox Game Pass Ultimate that I “won” with my Starfield branded Doritos. I’m U.K. based if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks a $68,7 billion! Nabbed it. I'm in Finland, made no difference.

Were the Doritos cubes?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sandepande posted:

Thanks a $68,7 billion! Nabbed it. I'm in Finland, made no difference.

Were the Doritos cubes?

Sadly they were underbaked and had a large amount of bugs in the package.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
be me, be lazy and forget to buy house, do the UC missions a bit, become a citizen, remember house, go buy it, get it half price.
ahahaahah. also, I dont recall ever walking into a bank and getting offered jobs before I can even do any business there. great work bethesda.
I'm looking forwards to Andreja putting her hands on a "xenomorf" and saying "its afraid" at some point as well. lets flog that horse into its component atoms eh?

staberind fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 6, 2023

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I like the tiered citizenships, they should've just leaned a bit more into the facist demi-utopia feels.

Oh and limit the game to a single system with the big reveal being a stargate or an ancient hyperdrive or something, the winning faction focusing on researching it and you left to finish up the remaining quests and do radiant stuff forever.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
its basically an even more nihilist Fallout 4; all that work you did? all that scanning and building and walking and tal;king and missions? meaningless. do on, doo it again.

how can ye have ene starborn if ye dunt et ye meet?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
In case anyone else has been frustrated by it: Scrap Vacuum Tape For Adhesives. Since Fallout has finely-tuned my senses for scavenging rolls of tape.

staberind posted:

its basically an even more nihilist Fallout 4; all that work you did? all that scanning and building and walking and tal;king and missions? meaningless. do on, doo it again.

how can ye have ene starborn if ye dunt et ye meet?
The NG+ stuff is so frustrating because of just... infinity. Sure the Emissary can control who enters the Unity so the 'wrong' people don't, but there's an infinite number of universes where they fail and so an infinite number of un-approved starborn wandering around. A more interesting split would have been "Focus on using the powers of the Unity to help the Universe you are currently in (because anything else is meaningless as you can't reduce the suffering in other universes as there's an infinite number of suffering ones regardless)" vs "Focus on using the powers of the Unity to help yourself (because anything else is meaningless as there's an infinite number of suffering universes so nothing matters beyond your personal experience)".

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 6, 2023

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Talkie Toaster posted:

In case anyone else has been frustrated by it: Scrap Vacuum Tape For Adhesives. Since Fallout has finely-tuned my senses for scavenging rolls of tape.

The NG+ stuff is so frustrating because of just... infinity. Sure the Emissary can control who enters the Unity so the 'wrong' people don't, but there's an infinite number of universes where they fail and so an infinite number of un-approved starborn wandering around. A more interesting split would have been "Focus on using the powers of the Unity to help the Universe you are currently in (because anything else is meaningless as you can't reduce the suffering in other universes as there's an infinite number of suffering ones regardless)" vs "Focus on using the powers of the Unity to help yourself (because anything else is meaningless as there's an infinite number of suffering universes so nothing matters beyond your personal experience)".

exactly, hence the Nihilism.
I got the tape to adhesive when it was an esp, someone made an esm, so I upgraded. now we have a goon made one? excellent, *upgrades again.* Much appreciated.
in my modding tries, I wanted to swap out that idiotic looking welders mask for the eyepatch, but all it did was make the mask dissapear, ogwell, thats already 100% better

we really need to make a crafting framework to take apart all the cruft. and have a couple more crafting benches, so the industrial one stays useful, I overloaded on mods and the industrial bench grinds to a halt, farts and dies, due to everything going through there.
E: sorry Toast, I had to.

staberind fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 6, 2023

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
…Vortex search, wtf. I searched “Scrap vacuum tape for adhesives” before making that, I guess nobody else used the word ‘scrap’.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So I would like to get into crafting more. I like the crafting. It's good.

The biggest issue I'm having is the only 'unlimited storage' container I've found is the one in the Lodge, and so my routine for storage is usually 'land on NA, carry all my resources to the Lodge, dump them in the unlimited storage box' then when it's time to research/craft I grab the entire stack, run to the basement, do all the crap, run back upstairs and store what I didn't use.

I'd like to streamline this if possible. I just figured out last night I can dump items from my ship directly into storage, so that's useful. But I'd still like to be able to craft from storage without having to grab all/go craft/store all. So I'm looking into outposts as a possible means to streamline poo poo.

1) Is there a particular place y'all would recommend for building an outpost early game before I unlock the different habitable poo poo?
2) Is there a 'unlimited storage' similar to the chest in the Lodge I can dump poo poo in and craft from or do I need to build a bunch of stacked up solid/liquid/gas storage instead? Is there upgraded versions of the storage I should be working towards making?
3) I know I can build a ship builder/landing pad because I saw that while playing with a small 'test' outpost I made, but as I'm still learning I'm not sure whether or not ship components cost resources or credits when built in my outpost. I didn't see anything about researching starship components, so do I have to unlock them different ways or how does that all work?

I'm trying to learn and discover stuff by myself and avoiding spoilers as I go. I'm a little late, I know, but I had a personal tragedy when the game came out so I'm only really diving into a lot of it now months later. But the sheer size of how much poo poo there is to do makes me simultaneously want to explore it all and also feeling a wee bit overwhelmed by it all.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
The container on the table butting up against the research lab in the basement of the lodge is also unlimited storage

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

khy posted:

So I would like to get into crafting more. I like the crafting. It's good.

The biggest issue I'm having is the only 'unlimited storage' container I've found is the one in the Lodge, and so my routine for storage is usually 'land on NA, carry all my resources to the Lodge, dump them in the unlimited storage box' then when it's time to research/craft I grab the entire stack, run to the basement, do all the crap, run back upstairs and store what I didn't use.

I'd like to streamline this if possible. I just figured out last night I can dump items from my ship directly into storage, so that's useful. But I'd still like to be able to craft from storage without having to grab all/go craft/store all. So I'm looking into outposts as a possible means to streamline poo poo.

1) Is there a particular place y'all would recommend for building an outpost early game before I unlock the different habitable poo poo?
2) Is there a 'unlimited storage' similar to the chest in the Lodge I can dump poo poo in and craft from or do I need to build a bunch of stacked up solid/liquid/gas storage instead? Is there upgraded versions of the storage I should be working towards making?
3) I know I can build a ship builder/landing pad because I saw that while playing with a small 'test' outpost I made, but as I'm still learning I'm not sure whether or not ship components cost resources or credits when built in my outpost. I didn't see anything about researching starship components, so do I have to unlock them different ways or how does that all work?

I'm trying to learn and discover stuff by myself and avoiding spoilers as I go. I'm a little late, I know, but I had a personal tragedy when the game came out so I'm only really diving into a lot of it now months later. But the sheer size of how much poo poo there is to do makes me simultaneously want to explore it all and also feeling a wee bit overwhelmed by it all.

Sorry, my first reply came out when I got to the point where you mentioned managing the stairs every time.

To your numbered points: outpost development perks will let you research and the build medium and large solid/liquid/gad storage containers

All shipbuilding happens with credits, no research necessary. Using some parts will require ranks in, uh, starship design, I think? There's one that allows installation of various grades of ship module. They're just available for purchase when you're high enough level, basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH9vs3gjx0Y