Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

I watched like 15 minutes of VHS 1985 got to like I think the 2nd one and was like Nah and then went back to watching Star Trek

I wholeheartedly support this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Re actually scary: I was just thinking about Get Out.

There are a few scenes in that film that are genuinely terrifying to me, and not the jump scares or whatever.

For example, when Chris and Rose are at the party and the cougar lady is asking Rose if it’s better (sex with a black dude) and she actually reaches out and grabs Chris’s pec or bicep. It’s shocking because it is so.. transgressive, and hints that whatever evil is lurking behind the smiles and banal small talk about Tiger Woods and Once You Go Black etc. has just started to take off its mask. We still do not know what it is, can only begin to see the rough shape of it, but it is beginning to reveal itself.

Ditto when the maid is talking to him and she has that weird smile but is weeping at the same time, so loving uncanny. We know something terrible is happening, and sense she is in there trying to say something to him, but we can not know or understand the true nature of the problem yet.

Chris rummaging through the red box of photos in the little crawl space is loving horrifying too, because it is the terrible confirmation of what we had been suspecting for a while, like Bluebeard’s wife going into his secret room and discovering his terrible secret. So he learns that Rose was in on the game the whole time when he still does not have a means to escape the situation and she has been the only confidant he could trust and rely on (aside from Rod).

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

One real feel-bad movie that I don't see get mentioned is What Josiah Saw, which has a very good middle section (with an incredible performance by Nick Stahl!) before nosediving directly into one of the bleakest, most uncomfortable endings I can remember.

What Josiah Saw would have been one of my favorite horror films of all time if not for the absolutely wild romaphobic stuff in the middle. Literal "the g*psies will steal your white kids" poo poo.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Five Nights at Freddy's is adorable, it's like a kid's 80's movie was allowed to be made in the 2010's. It's like if The Goonies had more facial mutilation. It fits comfortably between Mortal Kombat and Silent Hill for "best video game adaptation". What a cute rear end movie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Chapelwaite season 2 just got officially cancelled, no big surprise

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Enemabag Jones posted:

Five Nights at Freddy's is adorable, it's like a kid's 80's movie was allowed to be made in the 2010's. It's like if The Goonies had more facial mutilation. It fits comfortably between Mortal Kombat and Silent Hill for "best video game adaptation". What a cute rear end movie.

After 57 seconds I cannot believe hutcherson got another gig.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Guys I'm watching Frailty for the first time since the theater and I don't understand how this new movie is 22 years old

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Saw Where Evil Lurks last night and wow, what a loving movie.

One of the bleakest, no-light-left-in-the-world endings I've ever seen and I loved it. The demon-mom (demom?) walking along eating the kid's brain was... gently caress I don't even know. Just a great, fresh, inventive horror film that's totally worth your time.

The scene with Ruiz, his wife, and the goat that sets everything on the path to Hell is also a masterclass in terrified tension. I love how the instant he fires the gun his wife axes him, I don't even think the goat has hit the ground yet. And then there's the next 30 seconds.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Finally finished Fall of the House of Usher last night, probably my second-favorite Flanagan after Midnight Mass. The only thing I didn't get was the significance of the scene in the first episode where Mama Usher comes back out of her grave, menaces her kids for a moment, and then strangles their dad. Is that just supposed to be foreshadowing of their eventual bouts with CADASIL?

Enemabag Jones posted:

Weird way to spell Detective Pikachu. I'll let y'all decide which one is misspelled though.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

JonathonSpectre posted:

Saw Where Evil Lurks last night and wow, what a loving movie.

The scene with Ruiz, his wife, and the goat that sets everything on the path to Hell is also a masterclass in terrified tension. I love how the instant he fires the gun his wife axes him, I don't even think the goat has hit the ground yet. And then there's the next 30 seconds.

I think I missed something in this scene. How did he know the goat was evil?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

No discussion of the best videogame movie adaptation should include Silent Hill but not include Detention or Ace Attorney, but especially Detention considering the scope of this thread.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

computer angel posted:

I think I missed something in this scene. How did he know the goat was evil?

The wife saw the goat standing and staring at her while all the other animals were milling around it trying to eat. When the guy fired the gun, all the other animals scattered but it, and when he pointed the shotgun at its head the goat walked directly into the barrel like 'pull the trigger'. That ain't no normal goat, I tell you hwhat.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

No discussion of the best videogame movie adaptation should include Silent Hill but not include Detention or Ace Attorney, but especially Detention considering the scope of this thread.
I legitimately keep forgetting Detention is a game adaptation because it is way too good to be one, in my defense.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I watched the season 5 premiere of Boulet Brother's Dragula yesterday and then immediately rewatched all of Season 2.

The talent in making sfx/horror costuming is cool but hell, that show just seeps of why I like horror and the queer community despite being a dumb hetero. I really like season 2 because it's so unpolished and unpredictable, plus being able to fast forward the silly bits (like the BB short film time-fillers) is nice on a rewatch. I remember watching it originally with my gf and the experience of becoming the biggest Biqtch Puddin fans was like a highlight of that year.

Episode 2 tonight so a pretty cool time to jump on. Shudder has cleaned up the production value a bunch, but it can still be wild.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Which Dentention? I’ve only seen the 2011 Josh Hutcherson one (which rules)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

https://boxd.it/mHII

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought 5 Nights at Freddy's was total loving trash and not good trash just trash

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I enjoyed 5 nights for what it was. I wouldn't say it's a good movie but for a video game adaptation aimed at like older kids/young teens it was neat.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, I'm sure FNAF is a lot better if you're invested in the backstory, but I just found the whole thing really dull.

Even felt tame compared to the game it came from too, I was expecting loads of jumpscares that didn't come.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Medullah posted:

Guys I'm watching Frailty for the first time since the theater and I don't understand how this new movie is 22 years old
Always a favorite of mine.

Finally saw Trick r Treat and enjoyed it. It was fine. The werewolf party felt like some stupid Bordello of Blood type thing but Brian Cox and Sam and the other stuff was fun.

Also finally caught Sleepy Hollow. Really don't know why it's the one Burton I'd always forget about. Plenty of decapitations (no surprise), some great mood, great cinematography...some of the romance and action/adventure is ehhh but it's good poo poo with a nice cast.
Also I mean it's about selling your soul to the devil so you can avenge yourself against your lovely landlord. Something we all understand.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I've been looking at j-horror (and korean horror) lately again and I finished Audition (1999) and Cure (1997) and I honestly didn't feel them. Though weirdly I was kinda almost cheering it up for the Audiion antagonist. Cure I take is kinda...cerebral in that you can make several interpretations about it. What was up with the household appliance that the protagonist kept turning off and wife kept turning on? Apart from implying dementia, some stuff shook in the movie when they were "possessed" or "invoked" to do something. What also bothered me about Cure is that the world and scenes felt weirdly poor and low tech and very barren. The hospitals and all.

I mean they weren't bad films but I definitely didn't feel dread during them except maaaybe the very finale of Cure being afraid I'd get a jump scare, but no. I'm usually a huge pansy and legit mute some points of horror films and series.

I'm probably rewatching Kairo/Pulse and Noroi/The Curse because I barely remember either before turning to other pieces of J-horror, *juust* to make absolutely sure I've actually fully seen him. Definitely watched everything there was to be seen of Grudge and Ringu years ago and for those I felt like, tear-inducing dread watching them from what I recall.

Of recent'ish horror, Haunting of Hill House definitely was uncomfortable to watch and hearing there's like ghosts or whatever visible casually on the background or whatever probably makes rewatches worth it I started on Bly manor when it came but I wasn't in the headspace to finish it. Also *that* scene in that series might be the most uncomfortable/horrying horror scene I've seen in my life.

Something about combination occasionally almost pedestrian cases of supernatural that's still extremely creepy, sometimes of beings that maybe you can fool yourself into thinking can be appeased or avoided due to past transgressions made towards them. Scenes of not just absolute frantic horror but like, two characters just having a conversation - or just one being somewhere casually and just something extremely creepy happening on the background or just being WORRIED that something creepy is going to happen on the background. Definitely a lot of that going in the grudge and ring, not to mention the vibes of 90's and early 00's Japan.

There's probably similar'ish western horror around somewhere too. I'll probably check Koji Shiraishi's other work as recommended by the recommend me a movie thread. And maybe look into which Kiyoshi Kurosawa's works include supernatural/foreboding elements.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Dessel posted:

Of recent'ish horror, Haunting of Hill House definitely was uncomfortable to watch and hearing there's like ghosts or whatever visible casually on the background or whatever probably makes rewatches worth it I started on Bly manor when it came but I wasn't in the headspace to finish it. Also *that* scene in that series might be the most uncomfortable/horrying horror scene I've seen in my life..

for the life of me i can't imagine what scene in Bly Manor (or Hill House if I misread) you're thinking of

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I don’t know if House or Usher will see it through but night club orgy scene already made it worth it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Report back on The Magician: it's good enough, but lacks direction. Reportedly Rex Ingram pretty much dropped out of the project partway through and let several understudies do the work, hence his credit being "supervised by" instead of "directed by". This led to his star (Paul Wegener of Der Golem fame) being a dick to cast and crew alike.

The most interesting thing about the movie is that it culminates in a magical ritual intended to create life which reminded me quite a lot of Frankenstein (1932); one must wonder if James Whale had seen The Magician and been inspired. The second most interesting thing about it is that it features future famous director Michael Powell in an acting role.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

alf_pogs posted:

for the life of me i can't imagine what scene in Bly Manor (or Hill House if I misread) you're thinking of

The Kittens?

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

The Tall Man with the child hiding under the bed in The Haunting of Hill House. Maybe it's silly for some but for me it hit some integral feeling of mine.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Dessel posted:

The Tall Man with the child hiding under the bed in The Haunting of Hill House. Maybe it's silly for some but for me it hit some integral feeling of mine.

I thought that was a really effective scene too. A lot of the ghost stuff in Hill House got me actually

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Five Nights at Freddy's blew past the 100 million mark. Not too shabby for a film made for 25 mil.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/five-nights-at-freddys-box-office-marketing-1235586642/

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I thought that was a really effective scene too. A lot of the ghost stuff in Hill House got me actually

It was an effective scene for sure.

I used to have dreams like that when I was a kid, cowering under the bed from some unnamed terror. Probably everyone dreamed that at some point.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

As someone who turned off the original Exorcist after half an hour because it was boring, I'd like to say the new Exorcist movie is fine. Hell, it's pretty good, really.
Someone of the bits feel a bit rushed, or a bit average but there's plenty to like.
That very very last scene was kinda fan service bullshit. Maybe that's what got everyone so mad.

What did everyone want? That felt like a modern day movie about a little girl(s) getting possessed to me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
You should watch the best Exorcist, Exorcist III

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Exorcist 3
Friday 3
Halloween 3
Nightmare 3

All the best in their respective series... Makes you think...

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
You forgot Creepshow 3.

Please dont watch this.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hellraiser 3
Child’s Play 3
Leprechaun 3
Puppet Master 3

The math checks out.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

where can I watch the 2016 Legion version of Exorcist 3?

justwatch.com says it's available on shudder through amazon, but I'm subscribed directly to shudder and I cannot for the life of me find it using their search.

I even tried files and could not find it.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I just watched Exorcist 3 on shudder tonight, didn't know there was different versions. Then I followed up with Hellraiser 2 to continue the theme of mental institutions in hell.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Fate Accomplice posted:

where can I watch the 2016 Legion version of Exorcist 3?

justwatch.com says it's available on shudder through amazon, but I'm subscribed directly to shudder and I cannot for the life of me find it using their search.

I even tried files and could not find it.

Shudder through Amazon and shudder directly from shudder don’t have all the same films available for streaming, for some reason.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Count Thrashula posted:

Exorcist 3
Friday 3
Halloween 3
Nightmare 3

All the best in their respective series... Makes you think...

Friday the 13th 3 stinks!

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Scream 3
Texas Chain Saw Massacre 3
Child's Play 3
V/H/S 3

The Exorcist 3 is on my list, I'll get to it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Seconding 2011 Detention. I keep rewatching it expecting that ok now it will finally have aged badly but nope, still rules.