Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

other thn amazon i mean. if ive got to spend money or learn nigerian to watch your flick you should be returned to the earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Fungah! posted:

new movie club proposal tht if the only way to stream your pick is to find a handcam rip on archive.org in vietnamese you get killed immediately

you can also download an srt but if the subtitles are baked into the movie itll double up and be a little hard to read

sometimes you gotta make the best out of a bad situation

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
https://my-subs.co/film-versions-22662-memories-of-murder-subtitles

im sure subtitles are fine to share right :tinfoil:

optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
also knowing now that the movie was based on real events it makes some of the poo poo in the movie seem kind of glib for how hosed up things actually were lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fungah! posted:

new movie club proposal tht if the only way to stream your pick is to find a handcam rip on archive.org in vietnamese you get killed immediately

Getting real tired of this poo poo

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fungah! posted:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Thank you leadthumb

The Secret of NIMH - dir. By Don Bluth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4xHs01SUA4

quote:

To save her ill son, a field mouse must seek the aid of a colony of rats, with whom she has a deeper link than she suspected.

This movie will expire November 13th.

This movie can be found streaming on AppleTV+, Tubi, and Pluto.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 30, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i remember this flick and the book being wildly different but that was perfectly fine.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i still agree wth everything i said but lmao this movies really good. the hard cut between the third victims decaying body and the korean bbq lmfao

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Thank you leadthumb

Solid pick. Nice animation in this

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

elf help book posted:

Memories of Murder

what a bummer (in the good way)
the stench of failure overhanging the plot is fascinating. we move from the press taking celebratory pictures to protesters outside the station to even children saying everyone knows the cops just beat confessions out of people. our main characters fall apart, and only accomplished in making the lives worse of those around them

I just finished the movie. This is pretty much exactly how I feel about it too.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

herculon posted:

Solid pick. Nice animation in this

No one had picked anything animated yet so I figured I'd go with an all-timer. This is one of those formitive movies my folks would put on when I was too little to really grasp them. Like this and nausicaa and dark crystal, or like time bandits or willow or something like that was just always on in the background growing up.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Thank you leadthumb

cool pick, watched this a lot as a kid

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok i still stand by everythng i said earlier but this one kicks rear end. just incredible watching the total dissolution of everyone on the case nd then the ending. excellent poo poo. especially loved watchin g the detective from seoul slowly turn into exactly the same kind of shithead cop tht everyone else on the case was as they keep hitting brick walls. intense bummer of a movie, liked it a lot.

★★★ ½

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

I'm glad that you guys enjoyed Memories of Murder so much. A great and thought-provoking film for sure

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

November was cool! I’m a sucker for that intensely contrasty b&w. Also a big fan of collisions between folk traditions/paganism and Christianity, it was great how all these conniving villagers just used the church for whatever material ends because they’re just trying to make it through the winter. Really good fairy tale movie.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
November

this has a ton of great stuff in it that I loved but has some bizarre tone and pacing, or would have dramatic music stings out of place. when it had me in its grasp it really really had me

the ghosts just being some dudes, and the couple trying to sweet talk them to get their treasure

the plague scenes
the amazing snowman storytelling

i love it I LOVE IT

but then you get a scene like repeating the joke "youre getting married to the pig, right?" 10 times, or the first person rape scene

overall i was into it and will think of it fondly

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

November

overblown in the best sense of the word, theres almost too much in this 2 hour movie. wild, ethereal, darkly funny at times, and gut-wrenching at others. some stuff didn't land but when it did it really enthralled me. great pick. 4/5

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
secret of nimh was weird but good, why not
main thing i thought was just how much i miss this kind of soulful animation
3/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
not enough ppl checked out november. movie got cucked

thanks for the epic sig el spider

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Fucker posted:

This video is currently unavailable
to watch in your location

and not on archive

ill keep looking before tonight is over

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

movie club is to get people to *watch* movies and discuss them, if you try to pick an obscure film for the sake of picking an obscure film you gotta make sure people are able to watch it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fucker posted:

i'm watchin it tomorrow because i took friday off of work

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

justwatch pointed me to this site i didnt know about (but i didnt end up using it) https://www.kanopy.com/en it lets you stream movies for free with your library card have any of you used it before

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
vudu seemed to let you rent it so im going to watch it after i get some popcorn

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

elf help book posted:

justwatch pointed me to this site i didnt know about (but i didnt end up using it) https://www.kanopy.com/en it lets you stream movies for free with your library card have any of you used it before

woah

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

elf help book posted:

i think there's another service like this, too. many libraries have a streaming service you get access to with your library card

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

libraries ftw

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

elf help book posted:

the amazing snowman storytelling

That was such a great part, snowman talking about the places he'd been and the things he'd learned as water was neat

I really like folk stories and November captures the feeling very well. I also really like the movie's atmosphere, perfectly matches the cold and wet month it's set in.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

elf help book posted:

My local library isn’t supported

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

herculon posted:

My local library isn’t supported

i asked about it because mine doesnt either but i could get a card in another region that does from family, good luck

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Just finished secret of nimh. Been a long time since I've seen this and was pretty surprised by the quick pacing. Loved the character designs and a lot of the performances felt really natural. Kinda strange that the magic stone that Jonathan leaves her has zero explanation whatsoever lol. It's got such a mysterious and charming atmosphere throughout the whole movie, and all the art is so cool. It makes me want to read the book just to check out how different it is.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hoopla is another service that uses library memberships, you might check that.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leadthumb posted:

Just finished secret of nimh. Been a long time since I've seen this and was pretty surprised by the quick pacing. Loved the character designs and a lot of the performances felt really natural. Kinda strange that the magic stone that Jonathan leaves her has zero explanation whatsoever lol. It's got such a mysterious and charming atmosphere throughout the whole movie, and all the art is so cool. It makes me want to read the book just to check out how different it is.

pretty much same. i love that when i was a kid i thought there was some genuinely creepy/spooky stuff and on this rewatch it still held up as creepy/spooky in its design. the animation work is so drat good.

i've read the book more recently (like 5 years ago) and its still pretty good. very different than the movie though, which i think may be more based on the 2nd book in the series so there's stuff that sorta is assumed you knew the books? not sure.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Just remembered to watch November. I have no clue what I just watched but I enjoyed it. A very visually striking movie.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I like the Secret of NIMH. IIRC, Don Bluth spent years pitching it when he worked at Disney and it was always turned down; it became the motivating project for his band of defectors from Disney. I always love hand-drawn animation from back in the day.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Secret of nimh was good. Its well animated and moves at a pretty quick place. I really liked the environments they drew from the owls lair to the rat city under the rosebush and inside the farmhouse. They really did a lot to make this big world out of such a small space. Some of the story beats felt like they could have been explored more in depth but its a cartoon so im gonna enjoy it for what it was. 7.5

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

elf help book posted:

Yeah I use it frequently, not every library subscribes to it and it’s generally smaller library systems that do because apparently it’s really expensive for the libraries, like $1 per stream. So you only get a set number of streams/month. Also the selection varies per library system so not everything that shows up on justwatch will be available even if you do generally have access. But it’s a great service if you can get it, lots of independent films show up there, tons of documentaries and educational films, and they have a selection of older films that’s better than most streaming services. And there’s a lot of animated short films for some reason, those are always fun to check out.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok but like for real? i'm docking 1.5 stars from this movie because its been such a pain in my rear end to find streaming. cant get on kanopy, its not on archive.org and i cant rent it on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also its a pain in the rear end to google because th name is the name of a month. -2 stars.