Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Ror posted:

It was always distinctly animated as over-the-top cartooniness even when the rest of the animation toned down and if I recall it's never used as anything like punishment that could be justified, it's always some sort of rage outburst that Homer is having. The messaging never seemed confused.

This was pretty much their guidelines for it, verbatim, and I believe it. But it's just one of those things that normalizes violence and abuse, even if it was not their intention, that we are more conscious of avoiding now.

In fact, and not trying to turn the thread depressing here, it may have contributed to my idea growing up that dads being quick to anger and hitting you is just a common thing that is a part of life. Put me in the camp that while I did enjoy the strangling jokes in the past, I find them a little unpleasant now. I stand by that most of classic Simpsons holds up remarkably well, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
they probably stopped it because it goes off model and they cant have that

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

My partner's work friend started watching the Simpsons, but from like season 20. We're trying to steer him to the earlier years - what would you say are definitive episodes for getting someone into the Simpsons? He's polish, so I think he was turned off of any references to older american pop culture.

I feel like Marge Vs The Monorail might be a good shout?

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Can't really go wrong with that one.

My mind always goes to "Last Exit To Springfield" as the definitive classic Simpsons episode. It hits all the key things that made the show so good without any extraordinary plots, celebrity cameos or characterisations.

Just in case it's not clear what I mean - eps like "Bart Gets An F" or "Deep Space Homer" are in many ways better-written, funnier or more powerful but they're extra-ordinary episodes. Although "Bart Gets An F" would be a brilliant example of how S1 and S2 could flip between comedy/animated wackiness and heart-tugging/grounded family issues.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Just spin the wheel on season like 4-7 and you can't go wrong.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

This was pretty much their guidelines for it, verbatim, and I believe it. But it's just one of those things that normalizes violence and abuse, even if it was not their intention, that we are more conscious of avoiding now.

In fact, and not trying to turn the thread depressing here, it may have contributed to my idea growing up that dads being quick to anger and hitting you is just a common thing that is a part of life. Put me in the camp that while I did enjoy the strangling jokes in the past, I find them a little unpleasant now. I stand by that most of classic Simpsons holds up remarkably well, though.

It's only funny if it's uncommon, alien to one's life. My dad never got remotely violent so as a kid in only seemed like slapstick, something existing in cartoon world along with Homer firing a shotgun in the home when Lisa told him there was a boogeyman.

Despite the handwringing form social conservatives about Bart normalizing juvenile delinquency, youth violence rates plummeted as the 90s went on

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

je1 healthcare posted:

Despite the handwringing form social conservatives about Bart normalizing juvenile delinquency, youth violence rates plummeted as the 90s went on

Same thing with Power Rangers, Grand Theft Auto, and so on.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

je1 healthcare posted:

It's only funny if it's uncommon, alien to one's life. My dad never got remotely violent so as a kid in only seemed like slapstick, something existing in cartoon world along with Homer firing a shotgun in the home when Lisa told him there was a boogeyman.

Not to go all e/n but I had the kind of dad who'd resort to violence quickly and even then Homer strangling Bart was so over the top that it really didn't register at all.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Not what the joke was

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 5, 2023

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
E: to change the subject, here are some helpful guides to remember travel regulations

Spoilered for cartoon buttcrack:

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 5, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wow sounds like the most boring place on Earth

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Giving me big vibes of going to the swap meet and looking at the t-shirt stalls in 1990.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

This is a very elegant solution to the Julie Kavner problem: replace Marge with Sideshow Bob.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

You Are A Werewolf posted:

The song is called “Man Smart (Woman Smarter)” by Harry Belafonte.

Harry Belafonte sings “that’s RIGHT!” instead of “man SMART!” even though the song title says otherwise.

So do the Grateful Dead, whose version is even more of a bop

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/benhugh26422354/status/1721311654938395062?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Is this the ninja guy?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watched TOH live:

First story

Bart and Homer break into the museum, where they are digitizing al the art to make NFTs. Bart gets in the machine that makes NFTs and gets turned into an NFT. He's worth $1.5 million. Kylie Jenner, Rob Gronkowski, and Jimmy Fallon show up to explain NFTs to Homer and Marge. I think Jimmy Fallon and Gronk are impersonated, but Kylie Jenner is on the marketing on Twitter.

They have to go into the blockchain to rescue Bart. But when she gets in there, it turns out it's the blocktrain, and it turns into a Snowpiercer parody. Marge accidentally kills another of the worthless NFT and raises in value because she's decreased the supply. This promotes her further up the train. She goes on an NFT killing spree (mostly not shown even though you'd think this might have opportunities for jokes, but she kills a Poochie with diamond hands on it).

https://twitter.com/mattselman/status/1721335906559471927

Ralph and Milhouse's dads shove them into the machine to get money for them. They come out as a hybrid monster and Marge kills them with a hammer.

Homer is tempted to sell Bart to Mr. Burns, but Marge breaks them out just in time. Homer sells himself to Burns and is pleased to spend eternity in the swanky part of the Snowpiercer train. But then the train runs out of it's fuel (FOMO) and gets buried under an avalanche.

This was real bad. I really don't want to watch the rest after that.

Second story

Opens with the end of the Cape Feare episode, but this time Sideshow Bob murders Bart gruesomely. The alternate scene is animated like the show used to be, but the rest of the story is in new animation style, which is annoying.

30 years later, Lisa is a renowned criminal psychologist who wrote a book called Mindhunter. Officer Nelson Muntz comes to her school where she's the dean of the True Crime Department to tell her a murderer left her a message (it says "Hi Lisa" spelled with Rod Flanders' intestines).

There's a quick series of murders with characters in more and more elaborate crime scenes, ending with a Rube Goldberg machine that makes coffee made out of Sherri. Lisa goes to Sideshow Bob to figure the case out. All are labeled "the first" by the messages.

At the graveyard (Homer is dead and his tombstone says "choked on tennis ball". Marge's tombstone just says "died of sorrow").

Looks like they went with the first draft on that one. What a shock.

https://twitter.com/mattselman/status/1721338415214649417

Lisa realizes all the victims were first-borns.

Bob told Lisa something about an anagram, so she goes to Ana Gram's Abandoned Slaughterhouse where Nelson's killed with meat hooks and strung up. She finds a lair that looks just like her own bedroom and views security footage of herself murdering Nelson. In prison, she reveals she killed everyone to get sent to prison with Bob (she has a split personality). Maggie is revealed to be her accomplice as a prison guard who could get her close to Bob (adult Maggie takes off her security guard hat, puts a bow in her hair, and starts sucking on a pacifier.) Bob tries to run away but steps on a rake. Lisa turns on "Englishman" by Gilbert & Sullivan and murders Bob.

That one was better than the first one so I think I can push through to the end.

This Special Forces show looks stupid.

Third story

Homer is remanded by Smithers (who sounds horrrrrrrible) for eating donuts in the reactor. He drops a donut that rolls through radioactive muck into the "Life Extension Laboratory". He eats it and his DNA is mutated in his sleep.

Homer burps radioactive gas onto Ned, who turns into Homer in church and belches radioactive gas on the congregation.

This one sucks so bad.

Everyone turns into Homers. They try to get a lot of mileage out of Homer versions of all the Springfiedians but it's not funny.

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1721339120507556045

The government arrives and spirits off the kids, who haven't been changed. Dr. Frink tells the kids they're the only ones impervious to the virus and he needs them to get Homer's DNA. They find him at a men's room at a car wash ("It's the closest one mom will let him use"). Homer is hesitant to help because Springfield is a utopia to him. They reveal Marge is Homerized thinking he would cooperate then, but he's really into it.

Frink gets Homerized. They sing a song called "This must be just like living in paradise" which may or may not be original I don't know and it ends on a montage of the whole world getting Homerized.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

stop

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

You'll never stop the Simpsons

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ugh thank you for your service in recapping. Please don’t abuse your power by totally making them up as no one will check.

Didn’t they do the Bob kills Bart plot for a treehouse a few years back? I recall watching and it was unintentionally creepy as they had Bob obsessively playing with Bart’s dead body and it made it seem like Bob was really enjoying the idea, which has never been part of his character.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Ugh thank you for your service in recapping. Please don’t abuse your power by totally making them up as no one will check.

Didn’t they do the Bob kills Bart plot for a treehouse a few years back? I recall watching and it was unintentionally creepy as they had Bob obsessively playing with Bart’s dead body and it made it seem like Bob was really enjoying the idea, which has never been part of his character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csaT5fRg22o

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

:kstare:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Every single Sideshow Bob episode after the season 8 one ("Brother From Another Series") is dire. Which is even more frustrating because that episode actually nicely closes his feud with Bart.

Well okay, there's one exception - Sideshow Bob is actually really good in The Simpsons Ride.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

have you considered how funny the word vendetta is though

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Ror posted:

have you considered how funny the word vendetta is though

Every year on today's holiday, yes :kirby:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

that joke doesn't work in my time zone

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Halisnacks posted:

Reminiscing about the golden era is way less depressing than trying to pinpoint the lowest point.

My question: is the golden era (however you wish to define it) the best TV comedy of all time?

It's easy to forget how groundbreaking the Simpsons were when it first came out.

It was appointment viewing in college, the shared TV room would be packed for the new episode.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PostNouveau posted:

Second story

Opens with the end of the Cape Feare episode, but this time Sideshow Bob murders Bart gruesomely. The alternate scene is animated like the show used to be, but the rest of the story is in new animation style, which is annoying.

Saw this part. It’s actually pretty creepy and not funny at all. They did a decent job making it look like how it used to though.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I've caught one or two of the later Halloween episodes before and I seem to recall that being a recurring thing, that they more or less became straight horror with fewer funny bits for levity. In particular, there was more extensive and gruesome violence a la something like Rick and Morty. This then extended into non-Halloween episodes with bizarre poo poo like Sideshow Bob cutting his face off and Grampa's eyes falling out.

I know some of the older ones had some pretty nasty things in them too, but they usually went circle with it until it was funny again, like them turning inside out and then doing a parody of A Chorus Line. I like horror, but I don't think straight horror works with something like The Simpsons, which (at its peak) was otherwise super charming and let you develop a connection with the characters in a domestic setting, despite said characters being yellow cartoon people. That, and they were also very funny, but like the Bad Dream House salesman, I think I've mentioned that five or six times.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The one from like 6 or 7 years ago of Homer eating himself was maybe the most disturbing one they’ve ever done. I remember it having a specific warning for it since even they knew.

It also sucked and wasn’t funny.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

redshirt posted:

It's easy to forget how groundbreaking the Simpsons were when it first came out.

It was appointment viewing in college, the shared TV room would be packed for the new episode.

I’d look forward to the treehouse ep for weeks as appointment viewing and it delivered dammit.

Rewatched the stealing cable ep, enjoyed how well observed the Christian legalism was. Taking bread to feed a starving family is ok but putting jam on it is a sin.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Simpsons hasn't been good in 24 years and it's amazing that there is that much bad television for one series at all, let alone one that used to be great.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

That, and they were also very funny, but like the Bad Dream House salesman, I think I've mentioned that five or six times.

God, that's such a great joke.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
imagine if they had brought back Conan O'Brien as showrunner when NBC hosed over his Tonight Show bid

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I've caught one or two of the later Halloween episodes before and I seem to recall that being a recurring thing, that they more or less became straight horror with fewer funny bits for levity. In particular, there was more extensive and gruesome violence a la something like Rick and Morty. This then extended into non-Halloween episodes with bizarre poo poo like Sideshow Bob cutting his face off and Grampa's eyes falling out.

I know some of the older ones had some pretty nasty things in them too, but they usually went circle with it until it was funny again, like them turning inside out and then doing a parody of A Chorus Line. I like horror, but I don't think straight horror works with something like The Simpsons, which (at its peak) was otherwise super charming and let you develop a connection with the characters in a domestic setting, despite said characters being yellow cartoon people. That, and they were also very funny, but like the Bad Dream House salesman, I think I've mentioned that five or six times.

I think it's best when there's a mix of straight horror tales with others that are more like surreal or bizarre Simpsons twists too weird for the normal episodes. It's the worst when it's just jokes and goofs on some horror franchise or story, just thoughtlessly running the cast through a parody.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Khanstant posted:

I think it's best when there's a mix of straight horror tales with others that are more like surreal or bizarre Simpsons twists too weird for the normal episodes. It's the worst when it's just jokes and goofs on some horror franchise or story, just thoughtlessly running the cast through a parody.

I think parody works best when the creators clearly enjoy and respect the source material. Some of the parodies in the older Halloween episodes are some of my favourite segments, like The Raven, King Homer, The Shinning, most of the Twilight Zone ones, etc. If you're just doing a parody for the sake of it and/or the creators aren't invested, you usually get shallow, lazy, lame stuff (like Family Guy at its worst or those awful ___ Movie movies from the 2000s). This has the added bonus of you not even needing to know the source material; I barely saw any horror movies when I was a kid, nor was I familiar with The Twilight Zone or Edgar Allan Poe, but I still loved the segments because they were, at heart, good Simpsons episodes with some spooky bits in them.

As an aside, I still laugh at the bit where King Homer appears at the window, Marge gives a nonchalant "Oh hi Homey!" (like Marge would do) and then there's an awkward cut to a shot where his arm slowly yanks her out of the room as she screams wildly. This is based on a single shot in the film that looks really crude by modern standards. It's such a small part of the segment and they didn't need to include it, but they did because they saw the film and noted how funny it looked.

I think a good example of a modern equivalent that's more up my street is something like Inside No 9, which is obviously scary when it wants to be but also very funny as it picks up on little things. Shearsmith and Pemberton also clearly love the things they parody, which is obvious when they make nods to things like The Wicker Man.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And even with Family Guy you can tell sometimes when they actually care about the source material, mostly Seth McFarlane's love of showtunes.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Speaking of lovely Treehouse of Horrors, I was watching some bad ones at Halloween time for some unknown reason and the one where Homer becomes The Blob pissed me right the gently caress off. At one point he’s eaten everything in the kitchen and the family comes in to see he’s also eaten Snowball, whose head outline is seen in his stomach crying to get out.

So what does he do when Lisa (I think) asks if he also ate Snowball? He tells her no before whacking the cat in the head multiple times with a cast iron frying pan until she dies. What. In. The. Mother. loving. gently caress.

Who in the poo poo thought that was “funny”? What monstrous rear end in a top hat pitched that and said, “yes, graphic violence against a cat is funny because it’s not real”? Why was that animated? Why? Uggghhh.

The episode also ends with Mayor Quimby and Homer striking a deal so he can hide behind a homeless shelter facade and continue eating people, in this case the homeless population of Springfield. Nothing like joking that homeless people are expendable nobodies. Uggggggggghhhhhh.

Just a mean-spirited, awful, unnecessarily cruel, rear end butt poop fart, lovely gently caress of an rear end in a top hat THoH segment. I didn’t even stick around for the rest of the segments or episodes because I was livid about the Snowball joke.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Speaking of lovely Treehouse of Horrors, I was watching some bad ones at Halloween time for some unknown reason and the one where Homer becomes The Blob pissed me right the gently caress off. At one point he’s eaten everything in the kitchen and the family comes in to see he’s also eaten Snowball, whose head outline is seen in his stomach crying to get out.

So what does he do when Lisa (I think) asks if he also ate Snowball? He tells her no before whacking the cat in the head multiple times with a cast iron frying pan until she dies. What. In. The. Mother. loving. gently caress.

Who in the poo poo thought that was “funny”? What monstrous rear end in a top hat pitched that and said, “yes, graphic violence against a cat is funny because it’s not real”? Why was that animated? Why? Uggghhh.

The episode also ends with Mayor Quimby and Homer striking a deal so he can hide behind a homeless shelter facade and continue eating people, in this case the homeless population of Springfield. Nothing like joking that homeless people are expendable nobodies. Uggggggggghhhhhh.

Just a mean-spirited, awful, unnecessarily cruel, rear end butt poop fart, lovely gently caress of an rear end in a top hat THoH segment. I didn’t even stick around for the rest of the segments or episodes because I was livid about the Snowball joke.

i hated how mean spirited the show became.

one of the last straws for me was that episode where Lisa disguises herself as a male student at her own school, and as part of her initiation she has to hit Ralph, so she punches him and Ralph just starts crying and runs away. There was no joke, it was just fuckin mean for no reason and not in the way I was used to from the simpsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You're gonna hate when you get to an episode with Itchy and Scratchy