Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Silly Burrito posted:

remove the cat

Oh now thats not gonna fly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

intercept the cat?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
give the cat the dang box

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Silly Burrito posted:

Keep the rug, remove the cat

Rug is half Pushpin's brother, Paperclip, hence the Roomba. You have no idea how much the big boy sheds.

That is 15 pounds of the most chill cat you can imagine, last time I brought him to the vet they thought he was sick because if you pick him up you just get a sad meow and 15 pounds of dead weight.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 5, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

My mom has a giant bag of orange floof like that. Pictured here inspecting my workmanship after I fixed a kitchen light.

Not relevant at all, but this is a really cute picture I took today.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 5, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Elviscat posted:

My mom has a giant bag of orange floof like that. Pictured here inspecting my workmanship after I fixed a kitchen light.

Not relevant at all, but this is a really cute picture I took today.

That last picture looks like someone told a really good joke.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Jymmybob posted:

How has this thread been giving electrical advice when no one even knows what a clamp ammeter is. It's like watching a mechanic trying to figure out a screwdriver.

Like Slowbloke said, we're just enjoying the ride; he already got the actual info he needs. The Wallbox stuff uses them on the [sub]panel lines, too, but then actual realtime load balancing communication between EVSEs is done over hardwired bus lines (in-wall Cat5 wiring) instead of WiFi-Cloud-EVSE.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Just be cool like me and get a dedicated 100 amp service for the garage, I'll always have 50 amps available for a car.

Though this is all theoretical, I'm just getting started on thinking about getting a new car, and it being an electric car.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

FISHMANPET posted:

Just be cool like me and get a dedicated 100 amp service for the garage, I'll always have 50 amps available for a car.

Though this is all theoretical, I'm just getting started on thinking about getting a new car, and it being an electric car.

Lol the house we have is like this. It sucks having to pay 2 separate power bills which comes with 2 base fees.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My garage is detached with a sub panel fed by an underground cable with an undersized neutral. It's not feasible to dig up the yard and replace the cable, and because of where my service entrance is, there's no space to run power from in the air from the house to the garage. So when everything else in the house got replaced, the electrician said the best bet would be to just get a new service for the garage, and put in the appropriate panel for that. So regardless of the electric car, the long term plan has always been to get a second dedicated service.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://twitter.com/dsgolson/status/1721214968304136578

https://twitter.com/dsgolson/status/1721216438114177308

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

FISHMANPET posted:

My garage is detached with a sub panel fed by an underground cable with an undersized neutral. It's not feasible to dig up the yard and replace the cable, and because of where my service entrance is, there's no space to run power from in the air from the house to the garage. So when everything else in the house got replaced, the electrician said the best bet would be to just get a new service for the garage, and put in the appropriate panel for that. So regardless of the electric car, the long term plan has always been to get a second dedicated service.

Undersized neutral is zero problem whatsoever for L2 EV charging, the neutral isn't even connected to the vast majority of the chargers, it does absolutely nothing for them.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/i1_roger/status/1721302507341881692?t=03tdHdmPhtqOnsoBYPO5Zg&s=19

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I have 6kW of emergency heat in my heatpimp, but only a 24A EVSE, and I have a 200A service and it's fine.

heatpimp

meatpimp

choking smokers

don't you think the joker laughs at you

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Indiana_Krom posted:

Undersized neutral is zero problem whatsoever for L2 EV charging, the neutral isn't even connected to the vast majority of the chargers, it does absolutely nothing for them.

Code no longer allows an undersized neutral, even though electrically it would be fine with a 240V load. So my sub panel is limited to 30 or 40 amps because of that. And I don't have a dedicated ground back to the main panel either, which is also no longer up to code (though the inspector grandfathered the sub panel with a separate ground because it was way better than what was there before). Considering the state of the old sub panel and other existing electrical, I'm not even convinced the existing underground wiring was ever up to code. So I'm happy to eventually be no longer relying on any of that.

And my local utility has an EV pricing option that requires a separate service, so there could be upsides to me doing that for an EV anyways.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Talorat posted:

All those white clasp connectors go around each of the hot lines coming from your breakers. They do indeed hook up to the base unit via a 3.5mm audio jack, presumably because the signal they get is analog anyways. Each clasp measures the total amperage being pulled per circuit so you can get a nice display of where your power is going. Here’s what mine looks like:

You’ll notice it doesn’t add up to 100%, that’s because I don’t have my ev charger monitored by it, since it’s an emporia charger it is in the app separately. Also I hosed I’m choosing which circuits to monitor and missed a couple high load ones, but am too lazy to fix it right now.

Yeah, I want one myself, it looks useful

Elviscat posted:

Stop being loving weird, return that thing and just use a regular loving EVSE. That one doesn't even do the unnecessary thing that you want it to do, even if you somehow get it installed without killing yourself.

E: like I invested actual effort into proving that your service is adequate to power a 48A charger, even under the absolute worst case scenario.

My landlord isn't spending $5000 to upgrade my 100A panel with 5 open slots to a bigger one. The heat death of the universe is more likely to happen first.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

A lot of utilities are dicks about running a seperate service to an outbuilding, glad yours isn't.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My landlord isn't spending $5000 to upgrade my 100A panel with 5 open slots to a bigger one. The heat death of the universe is more likely to happen first.

Well yeah, it's situation dependent, it makes sense to use a load-balancing charger in your case.

It makes no sense to use one in a 1300sqft house with a 200A service and gas heat, like 3O has.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh yeah, we saw a Cyber Truck the other day, driving West on I-10 from Las Cruces.

Ms Cruft said it was ugly.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Might test drive a lyriq tomorrow.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Lot of people will forgive the CT's ugly looks if it hits a decent price point, though I'm not sure it'll do that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Lot of people will forgive the CT's ugly looks if it hits a decent price point, though I'm not sure it'll do that.

so it's gotta beat the intro $50k of the f150 lightning with better features and range and

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mediaphage posted:

so it's gotta beat the intro $50k of the f150 lightning with better features and range and

watch it go on to handily outsell the lightning despite being worse in a million different ways

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ok Comboomer posted:

watch it go on to handily outsell the lightning despite being worse in a million different ways

Impossible if only for the fact that is no way they could produce them at 1/10th the rate of the lightning, if that.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

It makes no sense to use one in a 1300sqft house with a 200A service and gas heat, like 3O has.

Maybe 3O is just a huge nerd and wants to play with a new gadget.

And for all we know, he has three TIG welders in the basement and 6 circuits to run his army of water kettles.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

priznat posted:

Impossible if only for the fact that is no way they could produce them at 1/10th the rate of the lightning, if that.

TBH that might not be too hard given that they were barely making them for most of this year

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

What kind of heat pump would I need to run an iron forge?

Asking for a friend.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a "used model S buying guide" someone can recommend

Model S got a nose refresh in ~2016, and I think panel fit and finish improved dramatically ... Sometime after 2015. Probably later than that. I think the model 3 has a "million mile drive unit" as of 2018 so presumably that technology trickled up to the S at some point

Looks like there's a handful of 2018 model S for under 40k? ha;lp

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

cruft posted:

What kind of heat pump would I need to run an iron forge?

Asking for a friend.

A heat pump wouldn't be ideal for that application, since they can only deliver a set delta-t, you'd need a refrigerant with an extremely high boiling point, mercury maybe? The various mechanical bits for pumping and sealing the fluid would also have to be intensely heat resistant. I think you might be able to get there with nickel based superalloy moving bits, mercury lubricated hydrodynamic bearings and platinum seals though.

cruft posted:

Maybe 3O is just a huge nerd and wants to play with a new gadget.

And for all we know, he has three TIG welders in the basement and 6 circuits to run his army of water kettles.

I have to unplug my car if I want to plug my TIG welder in, so I don't have this problem.

I'm really kicking myself for leaving a 10kW touchscreen toaster joke out of that load calc sheet tho, I should wait until I'm sober to do this stuff.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Don't they have like 1,000,000 pre-orders or something? I think it'd be really funny if a lot of those are people hoping to flip 'em, and the price absolutely tanks, leaving a bunch of people holding a leaky $100,000 bag with inch wide panel gaps.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
2 million according to a "per a crowd-sourced data tracker"

(lol)

https://insideevs.com/news/678191/tesla-cybertruck-orders-5-year-wait-times/

i love the depravity of the sphere of desperate musk bloggers and shills

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The preorder amount was really low, like just $100 iirc. It got a lot of people just slapping one down. 90% of them will probably not be interested in going through with it for whatever reason.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Is there a "used model S buying guide" someone can recommend

Model S got a nose refresh in ~2016, and I think panel fit and finish improved dramatically ... Sometime after 2015. Probably later than that. I think the model 3 has a "million mile drive unit" as of 2018 so presumably that technology trickled up to the S at some point

Looks like there's a handful of 2018 model S for under 40k? ha;lp

get a Model 3 instead

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

priznat posted:

The preorder amount was really low, like just $100 iirc. It got a lot of people just slapping one down. 90% of them will probably not be interested in going through with it for whatever reason.

Yep. Same thing happened when the $40k Lightning vanished.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
https://tesla-info.com/guide/tesla-model-s-buyers-guide.php

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

get a Model 3 instead

What is the rationale here? We're targeting a full size car

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hadlock posted:

What is the rationale here? We're targeting a full size car

the Model S doesn’t rly feel appreciably bigger, IMO, at least not in a way that will matter to a growing family. It’s a bigger sedan, so the front occupants might feel a bit more legroom but it’s not going to translate to appreciably more room to put kids and their stuff.

A newer/new 3 will be in better shape, be better built, and probably give you fewer headaches than a ~2018 S. Plus the S has a bunch of weird interior design choices, especially with the center console and the dividers/bottle holder things. Idk. I’ve driven/temporarily lived with both recently and I wasn’t super impressed going from the 3 to the S, although the latter did feel like it made more power and was more erm-“stately” feeling. Like it’s definitely a bigger car, I just wouldn’t go in thinking it’s much more practical.

Alternatively I’d recommend looking at something like an ID.4 or an Ioniq 5.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

2024 Renault Scenic e-tech has been CUV-ified but will apparently have 625km in official range! Previously they've been immensely practical, affordable vehicles so will be interesting to see the price tag on it

Compare to the 2022 design (which looks great in person):

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

distortion park posted:

2024 Renault Scenic e-tech has been CUV-ified but will apparently have 625km in official range! Previously they've been immensely practical, affordable vehicles so will be interesting to see the price tag on it

Compare to the 2022 design (which looks great in person):

It will also have full android on the onboard systems, renault native infotainment has been historically lovely so it will be a big jump.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
EX30 reviews are out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeGInZFuFvs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve been blazing through the reviews. They’re really positive. Everyone’s buzzing about the suspension. Mat from carwow says the guy tuning it has been with Volvo for decades and this is his last car before retirement.

The negative things largely line up with what we already knew:
1. No HUD or dashboard; speed is on the center screen
2. Rear seats are pretty cramped for taller passengers
3. Lots of stuff buried in menus Tesla style, including climate control

That said I’m pretty psyched to have placed a deposit on this months ago. Looking forward to a test drive. I’m shopping for a new car only really to get adaptive cruise control for the road trips — definitely wanna try that out.