Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I might be a public school teacher who was a product of public education the entire way, but I get that people have to do what they think is best for their kids in whatever situation. It is a shame that is also the attitude creating the current situation.

It was funny talking to my sister-in-law about education in a different context and being told “it is just different for kids now” as if I am not acutely aware of what things are like. I have extended family who homeschools all their kids because of a few incidents, and I cannot imagine what the end goal will be to continue sheltering them into adulthood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

DuckHuntDog posted:

I might be a public school teacher who was a product of public education the entire way, but I get that people have to do what they think is best for their kids in whatever situation. It is a shame that is also the attitude creating the current situation.

It was funny talking to my sister-in-law about education in a different context and being told “it is just different for kids now” as if I am not acutely aware of what things are like. I have extended family who homeschools all their kids because of a few incidents, and I cannot imagine what the end goal will be to continue sheltering them into adulthood.

The goal is for them to be Christian home school Instagram influencers. Very lucrative field.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

The goal is for them to be Christian home school Instagram influencers. Very lucrative field.

the number of tradmoms on tiktok is oversaturating demand imo

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

DuckHuntDog posted:

That is part of the joy of public schools having completely different accountability from either charters or private schools (which have basically none). It also comes with real consequences, see the state now running HISD. In some counties, they will try and push all kids from facilities like that into one particular district if they have multiple, usually the same one that has the JJAEP.

It is completely unsurprising that any sort of extra accountability with “school choice” was immediately shut down too.

Yeah, I heard the public school admin out about their concerns. We enrolled a highly transient population often with special needs at their school, they drop out, get expelled, or just otherwise go missing, their dropout rate spikes. It feels like it shouldn't have to count against them, but I also get how removing accountability for an at-risk population gives less incentive to retain those students. It was nearly a decade ago, so I always hope that got worked out better since then and coordination actually now occurs between DFPS, foster placements, and ISDs - but that's probably too hopeful.

Pros and cons on the specialized schools - there's a bigger push with foster care now towards "normalcy", which includes integrating foster kids into traditional schools. So clustering foster youth gives them less experience with non-institutionalized social dynamics. But traditional high schools, at least a decade back, were just not catered to that population, or didn't have the capacity to help even if they knew how to work with foster youth, who often move placements and schools. So I came out of it feeling like...yeah, alternative school programs (public or charter) really don't give teenagers a feeling of being regular kids in school, but they at least seem to get their situation and help them earn credits quickly in the short time they're there.

DuckHuntDog posted:

Having a young toddler now who is still not in school (cared for by grandmother), I now appreciate the apprehension more and there's a lot about going to public school (in rural areas) that didn't work out for my wife or me. But it's also extremely difficult to do homeschooling the right way, unless your goal is to just raise white Christian nationalist soldiers, and he's got to learn at some point how to live in the world independent of us. One of my best friends has been fighting with her ex-husband for a few years now to get her kids into public school (the oldest was in it pre-pandemic), and the courts finally mandated it so I think they're going now. He was evangelical Christian homeschooled his entire life, and it's really clear how much his parents failed their kids and now their grandkids with their homeschooling efforts.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 6, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BudKennedy/status/1721686023380345039

Oh look another pedophile conservative politician

https://twitter.com/The88thTxlege/status/1721673530285162660

:yum:

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 7, 2023

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
Conservatives calling LGBTQ people pedophiles are projecting basically every single time. If they're not pedophiles themselves, they're aggressively covering for one.

Special session #4 is not going to wait until Dan Patrick gets better? It's honestly not that much time to wait, but nothing will happen if Patrick is out even if there was an appetite for another special.

Someone needs to do the math on how much each special session costs each household in taxes, or even just an overall number. Republicans are so unbelievably wasteful with money.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's basically cancelling Thanksgiving for the entire legislature, that'll probably work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If Dan Patrick is out, can they at least legalize weed while they are in there.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

If Dan Patrick is out, can they at least legalize weed while they are in there.

Please don't get my hopes up.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's crazy that I can fly to the valley and back with a weed vape but can't drive with it

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

i say swears online posted:

it's crazy that I can fly to the valley and back with a weed vape but can't drive with it

weed pen I'm calling the cops on u criminal

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

is this on your motherfuckin' persons citizen? I'd never have the cajones

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's a felony pal, enjoy state jail.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jesus christ you do-gooders

just get an unmarked vape, they're identical to the delta-8 poo poo you can get in any gas station in texas. put that on the conveyor belt in your carry-on and they don't care

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
i've flown w/ weed pens many times. it ain't no thang anymore

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

My liquor store was selling canned drinks that have CBD and THC in them. Didn't know that was legal here. Also wondering what part of pot is illegal if both CBD and THC are not.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
i've seen weed on sale at farmers' markets around houston.

i p sure the general thinking around hpd and the harris co sheriff's office is that while weed remains illegal and the state and federal level, they're not gonna enforce it. got more important poo poo to do

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The part that says weed or marijuana

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

He's basically cancelling Thanksgiving for the entire legislature, that'll probably work.

I don't get what he thinks will happen when you schedule 4 back-to-back special sessions after the regular session and with an impeachment trial halfway through the specials. Everyone already hates each other by May, it doesn't get better if you keep them there longer.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mastajake posted:

My liquor store was selling canned drinks that have CBD and THC in them. Didn't know that was legal here. Also wondering what part of pot is illegal if both CBD and THC are not.

They exploit something in the law where if you dilute the THC content enough, it no longer counts as selling weed. At least that's what the company near me does.

Also, a serving size is 1/3rd of a can, so drinking a whole one got me way too high.

Also, there is no quality control, so drinking a whole one has also done absolutely nothing to me before.

I do not recommend them.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 7, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I don't get what he thinks will happen when you schedule 4 back-to-back special sessions after the regular session and with an impeachment trial halfway through the specials. Everyone already hates each other by May, it doesn't get better if you keep them there longer.

He made Springer quit
https://twitter.com/DrewSpringer/status/1721925648476700959

Idk how close the thresholds are in the Senate but I doubt Dan can count on Springer's voucher vote if he's outta there

Anyway, this all falls under my grand theory of "Abbott is a moron with no juice and no political instincts so he's just going to keep doing this". The primary filing deadline is in December, and I'm skeptical that Abbott can conjure 25 or so credible candidates to primary rural Reps in a two month period. So when that doesn't happen, is he just going to pretend like he didn't try and fail to cram vouchers through the lege?

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 7, 2023

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
what's springer gonna do instead?

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
https://www.texastribune.org/2023/11/07/supreme-court-guns-domestic-violence-rahimi/

Supreme Court is hearing the case on if firearms possession can be banned for someone with a protective order against them. The guy at the center of the case is textbook definition of "bad guy with a gun", who just casually shoots everyone and everything in Dallas, so of course the 5th circuit decided he absolutely has a right to his guns.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/11/07/texas-hospitals-emergency-abortion/

Meanwhile, the 5th circuit just took up the case of Biden admin against Texas to let ER doctors perform abortions during medical emergencies. I heard like...ten seconds of the court hearing today, with a judge arguing with Biden admin, and women are hosed.

Dems work too hard to argue Republican viewpoints "fairly", even when the dominating Republican perspective is fringe and dangerous. It's completely fair at this point to portray Republican politicians' stance and starting point of these arguments as "Republicans want every dangerous person to have a gun and want to force women and even sexually-abused young girls to bleed to death carrying dying fetuses". That is 5th circuit, that is Trump's judges, that is their starting point right now.

I'm tired of seeing Democrats argue with Republicans about 20 week elective abortions or prefacing their statements with how they own a gun and love guns...the Republicans running poo poo want to ban all abortions, even for ectopic pregnancies and others that will kill the person who is pregnant, and allow all guns for white Christian nationalists, and have wildly succeeded already...start there.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 7, 2023

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

They exploit something in the law where if you dilute the THC content enough, it no longer counts as selling weed. At least that's what the company near me does.
more or less, yeah. everyone seems to have landed on an interpretation of federal law/regulation that implies that "hemp-derived consumables" are legal as long as they have less than 0.3% THC by weight. So... just make the gummy or can of seltzer big enough to hit that mark and you're good, for now, at the federal level, at least. (this is also how you're able to get actual weed so easily now too, everyone is treating that limit on THC content as being specifically "THC", not "THCa", which is... THC before you heat it up and the "a" falls off, which is where most of weed's THC content comes from. Good luck trying to explain those loopholes to a random state or local cop, though.)

I've had weed drinks that I've liked and would recommend, but this is all unregulated and quality is inconsistent from vendor-to-vendor so I'm not surprised that experiences can vary widely, the current gray market is better than the old times but still not as good as proper legalization and regulation

Jake Gittes posted:

i've seen weed on sale at farmers' markets around houston.
I've been seeing "CBD" shops pop up everywhere lately, but it was almost comical how many new ones were in houston when I visited last month, it's like Starbucks in the early 2000s with one on every big street corner now. they all seem to have realized that they can sell more than just boring CBD, and some aren't being subtle about it anymore, a few of these shops are tossing up "GET YOUR THC HERE" signs out front now

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I still buy my weed from the weed man, cash is king baby

the price has gone down a lot though so that owns

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Another Biden win

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Dems work too hard to argue Republican viewpoints "fairly", even when the dominating Republican perspective is fringe and dangerous. It's completely fair at this point to portray Republican politicians' stance and starting point of these arguments as "Republicans want every dangerous person to have a gun and want to force women and even sexually-abused young girls to bleed to death carrying dying fetuses". That is 5th circuit, that is Trump's judges, that is their starting point right now.

I'm tired of seeing Democrats argue with Republicans about 20 week elective abortions or prefacing their statements with how they own a gun and love guns...the Republicans running poo poo want to ban all abortions, even for ectopic pregnancies and others that will kill the person who is pregnant, and allow all guns for white Christian nationalists, and have wildly succeeded already...start there.

Conservatives and their judges haven't hidden their open disdain for the law for decades and make poo poo up whole cloth routinely yet every liberal judge and academic has spent that same time tripping over themselves earnestly debating the merits of textualism/originalism. There isn't a law on the books that will survive a couple of notable SCOTUS benefactors from deciding they want it gone.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/11/07/supreme-court-guns-domestic-violence-rahimi/

Supreme Court is hearing the case on if firearms possession can be banned for someone with a protective order against them. The guy at the center of the case is textbook definition of "bad guy with a gun", who just casually shoots everyone and everything in Dallas, so of course the 5th circuit decided he absolutely has a right to his guns.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/11/07/texas-hospitals-emergency-abortion/

Meanwhile, the 5th circuit just took up the case of Biden admin against Texas to let ER doctors perform abortions during medical emergencies. I heard like...ten seconds of the court hearing today, with a judge arguing with Biden admin, and women are hosed.

As a party, Dems are way past overdue using skull duggery behind the scenes to get dirt on political opponents and blackmail them to get what they want to pass. And no I don't really care that it's not realistic, nor do I really care if the GOP did the same thing. If both were doing that kind of poo poo to one another threatening to air dirty laundry public for smear campaigns you would either have both sides on their best behavior, or no one would be electable.

It's also incredibly unrealistic because it would also upend the current status quo of power sharing instead of having anything meaningfully positive accomplished or negatively.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

I still buy my weed from the weed man, cash is king baby

the price has gone down a lot though so that owns

yeah it's collapsed and vape quality is through the roof. via a telegram group, some UT kid hands me a brown paper bag and I hand him cash. a month's supply is like $30 now

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Jiro posted:

As a party, Dems are way past overdue using skull duggery behind the scenes to get dirt on political opponents and blackmail them to get what they want to pass. And no I don't really care that it's not realistic, nor do I really care if the GOP did the same thing. If both were doing that kind of poo poo to one another threatening to air dirty laundry public for smear campaigns you would either have both sides on their best behavior, or no one would be electable.

It's also incredibly unrealistic because it would also upend the current status quo of power sharing instead of having anything meaningfully positive accomplished or negatively.

I think it's always weird to see certain national Democrats, but moreso just the media and public discourse, demand bipartisanship for the sake of it and come down so much harder on Democrats for going negative or not being incredibly generous with how they interpret GOP actions. And then live in a state of decades of Republican-only rule where the party in charge would never dream of compromising or showing kindness to their Democratic colleagues positions, or even trying to be fair or honest about what Democrats are trying to do. At the state level, there's not meaningful power sharing. Because the Republicans have power, so they don't have to care what Democrats think.

It's not even about personal dirt. It's about not looking at full abortion bans that are forcing people to birth headless fetuses and bleed in hospital parking lots and then taking Republicans at their word and discussing the merits of 20-week elective abortion bans. We've had decades of Republicans putting pictures of 6-month old babies on billboards and saying Democrats want to kill them, but the media and public beat down any Democrats who call out extremism as too partisan or narrow-minded.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, the GOP primary voting base is made up of nihilistic psychopaths and the Democratic one is not. Normie voters like bipartisanship, there are significant numbers of voters who always vote for the opposite parties for congress and the presidency because they think that's Good Government.

e: oh also when you whine to the GOP about bipartisanship they tell you to shove it up your rear end, Democrats wring their hands and listen to you.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 7, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

comptroller update: of 15,800 arbitration requests filed so far this year, 8,200 of them are for properties located in Harris county. it's all from agencies that have sprung up and pester people until they file

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Hello, I'm John Democrat and *trips and drops briefcase, spilling hundreds of decorums*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

comptroller update: of 15,800 arbitration requests filed so far this year, 8,200 of them are for properties located in Harris county. it's all from agencies that have sprung up and pester people until they file

Im one of them - but doing the arb on my own.

gently caress HCAD. They made an error in my land valuation and used a comparable sale where they ascribed the sale of two lots to a single lot doubling my land value. I pointed that out, got it changed for like 700 properties and then HCAD came back and was like yeah your land value is lower like you said, but magically your dwelling value has skyrocketed since May! Crazy how that happened.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

how far has your application progressed? HCAD will want to settle with you but doesn't have the manpower to reach out, they're swamped. if you take initiative they may agree to a number you toss out immediately

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

how far has your application progressed? HCAD will want to settle with you but doesn't have the manpower to reach out, they're swamped. if you take initiative they may agree to a number you toss out immediately

I've gone through the ARB hearing and got my arbitration notice last Friday which I have 60 days to respond to.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Jiro posted:

LBJ got up to some of that but he got dethroned by the Vietnam War and that probably closed that door to Dems for a while.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not really sure what skullduggery you think would be easily available. With blackmail especially we live in an era where lots of people are running around with a host of scandals that used to be able to torpedo political careers, and they just...don't resign in disgrace. The threat of scandal is not meaningful. If you dug up more dirt on your enemies, why wouldn't you just go straight to putting it out there to damage them, maybe add to actual court cases against them.

The one thing I do know the Dems probably should've been more aggressive at is drawing a house of representatives district map in New York in 2022. And of course, New York dems also failed at investigating and catching George Santos while he was running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/_fat_ugly_rat_/status/1722069207968366870

We are DOA if Gutierrez wins the Dem Senate primary