Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

It's pretty wild how few ratings Scavenger's Reign has on IMDB. I think also when they (IF THEY) release it to the rest of the world it's going to suffer because people will have watched it elsewhere. I'm kinda surprised none of the replies to his tweet are people asking why it's not out outside of the US but maybe they don't wanna accidentally admit they've pirated it, I dunno.

It's gotta be the limited audience in the states. And not to generalize american stereotypes, but the show might have more uptake with an american audience if there were more Kris style characters and less Ursula style characters. They're not shooting the aliens with guns enough.

It being on a tertiary network doesn't help either.

I worry that you're right that the show won't get any sort of big release anywhere with the way it's being slowly unfurled. I feel like the show will get some slowly built up (limited) popularity from word of mouth, like how it's happening in this thread and surprising us with how good it is. But it's never going to have its Tiger King moment where everyone is watching and talking about it everywhere.

Taear posted:

Also it's Polyanna Macintosh! Which is cool.

Forgive my ignorance, but who? Why? I feel pretty out of the loop with a lot of the cast. Only just started watching Loki for Wunmi Mosaku, and didn't realize Levi is Maeby from Arrested Development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jehde posted:

I worry that you're right that the show won't get any sort of big release anywhere with the way it's being slowly unfurled. I feel like the show will get some slowly built up (limited) popularity from word of mouth, like how it's happening in this thread and surprising us with how good it is. But it's never going to have its Tiger King moment where everyone is watching and talking about it everywhere.

Forgive my ignorance, but who? Why? I feel pretty out of the loop with a lot of the cast. Only just started watching Loki for Wunmi Mosaku, and didn't realize Levi is Maeby from Arrested Development.

She was the head of the weird scavenger guys in Walking Dead but she's been on a few things here in the UK (she's from Scotland). "The Woman" is sorta famous.
Think she's in Vikings too? Although I don't watch that so I can't be sure.

My worry with it being slow burn is that they'll cancel it. Especially in the current climate

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A Sometimes Food posted:

Also worth noting part of the reason he won all those duels is a, relaxed, attitude regarding fair play. The duel with Sasaki Kojiro he won using an oversized wooden club made from a boat oar for example.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

My worry with it being slow burn is that they'll cancel it. Especially in the current climate

At first I got the feeling of a contained mini-series, which I would still be happy enough with. But the way the last few episodes have fleshed out the world with more scavangers has made me think about how the series could be expanded upon. I hope that there's enough muster to continue with something.

And cheers for the context on Polyanna McIntosh! I'm not on that side of the atlantic so that makes sense. I also haven't started the sequel series to Vikings yet, so I'll look forward to seeing her in that when I get around to it. The Woman sounds interesting though, probably going to check that out sometime.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I just got done watching Blue Eye Samurai on netflix.

It's a show nobody is going to watch because it's asian-centric anime and it has a weird name. But the 100 on Rotten Tomatoes they earned. I don't know any of the names of the writers or directors but they woke up and chose violence.

They earned every point of that 100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ1yQn17lbE

Thank you for recommending this. After the first episode I was hooked and ended up watching the whole thing yesterday.

The animation is great, the plot does not shy away from the harsh realities of Japan at the time, the characters are great, and while I was able to figure out parts of the plot it didn't detract from its enjoyment. I was even surprised by how much female and male nudity it had, and not just for the sake of nudity.

My only complaint right now is a cliche samurai movie one. Misu is a Terminator and any one of their wounds should have taken them out. Hell, one episode ends with them barely alive and the next starts a few hours later with them looking fully healed. Its a small complaint since there are countless examples of that in lots of media, *cough* John Wick *cough*

At the end of the day I would recommend anybody reading this thread to check it out, its probably your jam.

Edit: I forgot to mention the music. Its good but I was not expecting the modern songs showing up I was loving floored when a cover of Metallica's "For Whom The Bell Tolls" starts playing while they are staring down the boss castle.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 5, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Taear posted:

It's pretty wild how few ratings Scavenger's Reign has on IMDB. I think also when they (IF THEY) release it to the rest of the world it's going to suffer because people will have watched it elsewhere. I'm kinda surprised none of the replies to his tweet are people asking why it's not out outside of the US but maybe they don't wanna accidentally admit they've pirated it, I dunno.

I'm seeing a lot of "alternative" series getting minimal to no buzz since the rarbg tracker shut down announcement. Since torrenting is no longer "easy", the people that stumbles on that low barrier of entry no longer downloads, comments and makes good alt series sorta mute over social media.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And if you want to learn more about Miyamoto Musashi why not do it through the magic of puppets?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7bSLlN_C1A
Guy was basically a murder hobo, but if you just ask permission first you upgrade from serial killer to legend, an import lesson of consent for everyone.

Holy poo poo this guy was nuts for real.

"So how did you die?"

"I accepted a duel with the murder hobo who murders people in crazy ways and was murdered."

"Yeah, that makes sense."

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
famous murder hobo victim Sasaki Kojirō is also in the new Onimusha series

Blue Eye Samurai is definitely way better than Onimusha. Really good writing. The only thing it doesnt have that Onimusha does is a scene where a buddhist monk fights a giant bell.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Started watching Blue Eye Samurai, really good so far, that training montage with that guitar riff felt pretty out of place though.

Holy poo poo that blade quenching scene looked amazing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the kojiro duel is one of those events that's been so often embellished that there's some dispute over whether it happened it all but history generally does paint musashi as a guy who was really good at killing people with a sword and whose view of duels mainly consisted of "they can't complain about following the rules if they're dead"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The wikipedia article has a bit about how his opponent's sword chopped his headband off but somehow didn't cut him, while he straight slices through the other dudes head. The passage reads more like a fictional wiki synopsis of an episode, but starts off very specific with date and time (8:00) of things. The citation for parts of it leads to writings by Dave Lowry, who himself almost sounds like a fictional character at first:

quote:

Mr. Dave Lowry literally grew up in the Japanese cultural arts. As a boy, he commenced a lifelong study of Yagyu Shinkage Ryu swordsmanship under a Japanese teacher who was living in Missouri. In 1985, Mr. Lowry's experiences growing up as a Westerner, who was deeply immersed in Japanese cultural and martial arts, formed the basis for Autumn Lightning (Shambhala), his first book, which was widely acclaimed. His sequel to this book, Persimmon Wind, was published by Tuttle.

Mr. Dave Lowry has a degree in English, and works as a professional writer. He has authored numerous books, including Sword and Brush (Shambhala); his monthly columns appear in several martial arts magazines, and he is the restaurant critic for St. Louis Magazine.

I looked up that first book and it opens with a nameless swordsman crouched cutting a drop of water with his sword, before the minnesota kid wakes up to "born to be wild" on the radio. Then it immediately descends into exactly the kind of horrible language a 1960s missouri boy might say think or write so I slammed that rabbithole shut.

A better citation lead to a small gallery of art by Musashi himself and he's pretty great for a dude you only ever hear about his swordwork. Seeing that sculpture he carved makes me think there's some truth behind his weapon carving antics, if nothing else the dude can clearly wood sculpt competently when he wants to.
https://www.kampaibudokai.org/MusashiArt.htm

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Qmass posted:

blue eye samurai is VERY good

Yeah, it was great. Loved it. Ended up watching it back to back with Onimusha which was awesome. If I had to pick which one I liked better I'd say Blue Eye, but both were great though.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Fishy Flip posted:

Yeah, it was great. Loved it. Ended up watching it back to back with Onimusha which was awesome. If I had to pick which one I liked better I'd say Blue Eye, but both were great though.

:yeah: except I watched Onimusha first

continuing to be impressed by netflix's animations

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Taear posted:

I just don't bother asking anymore, and given so many things just don't make it here, I've got no quams admitting I downloaded it, but saying it won't make any difference, either.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah Blue Eyed Samurai really delivered. I didn't know if I would like it going in because past attempts at anime style stuff from western studios haven't looked too good. But the animation studio Blue Spirit was behind some of the better looking episodes of Marvel's What If so they were a good choice. And it was pretty far from anime in style which helped. I'm a bit fan of how the mouths were animated, lots of subtlety in the expressions and slightly asymmetrical quirks. It looks like they put a lot of effort into naturalistic lipsync.

Especially in the later episodes the compositions are phenomenal, just one beautiful composition after another. And the story treated history with proper weight. I think episode 5 is the one that will win awards, what with the interlocking extremely ambitious fight and the backstory and the play to knit it all together. That's also the only episode where the husband and wife team that created it didn't hand over directing duties to anyone else.

Like Arcane, this show apparently took around 5 years to make though so even if it gets renewed for a second season I don't know when it would turn up.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 6, 2023

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Vandar posted:

Season five of Adventure Time is fuckin' weird.

I watched up to Wizards Only, Fools last night, and I swear every episode for a while now has left me like :psyduck:.

EDIT: It kind of owns they did a Mystery Dungeon episode.

I think season 5 is when Adam Muto took over or around there and he's a real oddball.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That is the season I feel Adventure Time really hits its stride. Season 4 had hints of it in episodes like I Remember You, but Season 5 is where I basically want to watch all the episodes of the season. Any season that gives us Simon and Marcy and Puhoy almost back to back is a winner.

Started watching Scavengers Reign. Good show. Not as much of my cup of tea as Blue Eyed Samurai, but I like this sort of Annihilation style weird landscape well enough. That red haired guy is certainly suffering some karmic justice.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Scavengers Reign is frustrating me with the ways characters make decisions. They seem very arbitrary about when they'll take danger seriously, and it's kind of made me check out of otherwise tense situations because it feels like they're often just being shoved along on wacky adventures and will obviously escape yet again for no reason. The animation and a lot of it is really fantastic and it's still fun to watch, but it just feels weird how consistently they've tried to reinforce that the planet is super dangerous but also have characters just act wildly impulsively with no consequence all the time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s not been totally clear to me how long they’ve been there, what was already known about Vesta or planetary ecosystems generally, and what kind of educations the crew have. On that last one, they’re somewhere between TNG and Alien in terms of their depth of knowledge and ability to do some science to figure it all out. There’s enough ambiguity that I can let some of the nonsensical stuff slide (let’s use these weird muck creatures as respirators for this toxic cave; these other weird things will inflate and let us leave the cave!) if it means more cool trippy Metal Hurlant/Heavy Metal visuals.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Why are those two examples anymore nonsensical than picking up a rock and using it to smack open a lock, or using fishskin to bind a wound? It just seems like they're sourcing tools from the local environment.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

Thank you for recommending this. After the first episode I was hooked and ended up watching the whole thing yesterday.

The animation is great, the plot does not shy away from the harsh realities of Japan at the time, the characters are great, and while I was able to figure out parts of the plot it didn't detract from its enjoyment. I was even surprised by how much female and male nudity it had, and not just for the sake of nudity.

My only complaint right now is a cliche samurai movie one. Misu is a Terminator and any one of their wounds should have taken them out. Hell, one episode ends with them barely alive and the next starts a few hours later with them looking fully healed. Its a small complaint since there are countless examples of that in lots of media, *cough* John Wick *cough*

At the end of the day I would recommend anybody reading this thread to check it out, its probably your jam.

Edit: I forgot to mention the music. Its good but I was not expecting the modern songs showing up I was loving floored when a cover of Metallica's "For Whom The Bell Tolls" starts playing while they are staring down the boss castle.

Regarding the terminator- I kind of half agree. It's unbelievable but at the same time it's kind of a narrative way to show that your hero is not invincible. And I appreciate that to get to where she is in life, Mizu had to make a tremendous amount of self-destructive decisions.

Edit: Also episode 6 to 7 there is an invisible timeskip. Several weeks have passed from winter into spring.

Also here is the song, and yeah it's a banger. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUaU5d9xERE

Here is hoping enough eyes get on it so we can get a second season. I'm kind of considering making an effort post thread outside this one about it. Fun fact about the series, Michael Green and Amber Noizumi's daughter is the inspiration since she's bi-racial and has blue eyes. Amber had the thought one day that blue eyes in Edo japan would receive a lot of horrible racism.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 6, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

after seeing the recommendations here I gave Blue Eyed Samurai a go. Very cool, but i admit i had to laugh at the notion that smuggling a few thousand guns into japan could make one the (second?) richest man in the world

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

after seeing the recommendations here I gave Blue Eyed Samurai a go. Very cool, but i admit i had to laugh at the notion that smuggling a few thousand guns into japan could make one the (second?) richest man in the world

I kind of got the vibe that they were an organization and Fowler may have been the ringleader since he knows the other 3 personally.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Open Source Idiom posted:

Why are those two examples anymore nonsensical than picking up a rock and using it to smack open a lock, or using fishskin to bind a wound? It just seems like they're sourcing tools from the local environment.

They seem like the kind of thing that would take a lot of time and deep daily familiarity for it to even occur to the humans that the things they do are even possible, let alone steel up their courage to try it, or to work it into a daily routine.

Same goes for the slicing their way into that cow-like creature at the very beginning of the series to connect its guts to the battery or whatever, which itself is bizarre. Did they just land and are desperately trying to get their batteries hooked up? Or have they been there "months" as I think the dialogue says once?

Another example, Azi having pseudo-tamed that big white flying creature, that knocks her supplies off her perch on the big bone tree thing. That's as quick a shorthand for "we've been here a long-rear end time" as I can think of

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There are several shots in the first episode where survivors have marked off days on the walls, so they've been on planet for a while (at least a month, perhaps two, I think?) I think both Kamen and Ursula have them. That's enough time to have observed the local creatures even without using Eli or whatever tech / stored data was in the escape pods.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I've given up on rationalising those "use a creature like a tool" parts, because not one of them has made sense to me. It's just all vibes now.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Data Graham posted:

They seem like the kind of thing that would take a lot of time and deep daily familiarity for it to even occur to the humans that the things they do are even possible, let alone steel up their courage to try it, or to work it into a daily routine.

Same goes for the slicing their way into that cow-like creature at the very beginning of the series to connect its guts to the battery or whatever, which itself is bizarre. Did they just land and are desperately trying to get their batteries hooked up? Or have they been there "months" as I think the dialogue says once?

Another example, Azi having pseudo-tamed that big white flying creature, that knocks her supplies off her perch on the big bone tree thing. That's as quick a shorthand for "we've been here a long-rear end time" as I can think of

The opening of the first episode has two company guys talking about the losing contact with the Demeter in the vicinity of planet Vesta. When one asks if there was any likelihood of survivors in the case of a crash the other says "I hope not for their sake".

So based on that I have assumed that this isn't the first excursion there (especially with Sam's argument with Kamen on the ship prior to the crash about wanting to avoid getting too close to the weird activity from the unstable sun in Vesta's system) - someone else must've either crashed and escaped or there was a proper surveying exercise by the company done at some point.

The survivors have been there long enough to trial and error some stuff for sure but they still needed some sort of starting point and basic knowledge.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Rewatching the first episode of Scavengers Reign and feel like an idiot for not noticing this the first time:

The forest is a loving brain :doh:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

starkebn posted:

I've given up on rationalising those "use a creature like a tool" parts, because not one of them has made sense to me. It's just all vibes now.

Yeah, I decided that they have scanners that tell them what's useful and how to use it. Some things like the balloon creatures are straightforward but the sequence inside the cow in the first episode is too elaborate to have been figured out through trial and error. G

That said, the vibes are excellent (if unsettling) so I'm willing to forgive the apparent leaps in logic.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah, I decided that they have scanners that tell them what's useful and how to use it.

I think this will by my head canon from this point, too.

It's just a show; I should really just relax [/MST3K]

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Data Graham posted:

Something to consider here is that, when Ursula is connecting the guts to the battery, the port she uses is clearly labelled "BIO":

So... it was designed to interface with biological parts? Before anyone knew it would have to be used on this planet?

Open Source Idiom posted:

There are several shots in the first episode where survivors have marked off days on the walls, so they've been on planet for a while (at least a month, perhaps two, I think?) I think both Kamen and Ursula have them. That's enough time to have observed the local creatures even without using Eli or whatever tech / stored data was in the escape pods.

Ursula's wall has 72 marks (that we can see)

Kamen's walls are more interesting. First we get this shot, of a wall with 70 tallies:

...but then later in the scene we get a shot of a different wall, with... another 75, 80? Tallies on it:

So they've been there two and a half months at least, maybe five.

...I don't know how many months it would take for me to work out the facemask fish, though. More than that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I can believe they figured some stuff out somehow, the parts that get me are when they come across something they’ve clearly never seen before and try to touch it. That’s like Prometheus level “aw you’re really courting death now”

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ccs posted:

I can believe they figured some stuff out somehow, the parts that get me are when they come across something they’ve clearly never seen before and try to touch it. That’s like Prometheus level “aw you’re really courting death now”

The third episode makes that idea text, with the conflict between Ursula and oldmate. These people have been stranded for maybe half a year now, guess some of them have decided they finna be touching things

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Edit: Also episode 6 to 7 there is an invisible timeskip. Several weeks have passed from winter into spring.

What I had in mind was the switch from episode 5 to 6, or whatever episode that has the flashbacks to Misu's past and has the Kabuki theater framing. At the end of that Misu can barely walk yet the next episode they are fine. It seemed like at most a day had passed.

The next episode also has them take absurd levels of damge yet is still able to fight.

Its a minor complaint and doesn't detract from how good this show is.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Watched the first eps of Blue Eye samurai. Pretty baller start.

Funnily enough, I immediately guessed the end-of-episode twist because Erskine's Mizu gave me super Naoto (Persona 4) vibes to the point I thought it was Anna Graves voicing her.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

though i do agree that not every cg show needs to stagger its animation to 3s and 4s, i think some anime would actually look a little weird if the characters had full smooth motion. anime series have a lot of shots of simple pose to pose conservation where you expect a lot of stillness. i think the constant motion of a western CG show would look kinda weird with cel shaded anime models unless they went for more naturalistic character acting in every shot.

there's a fair number of CG shows in the west that ALSO do basic pose to pose (likely for budget reasons) and it's just as awkward to me so maybe breaking it up into 2s/3s is better for those

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Yea I feel like Vesta is at least vaguely mapped already.
I'll say it again, but this is a spoiler for the most recent episodes.
they called Vesta's moon ABANDONED not empty. People have been to Vesta

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Personally I sort of just write off all of the wacky animal-tool shenanigans as being more from the pilot episode. No need to abandon the whole idea because it's fun to watch, even if it doesn't always make sense.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
They are explanations you could invent or infer, and the show wouldn't really be better for their inclusion since "how did they figure out how to do that" isn't what it's about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I wondered how the old lady knew everything but then they gave her two explicit reasons, so fair play.