Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah what impression I have of Paradox is generally positive but the last two games I've bought from them have been like barely functional early beta poo poo and I'm not enthused about it. CS2 is a lot more playable than Star Trek Infinite at least.

Paradox's reputation has definitely taken a noticeable downturn over the past couple years among everyone I know who follows them, but it's not the sort of thing that gets immediately reflected on quarterly earnings. I hope they somehow manage to turn things around but I'm not holding my breath over it.

(I'm also particularly salty bc I pre-ordered CS2 even though I almost never preorder games, and I've been reminded there's a reason for that :v)

I'm extremely curious how their iteration of the Sims will turn out with this slump, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Why are my subway tunnels popping up alerts that they don't have pedestrian connections :psyduck:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

woke kaczynski posted:

Paradox's reputation has definitely taken a noticeable downturn over the past couple years among everyone I know who follows them, but it's not the sort of thing that gets immediately reflected on quarterly earnings. I hope they somehow manage to turn things around but I'm not holding my breath over it.
It's funny, because it's really a return to the old Paradox reputation. Which makes it pretty unlikely that they'll turn things around, since the logic of a publicly traded company now strengthens the bad tendencies the company already had.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i saw someone complain that cs2 does not have a good endgame and im not really sure what to think of that

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

i saw someone complain that cs2 does not have a good endgame and im not really sure what to think of that

“I ran out of oil and then after awhile prices went up and my entire city stagnated??? 0/10”

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I keep getting huge lakes of water in the middle of my town with no real way of draining them, running slopes into the river/ocean doesn't seem to do uch of anything.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ostrava posted:

It's got problems but is still a great game to zen out and play while listening to a podcast. Edible(s) optional. PDX doesn't have a habit of abandoning games either. There'll be tweaks and updates for sure.
Well there is that Rome game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

But yeah by and large Paradox's lovely buggy release game reputation is at least a little soothed by their 'it will genuinely be a good game two years after release' reputation and the long popularity lifetimes their games have after they reach that point.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 5, 2023

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Poil posted:

Imperator was hurt by PDX fans despising the points system (the 'mana' system) even before release, and abandoning the game in droves and never returning.

They did make it a much better game but the players never gave it another shot.

CS2, I think, won't have that problem.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Another interesting nugget from the reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17o9bp6/apparently_the_game_has_ground_scatters_theyre/

Ground scatters. That long grass on the ground isn't manually placed, they're rendered by the game if you enable a setting through the developer mode. Seems to be unfinished, hence why it's disabled. Wonder if they'll finish it up at some point and turn it on, or if its an experiment that didn't work out the way they wanted.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I hope they model the individual blades of grass too.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

piratepilates posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17o9bp6/apparently_the_game_has_ground_scatters_theyre/

Ground scatters. That long grass on the ground isn't manually placed, they're rendered by the game if you enable a setting through the developer mode. Seems to be unfinished, hence why it's disabled. Wonder if they'll finish it up at some point and turn it on, or if its an experiment that didn't work out the way they wanted.

That's actually neat. I don't like the pool table flat green in the game.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I don't know if it's the patch or my new city's better focus on providing education, but since the patch low density demand has been reasonable but office demand is INSATIABLE.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

piratepilates posted:

Whoa. Hopefully this gets added in because flat plains areas look pretty crappy right now.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Ihmemies posted:

I hope they model the individual blades of grass too.

The grass also has fully rendered teeth

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

If anyone wants to read a really in-depth review of the rendering pipeline and causes of the performance issues, take a look at this: https://blog.paavo.me/cities-skylines-2-performance/

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I can't believe it allowed me to add this upgrade to my landfill

Chalking this up to bugs
Landfill is almost at max

I have it to empty out
It's only using 1/20 vehicles
And the 1 vehicle it is using, is only transporting 1/2 it's capacity

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 5, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

I can't believe it allowed me to add this upgrade to my landfill

Chalking this up to bugs
Landfill is almost at max

I have it to empty out
It's only using 1/20 vehicles
And the 1 vehicle it is using, is only transporting 1/2 it's capacity

Just bulldoze it and build it again.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I keep running into an incredibly annoying bug(?), where adding a road perpendicular to an existing road messes up the zoning, causing buildings to suddenly not be allowed to be where they are anymore. Removing the new road doesn't fix it because it doesn't change the zoning, only an elaborate restructuring of the entire existing road networks sometimes does. Or loading the last autosave, of course.

This seems like a very dumb oversight.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah that’s messed up. And where your zone-able grids are sometimes depends on which direction you draw your roads.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Ugh, maps have way too high elevation gradients. Cities end up looking like this geometry warping grossness.

Gimme more flatter maps damnit!

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.
I somehow laid my subway tracks in such a way that trains would poof out of existence about 100 feet down the line and dump all of the passengers, who would then walk back to the platform and wait for the next doomed train. Naturally this led to an ever-growing number of Cims caught in public transit purgatory. My aboveground station had over a thousand Cims by the time I noticed. Whoops.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Ugh, maps have way too high elevation gradients. Cities end up looking like this geometry warping grossness.

Gimme more flatter maps damnit!

There's some workarounds and if you plan ahead you can get a good result

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfpFi9LOff8

but, the way its handled in the game now is bad, and it puts a lot of work on the user to prepare everything so that it looks serviceable.

Sometimes even just making the zoned part of the lot a little smaller, like in parts of the video. If the game only used a smaller footprint if it detects a certain height difference, it would resolve a lot of the visual errors.

I'm getting pretty used to levelling and smoothing the terrain I'm about to build stuff on.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Poil posted:

I'm not going to lie, I'm kind'a done with games set in Rome for a good bit. I suspect many people share that sentiment.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

One of the few nice parts of Monday, a new "Word of the Week" for this game dropping:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-2.1607615/ posted:

Another week, another patch! If you missed them then you can find the full patch notes here:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/patch-notes-for-1-0-12f1-hotfix-steam.1606507/

The most discussed change in this patch was the removal of a radio ad after it was pointed out to us that it came off as offensive. We want Cities: Skylines II to be welcoming to all, so we decided to remove said radio ad.

This week we are really digging into Garbage. It looked like the Garbage feature in the game has bugs that affect the balance of it in an unwanted way. The work started earlier by identifying the following issues:
- Garbage collection bug, that is caused by the garbage trucks just disappearing mid-journey.
- Garbage accumulates too little and City Service buildings that process garbage are out of balance.
- Garbage City service buildings which are just placed get their storages filled with garbage seemingly out of nowhere which then prevents them from collecting garbage from the city.

Now that these bugs are fixed we can look into the balance of the feature as the processing buildings don’t go through the garbage quickly enough and this causes issues with the export. If the city doesn’t handle the garbage internally, excess garbage is exported outside of the city. The downside of exporting is that it takes time and causes traffic leading to unhappy citizens, so it’s beneficial to process the garbage in the city for a faster outcome to please the crowds.

Another issue I mentioned last week was about stray dogs. In the next patch, the amount of them is fixed so that we don’t end up with an insane number of abandoned packs of dogs all over the city. Newlyweds should just welcome their partner’s dogs to the family and not leave them behind. Plans to fix this issue caused immediate debate if we should turn this bug into a feature. I for one would absolutely welcome the idea of an animal shelter DLC with a bunch of policies and all sorts of animals needing rescue in the city!

While on the topic of DLCs, we will not release new paid content for Cities: Skylines II before the outstanding performance issues are fixed to our standards. As a small team, we must focus on the task at hand to avoid spreading too thin. We are also very much looking forward to starting to go through your suggestions for Cities: Skylines II, such as adding some beloved quality-of-life improvements already familiar from the predecessor that were missed in the sequel due to priorities and time constraints.

My pledge to you is that Colossal Order will keep working on Cities: Skylines II so it will reach its full potential. To reach that potential we also need to talk about modding. Next week I’ll be focusing on the status of the Editor and what it will have when it’s ready for release. Check out this video to get an idea of what’s coming!

Sincerely,
Mariina

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

piratepilates posted:

fixed so that we don’t end up with an insane number of abandoned packs of dogs all over the city

refund time

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

There's a lot of cities in the world where packs of stray dogs are a regular feature. Keep it in the game.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you produce a surplus of specialized goods (lumber, grain, etc.) it would seem they should get exported for cash. I can’t find any indication on any screen that this is happening. Am I missing something or is the surplus currently just “waste”?

(I realize you export power and water in a way that seems correct).

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

piratepilates posted:

One of the few nice parts of Monday, a new "Word of the Week" for this game dropping:

quote:

The DLCs that are listed for the Ultimate Edition may suffer delays, especially the ones set for release in Q4 2023. The Beach Properties assets have been under construction for a while, but as the coding recourses are tied to the improvements and we're having to pull the artists for more urgent tasks this will directly affect the DLC development. It is very likely we'll have the first DLCs for Cities: Skylines II release in Q1 2024. We are committed to delivering the promised post-release content even if they must be delayed for some time.
Guess they've got all artists working on lods and mesh optimizations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you produce a surplus of specialized goods (lumber, grain, etc.) it would seem they should get exported for cash. I can’t find any indication on any screen that this is happening. Am I missing something or is the surplus currently just “waste”?

Not at my pc atm, but I’d expect the profit in this case to go to the specialized industry who, after deduction of transport costs, indirectly pays higher taxes to you + has money to invest in itself/level up?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kyte posted:

Guess they've got all artists working on lods and mesh optimizations.

pulling teeth

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I would really like the ability to designate a district for a certain industry, or have specialized industry influence what's built nearby.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I could be wrong but it's my understanding that it does get exported, but surpluses of basic mats don't make much money so it's best to leave it as small a surplus as possible so you're not wasting non-renewable resources

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cities Skylines II: this week we are really digging into Garbage

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Deki posted:

I would really like the ability to designate a district for a certain industry, or have specialized industry influence what's built nearby.

I could be wrong but it's my understanding that it does get exported, but surpluses of basic mats don't make much money so it's best to leave it as small a surplus as possible so you're not wasting non-renewable resources

Are the resources still exhaustable in C:S2 ? At least farmland should not, and trees are replanted.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

nielsm posted:

Are the resources still exhaustable in C:S2 ?
I can find no indication that they deplete.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

nielsm posted:

Are the resources still exhaustable in C:S2 ? At least farmland should not, and trees are replanted.

Yes, I'm talking about coal/ore/oil

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Popete posted:

pulling teeth

:D

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Turbo stalled out, and wew the game does not make it at all obvious why.

Happiness is a net +36, +17 from wealth alone. Residential taxes are nil, there are approximately an entire population worth of unfilled jobs in level 3 or higher workplaces, most of which still have room for even uneducated/poorly educated.
Zone demand, meanwhile, is a flat 0 across the board.
While the new residential district is a far haul from the industrial area, it's got light rail all the way out at a low-but-proving-it's-working 10% ridership, and in addition even the old residential district refuses to grow any houses in new zones at any density. In fact, my entire drat city (except for the under-grade highway feeding the new residential area!) is shown at 0 suitability for residential except for the first few minutes after a reload, from downtown high-rise blocks to tiny low-density outposts that are just every amenity possible, a few zoned tiles, and a highway straight to work.

I guess it might be a lack of light commercial and thus of gas stations? I literally have a km-long strip of nothing but gas stations, that's all that grew when I made one of everything off the end of my grid.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

nielsm posted:

if they want to go all-in on simulation they should make both farmland (in the form of arable topsoil) and fresh water depletable at the most "realistic" end

overexploitation of both is currently occurring in the real world and it would be cool to provide the player with options to attempt to address the situation with different trade-offs as long term strategy. like maybe you choose to limit agricultural use in order to conserve water for the city, or remediate agricultural land in a way that risks polluting the water source you're using

maybe changes the nature of the game but an expansion pack would be a cool place to explore these mechanics. I don't think I've played a city builder that has you attempt multi-decade goals

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

imo resources to be extracted are an odd thing to have in a city builder in the first place. Water is one of the few direct resources a city tends to extract. Almost everything else (and often including water) is met via trade of some sort. Importing products or importing resources to make products.

It seems like a popular mechanic for the game, just saying to me it doesn't really fit. I've got Factorio for that.