Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Who? I was gonna guess Wilfork but he went at 21 overall.
Richard Seymour and Jerod Mayo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I can't believe Belicheck drafted the coach who's going to replace him.

Speaking of which, there's an article that suggests the Pats trade for Vrabel, which...I mean, I'd be down if the compensation is right, but not if we get stuck with Belicheck right after getting a promising rookie QB when we still have to rebuild an OL.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Mega64 posted:

I can't believe Belicheck drafted the coach who's going to replace him.

It’s very Shakespeare.

Forgot Mayo went that high, thought he was also further back in the first.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

trevorreznik posted:

I think the only regular season fumble Rodgers had in his career went 30 yards forward and was then picked up and run into the end zone for a free TD

Still one of the funniest plays in NFL history

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It’s very Shakespeare.

It brings me no joy to say so but 2008 was in fact quite far back in the past :corsair:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It’s very Shakespeare.

Yeah, it's a chicken and egg problem of... the Patriots haven't had high draft picks under Belichick, that Mayo one was due to fleecing the 49ers. Even expanding to top 20 picks, that only adds another good DE in Ty Warren in '03, a pretty solid LT (for the PATS) in Nate Solder, Mac Jones, who was the correct process even if they've straight ruined him since, and Christian Gonzalez this year who looked darn good before his injury.

Bill's done pretty good with his top 20 draft picks, all premium positions too.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Fair enough I was specifically thinking about first round picks on offense which have almost universally been meh to disastrous, but I guess my one sentence shitpost did not fully convey this

He has been weirdly good with later round picks

We don't talk about all the second round DB picks from tiny schools in the middle of nowhere (except Kyle Dugger). Remember Ras - IR - Dowling?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

I looked up the Patriots draft picks. It is somewhat depressing. Some years they didn't have many picks, but they still whiffed.

Looking at the last 4 years drafts, because that's the length of an entry level NFL contract:

2019 - All the picks are off the team. The first round pick was N'Keal Harry who is out of the league if I understand. The 2nd round pick (Joejuan Williams) is also out of the league. Damian Harris (one of 3 3rd rounders that year) is still on the Bills, not sure if he is any good still.

2020 - They drafted 10 players! 4 are still on the team / worth anything (Uche, Dugger, Jennings, Onwenu). They drafted two tight ends that I think are out of the league? They drafted a white supremacist kicker. Good times.

2021 - They drafted eight players, only three are starters (Mac Jones, Christian Barmore, Rhamondre Stevenson).

2022 - They picked #69 Cole Strange. The two Jones they added look promising. They drafted a RB who they have since traded for OL help (not sure how much help they are) Tyquan Thornton isn't looking too promising. They also got a DE who may help. Again some of these players might develop more.

2023 - I think this one is a little too early to call, but Christian Gonzalez looks promising. Keion White could be good down the line. They got a kicker and a punter. They got Sidy Sow who might be ok. Again these guys can still potentially develop some more.

By my count that is around 15 players that are draft successes. The roster is 53 men deep. The Patriots had to round out their roster with expensive FA. The reason they have so much cap space is none of their own players are worth retaining. That would be my argument for why Bill the GM has to go.

Also that is why I wanted the Patriots to blow it all up at the trade deadline to get as many picks as possible to maximize their chances for success.

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 6, 2023

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Not according to the thread title

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Anderson Koopa posted:

They drafted a white supremacist kicker. Good times.

wait what I missed this

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Pontius Pilate posted:

wait what I missed this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Rohrwasser

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

You can believe in dumb stuff and be mistaken when you're young, but if you are going to get inked about it I feel like you have done some research somewhere along the line.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anderson Koopa posted:

They got Sidy Sow who might be ok.
I refuse to believe that this is a real person's name. Though if it is, it definitely sounds like a guy that Bill would overdraft. Especially if he went to Rutgers.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Anderson Koopa posted:

2019 - All the picks are off the team. The first round pick was N'Keal Harry who is out of the league if I understand.

He plays for the Vikings

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Cognac McCarthy posted:

He plays for the Vikings

I stand corrected, I thought that they cut him. Also Duron Harmon is surprisingly still in the league.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I refuse to believe that this is a real person's name. Though if it is, it definitely sounds like a guy that Bill would overdraft. Especially if he went to Rutgers.

It gets even wilder, he's Canadian. Also for the all names list, Atonio Mafi.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

y kant Herbie throw downfield

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

AndrewP posted:

y kant Herbie throw downfield

The Jets defense is blanketing everyone. Keenan isn't a burner, Sauce is locking up QJ, and the other WRs are Jalen Guyton who just came off of IR and a practice squad player

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Josh Palmer is out?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

a neat cape posted:

The Jets defense is blanketing everyone. Keenan isn't a burner, Sauce is locking up QJ, and the other WRs are Jalen Guyton who just came off of IR and a practice squad player

oops that was supposed to be a GDT post but good to know

Chargers should have tried to pry Hollywood Brown from AZ maybe

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Josh Palmer is out?

Yeah he got hurt last week

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The Jets pass blocking is atrocious.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I don’t think Zach Wilson should start next week

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
So still your QB eh Saleh?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chargers defense showed up against an admittedly bad Jets offense.

Chargers offense played predictably bad against an outstanding Jets defense, but didn't turn the ball over or gently caress things up too badly.

Dicker the Kicker rules, Darius Davis rules

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://x.com/fbgchase/status/1721740598820929845?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Combine with:

https://twitter.com/fbgchase/status/1721728217935913029

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

LMAO

What an incredible stat

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I feel like Zach Wilson once again being the Jets starting QB and the exact same thing happening as last year needs to get somebody fired.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I bet Josh Dobbs coulda won that game

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Wilson starting next week should be cause for firing Saleh.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

100% accurate statement.

https://x.com/andrewsiciliano/status/1721747933564162290?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

everyone in the world thinks it's exaggerated that the jets could make a team besides themselves look lovely even after they did it to the chiefs and eagles as well as the bills who may not be on that level but do decimate bad teams very badly. i'd be more than fine with that kind of win against them especially when there are matchup issues on top of it all. chargers are charging and that's that

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Tuli is really loving good, also.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I enjoy that Chargers fans get to feel like this was awful after a 27-6 victory, and I don't think they're Kawalimusing this. The Jets are just that bad on offense even though that D still plays their rear end off. It's like Breece Hall ripping off a huge play or nothing it seems.

It's not like the Chargers defense has been covering themselves in glory this year.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I enjoy that Chargers fans get to feel like this was awful after a 27-6 victory, and I don't think they're Kawalimusing this. The Jets are just that bad on offense even though that D still plays their rear end off. It's like Breece Hall ripping off a huge play or nothing it seems.

It's not like the Chargers defense has been covering themselves in glory this year.

Really enjoyed watching the front 7 this game. Mack, Bosa, and Tuli looked great. Kenneth Murray has really turned things around and has been a joy to watch since the Minnesota game

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Is Herbert hurt??? Had like 100 yards. Ekeler had 7 targets and only 2 catches. I imagine these would be the highest percentage type throws

I only watched the last 5 mins od the game. Does Herbert suck now?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

EmbryoSteve posted:

Is Herbert hurt??? Had like 100 yards. Ekeler had 7 targets and only 2 catches. I imagine these would be the highest percentage type throws

I only watched the last 5 mins od the game. Does Herbert suck now?

Do yall not know how good the Jets defense is?

Seriously, they make all QBs look bad

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

They did not make Dak Prescott look bad. But yeah, everyone else.

The Jets D drags every QB down to Zach Wilson’s level so they can hopefully turn the game into a coin flip. Hence the 4-4. Hence Zach Wilson is 8-8 as a starter since last year despite being dog vomit.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I don't think you disagree, but the fact that this is 100% accurate should ALSO result in firings, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Oh noooooo

https://twitter.com/JOEL9ONE/status/1721744638401196517