Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

:laugh:

e: horrible snipe. have a dysfunctional family circus as a tax:

manero fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

EasyEW posted:

It's easy to assume a big part of it was because in the 1970s that "one thing" was made up of just shy of 20,000 individual school districts, each with their own school boards, superintendents, but also their own PTAs, who would be more than happy to give a school system blowback from personal disruptions to morning routines (because of that last thing Hwurmp just said).

Anyway, reports of kids getting run over by cars at pre-dawn bus stops played a huge part in killing the experiment very quickly.
Which I always found odd, since if you live even semi far north the kids are going to school in the dark anyway when it's winter(I certainly remember waiting for the bus in the dark in winter, back in the 90s). It makes setting the clocks back feel even more performative than it already is.

Cloth pads actually are a thing and they're not terrible to wash! :eng101: (not that the author would know that)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Cloth pads actually are a thing and they're not terrible to wash! :eng101: (not that the author would know that)

No clue where I would have gotten any in the 90's, but they're pretty easy to get your hands on now. Thank god for Etsy.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Doomykins posted:

Tom, Space Cadet is pretty decent. Rock solid gag and timing on the last strip there.

Not looking forward to character assassination for Bets. Sure, being influencer crazy is a problem. Still not balancing that scale with all the bad sides we've seen of Gunther.

Rip Haywire is competent but permanently locked in a comfort zone tied to dragging comics out to fill the year. It's never bad but I've stopped reading it too.

I just realized with Holbrook, who I try to avoid reading but skimmed today. OK, so you can't kill anyone you know because that's murder and not preying on them, very significant difference totally provable either way, fine. Why don't herbivores ever kill in self defense? Cause I skimmed the strips and thought "it's really nice of them to take those wolves prisoner." I assume there's some stupid poo poo like "the magic bird people forbid guns" but you're telling me nobody carries a knife? Yeah yeah, the "heroes" are "good" except for that bone spitting fatality for the avatar of death rabbit child, el oh el.

IIRC the last time this got brought up, the herbavores are only allowed to use their natural weapons to defend themselves. Except the one human, because his species has trait is "tool use."

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hostile V posted:

Well, Here We Are.

What laws have they actually broken though? It's perfectly legal to kill and eat others.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
it's a hate crime if you're doing it out of racism, presumably, as opposed to just being hungry? that's my guess at the holbrook logic. and probably to Make Commentary the judge will let them off because they can't prove it wasn't just hunger

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Here’s the real problem with the NOPE coyotes being taken away strip: A bat mixed with a hedgehog is indeed an abomination. It wouldn’t be able to fly, or have enough quills to defend itself. I know it’s magic Holbrook world, but he’s trying to make a statement about the real world. Making it an allegory for racism is terrible, because it implies that there’s something physically wrong with mixed race children.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

manero posted:

Pluggers

gently caress you, joy of cooking or get the gently caress out my kitchen

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Better Homes cookbook is respectable, imho; the real shame move is being a grown-rear end adult and still using those cookbooks marketed at college guys with names like For The Love Of God Don't Put A Raw Egg In Your Mouth You loving Idiots

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hexwren posted:

gently caress you, joy of cooking or get the gently caress out my kitchen

I've got a copy of my maternal grandmother's cookbook binder of recipes she's found/collected over the past 60 years and it's a godsend. Some of my favourites are photocopies of recipes she typeset herself on a Macintosh II in the early 90s.

I don't ever have aspirations of seeing the world live long enough for me to have grandkids, but if by some miracle that happens, I'm going to make sure they get a copy.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Arlo? Do you need to talk about something?

Powered Descent posted:

So, why didn't the schools just start an hour later? Does it really make more sense to shift the schedule of everything in the country than for one thing to pick a time that makes sense for it?
Because that would require them to admit that dragging your kid out of bed at 7 in the loving morning is not in fact Absolutely Necessary.

Mister Olympus posted:

it's a hate crime if you're doing it out of racism, presumably, as opposed to just being hungry? that's my guess at the holbrook logic. and probably to Make Commentary the judge will let them off because they can't prove it wasn't just hunger
They've been hollering non-stop about how mixed-species babies are unnatural, they have no way to prove it *was* just hunger.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 04, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 21, 1960)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doomykins posted:

I just realized with Holbrook, who I try to avoid reading but skimmed today. OK, so you can't kill anyone you know because that's murder and not preying on them, very significant difference totally provable either way, fine. Why don't herbivores ever kill in self defense? Cause I skimmed the strips and thought "it's really nice of them to take those wolves prisoner." I assume there's some stupid poo poo like "the magic bird people forbid guns" but you're telling me nobody carries a knife? Yeah yeah, the "heroes" are "good" except for that bone spitting fatality for the avatar of death rabbit child, el oh el.
Using the knife is also illegal because it's not your "natural abilities".

Funny enough nobody including the author seems to think about "being stomped to death by a rhino" or "stabbed with a rhino horn" or various other things because yes, a lot of herbivores will loving fight to the death in real life.

EDIT: Also yes, the human kid's Species Has Characteristic is "Tool Use". Also, there' a cat who's a car mechanic. No, the comic doesn't seem to think these don't match up.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah, it's not unusual to get angels this time of year. Seraphim in particular; they're looking for a warm place to overwinter.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

I love these kinds of jokes but I still feel compelled to point out that there *are* examples of humanoid angels in the Bible, Internet jokes be damned.

(There are also Heavenly Beings with all kinds of crazy looks so carry on).

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

BigglesSWE posted:

I love these kinds of jokes but I still feel compelled to point out that there *are* examples of humanoid angels in the Bible, Internet jokes be damned.

Look, some nights Nice Lady In A Robe Angel is on Jeffy-watching duties, some nights it's Wheels and Eyes and Wings and More Wheels And More Eyes Angel. The important thing is that they rotate shifts fairly so nobody is stuck in the interminable hell of hanging out with Jeffy

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Anyone not stuck on singing "Holy Holy Holy is the Lord of Host" 24/7 is lucky tbh.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I'm trying to work out what exactly she said that should shock the dentist. His goggle eyes indicate there's some sort of punchline but I cannot detect it.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm trying to work out what exactly she said that should shock the dentist. His goggle eyes indicate there's some sort of punchline but I cannot detect it.

Her mom also looks vaguely unhappy with the explanation

Too sex adjacent adjacent maybe?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Can any Canadians in the thread confirm if they find the belly button obscene?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

Forgive me for linking another YouTube video from a random channel, but here's a decent video on this subject.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd9TlGDZGkI

Roll Credits

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i know i should save the biotruths for Holbrook, but loving hell Lynn, do not let a toddler near a new dog mom! Kids get loving bit for less than that, and even a dog who loves kids can go after people who get too close to their pups.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/6/03

Brenda Starr 1/10-12/52

Smokey Stover 11/3/57

Everyday Movies 12/9/36

"Her tonic is all gone and I suppose she'll stop taking it now, just when I was beginning to feel the benefit of it myself."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/9-11/42

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 1/10-12/52

Really hoping this is some kind of bloodsport.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Driver going from feeling ashamed to proud of his dad has been such a wholesome arc. :3:

Oh man, the look on Maggie's face. I can't wait for her to verbally eviscerate Copper Ma once he comes back home. :allears:

Cowslips Warren posted:

i know i should save the biotruths for Holbrook, but loving hell Lynn, do not let a toddler near a new dog mom! Kids get loving bit for less than that, and even a dog who loves kids can go after people who get too close to their pups.

I know people said this is what parenting was like in the 80s, but it feels so careless. Every time FOOB has a strip where the toddler wanders outside the house by herself gives me anxiety, like that time she slipped into the neighbor's yard to sleep next to their dog.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Looking forward to Val's adventures with Mario in Dinosaur Land

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

amigolupus posted:

I know people said this is what parenting was like in the 80s, but it feels so careless. Every time FOOB has a strip where the toddler wanders outside the house by herself gives me anxiety, like that time she slipped into the neighbor's yard to sleep next to their dog.

just let them play with the lawn darts & cleaning chemicals, it'll build character

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/9-11/42

I don't know, I could see the real Red phrasing it the same way even if he was pushing the chair. A friend of mine in college used a motorized wheelchair, and if we went somewhere on campus without using a car, it was perfectly normal to say that we all walked there, without bothering to clarify that one of us was technically rolling. (It was usually sufficiently obvious from context whether or not we meant that a miraculous muscular-dystrophy-curing light had beamed down from heaven.)

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Getting some Boltar vibes from Vultan's poo poo-eating grin here. I hope this means he and Flash Gordon get to kick so much rear end together.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

amigolupus posted:

Keep in mind that from her own recollection, Lynn was a lovely parent IRL (throwing her own kid out into a snowstorm because it was being a baby). But also taking place 40 years ago in suburban Canada, kind of feels like another, safer world.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

A fine Brian Blessed right there.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Getting some Boltar vibes from Vultan's poo poo-eating grin here. I hope this means he and Flash Gordon get to kick so much rear end together.

For comparison:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

They've been hollering non-stop about how mixed-species babies are unnatural, they have no way to prove it *was* just hunger.
This is probably the most unrealistic part of the entire story because they're coyotes, of COURSE it should be about hunger. They are a species that is driven by the impulse of 'put food in my mouth' and they are endlessly crafty and passionately determined about it; making them into bigots driven by an ideology beyond 'meal now yes please' is a crime against not just biology but reality itself.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Looking forward to Val's adventures with Mario in Dinosaur Land
Val strikes me as a guy that would never master the Yoshi sacrifice jump. Would Mario respect that or look down on him for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J