Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Also if we didn't have people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
What the public hears: "Buses need seatbelts and airbags"

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/gunsnrosesgirl3/status/1721500701950398670

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Also if we didn't have people

take out the buses, and the sidewalks. then put up bumper car railing, and put bumpers on the cars. no more auto accidents, and everyone gets to bump the assholes in traffic. i have solved all traffic woes. you're welcome.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cat botherer posted:

Good thing no one ever has to walk to and from parking spots.
Do you not have a smaller car to drive to your regular car in? You should get one.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Or maybe, just maybe, we could build road infrastructure
Sounds like a bad idea.

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

that's a great idea - most new cars now have wifi and bluetooth, they can just start pinging each other so both the driver and the pedestrian know when they're getting too close
You're thinking needlessly high-tech. Just have all car dashboards emit a chorus of piercing shrieks and screams whenever a proximity sensor detects anything within two metres. That'll keep the driver alert and encourage keeping a safe distance between vehicles.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tiggum posted:

Do you not have a smaller car to drive to your regular car in? You should get one.

Sounds like a bad idea.

You're thinking needlessly high-tech. Just have all car dashboards emit a chorus of piercing shrieks and screams whenever a proximity sensor detects anything within two metres. That'll keep the driver alert and encourage keeping a safe distance between vehicles.

I'm liking this idea. But what if we just made cars sound like UFOs?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

I'm liking this idea. But what if we just made cars sound like UFOs?
Shrieks on the inside, UFO on the outside, problem solved

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Manufacturers are already piping in fake engine noise to the passenger compartment to keep manchild drivers happy, they should just change the rev sounds to the Wilhelm scream
Stall horn but for speeding.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 16:42 on Nov 7, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Manufacturers are already piping in fake engine noise to the passenger compartment to keep manchild drivers happy, they should just change the rev sounds to the Wilhelm scream

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I guess the 1.5 drivers per Cruise car was a lie, that must've included other operations people (I assume like people keeping the servers running etc.) because new article says

quote:

As far as the ratio of remote assistance advisors to driverless vehicles on the road, the Cruise spokesperson said, “During driverless operations there was roughly 1 remote assistant agent for every 15-20 driverless AVs.”

Apr 7, 2003

I think I'll take what the Cruise spokesperson says with a grain of salt

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I heard they contractually obligate that Cruise gets to do its own stunts.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Cruise CEO or someone was on hacker news a couple days ago saying something like "cars only request intervention 1-2% of the time they're driving and sometimes the vehicles proactively requested intervention early to be safe and it didn't end up being needed so the cars don't really need much human intervention at all" and it's like... no actually that's a completely absurd amount of manual intervention for an allegedly self driving car

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

1-2% of the time

what I’m hearing is they need six sigma

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

2% of a 2 hour drive is 2 mins and 40 seconds of someone communicating directions with your car via tremendous input lag because the car thinks its too unsafe to make its own decisions

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Tbh I heard drivers argue that speed limits are unsafe because they force drivers to look at their speedometer and not the road, so we should have someone supervising everyone behind the wheel just in case.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Real hurthling! posted:

2% of a 2 hour drive is 2 mins and 40 seconds of someone communicating directions with your car via tremendous input lag because the car thinks its too unsafe to make its own decisions

Yeah and I want to know if it’s split up into five “tricky” intersections or just one long struggle or a large number of “is this light red y/n? Please respond.”

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its the austin powers tunnel cart k turn

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

revolting

Apr 7, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

Tbh I heard drivers argue that speed limits are unsafe because they force drivers to look at their speedometer and not the road, so we should have someone supervising everyone behind the wheel just in case.

I straight up saw someone on local social media today argue against a ticket they got for passing a stopped school bus because it was in the opposite lanes and “it’s unsafe to look away from what’s in front of me.”

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I straight up saw someone on local social media today argue against a ticket they got for passing a stopped school bus because it was in the opposite lanes and “it’s unsafe to look away from what’s in front of me.”
I bet that person stops for pedestrians in crosswalks a lot

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ensign Expendable posted:

We should implement a speed governor on all cars then so you physically can't go over the limit. That way you don't need to monitor it yourself.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

if that’s in dublin ive biked that

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think it's this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cykelslangen

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

I bet that person stops for pedestrians in crosswalks a lot

he was dumb enough to post his summons

Passing a school bus *and* blowing through a crosswalk

mystes
May 31, 2006

For a second I thought §3345 was $3345 which would have been a much more reasonable fine

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

We should implement a speed governor on all cars then so you physically can't go over the limit. That way you don't need to monitor it yourself.

my need to accelerate out of dangerous situations :ohdear:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

*Dangerous situations include being on the road

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

mawarannahr posted:

my need to accelerate out of dangerous situations :ohdear:

Motorcycle safety instructor in North America: "Ehhh, it's pretty rare that you'll find yourself in a situation where you need to accelerate out of danger."

Motorcyclists in India:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

well that tiger doesn’t belong on that path at all i hope he gets a ticket

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Mister Speaker posted:

Motorcycle safety instructor in North America: "Ehhh, it's pretty rare that you'll find yourself in a situation where you need to accelerate out of danger."

looool what, the only reason i wasnt run into, sideswiped, tboned or crushed againat a wall MULTIPLE TIMES in 15 years of riding is accelerating away from the psychos on the road

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Ammanas posted:

looool what, the only reason i wasnt run into, sideswiped, tboned or crushed againat a wall MULTIPLE TIMES in 15 years of riding is accelerating away from the psychos on the road

Lol yeah, I’m sure that was it. Not racing your motorcycle like a maniac, lanesplitting in rush hour, and just being a general fuckface. Go back to Reddit :fuckoff:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ammanas posted:

I mean sure, I don't doubt that it happens, but let's be honest with ourselves here. You don't narrowly avoid a collision by twisting the throttle and then immediately go trade your bike in for a supercharged Kawasaki H2R. We bought our bikes because they're fast and it's more fun to go fast on a bike than in a car. Let's be adults about this.

And the closest call I've ever had on the road was when someone in an SUV turned left in front of me (from a sidestreet into the opposite direction of traffic, not from head-on) and stopped when they saw me. Acceleration isn't even a factor but I've got big brass balls and I'm goddamn Kevin Schwantz on the brakes, that's what saved me from slamming into their left rear door.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Mister Speaker posted:

I mean sure, I don't doubt that it happens, but let's be honest with ourselves here. You don't narrowly avoid a collision by twisting the throttle and then immediately go trade your bike in for a supercharged Kawasaki H2R. We bought our bikes because they're fast and it's more fun to go fast on a bike than in a car. Let's be adults about this.

And the closest call I've ever had on the road was when someone in an SUV turned left in front of me (from a sidestreet into the opposite direction of traffic, not from head-on) and stopped when they saw me. Acceleration isn't even a factor but I've got big brass balls and I'm goddamn Kevin Schwantz on the brakes, that's what saved me from slamming into their left rear door.

idea that you dont accelerate out of dangerous situations is nakedly untrue. you have two options, be ahead of the other dangerous drivers and maintain your safety boundaries or ride with/be passed by people barely paying attention to driving their suv while watching tiktok.

The Top G posted:

Lol yeah, I’m sure that was it. Not racing your motorcycle like a maniac, lanesplitting in rush hour, and just being a general fuckface. Go back to Reddit :fuckoff:

lanesplitting in rush hour is what lanesplitting is for. why would you lanesplit if there isn't congestion

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ammanas posted:

idea that you dont accelerate out of dangerous situations is nakedly untrue. you have two options, be ahead of the other dangerous drivers and maintain your safety boundaries or ride with/be passed by people barely paying attention to driving their suv while watching tiktok.

lanesplitting in rush hour is what lanesplitting is for. why would you lanesplit if there isn't congestion

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lanesplitting ftw

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Ammanas posted:

I'm not speeding around like a loving psychopath, I'm just staying ahead of the dangerous drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I like it when drivers let you know to just completely avoid them by doing poo poo like run their wipers at full speed when it was raining ten minutes ago.