Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Famously there are more recorded nuclear explosions than confirmed nuclear explosions so that seems like it can't be possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

RedSky posted:

I haven't heard that name in years.

If my account vanishes it's because either my wife or employer discovered it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/07/middleeast/israel-mood-gaza-war-intl-cmd/index.html

quote:

As global leaders continue to pile pressure on Israel over the mounting civilian death toll from its bombardment of Gaza and huge crowds gather for pro-Palestinian protests in cities like London, Washington DC, Berlin, Paris, Amman and Cairo – almost all in support of civilians in Gaza, rather than Hamas – many Israelis are getting frustrated with what they see as unequal treatment.

It’s a feeling that cuts across the deep divisions within Israeli society: the world does not understand us.

“The world loves us as victims. I’m sorry to say that, but yes, they love Israel, they sympathize with the Jews when we are victims, when they kill us. But when we do things to protect ourselves? No,” Sigal Itzahak told CNN.

:qq: "No, you just don't understand us!" :qq:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Gay soy nazis etc

After WWII, Japan pop culture experienced a dramatic shift towards infantilized, cutesy schlock. Obsession with children's cartoons, anthropomorphized animals, and so on. Even today, serious warning signs and so on have a touch of cartoonification, as if to tone down their seriousness.

I know this borders on pop-psychology, but I wonder if there isn't a similar phenomenon at play here. The subtext of the society is so violent and aggressive that pop culture over-corrects as a kind of coping mechanism.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nobody loved you as victims, and in fact people want you destroyed because you cannot learn a drat thing

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Frosted Flake posted:

Is shadow banning real?

yes, although it's a nebulous definition and every personal information harvesting social media site uses different methods.

I'll discuss twitter since it's the only one of the garbage sites I still use.

The most obvious is the bluntest: you can't like, comment or repost a shadowbanned post. Twitter does this automatically and instantly for certain keywords that they don't instaban for (any variant of KYS/neck yourself is a keyword-triggered instaban, racial slurs typed out in full are "limited") The blunt instruments of "delete this post/we won't let people share this post" are generally announced to the user so it's not really a "shadow" ban.

Then there's the whole suite of tools they use that are not obvious and don't get announced to the user targetted. Search limiting prevents your posts from showing up in search. Algorithm deboosting stops your posts from showing up on the algorithmic feed even if they'd otherwise show up (lots of interactions, likes, retweets whatever) They can also make it not show up on the chronological feed of people you follow, but that's less common because it's pretty obvious to people that a friend just vanished but going to their profile shows a bunch of posts you've never seen.

The easiest shadowban to spot is on most posts: "show more replies". There's no paging limit on twitter's endless scroll, no hard cap of 100 replies before you need to click to see more. Any reply hidden under a clickthrough is content/account that they've decided to limit the visibility of for whatever reason.

More on topic, nu-twitter is absolutely loving with the state department in hilarious ways, because elon didn't get the memo that it was supposed to be a propaganda outlet and fired all the spooks working in content moderation. So unlike every other social media site you can see hamas videos shared widely, and images of victims of IOF bombing campaigns don't get taken down for gore or even marked as sensitive for days/at all. It's probably the only place you can get actual uncensored news even if he insta-caves to any demand from any government: unlike the rest there's no "non-governmental" moderation team proactively trying to suppress wrongthink, and individual takedown orders don't work when thousands of people are sharing their stories.

The only other place that accidentally comes close to telling the truth about the genocide is tiktok, and that's only because the government of india bans it outright so the massive genocide fanclub there can't flood it with pro-israel propaganda.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

An interesting thought exercise:

https://twitter.com/SetPixels/status/1721731279476195641

https://twitter.com/SetPixels/status/1721731284870082685

https://twitter.com/SetPixels/status/1721731288435167440

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Destroying Israel's ability to make genocide must be priority for the 21st century

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

haha the song at the beginning

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Nonsense posted:

Nobody loved you as victims, and in fact people want you destroyed because you cannot learn a drat thing

No no, he's got a point, most people sympathize with victims. Unfortunately for Israel the last time they were victims was before the nakba.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Frosted Flake posted:

If my account vanishes it's because either my wife or employer discovered it.

Final words: This isn't grrrreat!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Hatebag posted:

i heard they're putting fentanyl on the hostage posters and if you take one down they human traffic you

no. gently caress off with this minimizing nonsense people have already been sliced up taking these posters down. Not linking the video since there's a lot of blood.

It's a pretty standard nazi tactic that they've done for ages I have no idea why you'd pretend it doesn't happen.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
You stop being a "victim" the moment you bomb a hospital, I think.

Or put Gazans in an open-air concentration camp.
Or stop fuel, water, electricity and fuel from going into Gaza.
Or use white phosphorous on civilians.
etc.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Is Elon still personally making sure that pro-Palestinian account can't have any followers? Because the tools they have are so dogshit that's pretty much the only way they were doing that.

https://twitter.com/Pal_ActionUS

I don't think whatever was going on before is still going on. Whether it was intentional or not wasn't proven as far as I know, but that of course is part of the control system, even if this particular instance was clumsy.

This sounds like :tinfoil: poo poo but it's actually just how social media works.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

PhilippAchtel posted:

After WWII, Japan pop culture experienced a dramatic shift towards infantilized, cutesy schlock. Obsession with children's cartoons, anthropomorphized animals, and so on. Even today, serious warning signs and so on have a touch of cartoonification, as if to tone down their seriousness.

I know this borders on pop-psychology, but I wonder if there isn't a similar phenomenon at play here. The subtext of the society is so violent and aggressive that pop culture over-corrects as a kind of coping mechanism.

Someone made a good point about this being what nazi pop culture strove for, to kind of compensate for and mask the horrors of such a profoundly anti-human ideology

I also liked the comparison of Ted Lasso in this regard

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

PhilippAchtel posted:

that seems a little just-so to me. I think the reason Israeli propaganda is so cutesy is that as Israeli culture gets more and more fascist and death-culty, it’s harder and harder for them to even understand how western audiences think or what they want. this is an earnest attempt to appeal to western liberals - and while western liberals are in many ways childish, they are usually not literal children, which is one reason the latest propaganda campaign seems to be falling so flat.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Harik posted:

no. gently caress off with this minimizing nonsense people have already been sliced up taking these posters down. Not linking the video since there's a lot of blood.

It's a pretty standard nazi tactic that they've done for ages I have no idea why you'd pretend it doesn't happen.

i wasn't trying to minimize it, just lolling that they're actually doing the things that people have little urban legend social panics about.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

You stop being a "victim" the moment you bomb a hospital, I think.

Or put Gazans in an open-air concentration camp.
Or stop fuel, water, electricity and fuel from going into Gaza.
Or use white phosphorous on civilians.
etc.

John Darnielle paraphrased posted:

The best ever death machine out of Tel Aviv
Never settled on a name
But the top three contenders after weeks of debate
Were Satan's Fingers, and The Killers, and The Hospital Bombers

I would accept any of these names as an honest rebrand of the IDF.

Hatebag posted:

i wasn't trying to minimize it, just lolling that they're actually doing the things that people have little urban legend social panics about.

lolling at that which actually is not loving funny is in fact a staple of this forum but I still think that post was fuckin atomic cringe

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

These days I have a pair of garden gloves at the bottom of my bag on my commute. they were originally for patriot front stickers/posters when those were big in my area, but I guess I’m ready for these idiotic missing person posters if I see any.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

uninterrupted posted:

yeah, it's a straightforward process. social media companies don't want to face regulation, so the put together content moderation teams. these teams get populated by a bunch of ex-LEO and intelligence folks, because a. it's hard to argue the CIA dude is "promoting Russian propaganda", and b. they have connections on the government side telling them specifically what to censor. social media doesn't face actual regulation, and the government gets to pretend there's no censorship, and what you see on FB is just what the world thinks

the idea that regulating different companies is split up by nato/fbi/cia is suspect though. these companies hire a large swath of each, and those people reference think tanks documents and research that fill in whatever gap might exist from not literally having someone who worked for nato on staff.

not trying to say it's like an assigned area or anything, just what i remember from the stories.

tik-tok/nato story: https://www.mintpressnews.com/nato-tiktok-pipeline-why-tiktok-employing-national-security-agents/280336/

twitter/fbi: https://www.mintpressnews.com/twitter-hiring-alarming-number-spooks-secret-agents/281114/

facebook/cia: https://www.mintpressnews.com/meet-ex-cia-agents-deciding-facebook-content-policy/281307/

reddit/atlantic council: https://www.mintpressnews.com/jessica-ashooh-reddit-national-security-state-plant/277639/

...somethingawful/bellingcat :getin:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

These days I have a pair of garden gloves at the bottom of my bag on my commute. they were originally for patriot front stickers/posters when those were big in my area, but I guess I’m ready for these idiotic missing person posters if I see any.

I don't leave the house without thick work gloves, a knife and a box cutter because 95% of the time I'm outside I need at least one of these things. But, I have yet to see a single one of these signs.... in Vermont. If I notice any when I am shopping I will do the needful, but I might just print a bunch of STOP PALESTINIAN GENOCIDE NOW signs on sticky paper and tape them the gently caress over. That way even if I don't find any Hate Signs I can leave some gently caress this genocide signage.

I don't know how much any of this matters but I do think people are way more impacted by signage they see subconsciously than they tend to realize. Any time I drive back over the NYS state border and realize I am being made actively anxious by all the huge billboards (which all illegal in VT), this is in my mind.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

oh no. Israel is going to make anime 2.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

fits my needs posted:

the follow up articles for this after people start burning out and try to escape should be interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxtiiK_jSCc

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

I imagine similar articles were written about Rhodesia

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I imagine similar articles were written about Rhodesia

I bet we can find a bunch of really gross stuff from European and American papers about Germany written in the 1926-1939ish timeline, which would also look suspiciously similar to this.

I am so tired, the whole of my adult life and what I understand before it is just the same levers being pushed ever faster and more cynically.

But this one really feels like a breaking point to me. This is just the most absolutely cynical, one-sided "coverage" full of lies that I've seen about anything, and I was pretty media aware during 9/11, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Ukraine. All that stuff was hosed but now it feels like some of it was just testing the waters.

And what's going on now feels like "well we tested the waters and think we can actually do this, lets see what happens". gently caress I am angry.

edit: I killed my Reddit a while ago, Reddit posting seems like the worst kind of burger posting. ducks hard before the snowballs start flying at me

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 15:50 on Nov 7, 2023

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Harik posted:

yes, although it's a nebulous definition and every personal information harvesting social media site uses different methods.

I'll discuss twitter since it's the only one of the garbage sites I still use.

The most obvious is the bluntest: you can't like, comment or repost a shadowbanned post. Twitter does this automatically and instantly for certain keywords that they don't instaban for (any variant of KYS/neck yourself is a keyword-triggered instaban, racial slurs typed out in full are "limited") The blunt instruments of "delete this post/we won't let people share this post" are generally announced to the user so it's not really a "shadow" ban.

Then there's the whole suite of tools they use that are not obvious and don't get announced to the user targetted. Search limiting prevents your posts from showing up in search. Algorithm deboosting stops your posts from showing up on the algorithmic feed even if they'd otherwise show up (lots of interactions, likes, retweets whatever) They can also make it not show up on the chronological feed of people you follow, but that's less common because it's pretty obvious to people that a friend just vanished but going to their profile shows a bunch of posts you've never seen.

The easiest shadowban to spot is on most posts: "show more replies". There's no paging limit on twitter's endless scroll, no hard cap of 100 replies before you need to click to see more. Any reply hidden under a clickthrough is content/account that they've decided to limit the visibility of for whatever reason.

More on topic, nu-twitter is absolutely loving with the state department in hilarious ways, because elon didn't get the memo that it was supposed to be a propaganda outlet and fired all the spooks working in content moderation. So unlike every other social media site you can see hamas videos shared widely, and images of victims of IOF bombing campaigns don't get taken down for gore or even marked as sensitive for days/at all. It's probably the only place you can get actual uncensored news even if he insta-caves to any demand from any government: unlike the rest there's no "non-governmental" moderation team proactively trying to suppress wrongthink, and individual takedown orders don't work when thousands of people are sharing their stories.

The only other place that accidentally comes close to telling the truth about the genocide is tiktok, and that's only because the government of india bans it outright so the massive genocide fanclub there can't flood it with pro-israel propaganda.

fun fact! it's absolutely not comprehensive but you can see some little bits of how content gets categorized and moderated in that twitter algorithm repo: https://github.com/twitter/the-algorithm/blob/main/visibilitylib/src/main/scala/com/twitter/visibility/models/SpaceSafetyLabelType.scala

quote:

case object DoNotAmplify extends SpaceSafetyLabelType
case object CoordinatedHarmfulActivityHighRecall extends SpaceSafetyLabelType
case object UntrustedUrl extends SpaceSafetyLabelType
case object MisleadingHighRecall extends SpaceSafetyLabelType
case object NsfwHighPrecision extends SpaceSafetyLabelType
case object NsfwHighRecall extends SpaceSafetyLabelType
case object CivicIntegrityMisinfo extends SpaceSafetyLabelType
case object MedicalMisinfo extends SpaceSafetyLabelType
case object GenericMisinfo extends SpaceSafetyLabelType
case object DmcaWithheld extends SpaceSafetyLabelType
case object HatefulHighRecall extends SpaceSafetyLabelType
case object ViolenceHighRecall extends SpaceSafetyLabelType
case object HighToxicityModelScore extends SpaceSafetyLabelType

case object Deprecated extends SpaceSafetyLabelType
case object Unknown extends SpaceSafetyLabelType

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

PhilippAchtel posted:

An interesting thought exercise:

Oh you mean like the Tulsa massacre

Morbus
May 18, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

....But smaller.

bomb them in the leg

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

“I used to consider myself part of the extreme liberals, whatever they call themselves.

Doing a kick flip off a bulldozer mowing down a family home and family

Radical! Killing entire families.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

If people are afraid of razors behind posters, then why don’t they just use a crow bar or something to rip them down

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

oh ok fair. yeah tiktok specifically has a wide swath of folks. LEO specifically, but also a lot of the folks coming out of the post-9/11 fusion centers whose whole jobs were to pass risk information between different public and private orgs. I'm 100% sure that's why they've got that big office next to Union market in DC.

sidenote the fact that a handful of posters came out of nowhere after this conflict started to post hasbara taking points makes me think someone's looking at SA. probably a few dudes being paid hourly by Israel, but there's a justification to be made that those man hours go further in a small forum like SA or bodybuilders.com or neopets.com than being the 8 millionth twitter poster to say maybe Palestinian hospitals blow up by themselves.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Clip-On Fedora posted:

If people are afraid of razors behind posters, then why don’t they just use a crow bar or something to rip them down

that's how i get staples out

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

And oh yeah for the poster who is wondering what happens to Israeli arabs that prot3st the genocide

quote:

Dozens of Palestinian residents and citizens of Israel have been arrested in Israel for expressing solidarity with Gaza and its civilian population. Israel Police said that as of October 25, it had arrested 110 people since the start of the war for allegedly inciting violence and terrorism, mostly on social media. Of these arrests, 17 resulted in indictments.

Public displays of solidarity with Gaza or criticism of Israel’s military response are few and far between. Demonstrations against the war have been banned and more than 100 people have been arrested for posting messages of solidarity with Gaza on social media.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Clip-On Fedora posted:

When the fash got poster and sticker happy a bunch of folk got to carrying around small plastic scrapers

You can also use a old id/membership card

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

my bony fealty posted:

oh no. Israel is going to make anime 2.

ah gently caress

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/ItsBCJim/status/1721701335945416846

https://twitter.com/ItsBCJim/status/1721704839275757758

https://twitter.com/ItsBCJim/status/1721705956613280110

https://twitter.com/PAstynome/status/1721833424519065618

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

uninterrupted posted:

oh ok fair. yeah tiktok specifically has a wide swath of folks. LEO specifically, but also a lot of the folks coming out of the post-9/11 fusion centers whose whole jobs were to pass risk information between different public and private orgs. I'm 100% sure that's why they've got that big office next to Union market in DC.

sidenote the fact that a handful of posters came out of nowhere after this conflict started to post hasbara taking points makes me think someone's looking at SA. probably a few dudes being paid hourly by Israel, but there's a justification to be made that those man hours go further in a small forum like SA or bodybuilders.com or neopets.com than being the 8 millionth twitter poster to say maybe Palestinian hospitals blow up by themselves.

maybe they're just hustling for some gift cards

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/arcticnead/status/1720458877169193152

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is a shadow ban basically the same as a hell ban?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
while looking for that old vid, i found this tweet from march 2023.

the link in the tweet is dead but it's here: https://new.thecradle.co/articles/palestinian-islamic-jihad-calls-for-third-intifada-against-israel

quote:

The Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) called on all Palestinians to take up arms and “expand” the conflict against Israel in all occupied territories of Palestine, The New Arab reports.

Following a large-scale military drill dubbed ‘Loyalty to the Revolutionary West Bank’ by PIJ militants in Gaza, spokesperson Abu Hamza called for unity among Palestinians across the occupied territories – both in the West Bank and in the 1948 territories – and mobilization against Israel for what he described as an “intifada that will create the basis for the end of [Israel] and its expulsion from all of Palestine”:

“We call on all the fighters among our people and the free people in the West Bank and in Israel to mobilize for this war, so that there will be an overall intifada that will create the basis for the end of our enemy and its expulsion from all of Palestine.”

During a conference on 12 March, senior PIJ official Khaled al-Batsh said that “the situation in the West Bank is similar to the situation before the occupation’s withdrawal from Gaza.”

“The occupation cannot resist its defeat, so we have the power to force it to leave our lands. We must unify our efforts to fight one of the most dangerous colonial states in the world,” he added.

In addition, the senior official called on Fatah and Hamas to unite with the PIJ against Israel.

Last year in December, the Lions’ Den also called for unity among the Palestinian resistance factions during an armed parade in the Askar refugee camp in Nablus, West Bank, to commemorate the group’s fallen leaders Ibrahim al-Nabulsi and Tamer al-Kilani.

The group was formed independently in August 2022 and rose to prominence following successful attacks against Israeli military and settler targets in the occupied West Bank, particularly Nablus, which has been the scene of increased Israeli military activity in recent months.

According to The Jerusalem Post, the founders of the Lions’ Den have established contact with Gaza-based resistance factions and their representatives in the West Bank.

On 23 February, the Israeli military launched an aggressive raid in the West Bank city of Nablus, killing 11 Palestinians and injuring 102. The UN’s High Commissioner for Human Rights, Volker Turk, condemned the attack and criticized Israel for the use of “explosive projectiles.”

However, the Israeli attack was met with a counter-shooting operation on highway 60 near Huwara, Nablus, where a Palestinian man shot and killed two Israeli settlers with an M-16 rifle.

In response, Israeli settlers launched an attack against Palestinians in Huwara, attacking people with knives and guns. It was also reported that the settlers set fire to two Palestinian homes in the same area.

On 6 March, settlers under the protection of the Israeli army stormed Huwara south of the occupied West Bank city of Nablus – firing live ammunition at Palestinians, throwing stones, and vandalizing vehicles in the second rampage on the town in a span of ten days.