Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

AndrewP posted:

he was a year removed from one of his best when they signed him!

That doesn't suddenly make him immune to aging or accumulated injuries.

e: like are you really making the argument that a sudden upswing in production for a 37 year old is actually not the statistical outlier here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Even if the Jets had a different QB their OL still sucks rear end.
A lot of team have OLs that suck rear end. Bad OL play is an epidemic. Those teams can still score touchdowns on occasion.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

He'll only be three years removed from that great season once next year kicks off!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

You only believe that because Rodgers never got the chance to show he was not the big name you remember him to be. He got hurt fast enough that he can live on as a what if fantasy in your head that is always going to be better than reality. I don't know if you remember the 4 snaps he played but he looked like poo poo and there's nothing to say that wouldn't have continued throughout the season, or that he wouldn't have gotten hurt later. Carr isn't good but he's an NFL level player and he's able to stay healthy. With the options we know were available to us, he was the best option at the time.

Like, you can see the Saints on that graph, right? How many more games do you think we win with that instead of what we actually have?

I agree with the overall point that it’s entirely possible Rodgers is just old and washed now. But lol are you serious with “his 4 snaps looked bad”? It’s a beyond meaningless sample. Mahomes’ first drive ended in a punt. Tua fumbled. Guess they should scrap those bums too.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

JETS fans chanting we want Sapp and then drafting Kyle Brady will never get old

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Docjowles posted:

I agree with the overall point that it’s entirely possible Rodgers is just old and washed now. But lol are you serious with “his 4 snaps looked bad”? It’s a beyond meaningless sample. Mahomes’ first drive ended in a punt. Tua fumbled. Guess they should scrap those bums too.

this is an entirely valid methodology in the forum that encourages Kawalimus' analysis

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Docjowles posted:

I mean what about the sample size of his entire previous year?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Docjowles posted:

You work with what you have available. He wasn't just a victim of circumstance, he was looking at wide open receivers and holding the ball until a defender hit him. Grounding your reasoning in things *that have actually happened* is better than going on imagination, which is what everyone else has available to them in this argument. If we had more snaps from him I'd consider those, just like any sane person does for any other name you mentioned.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Febreeze posted:

It's really strange the Jets didn't go out and try to sign a different cheap backup over Zach Wilson. They were screwed when Rodgers went down but Wilson is one of the worst backups in the league and you'd think they'd have realized that after last year and picked up somebody like Trevor Simian or something. Hell even Josh Dobbs. Someone different they could throw out there. Nor did they try to pick one up at the trade deadline after it was clear Wilson still sucked rear end

So how much of the Jets not picking up a QB is on Rodgers? If there's one QB even he wouldn't be threatened by post-injury it's Wilson, so I can imagine him going "look, I'll be back sooner or later, Zach's fine, don't bother with that Dobbs guy" and using whatever influence he might have to help squash any QB moves so that he can come back and play hero once he's cleared.

Obviously the Rodgers contract is a huge reason why the Jets stayed out of the QB market, but knowing what we do about Aaron, I can't discount him being secretly thrilled by how bad Zach is

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Diva Cupcake posted:

A lot of team have OLs that suck rear end. Bad OL play is an epidemic. Those teams can still score touchdowns on occasion.
True.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kiimo posted:

JETS fans chanting we want Sapp and then drafting Kyle Brady will never get old

That ruled.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Like, there's always this automatic "oh you think you know better than the front office?" response to fans during the draft. Jets fans have shown historically their drafting is significantly superior to the organization's. Like it isn't close.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 7, 2023

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The Jets roster is too good to have settled for Derek Carr with Rodgers available

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Sometimes it feels like I have a distinct financial advantage over my peers by virtue of never betting on sports. Having kids wipes that out times 100 but it's nice to have a little edge.

The god damned wasted toilet paper and food. Swear to God.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Nodoze posted:

The Jets roster is too good to have settled for Derek Carr with Rodgers available

The Jets roster is too good to have settled for Zach Wilson with the crumbling husk of Rodgers unavailable

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Nervous posted:

The god damned wasted toilet paper and food. Swear to God.

Oh my God the food. My son loves trash cans and all things trash so even if he loves a meal he'll leave a bunch on his plate to put in the compost. So wasteful, it's infuriating.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sirtommygunn posted:

Grounding your reasoning in things *that have actually happened* is better than going on imagination, which is what everyone else has available to them in this argument.

The thing is you are imagining that everything is going to stay the same based on the smallest sample size ever, and trying to shame other people for noting a very large sample size that says maybe this would not be the case once he settled in if the injury didn't happen.

There are arguments about why it was a bad idea, this is not one of them.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nodoze posted:

Aaron Rodgers and Derek Carr had pretty much the same season last year and that was with Carr being hamstrung by McDaniels.

The Jets didn’t sign two seasons ago Aaron Rodgers, they signed the one coming off a frustrating and supposedly injury plagued year where he often looked indecisive and unwilling to take what the defense was giving him. And they gave up a potential first and second rounder to do it. And they brought in a dipshit OC to entice him and signed all of his buddies.

This isn’t revisionist history, plenty of people here at the time called out that it was a bad idea to give up so much for on an old, stubborn and obviously fading QB because he was an injury risk and was unlikely to return to a level of play that warranted the cost.

The Jets would absolutely be better off right now if they’d signed Carr and drafted a tackle with the pick they swapped with the Packers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah the Jets were gambling that the year before was a fluke. Which if you want to high roll then sure go crazy, but pretending it wasn’t a gamble just because Rodgers is a name you know is insane

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the comparison to signing brady is also silly because brady is brady and every other qb gets ravaged by time. do you really gamble on a guy being the second exception to the rule?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Here's the opening day starters over 32:

Aaron Rodgers: 39 years old
Matthew Stafford: 35 years old
Ryan Tannehill: 35 years old
Kirk Cousins: 35 years old
Russell Wilson: 34 years old

They're all hurt except Wilson. If you're rolling with an old bag of bones you need a quality backup.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Aaron Rodgers and Derek Carr had pretty much the same season last year and that was with Carr being hamstrung by McDaniels.

The Jets didn’t sign two seasons ago Aaron Rodgers, they signed the one coming off a frustrating and supposedly injury plagued year where he often looked indecisive and unwilling to take what the defense was giving him. And they gave up a potential first and second rounder to do it. And they brought in a dipshit OC to entice him and signed all of his buddies.

This isn’t revisionist history, plenty of people here at the time called out that it was a bad idea to give up so much for on an old, stubborn and obviously fading QB because he was an injury risk and was unlikely to return to a level of play that warranted the cost.

The Jets would absolutely be better off right now if they’d signed Carr and drafted a tackle with the pick they swapped with the Packers.

Yeah this is a better way of putting it I think.

One possible unintended benefit I see is that Rodgers is going to gently caress off (even before the injury) in a year or two and your window with that D is right now. Carr might be just good enough to get you into QB purgatory where he's too good to get rid of and too bad to actually win anything.

At least you will know when the rebuild needs to happen this way.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 7, 2023

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Aaron Rodgers had ONE season of Carr-like production the year they traded literally Davante Adams. He won MVP at 38. Saying he was just a husk of a formerly great QB is bananas.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Aaron Rodgers is dust in the wind

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The rationale is that a team's ceiling with Derek Carr in the AFC is maybe the wildcard. Whatever. If you're optimizing for a championship level defense's window, with the assumption that you have to go through Mahomes and Burrow and Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson is that you need a QB with a high ceiling. Yeah, Rodgers is old. He also won 2 of the last 3 MVPs and there were reasonable extenuating circumstances to his "decline" outside of just OLD.

If you don't have a QB, there's are no means of getting a good one without risk.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Aaron Rodgers' 2022 season would've been Aikman's best. :smuggo:

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

AndrewP posted:

Aaron Rodgers had ONE season of Carr-like production the year they traded literally Davante Adams. He won MVP at 38. Saying he was just a husk of a formerly great QB is bananas.

manning was mvp and then two years later he was done. it's not like it's always a gradual, slow decline, it seems like a lot of qbs just hit a certain age and are never the same again

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You might say Tom Brady's arm held up his entire career until his last and he knew it was over. At some point it just doesn't fly with enough velocity to be the difference between a catch and a defended or intercepted pass.

Manning's Broncos SB he was absolutely carried

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

kiimo posted:

Manning's Broncos SB he was absolutely carried

Yeah. When people talk about bad QBs winning super bowls they should include that one. He was throwing ducks all year.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Parallax posted:

manning was mvp and then two years later he was done. it's not like it's always a gradual, slow decline, it seems like a lot of qbs just hit a certain age and are never the same again

Manning had a neck/disc injury that got worse. Rodgers' arm seemed totally fine in 2022.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Diva Cupcake posted:

Rodgers was still the correct move and they got hosed by fate. Carr is bad and expensive. Jimmy G is trash. Maybe they should have drafted Will Levis but that was never happening after the Rodgers trade.

https://x.com/fbgchase/status/1721873328225358006?s=20
Imagine rooting for a team capable of scoring touchdowns. I can't.

I know this lacks a lot of context, 3rd downs vary in length and RZ opportunities are affected by score effects and initial yard line, but still

I'm looking at the Bears and Lions placements and going :dafuq:.

That would actually be a pretty funny quiz, if the data points were plotted and you had to guess the teams, sporcle style.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Did anyone watch Rodgers this preseason or during camp? He wasn't throwing ducks. He's obviously lost some mobility but his arm is still incredible.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

AndrewP posted:

he was hurt all season and another year older. a 40 year old QB having even another Carr-like season was a risky gamble at best, and: it didn’t pay off

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Diva Cupcake posted:

Did anyone watch Rodgers this preseason or during camp? He wasn't throwing ducks. He's obviously lost some mobility but his arm is still incredible.

arm strength doesn't matter if you're on your rear end or, as it happened, the sideline

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Diva Cupcake posted:

The rationale is that a team's ceiling with Derek Carr in the AFC is maybe the wildcard. Whatever. If you're optimizing for a championship level defense's window, with the assumption that you have to go through Mahomes and Burrow and Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson is that you need a QB with a high ceiling. Yeah, Rodgers is old. He also won 2 of the last 3 MVPs and there were reasonable extenuating circumstances to his "decline" outside of just OLD.

If you don't have a QB, there's are no means of getting a good one without risk.

I don't think shooting for the moon and going with Rodgers over Carr was irrational. It makes total sense in a league where you just saw the Rams and Bucs pull it off. It's just the lack of fall back plan via a passable backup QB that is inexcusable.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This was definitely the year we were going to find out if Rodgers was washed or not and by the time he's healthy he probably will be even if we don't know for sure

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I don't think shooting for the moon and going with Rodgers over Carr was irrational. It's just the lack of fall back plan via a passable backup QB that is inexcusable.
Agreed there.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I don't think shooting for the moon and going with Rodgers over Carr was irrational. It's just the lack of fall back plan via a passable backup QB that is inexcusable.

Yeah, that feels like the issue. Jets took a gamble on a guy who was pretty recently still an MVP caliber guy with one down year as the Packers became a mess. They knew the risk going in with getting an old fart back there, which makes the not having a backup plan in place weird. I don't think going for Rodgers was a bad move, it was just clearly a gamble that immediately and hilariously backfired.

Carr would have made the Jets better than they are right now, but if they got good Rodgers, they could be feasibly up with the top of the AFC with that defense. That was the gamble, they lost.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 7, 2023

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Zach Wilson shouldn't even be in the NFL. But the Jets FO felt compelled to make him their backup under the guise of him "learning" how to play at an NFL level from Rodgers, and in doing so set this season on fire. The only rationale explanation is sunk cost fallacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

fortunately they definitely won't make the exact same gamble next year. or this year if rodgers insists on coming back in week 16. uh, right?