Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sloober posted:

It took me way too long to figure out there's a second tab so yeah, important considering the producing machines are on that tab

I hope they expand what types of things people want commissions for, it's almost always the same. Seriously I've given Amira like 40 bloodstone cores, at least Rocky changes up between rivets and bars.

Also recommend building your commission board early so you can snag the prime commissions before mi an does, once you get the recipe

You should always get prime commissions, first thing every morning beeline the commissions office, don't check mail and pray nobody talks to you, and you can snag the full pick before she takes hers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
That's why your personal board is nice, you can just slap it outside your door

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Certainly, just the way you phrased it made it sound like you had lost commissions which is easy to do if you don't ritually bumrush the place pre-board. I think they added it relatively late in development or it snuck past me because I don't think I had one until Act 2 haha.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
They hosed up by writing the rival workshop as a friendly and healthy competition. Just give me Higgins to direct my rage and spite at.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, Yan is a good little sniveling target for ire, but beating him is too easy and he too obviously cheats since you never ever actually see him build anything. Granted I'm not seeing the others work either, but they also aren't across the street where I can see them not working all day, so the illusion works better for them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The stuff about Yan makes sense later in the game at least.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Mi-An is very visibly active. It's surprising her workshop rating isn't higher.

She does a bunch of co-op quest with you.
A ton of her and Elsie's friendship events are about how much she works.
She is constantly running around the desert gathering materials. Sometimes she even beats me to scrap gathering before I can get there.

I guess the one thing I don't ever see her do is go mine in the dungeon, which could explain why she has a low workshop rating - she's resource starved.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Pen will freely admit later on that he offers the combat tutorial as an excuse to beat random people up, there are multiple weird jerks in Sandrock.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
If you marry Catori does her kid also move in with you?

Do female characters get visibly pregnant?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
how do you know which act you are in? i just built the bridge for reference

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Mad Wack posted:

how do you know which act you are in? i just built the bridge for reference

Act 1 ends after someone significant returns to town
Act 2 ends after a long dungeon with multiple boss battles.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The voice acting in this game is incredible when you swap between it and BG3

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Omnicarus posted:

The voice acting in this game is incredible when you swap between it and BG3

Its so bad it's good, it hits that endearing spot where is not just plain horrible

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

FrickenMoron posted:

I don't think he's a prick, he's just a giant turbonerd who has zero social awareness. He's pretty invested in anything that interests him, the rest does not matter.

Qi is super ultra mega autism-coded and I look forward to years of players arguing over whether that makes him The Best or The Worst

LLSix posted:

Mi-An is very visibly active. It's surprising her workshop rating isn't higher.

She does a bunch of co-op quest with you.
A ton of her and Elsie's friendship events are about how much she works.
She is constantly running around the desert gathering materials. Sometimes she even beats me to scrap gathering before I can get there.

I guess the one thing I don't ever see her do is go mine in the dungeon, which could explain why she has a low workshop rating - she's resource starved.

She also does a lot of additional work for free or at a discounted rate - like when Grace fucks up Owen's kitchen and she repairs it overnight without charging the fees Yan demands, or when she fixes the Paradise Lost entrance gate apparently just because it was there and it was bugging her. But a lot of the workshop rating numbers don't make a ton of sense... and the reasons for that start getting apparent not long after Act Two ends.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Is this game really like 100+ hours of story?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

queeb posted:

Is this game really like 100+ hours of story?

Not straight story but my first playthrough took me 125 hours, I did a lot of side activities and sidequests with people.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Incidentally, IMHO it's not really worth stressing about which perk builds will max your efficiency or which research trees to pursue; the game's paced well enough that you don't need to worry about that stuff very much, so only worry about optimization if that's your jam. If it's not, don't let all the talk of optimization scare you away from taking your time and playing your way.

The "treasure chests show up on the map" perk, for instance; is it super useful? No, not really; there generally aren't enough chests around to make it "worth" a perk point, especially in early game. I get it every time anyways; I'm not good at spotting chests organically, personally, and having them pop up on my minimap when I'm in the vicinity is handy, and besides, taking apart the wooden chests is a good way to stock up on wooden boards and hardwood planks before my wood income really gets rolling. Is that efficient? Oh gently caress no - but it suits me.

Basically, don't sweat the small stuff. You can optimize and go for the big score numbers, but you don't need to, and it's important to remember that for a game like this one IMHO

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I consider this much more of a chill, play, listen to audiobooks rather than an intense optimization experience ala Satisfactory/factorio

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The chill honestly starts to lean more into tedium for me. Running through samey environments dropkicking rocks for six seconds a piece starts to get grating pretty fast.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I do think it would not be necessarily a bad thing if they were to cut material requirements by like 25% across the board, Even just cutting ore requirements for bars would go a long way

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So a couple things to note:

1. If you have the DLC, get your pet ASAP - you can send it out to get materials for you daily, which is nice.
2. When ordering food, you can get more than one thing from each category. Stacking up a bunch of expensive stuff can give you a ton of stamina back, and even stacking up a bunch of cheap stuff can get you a decent amount without breaking the bank. You can eat twice a day, and it's very much worth refilling your stamina that way if you have the time to go around and gather.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You eventually unlock the ability to order scrap and later raw ore directly, that cuts down the tedium of mining quite a lot.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Can buy scrap and discs from the shop right next to the field from the start of the game as well. The discs especially are good to make sure something is always researching.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I really like Clitori's character design but holy moly she's a repugnant person once you get to know her

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Omnicarus posted:

I really like Clitori's character design but holy moly she's a repugnant person once you get to know her

:goofy:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone know what the breakpoints are for donating food for the dance off are? Or even if the game cares at all about donating more than one "food"?

On a related note, I Fixed the moisture farm on the same day that the dance off was announced. So I fixed the machine and Zeke thanked me, then they had a big town fireside meeting where they talked about how to live without the moisture farm. So that was funny.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Catori has extreme deadbeat dad energy. If you stick with her she kind of gets a redemption arc but you still get no money .

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Omnicarus posted:

I haven't gotten that far into her backstory but I assume it is related to the fact that she has a kid that doesn't live with her.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LLSix posted:

Anyone know what the breakpoints are for donating food for the dance off are? Or even if the game cares at all about donating more than one "food"?

On a related note, I Fixed the moisture farm on the same day that the dance off was announced. So I fixed the machine and Zeke thanked me, then they had a big town fireside meeting where they talked about how to live without the moisture farm. So that was funny.

I have no idea - I just went over to the bar and bought a bunch of rice and flour, then went to the general store and bought sandberries. I think I donated 20, 20, and then 12 to max it out on the first day.

Also had the same thing happen with the moisture farm. It was hilarious to have everyone freaking out while the farm was out of commission for like a day.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I started trying this game yesterday. A bit overwhelming, though this is likely because I have literally zero experience playing this genre of games (like Stardew or any sort of farming or Animal Crossing-like game). I feel like item management is definitely going to be A Thing, since I quickly filled my inventory with random poo poo just from walking around hitting random stuff with my axe and pickaxe. I think I saw someone else mention making a bunch of boxes to use for storage, so that definitely sounds like it'll help a bunch. Can you use stuff in storage when crafting, or do you need to manually withdraw it first?

Using the Chinese voices has been very novel. While I'm enjoying them and plan on keeping them on, I will never again condescend to people for not using the Japanese dub in games, even in games where I think it's much better. Having no idea what the characters are saying without reading the subtitles does add more of a mental "burden," while with Japanese stuff the subtitles were always just filling in the gaps in what I understood, so I didn't need to fully pay attention to them.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ytlaya posted:

I started trying this game yesterday. A bit overwhelming, though this is likely because I have literally zero experience playing this genre of games (like Stardew or any sort of farming or Animal Crossing-like game). I feel like item management is definitely going to be A Thing, since I quickly filled my inventory with random poo poo just from walking around hitting random stuff with my axe and pickaxe. I think I saw someone else mention making a bunch of boxes to use for storage, so that definitely sounds like it'll help a bunch. Can you use stuff in storage when crafting, or do you need to manually withdraw it first?

Everything in storage is considered to be in your inventory except tools, bait, and food. You also have to have an item on you to sell it at a shop and gift it.

You can craft, complete commissions, do requests, and operate machines just fine with everything else in chests. All chests are also linked to each other and can be cycled through from any one chest.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rynoto posted:

Everything in storage is considered to be in your inventory except tools, bait, and food. You also have to have an item on you to sell it at a shop and gift it.

You can craft, complete commissions, do requests, and operate machines just fine with everything else in chests. All chests are also linked to each other and can be cycled through from any one chest.

Oh, that's great to hear and will definitely simplify things greatly.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
This also means placement of chests isn't super important. They joke about organizing your stuff but honestly it's not really necessary. There's a button also that will dump all items from inventory to storage if storage already has at least one of those items.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Oh, that's great to hear and will definitely simplify things greatly.

It's by far the best QoL setup for storage management you can get in these types of games. Click auto sort and go.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Panfilo posted:

This also means placement of chests isn't super important. They joke about organizing your stuff but honestly it's not really necessary. There's a button also that will dump all items from inventory to storage if storage already has at least one of those items.

I still organize my stuff because I like chests in games being neat and tidy because my actual life is a trashfire, but yeah you could also just totally dump everything into piles in a closet and have one chest outside to access if you wanted.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Physical location of the chest doesn't matter (you can keep most of them outdoors or inside the house in a far-off room!) but unless you want to go insane if you ever need to pull something specific out, I'd suggest setting up different chests for different categories of stuff. (You can rename them, which helps a lot.)

Right now I've got chests for Artifact Stuff 1-3, Animal Bits, Cooking Ingredients, Books, Metal, Wood, Stone, Gems, Produce, Plants, Dishes, Clothes 1-3, Gizmos, Grinder Parts, etc.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Lol during the Picnic mission Arvio was invisible for the first part so it was just Amira arguing with a tree how she can't possibly find the time to go have a picnic right now.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Lol during the Picnic mission Arvio was invisible for the first part so it was just Amira arguing with a tree how she can't possibly find the time to go have a picnic right now.

She’s really gotta get better ventilation in that workshop, the fumes are getting to her.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
um, uh, p-please don't!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Megazver posted:

um, uh, p-please don't!?

So this game takes place in the distant future of the Xenoblade world. I guess it makes sense that Nia would pass away at some point, since she's already been around for so long.